These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2018, 10:42 AM   #641
ggies
Sugar Will '04

I've posted about Shell before, but now more documents have been discovered. This you could say is an add-on to my very first post in this thread where I explain how Exxon knew about what would happen through their own internal documents.

[Only registered users can see links.]

Quote:
The report states, “Although CO2 is emitted to the atmosphere through several natural processes… the main cause of increasing CO2 concentrations is considered to be fossil fuel burning.”
Here are two other articles on the subject:

ggies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:42 AM   #642
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Everything Tesla has done up to this point has been building towards the Model 3 – a genuinely affordable mass-market EV – but it’s all for nothing if the product itself doesn’t stand up. So the question is, after spending a day in its company, do I want one? Does it have the desirability to drag not just early adopters and tree-hugging environmentalists out of their petrol and diesel fueled cars, but the wider public too? The answer is a surprisingly emphatic yes, and that’s because beyond the hype is a truly well-engineered car.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:05 AM   #643
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Ladies and Gentlemen - Earth day is next week - April 22nd.

What the studies in this article have confirmed is not good news - What is happening is a hundred years earlier than the model predicted. This is talking about one of Earth's main ways it maintains itself....and we are starting to mess with its natural ways.....

It's not enough to just Reduce, Reuse, Recycle anymore. We must switch over to sustainable energy and production ASAP.

Quote:
...how we know the slowdown is being driven by human-caused climate change: The observed fingerprint of temperature changes in the Atlantic are precisely what the models predicted would happen when the slowdown began in earnest.
Quote:
A slow-down in deepwater ocean circulation “would accelerate sea level rise off the northeastern United States, while a full collapse could result in as much as approximately 1.6 feet of regional sea level rise,”

Last edited by ggies; 04-14-2018 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-14-2018, 03:03 PM   #644
ggies
Sugar Will '04

If you missed it, Elon was on CBS morning yesterday.

Old 04-16-2018, 12:26 PM   #645
ggies
Sugar Will '04

The latest data set to show Tesla has the best chemistry in their batteries:

Quote:
The data clearly shows that for the first 50,000 miles (100,000 km), most Tesla battery packs will lose about 5% of their capacity, but after the 50,000-mile mark, the capacity levels off and it looks like it could be difficult to make a pack degrade by another 5%.
Quote:
The trend line currently suggests that the average battery pack could cycle through over 300,000 km (186,000) before coming close to 90% capacity.
Old 04-20-2018, 03:01 PM   #646
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Here are the juicy parts:

Quote:
“If you look at this thing, this is cellphone technology. This is the technology we would see in really high-end computers, normally for the government. When you look at this, you’re looking at the same kind of technology you’d see on a flight controller for an F-35, and we kind of know a little bit about that too. We do work for the military. Everything here smacks of cellphone technology and defense technology,” Munro said.
Quote:
Tesla’s batteries, however, are on a completely new level. Munro was particularly impressed with the differential between each one of the Model 3’s battery blocks.

“We went through there, and the difference was .2 milliamps. Holy, nobody can balance batteries that close. Nobody. Nobody’s ever done that,” Munro said.
Quote:
“Anybody that doesn’t look at the electronics on the Tesla (Model) 3 is out of his mind. They’re in peril. This is not some Mickey Mouse outfit that you can just dismiss. Anybody that’s in the car industry that ignores this car is doing it at their own peril,” Munro said.

“This is big stuff. This is not inching up. This is revolutionary, and everybody else is sitting there twiddling their thumbs.”
Old 04-24-2018, 08:27 AM   #647
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
All this is starting to make an observable reduction in fuel demand. And because they consume 30 times more fuel than average sized cars, their impact on energy use so far has become much greater than the than the passenger sedans produced companies from Tesla Inc. to Toyota Motor Corp.
Quote:
For every 1,000 battery-powered buses on the road, about 500 barrels a day of diesel fuel will be displaced from the market, according to BNEF calculations. This year, the volume of fuel buses take off the market may rise 37 percent to 279,000 barrels a day, about as much oil as Greece consumes, according to BNEF.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:10 PM   #648
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggies View Post
great stuff!
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:54 PM   #649
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLaKaS View Post
great stuff!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And now this:

Quote:
Last year we made a commitment to electrification in preparation for an era beyond the internal combustion engine. Today we reinforce and expand that commitment in the world’s leading market for electrified cars. China’s electric future is Volvo Cars’ electric future.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:50 AM   #650
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
In percentages, this represents an overall increase of 22% YoY, while utility saw a 64% decrease, and DG a massive 217% increase.
Old 04-27-2018, 09:40 AM   #651
ggies
Sugar Will '04

This is great to see for NYC.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Side note - Did you know that in the late 1890's there was a company called Electric Storage Battery Company (ESB) and they had a fleet of electric vehicles running around the city? Even had a charging station. Pretty cool eh? More interesting facts like this in the book I've posted about:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
New York City plans to convert its public bus system to an all-electric fleet by 2040, if not sooner, a new target announced this week by NYC Transit President Andy Byford.
Quote:
"It's a surprising development and a big deal big because this is the largest transit fleet in the country, with over 5,000 buses—that is the equivalent to over 100,000 electric cars,"
Quote:
The MTA, which has more than 5,700 buses in its fleet, already is testing 10 all-electric buses and has plans to purchase 60 more by 2019.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:04 PM   #652
ggies
Sugar Will '04

So I've never been one of those "car guys", so I wanted to post another example of someone who is/was and how they compare cars they had to their new Model 3.

Quote:
Here are my first impressions of the Model 3 vs. the past 5 primary vehicles I have owned. I am in sales and drive about 35,000 miles per year. I was super excited about the Tesla - but as the date was drawing closer I was pulled in many directions emotionally. It was a large check to write and as the time came closer I found myself looking at many other options just to "make sure" I was doing the right thing.

BMW 318i (1991) - I have always thought that the BMW was the best handling car I have ever owned. Underpowered - but the BMW had a great "feel" was perfectly balanced and was a blast to drive. The Tesla feels similar - but with X5 the power. Due to the weight of the batteries - you get the same nimble "track" feeling of the BMW - but with a lot more weight - giving the Tesla a Sherman tank feeling. It is hard to describe - it is a rocket combined with a vault. It handles like a Porsche - but you feel like you are driving a tank.

Audi A4 (1999) - The earlier Audi's were good handling cars as well - but the Tesla kills the A4. The only thing I preferred on the A4 was the amazing (old style) Quattro 4WD - but the Tesla has MUCH more power and again feels heavier and much more substantial. It's hard to explain - but imagine wearing an iWatch/ Swatch Watch that has the heft and feel and finish of a Rolex. Fit and finish - hands down Tesla.

Audi A3 (2006) - The Tesla has much better handling and way more power. This is when I transitioned to hatchbacks - and I am going to miss the space - and the trunk opening (for workboxes) - but the Tesla outperforms the A3 in nearly every single aspect.

Range Rover Sport (2009) - I hate this car / the brand / and the dealership - all around Tesla wins. I will miss the ability to load up on Mulch at Home Depot - but I can always rent the Home Depot Truck - so who cares really. I "feel" much better knowing that car will no longer pollute. I won't feel guilty over the gas bills. I was glad to trade this POS in.

Mercedes GLA (2015) - This is where I was really surprised. The Tesla has a MUCH better fit and finish than the Mercedes. The GLA rattled - it was underpowered - it is IMO (what I now realize) tacky in its design. Too many buttons and "flair". The Tesla feels MUCH larger than the GLA - it handles WAY better - not only in driving but also in absorbing bumps (normal and large). It is much cleaner - and it is silent - the Tesla has MUCH LESS tire noise.

I know many people get "new car" love - and I'm trying to look through all that - I don't really "like" driving - because I drive a lot for work. I was fearful that the Tesla would feel "cheap". It doesn't - it feels like a really well designed high-end speaker system that has both Bluetooth and Alexa built in. The "tech" takes you over - but the fit and finish are much better than any car I have owned. It is very comfortable. I am a little OCD - things tend to bother me if they are not "right" - and the Tesla just feels "right". It would be an absolutely amazing car without all the tech - but the Tech pushes it over the top - to the point where you really wonder what other car companies are going to do to catch up.

Basically what I want to say is "don't panic". It is worth the money. It is a quality vehicle all the way around. It "feels" right. I can't wait to see a 35K version. That will be an international game changer. Anyone that is thinking of shorting Tesla - go rent a Model 3 for a weekend - you will reverse your position during your first drive. No fucking way I would bet against Elon at this point.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:12 AM   #653
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
The US Department of Energy thinks that energy storage will play a big role in the power grids of tomorrow. That's why it's offering $30 million to fund energy storage systems that can hold and provide power for up to 100 hours, it announced Tuesday.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:37 PM   #654
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Not only is the Model 3 the best selling EV now, it's about to be the best selling sedan in its class. This is from the Q1 results:

Also, more info on their battery cells:

Quote:
Cells used in Model 3 are the highest energy density cells used in any electric vehicle. We have achieved this by significantly reducing cobalt content per battery pack while increasing nickel content and still maintaining superior thermal stability. The cobalt content of our Nickel-Cobalt-Aluminum cathode chemistry is already lower than next-generation cathodes that will be made by other cell producers with a Nickel-Manganese-Cobalt ratio of 8:1:1.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:50 AM   #655
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Not good guys, not good.....

Quote:
For the first time since humans have been monitoring, atmospheric concentrations of carbon dioxide have exceeded 410 parts per million averaged across an entire month
And this is the whole point of all this "climate change" talk these days - it's the rate of change that is troubling to our species, not that "climate is changing"

Quote:
The rate of growth is about 2.5 parts per million per year, said Ralph Keeling, who directs the CO2 program at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography, which monitors the readings. The rate has been increasing, with the decade of the 2010s rising faster than the 2000s.
Quote:
“It’s another milestone in the upward increase in CO2 over time,” Keeling said of the newest measurements. “It puts us closer to some targets we don’t really want to get to, like getting over 450 or 500 ppm. That’s pretty much dangerous territory.”
Old 05-04-2018, 11:53 AM   #656
ggies
Sugar Will '04

I was doing the calculations over lunch and if nothing is done and everything stays the same, then it takes 16 years to hit 450ppm and 36 to hit 500ppm. And even if we stop using all dirty energy TODAY, the planet would still heat up from all the CO2 that is in the atmosphere already.

16 years for the first one! My daughter will only be 24. Good luck to her and her children's generation......

We are going to see this in our lifetime guys.....

Quote:
"Oh, I'd love to lie to myself
to say everything is fine now.....

golden age
these golden times
our golden days seem to have us
hypnotized or blind, well...
Leaving this post on a positive note: everyone must do their part. Buy EVs, solar, battery storage when you can. Eat less meat, when you can. Pressure the politicians. Utilities have started the transition to sustainable production of energy on their own due to the economics and not our gov't. Must continue to move in a positive direction.
Old 05-04-2018, 02:10 PM   #657
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

I think Tesla is at risk of going out of business.
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 02:14 PM   #658
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambourine Man View Post
I think Tesla is at risk of going out of business.
nah, they will be cash flow positive by Q3 and Q4. Only the people in the media who like to spread FUD think that. I posted the Q1 results a few posts up, it's all there. No need to think that
Old 05-07-2018, 02:06 PM   #659
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
In September 2016, the financial ratings service Moody’s released a report on U.S. oil companies, many of which were hurting from the massive drop in oil prices. Moody's found that “the financial toll from the oil bust can only be described as catastrophic,” particularly for small companies that took on huge debt to finance fracking shale formations when oil prices were high.
Quote:
In 2017 Continental spent $294.5 million on interest expenses, which is approximately 155 percent of its 2017 adjusted net income generation. When you can’t even pay the interest on your credit cards, you are broke.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:44 AM   #660
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Thought I would share another data point on the Model 3 sales:

There are 21 other cars on the list, and the Model 3 so far this year is outselling 14 of the 21.

Also, for April - the Model 3 beat every other car except for 2 - Mercedes C and E. That won't last long though, as this corresponds with that other graph that I posted from the Q1 report that shows the Model 3 is about to beat even Mercedes.....

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc