These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Overall, eliminating circumstantial bias, do you like Everyday?
Yes 91 56.88%
No 69 43.13%
Voters: 160. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-21-2007, 05:23 PM   #1
seekup19
DMBML Crack Monkey

Everyday is not a bad album.

I've listened to this album straight thru today and decided that I don't think Everyday is a bad album at all. On the contrary, I think it's a pretty solid record, and coming from any other band would be just as big a hit if not bigger than it was for DMB.

I think what crippled it for us diehards was that it came as a total surprise and was not what anyone expected at all, and hence in forming our opinions of it we looked at it thru those darkly tinted glasses.

Putting aside that bias towards the album, I think it's a wonderfully produced and mixed record. It just sounds great. And a lot of the songwriting is pretty brilliant (musically, at least... many lyrics still questionable). There are a few moments there, but overall it's a really pleasant record to listen to, and I enjoyed it a lot today.

Looking at the album with all bias aside, here are my thoughts:

I Did It -- terrible choice for the first single. If they had let us form our our pre-release perceptions of the record with the song Everyday instead I think we would have had a much better response. I think they were aiming for a clean break with expectations to attract attention, and while publicity-wise it certainly worked, I think it hurt how we perceived the album before it was even released. The video, while hysterical, is a turbo moment, and I remember how embarrassed I was to be a diehard when it came out. That said, I love the guitar riff to this song, even if the lyrics are a major .

World Ends -- should have been used as a single, 9/11 connotations aside. This is a good song. Was overplayed to death on tour, but I liked this song on first listen and still do on occasion.

Space Between -- look, a lot of you may not like it because of the blatant pop it exemplifies, but looking at this album without bias... this song is pretty solid. The production drives a lot of DMB's signature musical elements to the background, which is too bad, but I still maintain this is a really well-written song. It doesn't fit with any perception of DMB whatsoever which is probably why they don't play it anymore, but it's a decent tune on its own.

Dreams of Our Fathers -- this, World Ends, Everyday and Fool To Think sound the most "DMB" to me on this album. It's too bad it's too hard to sing and play in the live environment, because it's a pretty good song.

So Right -- I just love this song. This really, really should have been a single... much more so than I Did It. They also should have gone with the originally planned tracklisting that led off with this song.

If I Had It All -- Not a bad song. Interesting music. I kind of like the lyrics, although I still think saying "fuck" in there is simply gratuitous and cheapens the song.

What You Are -- you know, it's fun once in a while because of the energy and aggressiveness the music carries, but this song sometimes seems rather generic to me.

Angel -- the lyrics are a major moment, but I've always loved the music, and I love the production with the 12 string guitar in the background.

Fool To Think -- I love this song too. Its sound is classic DMB. When the video for this song leaked out (remember how people found the URL before it was posted, under an incorrect title?) I still think the song kind of falls apart at the bridge. My dad, who is always a fair judge of music, was way into this song until the bridge came. He said how disappointing that bridge was... how so much energy had built up, and then it just kind of muddled around from the bridge til the finish. But overall, great song.

Sleep To Dream Her -- this song suffers only a little bit on the lyrics, but the music is really totally brilliant. I love that sax part, especially the ending. On tour I grow impatient with this one, but it's great on the album.

Mother Father -- When this came out on the Warehouse 8 v2, I said something on the boards about how this is a good song that never got enough respect. I think that applies live, but on the record, although it's not a bad song, it's certainly one of the weakest ones. When the album came out I thought it was just a forced way to get Santana on the record, and I still believe that.

Everyday -- Hey, I'm a sucker, but I love this song. I always said #36 sounded unfinished and was all downhill after Red Rocks. When the album leaked on Napster this was the first song I downloaded and listened to, and in the first couple seconds I was convinced the leak was a fake, until the end of that vocal intro where you can actually hear Dave's voice coming thru. After that I just started grinning because it sounded like they actually finished #36, and it was great. The lyrics are nothing brilliant but it's a warm, happy song with a great melody and is terrifically produced. I love that 12 string on there, and wish Dave would play it on the 12 once in concert. It sounds like classic DMB, and fits well with their previous catalog.

So. Everyday. Not a terrible record. Got a lot of unwarranted criticism that should have been directed at the band instead of the album. Overall though it's a fine album that would be well above expectations of any other band. I hope they never make another one like it, but I'm willing to bet a lot of you have listened to Everyday a lot more than you're willing to admit.
seekup19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 05:27 PM   #2
Mersh

I like/don't mind 2, maybe 3 tunes off of it...none of them would be in my top 25 DMB tunes.
Mersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 05:32 PM   #3
Poth Ead
Stay boring my friends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
I like/don't mind 2, maybe 3 tunes off of it...none of them would be in my top 25 DMB tunes.
same. I mean, I can deal with Fool to Think and So Right when I'm seeing them live, but I never listen to the CD nor do I ever want to hear ANY ED songs when I see DMB live.
Poth Ead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 05:32 PM   #4
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

it is a bad album.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 05:33 PM   #5
Fan#41

We'll have this same poll for Stand Up in about 4 years.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 05:34 PM   #6
seekup19
DMBML Crack Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
We'll have this same poll for Stand Up in about 4 years.
I am curious what the results will look like. I'd vote worse, or at least I hope so, because I think Everyday shows much more effort than Stand Up.
Old 01-21-2007, 05:35 PM   #7
akleiner34

It's not horrible and I like it more than Stand Up but at the same time the album was the beginning of a new era of DMB and the DMB that is represented on Everyday and Stand Up is not the DMB that I spend time posting about on message boards.

Honestly, had I not heard the LWS, and only heard Everyday I would probably not be posting this right now and I certainly wouldn't have seen them live in the last six years.

What you Are is good, when not closing, and with The Devil intro.
If I had it All in 06 was fine live so was STDH in a certain capacity.
And for whatever sentimental reason I like The Space Between.

The studio album is plastic cheesy overproduced and unimaginative. It is a bad album, regardless of bias.
akleiner34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 05:36 PM   #8
BeQuietAndDrive
ICU

It's a lackluster effort from DMB with a number of well-written and well-produced pop songs. It's almost impossible for me to listen to this straight through, but I'll give So Right, DOOF, Everyday, and Space Between a spin every so often.

I wouldn't call it a bad album. It's just not good, coupled with the fact that it came at an awful time.
Old 01-21-2007, 05:39 PM   #9
seekup19
DMBML Crack Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeQuietAndDrive View Post
...coupled with the fact that it came at an awful time.
I know. But putting that aside though, how do you look at the album?
Old 01-21-2007, 05:40 PM   #10
Matteo44

I agree, Everyday is not a bad album at all.

Space Between and So Right are fantastic studio tracks. Fool To Think isn't great, but its one of the better tracks off of the album for sure. I've always enjoyed IIHIA and they proved in '06 that it can be decent live. Everyday is a fun song, and while it really is overplayed, I can never say that its bothered me when I've seen it at a show. I actually like it as an opener, since it gets the crowd singing along right away. Overall I definitely enjoy Everyday as an album, its just too bad that it took the place of the Lillywhite Sessions.
Matteo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 05:40 PM   #11
TheNoise
Mr. DMB, I don't feel so good.

some of the stuff is decent
TheNoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 05:53 PM   #12
orbs35
that's not sexy, bill

Even though I enjoy WYA live, I've always thought it was pretty pitiful on the album.
orbs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 05:53 PM   #13
SomeDevil17

tied at 7's
SomeDevil17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 05:54 PM   #14
CRUSHsoccer15

For what it is, they did a great job.

A great slick pop album, but it's obviously not "DMB".
Old 01-21-2007, 06:00 PM   #15
FERRALL
I'm just trying to party.

I happen to enjoy Everyday. It's light years ahead of Stand Up.
FERRALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 06:09 PM   #16
nolan8or
@GreyStreetPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekup19 View Post
They also should have gone with the originally planned tracklisting that led off with this song.
what was the originally planned tracklisting?

and i like this thread, i agree with a lot of what you're saying
nolan8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 06:09 PM   #17
Crush87

Well, apparently it "saved" Dave's life, so . . .
Crush87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 06:10 PM   #18
sarge

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNoise View Post
some of the stuff is decent
So Right and What You Are
Old 01-21-2007, 06:11 PM   #19
FishMonkeyMan

studio album with the cheesy 80s style ballard keyboards and overly glossy production... no

majority of songs on album
yes
FishMonkeyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 06:19 PM   #20
Mersh

Are people comparing it to SU or do some of you actually like the album overall?

edit: I'm not taliking to FMM
Mersh is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc