These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2019, 12:11 PM   #301
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man

Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
I've been going after Blu.

I will post later today. I have a few to catch up on listening, as well.
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 12:50 PM   #302
celluloid hero

We were going to repeat an artist sooner or later, this to me is the right time, and the right album to do it. 50 years ago this month, The Kinks released Arthur, (Or the Decline and Fall of the British Empire). A deluxe 4-disc boxed set with remastered audio for stereo and mono was released just Friday. The first two discs are available on Spotify. The first disc is the Stereo Remaster + bonus tracks, the second disc is the Mono Remaster + bonus tracks. The album itself is 12 tracks and ends at the song "Arthur" for your listening. Personally, I prefer the mono, but for '60s recordings, I generally do prefer the mono mixes. Pick which you prefer

This was being worked at the same time as the previous Kinks pick I made "Village Green Preservation Society" was finishing. They go hand-in-hand. Both are concept albums, though this one is more of a rock opera that was being developed for a docu-style TV show that never came through. Had it not have been tied to the TV, it would have been considered the first rock opera but the delay pushed it beyond the release of The Who's Tommy.

Whereas Village Green was more of a dream-state about a classic British life and world, Arthur is based on a personal, somewhat true story of Ray Davies' brother-in-law's life: being born in Victorian Britain, suffering World War I (including what has got to be one the most brutal anti-war songs ever: Some Mother's Son), post-war life of satisfaction, emigration to Australia, and reflection upon those decisions.

This was the first Kinks album I ever heard. I walked around Media Play with a whole $16 burning a hole in my pocket and I couldn't find anything to buy. So I went to the books section, found the All Music Guide and flipped through with the goal of buying the first Five-Star album I saw. About 90 seconds into the opening track Victoria, I was hooked and am still grateful for that indecision.

I don't necessarily agree, and of course in retrospect the quote makes you roll your eyes a bit, but this snippet from the Rolling Stone review of this album I think proves how big it and the Kinks should have been in the US in the late '60s if it wasn't for the union ban placed on them that caused them not tour the US for their three best years, and the lack of album marketing due to it:

"Less ambitious than Tommy, and far more musical ó no fillers, no waste tracks, not a matter of ideas but of perceptions worked out by bass, drums, voices, horns and guitars ó Arthur is by all odds the best British album of 1969. It shows that Pete Townshend still has worlds to conquer, and that the Beatles have a lot of catching up to do."
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 01:05 PM   #303
Bluewater34
Is Old

Arthur > Tommy.

No contest.
Old 11-01-2019, 07:15 PM   #304
morgadt

Great album. I guess every 60s rock band has their experimental double LP.

Dual titles. Brilliant choice or just pick one title and stick with it?
Old 11-02-2019, 12:07 PM   #305
Bluewater34
Is Old

Garntd is up this week.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:52 PM   #306
Garntd

For this week, I chose "Home Again" by Michael Kiwanuka.

"He's made the kind of record that every kid rummaging through boxes of Seventies vinyl at the car boot sale hopes to find. One that lovingly reassembles a 21st-century impression of that era's warm autumnal hues and tactile textures."

Spotify: [Only registered users can see links.]

Youtube: [Only registered users can see links.]
Garntd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:17 PM   #307
Bluewater34
Is Old

I’ve heard a lot about him but never checked him out. Looking forward to this one.
Old 11-05-2019, 03:56 PM   #308
Garntd

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post

We were going to repeat an artist sooner or later, this to me is the right time, and the right album to do it. 50 years ago this month, The Kinks released Arthur, (Or the Decline and Fall of the British Empire). A deluxe 4-disc boxed set with remastered audio for stereo and mono was released just Friday. The first two discs are available on Spotify. The first disc is the Stereo Remaster + bonus tracks, the second disc is the Mono Remaster + bonus tracks. The album itself is 12 tracks and ends at the song "Arthur" for your listening. Personally, I prefer the mono, but for '60s recordings, I generally do prefer the mono mixes. Pick which you prefer
That was my first time listening to the Kinks outside of the song Lola. That album was really really awesome - I didn't realize how "Beatle-y" they sounded.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:33 PM   #309
morgadt

Sunny Afternoon, Autumn Almanac, and Father Christmas are some of my personal favorites.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:48 PM   #310
Bluewater34
Is Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garntd View Post
That was my first time listening to the Kinks outside of the song Lola. That album was really really awesome - I didn't realize how "Beatle-y" they sounded.
Everything they did between Face to Face and Muswell Hillbillies is excellent. Something Else, Village Green and Arthur are all favorites of mine.
Old 11-05-2019, 08:07 PM   #311
Garntd

thanks, y'all! will have to dive into their catalog at some point.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:46 AM   #312
Bluewater34
Is Old

I’m absolutely loving Home Again. It’s like some fantastic unknown Classic Soul singer walked into a late-60s Van Morrison recording session. I’m definitely going to keep listening to this.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:18 AM   #313
Dschakobi
eat, drink & be merry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater34 View Post
Iím absolutely loving Home Again. Itís like some fantastic unknown Classic Soul singer walked into a late-60s Van Morrison recording session. Iím definitely going to keep listening to this.
check out the newest recording.

Funny to see all the comments right now. Been listening to him since the beginning and having all his vinyls so far. Here in Europe we predicted that with his newest release the US will jump on the Kiwanuka train.

It's just timeless music.
Dschakobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:13 AM   #314
Garntd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dschakobi View Post
check out the newest recording.

Funny to see all the comments right now. Been listening to him since the beginning and having all his vinyls so far. Here in Europe we predicted that with his newest release the US will jump on the Kiwanuka train.

It's just timeless music.
I jumped on in 2012 with Home Again, but didn't listen to anything he did after it. I'll have to check out the newer stuff.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:50 AM   #315
celluloid hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garntd View Post
Really glad you liked. We did Village Green Preservation Society earlier in the year. You should check that one out, too. I love Something Else, and one of my musical bucket list items was walking across Waterloo Bridge in London listening to Waterloo Sunset - voted as best ever song about London. I think that musically #3 for me is Lola vs. Powerman album.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:07 PM   #316
Bluewater34
Is Old

We’re up to another weekend my friends, and Jason is up.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:19 PM   #317
morgadt

Home Again is a great, easy album to listen to. I'm a big of fan of Sam Cooke and old school soul music. I do enjoy new music that sounds old.
Old Yesterday, 09:09 AM   #318
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man

Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater34 View Post
Weíre up to another weekend my friends, and Jason is up.
Man, that weekend just comes and goes. This one's on a whim after I listened to it last weekend while driving all day in the rain. Rob repeated artists earlier so I might as well do the same, here.....but it's probably not what you'd expect. Someone else suggested an earlier BNL record....and now:

I've always thought of this one as Barenaked Ladies' last record. I know they released a few after this (and continue to tour minus Steven Page,) but really, why bother? This one has some real gems on it and deserves a front-to-back listen, especially for fans of BNL's early stuff who never really gave this record a shot.

Quote:
After recording and touring incessantly from 1995 until 2001, Barenaked Ladies opted to take some time off for 2002 and most of 2003. It was the first long-term hiatus for the band since their inception. Upon returning to the recording studio to begin recording what would become Everything to Everyone, BNL adopted a new policy of keeping the writing exclusively within the band members. This resulted in increased contribution from Jim Creeggan and Kevin Hearn, and the band ended up recording more songs than usual (which in turn resulted in a 14-song album plus a bonus track). The album was recorded in Los Angeles, and was the first album the band recorded following the inception of their online blog. This allowed the band to communicate with their fans on a continual basis during the recording, and gave additional insight into the creative process.

The band took to the facility's B-studio near the end of the recording to record versions of the album's songs on acoustic instruments. This was quickly set up, and drummer Tyler Stewart ended up using a drum kit assembled from various unusual objects. The band performed eleven songs which comprised the entire released album except for "Shopping", "Unfinished", "War on Drugs" and the bonus track "Yes! Yes!! Yes!!!".

The album's first single was "Another Postcard", which many fans perceived as an attempt by the record company to repeat the success of hit singles "One Week" from Stunt and "Pinch Me" from Maroon, which have similar styles and rap-based vocals. Though the band appeared on a number of major U.S. talk shows to promote it, the single was not significantly successful. The band supported the album release with a U.S. tour called the Peepshow tour, which was not a typical promotional tour for the band and was seen as being somewhat geared towards the band's biggest fans, rather than promoting the album to casual fans. Everything to Everyone debuted in the Canadian and US Top 10, but dropped fairly quickly down the charts. At the time it was only the band's second album to have not at least been certified Gold in the US, along with 1994's Maybe You Should Drive.
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is online now   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc