These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2010, 06:26 PM   #2001
FiddySpence
TDCya
 
FiddySpence's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 67,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by homermcclane View Post
i didn't think kendrick was all that special, but i just don't see what there was to hate about her or the movie.
there's nothing to hate about it. there have been plenty of movie i've seen where i loved it but could understand someone hating it, up in the air wasn't one of them. it was straightforward and solid from top to bottom while still being relatively safe and not being a challenging film to watch.
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:59 PM   #2002
malachite00
 
malachite00's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident View Post
there's nothing to hate about it. there have been plenty of movie i've seen where i loved it but could understand someone hating it, up in the air wasn't one of them. it was straightforward and solid from top to bottom while still being relatively safe and not being a challenging film to watch.
I can't explain it - I just don't recall ever being that annoyed by an actress. It really ruined the movie because I thought George Clooney and Vera Farmiga had good chemistry. Their story was painfully predictable though. I knew as soon as he met her what was going to happen, and I think good movies should have some element of surprise.
__________________
Too much of a good thing, maybe not so sweet....
malachite00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:08 AM   #2003
brian3641
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 12,042
So, I just finished watching The Hurt Locker and, I have to say, I wasn't overly impressed. It was well directed, shot and edited, but it didn't really blow me away. Honestly, I expected a lot more from it. I've seen all the Best Picture nominees except The Blind Side and A Serious Man, and for me Inglourious Basterds is the best film of the year.
brian3641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:16 AM   #2004
malachite00
 
malachite00's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,960
I just watched (500) Days of Summer. This really should have been nominated before a lot of the nominees. Really excellent.
__________________
Too much of a good thing, maybe not so sweet....
malachite00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:29 AM   #2005
FiddySpence
TDCya
 
FiddySpence's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 67,585
the ending of up in the air threw me for a loop, it definitely didn't take the direction i thought it would take for the last ten minutes.
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:36 AM   #2006
brian3641
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 12,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by malachite00 View Post
I just watched (500) Days of Summer. This really should have been nominated before a lot of the nominees. Really excellent.
I wouldn't have minded acting noms for JGL and Zooey, too. It's a shame it didn't at least get nominated for Original Screenplay.
brian3641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:51 AM   #2007
FiddySpence
TDCya
 
FiddySpence's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 67,585
500 days of summer was nothing more than a quirky spin on a romance movie. it was enjoyable but not oscar worthy in any way.
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:33 AM   #2008
homermcclane
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident View Post
the ending of up in the air threw me for a loop, it definitely didn't take the direction i thought it would take for the last ten minutes.
same here. but i've heard so many people say they saw it coming. i thought it was going to go for the cliched happy ending, which i would've hated.
homermcclane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:34 AM   #2009
homermcclane
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian3641 View Post
So, I just finished watching The Hurt Locker and, I have to say, I wasn't overly impressed. It was well directed, shot and edited, but it didn't really blow me away. Honestly, I expected a lot more from it. I've seen all the Best Picture nominees except The Blind Side and A Serious Man, and for me Inglourious Basterds is the best film of the year.
same here. i think if the hurt locker had a big name cast, it wouldn't be as lauded. i think people like the cinderella tale behind it.
homermcclane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 12:45 PM   #2010
NiCK (Crush)
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 50,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident View Post
500 days of summer was nothing more than a quirky spin on a romance movie. it was enjoyable but not oscar worthy in any way.
it was very well written, and I feel worthy of an Original Screenplay nod.
__________________
NC
NiCK (Crush) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:23 PM   #2011
gweeps
 
gweeps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Kingston ON, Canada
Posts: 24,678
I still need to watch the following notable 2009 films. The bolded are ones I have archived.

(500) Days of Summer
Adventureland
Crazy Heart
Avatar
Fantastic Mr. Fox
The Princess and the Frog
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
The Informant!
Cold Souls
The Greatest
The Men Who Stare at Goats
Shorts
Orphan
The Fourth Kind
The Blind Side

The Last Station
District 9
A Single Man
The Lovely Bones
Bright Star
The Cove
The White Ribbon

I should at least watch some of them before the Oscars next Sunday.
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 03:15 PM   #2012
FiddySpence
TDCya
 
FiddySpence's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 67,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by homermcclane View Post
same here. i think if the hurt locker had a big name cast, it wouldn't be as lauded. i think people like the cinderella tale behind it.
the hurt locker was one of the most suspenseful movies i've ever watched. regardless of who was in it, it was very well done.
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 03:16 PM   #2013
FiddySpence
TDCya
 
FiddySpence's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 67,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
I still need to watch the following notable 2009 films. The bolded are ones I have archived.

(500) Days of Summer
Adventureland
Crazy Heart
Avatar
Fantastic Mr. Fox
The Princess and the Frog
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
The Informant!
Cold Souls
The Greatest
The Men Who Stare at Goats
Shorts
Orphan
The Fourth Kind
The Blind Side

The Last Station
District 9
A Single Man
The Lovely Bones
Bright Star
The Cove
The White Ribbon

I should at least watch some of them before the Oscars next Sunday.
adventureland is criminally underrated.
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 03:18 AM   #2014
FiddySpence
TDCya
 
FiddySpence's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 67,585
holy fuck, the taking of pelham 123 remake is awful.
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:24 AM   #2015
gweeps
 
gweeps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Kingston ON, Canada
Posts: 24,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident View Post
holy fuck, the taking of pelham 123 remake is awful.
It blew.

From Paris with Love better be, well, better.
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:28 AM   #2016
NiCK (Crush)
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 50,360
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post

From Paris with Love better be, well, better.
Somehow I doubt it.
__________________
NC
NiCK (Crush) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:29 AM   #2017
NiCK (Crush)
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 50,360
I saw The Crazies remake last night. Pretty much what you'd expect. I enjoy horror films, so I was entertained. Certainly nothing spectacular though.
__________________
NC
NiCK (Crush) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:35 AM   #2018
homermcclane
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident View Post
the hurt locker was one of the most suspenseful movies i've ever watched. regardless of who was in it, it was very well done.
i'm not saying it isn't good, but the reaction to it has been hyperbolic.
homermcclane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:53 AM   #2019
dmb6743
RUM HAMMM!
 
dmb6743's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Denver/Pittsburgh
Posts: 3,407
Finally got around to watching Law Abiding Citizen the other night and I must say it exceeded my expectations, I really enjoyed it.
__________________
-Dave
dmb6743 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:56 AM   #2020
rentfn
 
rentfn's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 367
I enjoyed Law Abiding too. Glad to hear someone else liked it. I worried liked it because I was in a bad mood and wanted to see someone get revenge.
__________________
"nothing can kill the grimace"
-clerks cartoon
rentfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:24 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2006 thesedayscontinue.org

Page generated in 0.12942 seconds with 17 queries