These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2012, 09:51 PM   #141
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

I'm thinking of cutting back a little bit on 1MR. It's good for your workout, but it messes your head up sometimes.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:54 PM   #142
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLaKaS View Post
but it messes your head up sometimes.
can this be achieved without the working out
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:58 AM   #143
Jonas
BLUFF

Ive been struggling with like a yo-yo diet for a couple of years. I lost 85 pounds, gained back like 60 and now I've lost about 30ish of it again and now I'm like stuck. I would like to lose about 30 more pounds. I'm not a weight lifter, I am strictly cardio. I take the green tea fat burner and I'm on a pretty good diet, but like I said I'm stuck right now. Is there anything I can take or anything anyone would suggest?

Lately for breakfast I have a bowl of cereal, usually a cup and then 2/3 a cup of milk, whatever the serving size is.

I have a banana or apple at 11.

My lunch is usually a sandwich with the serving of meat and a low calorie cheese. A string cheese and an apple or banana or something.

And for dinner I've been eating alot of salads and working on portion control if we arent having something super healthy.
06.06.01, 07.08.02, 03.28.03 (I'm the reason Dave sang the Watermelon song), 03.29.03, 09.19.03, 09.20.03, 07.27.04, 08.15.06, 09.08.07 (Piedmont), 07.07.08, 08.01.08, 04.25.09, 04.29.09, 07.27.10, 05.22.12
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:48 AM   #144
Jonas
BLUFF

Was also wondering If anyone had a good heartrate monitor to suggest.

A friend of mine let me know yesterday I needed to cut more to get over this plateau and try and keep my HR up in the 170s. My cardio bike has a HRM that you have to hold on to, and I dont like it that much. I'd rather have something thats constant
06.06.01, 07.08.02, 03.28.03 (I'm the reason Dave sang the Watermelon song), 03.29.03, 09.19.03, 09.20.03, 07.27.04, 08.15.06, 09.08.07 (Piedmont), 07.07.08, 08.01.08, 04.25.09, 04.29.09, 07.27.10, 05.22.12
Old 04-05-2012, 03:31 PM   #145
ethaxton

That's some pretty big weight swings man. My advice is to watch your carbs. Eat as few calories as you can to survive while also eating a high amount of protein. Honestly, I know you said you aren't a weight lifter, but you need to lift weights. Cardio alone sucks unless you are a pregnant woman. If you have enough weight that you can dip 80lbs you def have areas that need toning. Lifting doesn't have to be power lifting, but just exercising different areas. It burns a lot of calories off.

Salads and portion control is only half the story. Portions of what? What's on your salad? Salads can be just as unhealthy as anything else depending on the toppings and dressing.

The quickest way to shed fat is a ketosis diet. It's brutal the first 10 days, because you will have no energy, but if you make it through that and stick with it another couple weeks you'll drop a lot of fat in a very short amount of time.

[Only registered users can see links.]

Keeping your HR above 170 isn't necessary unless you are doing some hardcore conditioning. It varies from weight and age but 150-160 is an optimal range to burn fat.
ethaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 03:39 PM   #146
Jonas
BLUFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethaxton View Post
That's some pretty big weight swings man. My advice is to watch your carbs. Eat as few calories as you can to survive while also eating a high amount of protein. Honestly, I know you said you aren't a weight lifter, but you need to lift weights. Cardio alone sucks unless you are a pregnant woman. If you have enough weight that you can dip 80lbs you def have areas that need toning. Lifting doesn't have to be power lifting, but just exercising different areas. It burns a lot of calories off.

Salads and portion control is only half the story. Portions of what? What's on your salad? Salads can be just as unhealthy as anything else depending on the toppings and dressing.

The quickest way to shed fat is a ketosis diet. It's brutal the first 10 days, because you will have no energy, but if you make it through that and stick with it another couple weeks you'll drop a lot of fat in a very short amount of time.

Keeping your HR above 170 isn't necessary unless you are doing some hardcore conditioning. It varies from weight and age but 150-160 is an optimal range to burn fat.
Yeah they weight swings suck. I've been lucky enough to drop about 40 and keep it off longer than the last time and I understand my issue has always been portioning.

Usually when I do a salad it'll be grilled chicken with the serving size of dressing and cucumbers, maybe some dried cranberries. I dont really like croutons and I'm not big on loading them up with dressings.

We dont usually eat unhealthy, I tend to just overeat. Tonight my wife is making beef tips and rice and I plan on eating a cup of it and a salad with cukes and dressing.

I have asked my wife for some weights and a bench for my birthday which is in 2-3 weeks so hopefully she'll come through with that and I can get back to lifting.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:13 PM   #147
Josh.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethaxton View Post

Perfect. This is exactly what I was going to say.

Lift some weights. Your body destroys calories just to support the added muscle.
Just so you know, B.B.C. stands for Bitch Be Cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
You know what else it stands for though, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBeam41 View Post
I cant wait for him to google that
30 minutes later

Quote:
Originally Posted by K270 View Post
You guys are sick.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:22 PM   #148
Josh.0

(And I also agree to cut down on carbs. Under 100g per day)
Quote:
Quote:
30 minutes later

Quote:
You guys are sick.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:19 AM   #149
Jonas
BLUFF

I agree with lifting weights, I have asked for a nice weight set and bench for my birthday which is within the next couple of weeks so I'm just trying to figure everything I can do now and build up until then.

Alot of people are telling me to supplement, with cardio, and I dont understand it really. Replace breakfast with a protein shake? I've never really understood how you know what to pick out. I have a slow metabolism, but I work out pretty hard, I'm overweight, but not lazy. I have stacked hydroxycut hardcore with BSN Cheaters before and that worked well for me, but the hydroxycut is sketchy to me. Any suggestions of products I should start taking? or meals I should replace with protein shakes? I always thought it just puts on fat. I guess I dont understand it well enough.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:43 AM   #150
hobbesthecat
stand up ba-dadadada

Hey Jonas - so I agree with ethax and Josh about cutting carbs, especially simple sugars and/or high fructose corn syrup. I'll give you my advice here since back in 2009-2010 I went from 280 to 195 in about 6-7 months...not that I know everything about loosing weight, but I think I can shed some light. The best thing you can do right off the bat is cut out calories or carbs you drink, ie BEER & SODA

I've taken BSN's Atrophex before, honestly I don't think those thermogenics do much. They do give you some focus, but unless there are studies done on BMI reduction while maintaing the same diet you were on before hand (which I've never seen) I think those thermo supplements you should just stay away from. ESPECIALLY if you're having those sort of weight swings you're describing. also i don't believe enough long term studies have been done on how those supplements affect your heart.

loosing weight...then cutting to get ripped just take a boat load of fucking time and there is NO quick fix. Josh is dead on about lifting weights & building muscle to shred fat. That's why it's easier for guys to loose lbs than chicks, since girls don't want to be putting on too much muscle, even if it's lean. it's going to take you a solid 2 months of straight exercising and eating correctly for you to see results.

Stay away from the weight loss pills and you should be lifting minimum 3 days per week and DEFINITELY RUNNING minimum of 2. If you're looking to loose weight, on your cardio days you need to be running for a minium of 45 minutes. People run for 1 mile and think it's something, yea go fuck yourself. Your heart rate needs to get up (around or slightly above 140 bpm i think) for an extended perioed of time (ie >40 mins per session) for calorie burning to really kick in. Also, START DOING HILLS if you're running on a treadmill and/or start running outside. Street running compared to treadmill running is night and day. I should know, I recently started street running after 2 solid months of treads and the first time I got my ass kicked.

For weights, focus on FORM and REPS and don't worry about putting up a lot of weight like some idiot fucking meathead who doesn't know what he's doing. The WORST thing you can do is pull a shoulder because you've done too much and then you're fucked for a week cause you need to recoup. Don't do more than an hour of lifting for each session, anything over that you're just increasing the odds for an injury. Think of it as overtime for NFL players and how injuries increase the longer they're on the field. Shoot for 4-5 sets with 10-15 reps per set. Also, you can lift on your cardio days...which sucks I know but hey no pain no gain.

Lastly (sorry for the length)...don't stop eating because you want to keep your caloric intake as low as you can. That mentality will actually hurt your progress since you'll put your body's metabolism into starvation mode. You should be eating a couple more meals throughout the day, but in smaller portion (lower calories per meal) with higher protein. SO, for ex instead of 3 meals...shoot for 5-6 but each meal only take in 300-400 calories. Make about 3 of those just a protein shake, shooting for >30 grams of protein. the other meals should be a REAL meal, like chicken breast and veggies or even cereal in the morning, brown rice is solid too. Your body still needs some GOOD carbs, just stay away from sugars and snacks. Some websites have equations where you calculate your maximum calorie intake to acheive the highest level of calorie burn. If you're still net-net calorie deficient you're doing just fine.

For protein, Optimum Nutrition (ON) Whey is good for post workout protein. ON also has the best calorie to protein ratio out there. (whey protein asorbs the fastest so you want that right after lifting, and then blended proteins when you're not lifting) Trust me i've looked at a lot of fucking labels. For protein shakes when you wake up or in the evening I like BSN Syntha-6, since it's a blended protein and digestion takes longer. Other than protein, keep your multi-vitamin intake up (you'll loose all sorts of stuff running), and you're caffeine intake up too (not over the top of course).

stay away from the fat burner pills, loosing weight takes time. you can do it. sorry this is so long, i have jetlag...

edit - also yea start replacing your breakfast or first meal with 1-2 scoops of BSN Syntha-6 (or any blended protein shake)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
Shut the fuck up you filthy whore. Jesuit school has made you soft.
hobbesthecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 08:02 AM   #151
Jonas
BLUFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesthecat View Post
Hey Jonas - so I agree with ethax and Josh about cutting carbs, especially simple sugars and/or high fructose corn syrup. I'll give you my advice here since back in 2009-2010 I went from 280 to 195 in about 6-7 months...not that I know everything about loosing weight, but I think I can shed some light. The best thing you can do right off the bat is cut out calories or carbs you drink, ie BEER & SODA

I've taken BSN's Atrophex before, honestly I don't think those thermogenics do much. They do give you some focus, but unless there are studies done on BMI reduction while maintaing the same diet you were on before hand (which I've never seen) I think those thermo supplements you should just stay away from. ESPECIALLY if you're having those sort of weight swings you're describing. also i don't believe enough long term studies have been done on how those supplements affect your heart.

loosing weight...then cutting to get ripped just take a boat load of fucking time and there is NO quick fix. Josh is dead on about lifting weights & building muscle to shred fat. That's why it's easier for guys to loose lbs than chicks, since girls don't want to be putting on too much muscle, even if it's lean. it's going to take you a solid 2 months of straight exercising and eating correctly for you to see results.

Stay away from the weight loss pills and you should be lifting minimum 3 days per week and DEFINITELY RUNNING minimum of 2. If you're looking to loose weight, on your cardio days you need to be running for a minium of 45 minutes. People run for 1 mile and think it's something, yea go fuck yourself. Your heart rate needs to get up (around or slightly above 140 bpm i think) for an extended perioed of time (ie >40 mins per session) for calorie burning to really kick in. Also, START DOING HILLS if you're running on a treadmill and/or start running outside. Street running compared to treadmill running is night and day. I should know, I recently started street running after 2 solid months of treads and the first time I got my ass kicked.

For weights, focus on FORM and REPS and don't worry about putting up a lot of weight like some idiot fucking meathead who doesn't know what he's doing. The WORST thing you can do is pull a shoulder because you've done too much and then you're fucked for a week cause you need to recoup. Don't do more than an hour of lifting for each session, anything over that you're just increasing the odds for an injury. Think of it as overtime for NFL players and how injuries increase the longer they're on the field. Shoot for 4-5 sets with 10-15 reps per set. Also, you can lift on your cardio days...which sucks I know but hey no pain no gain.

Lastly (sorry for the length)...don't stop eating because you want to keep your caloric intake as low as you can. That mentality will actually hurt your progress since you'll put your body's metabolism into starvation mode. You should be eating a couple more meals throughout the day, but in smaller portion (lower calories per meal) with higher protein. SO, for ex instead of 3 meals...shoot for 5-6 but each meal only take in 300-400 calories. Make about 3 of those just a protein shake, shooting for >30 grams of protein. the other meals should be a REAL meal, like chicken breast and veggies or even cereal in the morning, brown rice is solid too. Your body still needs some GOOD carbs, just stay away from sugars and snacks. Some websites have equations where you calculate your maximum calorie intake to acheive the highest level of calorie burn. If you're still net-net calorie deficient you're doing just fine.

For protein, Optimum Nutrition (ON) Whey is good for post workout protein. ON also has the best calorie to protein ratio out there. (whey protein asorbs the fastest so you want that right after lifting, and then blended proteins when you're not lifting) Trust me i've looked at a lot of fucking labels. For protein shakes when you wake up or in the evening I like BSN Syntha-6, since it's a blended protein and digestion takes longer. Other than protein, keep your multi-vitamin intake up (you'll loose all sorts of stuff running), and you're caffeine intake up too (not over the top of course).

stay away from the fat burner pills, loosing weight takes time. you can do it. sorry this is so long, i have jetlag...

edit - also yea start replacing your breakfast or first meal with 1-2 scoops of BSN Syntha-6 (or any blended protein shake)
Thank you so much for this. I've been waiting since the boards went down to respond. I have been working out harder than I ever felt I could the past week and its been awesome. I broke my plateau, only by about 2 pounds, but heck yea! Its hard to walk and hold my hands above my head If I dont have my prework out in me, so I'm doing something right lol.

I like what you said about reps and weight, I definitely cannot lift heavy amounts yet and I havent even begun to try, as I'd rather build up.

Right now I'm taking Syntha 6 and Cellucore N-Zero preworkout. My work outs now are night and day. One of my buddies who is a personal trainer told me I need to add BCAA and CLA.

Also do you take multivitamins more than once a day? and If so about how many times should I be taking them?

I do have a question though, I plan on doing weights and cardio every day, like you said no pain no gain, and I love it. So should one day be 40 minutes cardio 20 minutes weights, then the next reversed? or 40 minutes of both?

This is what my trainer told me to do.

Calories: Ideal BW + 1000 + (800-1400 Calories; Depending on level of activity)
Protein: Ideal BW X 2g (grilled chicken, grilled lean meats, grilled fish)
Carbs: Ideal BW X 1g (includes honey, fruits, and vegatables)
Fats: Ideal BW X 0.50g (Almonds, Avocados, Extra virgin Olive oil)

Example (140 LBS Burning Fat)
Total Calories: 2400-2800 Calories
Protein: 280g
Carb: 140g
Fats: 70g

Example Meal Plan

(Eat every 2-3 hours)

Meal One (7am):

Meal Replacement Shake (Protein Powder + cup oats)

Meal Two (10am Breakfast)

4-6 egg whites
cup to 1 Cup Oatmeal
cup to 1 Cup Fruit (Blueberries, Strawberries, banana)
handful of Almonds

Recommended Supplements:
Multivitamin/Multimineral (Organic vitamins is the best choice)
Fish Oils
BCAA (Branched Chain Amino Acids)-or sip during workout
CLA

Meal Three (1pm Lunch)

4-6oz Chicken Breast
Portion of Veggies (broccoli, asparagus, bell peppers, green beans, etc)
Sweet Potato

Recommended Supplements:
CLA

Meal Four (Post Workout 4pm or within an hour of completing a workout)

Eat Honey FIRST; Your body needs the sugar to process the protein shake efficiently

2 Tbs of Honey
2 Tbs of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
30-50g Protein Shake

Meal Five (7pm Dinner)

4-6oz Fish
portion of brocolli or asparagus

Recommended Supplements:
CLA
Multi Vitamin

Meal Six (10pm Bedtime)

1-2 Servings of Fat Free Cottage Cheese
1 banana

List of Recommended Supplements (For Leaning Out )

Quality Whey Protein powder (Upon wake/Post Workout)
Multivitamin/Multimineral (Organic vitamins is the best choice)
Fish Oils
BCAA (Branched Chain Amino Acids)
CLA
Old 04-10-2012, 09:01 AM   #152
Josh.0

Some solid fucking posts Hobbes and Jonas

Hobbes that was a stellar breakdown of dietary guidelines for people trying to lose a lot of weight. People don't consider the effects of starvation dieting; they focus too much on keeping calorie counts as low as possible without considering that our bodies adjust over time to those types of changes. It's all about what you eat and when.

On a personal note, for the first time in my life I benched 300 lbs yesterday (twice). I only started seriously working on my bench a few months ago and used to only do free weight presses before that. I'm not bragging (because believe me, I see guys putting up 350, 400 with relative ease), but it was a gym goal that I hit and I'm pretty psyched about it.

Also, lately I've actually found I'm having a hard time eating enough. So I bought a George Foreman machine and have been buying lean (97/3) burgers from Trader Joe's (only about $5 for a pack of four). Pretty easy way to take in about 60g of protein after eating two burgers. Plus, it breaks down to only about four cents per gram of protein, which is nice.
Quote:
Quote:
30 minutes later

Quote:
You guys are sick.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:51 AM   #153
Jonas
BLUFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post
Some solid fucking posts Hobbes and Jonas

Hobbes that was a stellar breakdown of dietary guidelines for people trying to lose a lot of weight. People don't consider the effects of starvation dieting; they focus too much on keeping calorie counts as low as possible without considering that our bodies adjust over time to those types of changes. It's all about what you eat and when.

On a personal note, for the first time in my life I benched 300 lbs yesterday (twice). I only started seriously working on my bench a few months ago and used to only do free weight presses before that. I'm not bragging (because believe me, I see guys putting up 350, 400 with relative ease), but it was a gym goal that I hit and I'm pretty psyched about it.

Also, lately I've actually found I'm having a hard time eating enough. So I bought a George Foreman machine and have been buying lean (97/3) burgers from Trader Joe's (only about $5 for a pack of four). Pretty easy way to take in about 60g of protein after eating two burgers. Plus, it breaks down to only about four cents per gram of protein, which is nice.

Thats good stuff. Last night I grilled like 6 pieces of chicken 3 pieces of tilapia 1 piece of salmon and a shit ton of asparagus to have as lunches.

Where does everyone pick up their supplements? GNC is a rip off and I would for sure have to quit if I had to keep going there lol. Anyone ever tried XXLMass.com? Seems like their prices are insanely low, about 34 for 5 lbs of Syntha6
Old 04-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #154
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas View Post

Thats good stuff. Last night I grilled like 6 pieces of chicken 3 pieces of tilapia 1 piece of salmon and a shit ton of asparagus to have as lunches.

Where does everyone pick up their supplements? GNC is a rip off and I would for sure have to quit if I had to keep going there lol. Anyone ever tried XXLMass.com? Seems like their prices are insanely low, about 34 for 5 lbs of Syntha6
I get my stuff from the Vitamin Shoppe
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:30 AM   #155
Jonas
BLUFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLaKaS View Post
I get my stuff from the Vitamin Shoppe

[Only registered users can see links.] , i havent ordered from there yet but I've priced around and they are definitely the best, and the only way you can pay is through pay pal you're safe there
Old 04-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #156
ethaxton

I used to get all my supps from bodybuilding.com because it was basically next day shipping since the distribution warehouse was so close to me. Now I usually just get everything off Amazon.
ethaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 08:12 PM   #157
Monk
Moore Soul

Yes, protein is essential to build muscle, but don't get caught up in the myth of more protein means more muscle. Your body will only synthesize so much protein into muscle. The rest will either be burned off to be used as energy or stored as fat (depending on your caloric intake). Your body doesn't store protein. The best way is to take a look at your diet and see if you get enough protein for your lifestyle/activity level and then determine whether or not you need to add supplements to your diet.

http://dmbalmanac.com/Member.aspx?number=181

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftMacho View Post
i get the feeling about 3% of the people in this thread have ever been laid

Last edited by Monk; 04-11-2012 at 08:58 PM.
Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:40 AM   #158
Jonas
BLUFF

So far in about 2 weeks I've gained 5 pounds but my stomach has slimmed. I'm taking in 2200-2300 calories a day. Start the morning with a shake with milk, have breakfast at 10 of eggs, banana, and nuts/almonds. Lunch at 1 I have 6 ounces of chicken, veggies, and 2/3 cup of brown rice. Around 4 I'll have almonds and yogurt. Around 6:30-7 when I get done working out I'll have 2 tbsp honey, 2 tbsp of olive oil, a shake with 2 scoops, and then usually have dinner shortly after with 6 ounces of chicken/lean steak/fish, veggies, or a chicken salad, or wrap. and at 10 I'll have a cup of cottage cheese for casein protein, but I think I'm going to purchase some casein protein instead.

I'm really happy with the way things are going. After 1 week I went up 5 push ups, 10 pounds in what I'm lifting, and my cardio is even easier than before.

I've been supplementing with BSN Syntha 6, but recently switched to 100% whey from muscletech cause they have 5 pounds at sams for 32$ and protein is protein is what i've been told. I'm using Modern BCAA's by USPLabs and I can tell a difference in my soreness, and the length of time it takes to recover, which is basically overnight. I've also been taking N-Zero prework out, but I believe I'm going to switch to Musclepharm assault, cause I've heard good things, mainly it doesnt cause jitteriness from the caffeine, which is a plus. I've been taking a fat burner 3 times a day, CLA 3 times a day, Fish Oil 3 times a day, L-Arginine 1 time a day, and 1 a day 2 times a day.

I think the BCAAs have made the biggest difference so far for me just do to the fact that I was extremely sore the first day I started to take them and my soreness went away the next day, and I havent been THAT sore since.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:48 AM   #159
Josh.0

Quote:
Quote:
30 minutes later

Quote:
You guys are sick.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:55 AM   #160
Jonas
BLUFF

I think I'm a bit off with my calorie intake, but maybe by 100. I cant pinpoint how many calories are in a 6 ounce piece of boneless skinless. One place said 160 and thats what I was going by, now I'm reading 240.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc