These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2017, 11:53 AM   #401
Josh.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambourine Man View Post
Those Denver real estate prices are just shocking. Those are almost the same prices as houses in Queens, Brooklyn, etc. I'm probably waiting until this bubble bursts before I buy anything. There are Wall St funds that are buying houses, that seems like the height of exuberance
It's really scary. The real problem is the real estate market is similar to a city like Boston right now (or maybe a tad more at this point), but from what I've seen jobs pay about 10% less than Boston. In some cases, 15-20% less, at least in my field.

The math isn't adding up. While demand is high, I suspect a lot of people making $80k, $90k (at best - I'd bet most people are making far less), which would mean they're clearing like $4.5-$5k/month, and then they're taking out $3,000/month mortgages. I think there are a lot of people way, WAY overextending themselves (for pretty crappy houses, no less), and it may lead to a lot of foreclosures a few years down the road if the job market dips even the slightest bit.

People earning middle class salaries that are buying upper class homes in Denver right now are really playing with fire.
Just so you know, B.B.C. stands for Bitch Be Cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
You know what else it stands for though, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBeam41 View Post
I cant wait for him to google that
30 minutes later

Quote:
Originally Posted by K270 View Post
You guys are sick.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:01 PM   #402
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambourine Man View Post
Those Denver real estate prices are just shocking. Those are almost the same prices as houses in Queens, Brooklyn, etc. I'm probably waiting until this bubble bursts before I buy anything. There are Wall St funds that are buying houses, that seems like the height of exuberance
It really is. But I don't really see how the population boom is going to slow down anytime soon. Colorado is a destination for a lot of people (you have to understand, I left fucking Illinois - likely the worst state in the union? - for this place). Tech is coming here in droves, with much cheaper options than Northern California or even Seattle.

Sunshine year round. An amazing music scene. Some of the best hiking/camping/hunting in the world. I don't see how people are going to stop coming here anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post
Where do you live over in LoDo? My girlfriend lives a block from Coors Field.
I'm pretty much just behind left field of Coors. 20th/Chestnut across the street from Soopers. It's an interesting little neighborhood - but I'm ready for a new spot. I don't drink a lot so the LoDo bar scene really doesn't do anything for me.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 02:41 PM   #403
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Quote:
It's really scary. The real problem is the real estate market is similar to a city like Boston right now (or maybe a tad more at this point), but from what I've seen jobs pay about 10% less than Boston. In some cases, 15-20% less, at least in my field.

The math isn't adding up. While demand is high, I suspect a lot of people making $80k, $90k (at best - I'd bet most people are making far less), which would mean they're clearing like $4.5-$5k/month, and then they're taking out $3,000/month mortgages. I think there are a lot of people way, WAY overextending themselves (for pretty crappy houses, no less), and it may lead to a lot of foreclosures a few years down the road if the job market dips even the slightest bit.

People earning middle class salaries that are buying upper class homes in Denver right now are really playing with fire.
Yeah, you're exactly right. You know they have no savings and are up to their eyeballs in CC payments. Colorado is nice, I grew up in KS, so we were there a lot. How's the traffic, though ?

Tech is like the only industry nowadays making serious money. They savage the real estate prices wherever they go. I am a programmer and could've moved to SF, but I find that place incredibly boring, commute is 2/hrs day, rent is outrageous, no thanks.
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 02:50 PM   #404
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Traffic is getting worse - the infrastructure hasn't caught up to the increased population at all. Light rail and local transit has improved significantly which has been a great boom for the city. Hopefully that continues to grow.

But I do laugh when people say traffic here is bad. They've never been to Chicago. I've seen some traffic.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:57 PM   #405
Josh.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
Traffic is getting worse - the infrastructure hasn't caught up to the increased population at all. Light rail and local transit has improved significantly which has been a great boom for the city. Hopefully that continues to grow.

But I do laugh when people say traffic here is bad. They've never been to Chicago. I've seen some traffic.
Yeah, or Boston, or New York, or Philly, D.C, or LA, or San Francisco. It's getting bad, as you said, but it pales in comparison to other major cities.

I also think your point about Denver being a destination city is interesting. I think it is and it isn't. For serious endurance athletes, it's absolutely a destination city. But for people that dabble in occasional hiking or camping, I think they're going to eventually be faced with an affordability reality and subsequent decision. If your household income is, say, $6-8K monthly, and you're taking on a $3k-$4k mortgage, you better hope you never overuse your credit card or require any additional line of credit at some point throughout the life of that mortgage. And my hunch is with the way millennials swim in debt, the mortgage is far from the whole story when it comes to monthly expenses.

If the job market dips even a bit - which under Trump, we're not sure how tech jobs will thrive because he doesn't seem to be making them a priority - a LOT of people in Denver will be massively fucked.

I already know of a few couples that are at or above spending 50% of their monthly income for their house right now in Denver. That's just such a huge risk for a city that doesn't have massive amounts of well-paying jobs.

Now, think of everything I just said...

And add a child to the mix. Or two. Or three.

I'm horrified for some of the people that're getting themselves into completely house-broke situations without having even reached some of the other expensive milestones in life yet, such as kids. I think 5-10 years from now you are going to see a massive, MASSIVE correction in real estate values here. And when you get some realtors behind closed doors and throw a drink or two back with them, they start openly admitting the same thing.

I have a friend of a friend that's a very successful realtor flat out tell me, "I would absolutely not buy right now. Two, three years ago - absolutely - but now? Everything is being way over-valued because of the ridiculous demand."
Quote:
Quote:
30 minutes later

Quote:
You guys are sick.
Old 07-06-2017, 05:09 PM   #406
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

If you ever turn on HGTV, everything you see is couples (no kids) looking for a 4 bedroom house with 3 bathrooms, a chef's kitchen, etc. People are ridiculous with their expectations for housing.
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 11:46 PM   #407
Josh.0

Going to Brussels (again) and Lisbon in two weeks.
Quote:
Quote:
30 minutes later

Quote:
You guys are sick.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:04 AM   #408
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Just got back from a weekend Vegas trip last night. It was my friend’s bachelor party. I thought it might possibly help my depression out a little bit, but unnecessary drama by a particular guy there (my friend up until this weekend) kind of ruined the trip. Oh well.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 11:52 AM   #409
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

In the process of booking a long weekend in San Francisco in September. One of my favorite musicians is playing at the Independent, another has a show at Big Sur the next day. Really excited to get back
Old 04-16-2018, 11:10 PM   #410
TDunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLaKaS View Post
Just got back from a weekend Vegas trip last night. It was my friend’s bachelor party. I thought it might possibly help my depression out a little bit, but unnecessary drama by a particular guy there (my friend up until this weekend) kind of ruined the trip. Oh well.
That sucks what happened?
TDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:49 AM   #411
Mitch

Quote:
Just got back from a weekend Vegas trip last night. It was my friendís bachelor party. I thought it might possibly help my depression out a little bit, but unnecessary drama by a particular guy there (my friend up until this weekend) kind of ruined the trip. Oh well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDunk View Post
Exactly. Sounds like a good story lurking here.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 06:43 PM   #412
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDunk View Post

Quote:
Exactly. Sounds like a good story lurking here.

Well, last time I opened up in the past, I was accused by a certain someone for making TDC my personal diary, so I’ll PM you both tonight.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:57 PM   #413
Josh.0

Currently burning through the atmosphere at 600 MPH over the middle of the Atlantic. T-2.5 hours until I land in Belgium, spend a few hours there before heading to Portugal for five days, then back to Belgium for five days for Cantillion Quintessence

The only thing that sucks balls about overnight travel for me is my inability to sleep on airplanes. But a few solid glasses of lambic upon arrive will help with that...
Quote:
Quote:
30 minutes later

Quote:
You guys are sick.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:32 PM   #414
Mitch

Enjoy, Josh!

Has anyone here been to Prague? My daughter is working there for a couple of months this summer and we plan on visiting.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:51 PM   #415
Josh.0

Quote:
Enjoy, Josh!

Has anyone here been to Prague? My daughter is working there for a couple of months this summer and we plan on visiting.
Thanks.

And yes. It's my favorite city I've ever visited. It's so beautiful you stand in awe of how something so incredible could have created by human hands hundreds of years ago. It feels like walking into a gothic-themed storybook.

And the women are absolutely unbelievable and overall I found the locals to be extremely sweet and friendly.
Quote:
Quote:
30 minutes later

Quote:
You guys are sick.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:41 AM   #416
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Currently burning through the atmosphere at 600 MPH over the middle of the Atlantic. T-2.5 hours until I land in Belgium, spend a few hours there before heading to Portugal for five days, then back to Belgium for five days for Cantillion Quintessence

The only thing that sucks balls about overnight travel for me is my inability to sleep on airplanes. But a few solid glasses of lambic upon arrive will help with that...

that’s awesome that you travel a lot. I love traveling and seeing new places.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:58 AM   #417
Josh.0

Quote:
thatís awesome that you travel a lot. I love traveling and seeing new places.
You should look into jobs that involve travel. This way you can get credit cards to book your work travel with that have solid points systems and then youíll barely have to pay out of pocket for any of your personal trips. I havenít paid cash for an international flight in like five years.

If you love to travel, 100% look into software implementation gigs, they usually pay decently and provide a ton of access to different states and countries.
Quote:
Quote:
30 minutes later

Quote:
You guys are sick.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:59 AM   #418
Josh.0

FWIW I’m dead tired. Been up for 26 straight hours and it will likely be about 32 before I finally see a bed. I’m toast right now, but I wouldn’t have it any other way.
Quote:
Quote:
30 minutes later

Quote:
You guys are sick.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:23 AM   #419
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
You should look into jobs that involve travel. This way you can get credit cards to book your work travel with that have solid points systems and then you’ll barely have to pay out of pocket for any of your personal trips. I haven’t paid cash for an international flight in like five years.

If you love to travel, 100% look into software implementation gigs, they usually pay decently and provide a ton of access to different states and countries.

that’s for this advice.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:00 AM   #420
Mitch

Quote:
Thanks.

And yes. It's my favorite city I've ever visited. It's so beautiful you stand in awe of how something so incredible could have created by human hands hundreds of years ago. It feels like walking into a gothic-themed storybook.

And the women are absolutely unbelievable and overall I found the locals to be extremely sweet and friendly.
Thanks for this response Josh. I popped in here to read it to my wife this morning and realized I never replied back then. We're going in July.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc