These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2011, 07:09 PM   #101
Mersh

no matter who they work with, they aren't going to ever make an album/music like they did from the beginning through 00. Perhaps a tune here and there, but that is about it.
Mersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:55 PM   #102
SoftMacho
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by typsitch View Post
I have and I'm not sure what your point is.

I still think that working with Lillywhite could get Dave back to his "roots" and influence the band towards their older style of music. Hopefully much less poppy.
i disagree. i think dave's style of songmaking has changed. lillywhite could only change the quality of songs within the current framework. they're not going back to btcs-level songs. with that said, i don't think they could make a better album with anyone else but lillywhite (although i think rob cavallo did a tremendous job).
SoftMacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:59 PM   #103
jsandr
tryin' to date, havin' to cook

I'd prefer them to work with someone who could inspire them, and that they wouldn't want to fuck around with.

Daniel Lanois comes to mind... although he may be a better choice for a DM solo record. Dave has a hardon for the guy... I think that could be a situation that generates at least better than average results, which would be a win.

I am fully on board with the notion, however, that the onus for solid material is on the band... no producer's going to make shitty songs a great record.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:01 PM   #104
SoftMacho
Moore Soul

You can't discount Tim from the process. I think for a lot of those early tunes, it was all about the guitar licks, and I think Tim had a lot to do with that. So who knows...
SoftMacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:44 PM   #105
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
Originally Posted by typsitch View Post
you're right, they wouldn't work with him again. lillywhite would make them work too hard and would never let them put out a bullshit album.
cavallo didn't let them put out a bullshit album either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmytree View Post
I think the resume would poke holes in the idea that he'd never let them make a bullshit album, considering there's some pretty heavy bullshit on there.
you trying to imply Counting Crows transcendent cover of Big Yellow Taxi is bullshit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftMacho View Post
You can't discount Tim from the process. I think for a lot of those early tunes, it was all about the guitar licks, and I think Tim had a lot to do with that. So who knows...
maybe he did, but i'm not sure he had much influence on those riffs themselves besides more or less teaching dave how to really play guitar. but i could be wrong, i don't know.
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:45 PM   #106
inmytree
Hey Gee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident View Post
you trying to imply Counting Crows transcendent cover of Big Yellow Taxi is bullshit?
Damn right I am. Mr. A-Z, though, showed he still had it in him.
inmytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:49 PM   #107
FiddySpence
TDCya

yeah, he really peaked when he found creative wonderboy Jason Mraz.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:09 PM   #108
ggies
Sugar Will '04

You guys got it all wrong. That don't make fucking DMB music anymore, they make music by DMB. BOOM!
ggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 03:18 PM   #109
NiCK (Crush)

I used to hate typsitch, but I'll be damned if he isn't the most entertaining person on the boards. Dude says some outlandish things
Old 04-30-2011, 04:59 PM   #110
jsandr

[quote=dissident;6744645]cavallo didn't let them put out a bullshit album either.

Cavallo wasn't going to let them put out a bullshit album in a commercial sense, methinks. To me, it seems he brought the ability to helm a middle of the road pop-rock record that would appeal to the masses while hinting at a 'return to form' to maybe a handful of disgruntled hardcores. If you look at it that way... it was certainly a success.

I'd like, for at least one more time in my life, to hear an album by this band that does more than fall into the 'Doesn't Suck' category of music. A guy like Cavallo isn't going to take them there, IMO. He could certainly reprise BW into an OK, mainstream record with a few gems, but I don't see him coaxing a great record out of the boys. I don't even really think Lillywhite would get them back there at this point. They need to be inspired by someone... someone to draw out of them things that are lying dormant (or dead, for the most part). There's no doubt they have the musicianship on board to make a killer record, but where is the will and drive to do so (not to mention their warped sense of what 'good' is.) If I hear another DMB record where Tim and Jeff are relegated to the slick, ambiguous background noise of a pop/rock album, I think I'll lose any faith that they'll recapture anything special.

I think the right person would do well to have the band hone in on a smaller sample size of tracks (10, 11 at most) and make sure each and every moment is there for a reason, and not just to throw paint at the wall in the hopes of something working. This, to me, is why I love BTCS so much. It's 10/11 songs that each are a complete and worthwhile statement. Sure, some people don't like Stay or Don't Drink the Water so much, but you can't deny that those songs are thoroughly put together and serve a purpose on the record. There's no dead weight on that album. Each (proper) record since then (not including Busted Stuff) has been burdened with several too many garbage tracks.

So what I'm saying, in case I'm not clear, is this: gimme Daniel Lanois, Dave Matthews, Tim Reynolds, Jeff Coffin, Rashawn Ross, Stefan Lessard and Carter Beauford [[EDIT: & Boyd Tinsley]] in a god damned studio with 10 songs and I bet the resulting album would be pretty damn strong.

Last edited by jsandr; 04-30-2011 at 05:03 PM. Reason: forgot about Boyd - sorry, Boyd. You can come too. Violin optional.
jsandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:12 PM   #111
FiddySpence
TDCya

i don't think Big Whisky is a mainstream record at all. it has a few singles ready for the radio, like even their best albums had, but otherwise it's pretty diverse.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:04 PM   #112
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
i don't think Big Whisky is a mainstream record at all. it has a few singles ready for the radio, like even their best albums had, but otherwise it's pretty diverse.
it's all the fucking way mainstream man.

If, IF, they make another record, the producer should say from day one: FUCK MAINSTREAM. Make a record of pure music, from the art. You don't need to try and sell your music, you have millions of dollars. Let the music sell itself.

....................but that won't happen.....
Old 04-30-2011, 06:08 PM   #113
FiddySpence
TDCya

you're hatred of "mainstream" is a little weird.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:12 PM   #114
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
you're hatred of "mainstream" is a little weird.
I know.......mainstream music is everywhere though and then there was the Dave Matthews Band. But they haven't been the same on records since '98.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:21 PM   #115
inmytree
Hey Gee.

How is BW a 'mainstream' album, beyond it being an album you don't like? You & Me, maybe Dive In, but even then it's more of a joke on a pop song then an actual pop song.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:29 PM   #116
jsandr

Quote:
I really don't see it deviating from DMB's middle of the road THAT much. That's why I mentioned, as well, that there's parts of the record that really try to harken back to older DMB tradition (Hands of God, Gator Pie, Spaceman).

Look, I think BW was 'more pleasant than not', but it's not what this band is capable of. Radio rock doesn't have to be bad (PJ, FF), but BW was more safe than anything. I don't want safe and pleasant. I'd be interested in inspired and ambitious.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:34 PM   #117
inmytree
Hey Gee.

I'd agree with that. I think it's a little more ambitious, but it's a good album, it's not a great album. I wasn't disagreeing about quality. I was just wondering how it could be taken as a mainstream album, since most of it doesn't really sound like anything that tops pop charts right now. That was my only point.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:41 PM   #118
Mersh

while they aren't as big as they once were, isn't everything DMB does mainstream by virtue of them being DMB?
Old 04-30-2011, 06:42 PM   #119
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
while they aren't as big as they once were, isn't everything DMB does mainstream by virtue of them being DMB?
the definition of what is mainstream is so subjective
Old 04-30-2011, 06:42 PM   #120
Mersh

I mean, I'd say any band that can basically get a #1 (or top 10) album just because their name is on it is mainstream.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc