These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Overall, eliminating circumstantial bias, do you like Everyday?
Yes 91 56.88%
No 69 43.13%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-21-2007, 08:30 PM   #41
FishMonkeyMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyStHokie View Post
true enough..but i also remember that the 02 tour brought lots of good stuff and the all-out hatred of everyday subsided greatly during that tour..now we're at the same point as right after the 02 tour..the 06 tour brought lots of good stuff and i feel like stand up is still getting shit on..and its odd, but stand up seemed to be about a 50/50 split when it came out..half liked it, half didnt..it seems like that ratio has moved to favoring the not liking side of it..whereas everyday went the other way..i was more in favor of stand up when it came out..but ive really moved the other direction since..
because even though i largely disagree with alot of opinions on stand up, alot of peoples dislike of stand up is justified and understandable with legitimate reasons, whereas the dislike of everyday was based largely on what wasnt not what was... people blamed that album for the demise of what they thought the band should be doing, and couldnt be objective.

everyday is dave's "shine", and shine is another great example of an album that gets shit on for the wrong reason. people hate it because they think trey was trying to become a pop act, when in fact he was just trying to prove that he could do it, and people generally are starting to really appreciate the album now. dave was trying to do the same, prove that he could do a pop/rock album, and he largely succeeded. outside of the boards, there is generally a favorable opinion of everyday. if everyday had come out without the drama of the lws im pretty confident it would have been well received, or at least much better received by this community.
FishMonkeyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 08:33 PM   #42
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyStHokie View Post
true enough..but i also remember that the 02 tour brought lots of good stuff and the all-out hatred of everyday subsided greatly during that tour..now we're at the same point as right after the 02 tour..the 06 tour brought lots of good stuff and i feel like stand up is still getting shit on..and its odd, but stand up seemed to be about a 50/50 split when it came out..half liked it, half didnt..it seems like that ratio has moved to favoring the not liking side of it..whereas everyday went the other way..i was more in favor of stand up when it came out..but ive really moved the other direction since..

I don't like SU b/c it has no music room in the songs. Its straight to the point songs just like Everyday, but with drums looped. I didn't get into DMB b/c they sounded like of pop/rock groups with music I could put on in the background and not focus on.

I'm sure thats why others and maybe you don't like it either, even most of the songs live go nowhere, for both Everyday and SU.
ggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 08:35 PM   #43
Fan#41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggies View Post
I don't like SU b/c it has no music room in the songs.
That's the one thing I'd have to disagree with. When in comparison, the SU songs have much more room to breathe vs the tunes on ED, especially in a live setting. I'm not saying one is better than the other or whatever, just that there's a lot more room within the SU songs, and some may contest that there's TOO much room which renders the ideas falling flat because the songs felt like they didn't follow through with the idea fully.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 08:36 PM   #44
Huff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
I like/don't mind 2, maybe 3 tunes off of it...none of them would be in my top 25 DMB tunes.
Ditto.

Operation Halloween 2008 = SUCCESS
Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 08:38 PM   #45
ethaxton

It's a good pop album, it's grown on me somewhat. I was always on the fence with the album, and I don't think any of Stand Up that I don't currently like will grow on me.
ethaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 08:38 PM   #46
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
That's the one thing I'd have to disagree with. When in comparison, the SU songs have much more room to breathe vs the tunes on ED, especially in a live setting. I'm not saying one is better than the other or whatever, just that there's a lot more room within the SU songs, and some may contest that there's TOO much room which renders the ideas falling flat because the songs felt like they didn't follow through with the idea fully.

interesting...then why didn't we hear the band jamming for a min. or two on any of the songs on SU? say like Crush? or the end of BOWA. I see songs with small ideas, dry, and put into action.

The new ending to Die Trying is nice, where is that on the album? stuff like that....
Old 01-21-2007, 08:39 PM   #47
FishMonkeyMan

dmb is not the beatles, obviously, so they would never do this... but someday releasing a "let it be naked" style version of everyday is something i would be for. take out some of the ballard over pop and i think it would be a solid album.
FishMonkeyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 08:41 PM   #48
Fan#41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggies View Post
interesting...then why didn't we hear the band jamming for a min. or two on any of the songs on SU? say like Crush? or the end of BOWA. I see songs with small ideas, dry, and put into action.

The new ending to Die Trying is nice, where is that on the album? stuff like that....
They did "jam" out some songs, Dreamgirl, AB Intro, SU, LB. I don't know where you were in '06, but those songs were extended live and were allowed to breathe more because they were left that way on SU. Now, I'm not saying that means they were good or great because of that, I'm just saying that it was pretty obvious that the SU songs had more room than anything off of ED. And again, i'm not saying one is better than the other because of it, I'm just pointing out that ED was tighter and the arrangements were locked. That wasn't the case with SU.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 08:44 PM   #49
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
They did "jam" out some songs, Dreamgirl, AB Intro, SU, LB. I don't know where you were in '06, but those songs were extended live and were allowed to breathe more because they were left that way on SU. Now, I'm not saying that means they were good or great because of that, I'm just saying that it was pretty obvious that the SU songs had more room than anything off of ED. And again, i'm not saying one is better than the other because of it, I'm just pointing out that ED was tighter and the arrangements were locked. That wasn't the case with SU.
oh, no, i understand what you mean live, I thought we were talking about studio albums. I know the grew live, SR still sucks ass.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:03 PM   #50
mrchattr
My office...

When Everyday came out, I was unable to get it right away. I wasn't as big of a DMB fan back then, and I wasn't in the online community at all, so I hadn't heard leaks, didn't know the whole story, never heard a LWS track, etc.

Anyway, one day, I'm driving along, and NPR was playing the whole album. I didn't know it, and tuned in around the third track, so I didn't hear I Did It. Not realizing it was DMB, I was really diggin' what I was hearing. I didn't like all the tracks, but overall, I really enjoyed it. It wasn't until Everyday that I realized what I was listening to, and I realized that, for me, Everyday is a good album. It's not amazing, it's not up to par with the other DMB albums, but I enjoy it.
mrchattr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 09:15 PM   #51
Hammajor
Allen Verbatim

I got over the Everyday debacle quickly in 2000/2001. Some of the songs I've grown to absolutely love -- So Right, for example. WTWE, too. Stand Up remains a failure in my opinion. A few great songs live. But, overal, a really bad album.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:17 PM   #52
pgr17

Quote:
We'll have this same poll for Stand Up in about 4 years.
exactly
pgr17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:28 AM   #53
seekup19
DMBML Crack Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishMonkeyMan View Post
because even though i largely disagree with alot of opinions on stand up, alot of peoples dislike of stand up is justified and understandable with legitimate reasons, whereas the dislike of everyday was based largely on what wasnt not what was... people blamed that album for the demise of what they thought the band should be doing, and couldnt be objective.

everyday is dave's "shine", and shine is another great example of an album that gets shit on for the wrong reason. people hate it because they think trey was trying to become a pop act, when in fact he was just trying to prove that he could do it, and people generally are starting to really appreciate the album now. dave was trying to do the same, prove that he could do a pop/rock album, and he largely succeeded. outside of the boards, there is generally a favorable opinion of everyday. if everyday had come out without the drama of the lws im pretty confident it would have been well received, or at least much better received by this community.
YES. this is EXACTLY what i was trying to say, in many fewer words. way to go. i agree 100%.
seekup19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:31 AM   #54
seekup19
DMBML Crack Monkey

Quote:
In comparison, the SU songs have much more room to breathe vs the tunes on ED, especially in a live setting. I'm not saying one is better than the other or whatever, just that there's a lot more room within the SU songs, and some may contest that there's TOO much room which renders the ideas falling flat because the songs felt like they didn't follow through with the idea fully.
yep. i think the problem with stand up was that there was so much room for those songs to develop they ended up seeming unfinished the more the songs were played on tour. it's one thing for jams to develop and whatnot, but to me Louisiana Bayou has a totally different vibe on the album than it does in concert, with in concert being tremendously better. it actually seems like a song live, where the album version seems very cobbled together. and that's just not how an album ought to be. there should be a certain degree of "finished" to album songs.

in Everyday's case, most of those songs were so finished it was hard to find room to breathe. WTWE will never be anything more than it is on the record. And we've seen how it took six tours for If I Had It All to actually find some wings.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:34 AM   #55
seekup19
DMBML Crack Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchattr View Post
When Everyday came out, I was unable to get it right away. I wasn't as big of a DMB fan back then, and I wasn't in the online community at all, so I hadn't heard leaks, didn't know the whole story, never heard a LWS track, etc.

Anyway, one day, I'm driving along, and NPR was playing the whole album. I didn't know it, and tuned in around the third track, so I didn't hear I Did It. Not realizing it was DMB, I was really diggin' what I was hearing. I didn't like all the tracks, but overall, I really enjoyed it. It wasn't until Everyday that I realized what I was listening to, and I realized that, for me, Everyday is a good album. It's not amazing, it's not up to par with the other DMB albums, but I enjoy it.
see, perfect. that's what i meant for this whole thread... putting aside all the drama and high expectations we have for DMB, i think Everyday is a good album.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:52 AM   #56
mrchattr
My office...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishMonkeyMan View Post
I think that a large part of the dislike with Stand Up is also based on what wasn't. We had five songs from '04 that people loved (SW, GGT, CE, JR, HA), one of which made the album...and that one was cut off in the middle of the jam. I remember getting my leaked copy, getting all into the jam there, and then it cut to the intro to LB, and I thought, "Shit, my MP3s are fucked up." Alas, I was wrong.

The community has come, as a whole, to accept a lot of the SU songs. So, I think if you took away the ones that are the least liked, and replace them with the 5 songs above (including the FULL HA), the album would have gotten a much better reception. It wouldn't be "praised" or anything, because of production, lack of "finish" to the songs, etc, but I really believe that the biggest thing against SU is the lack of those '04 songs that we all wanted.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:15 AM   #57
bidroc

I really think they were trying to catch a new wave in music after Bush got elected in 2000. Basically they decided to make a Peter Gabriel So, type album and it didnt resonate with the top 40 and further divided DMB fans.
bidroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 09:24 AM   #58
Kerwin
TDCya

Everyday tunes were executed horribly live. The first few months of the 2001 tour, the songs were literally painful to listen to.

SU on the other hand has some monster live songs.

SU is a much better album
Kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 09:32 AM   #59
mrchattr
My office...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerwin View Post
Everyday tunes were executed horribly live. The first few months of the 2001 tour, the songs were literally painful to listen to.

I think it really depends on how you determine what makes an album "good." You're talking about songs that translate well live. But to me, the production on SU is such a shame that, after hearing those songs live, it's hard to listen to the studio versions of most of them, so I would disagree with you.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:33 AM   #60
bidroc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerwin View Post

I think Bayou and AB Intro live are better than anything on Everyday except maybe So Right.
bidroc is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc