These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2016, 02:48 PM   #81
ggies
Sugar Will '04

"You just watched the world's fastest SUV get its ass handed to it by an electric car. We can tell people until we are blue in the face just how worldly fast these Tesla's are and they don't seem to believe us, they get into the passenger seat and go full tourettes on us."

ggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:05 PM   #82
ggies
Sugar Will '04

[Only registered users can see links.]

And there you have it:

Quote:
Shareholders of Exxon Mobil and Chevron have voted to reject a series of resolutions aimed at encouraging the companies to take stronger actions to battle climate change.
And a big FUCK YOU to Rex for this comment. Renewable energy is growing so fast, because it's exponential not linear, that Exxon will die due to his resistance. He doesn't care what happens after he's dead because he only has like 20 more years.

Quote:
"The reality is there is no alternative energy source known on the planet or available to us today to replace the pervasiveness of fossil fuel in our global economy and in our very quality of life, and I would go beyond that and say our very survival," said Rex W. Tillerson, Exxon Mobil's president and chairman.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:15 PM   #83
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Is that surprising to you? Oil company doesn't want to spend money on environmental protection. I promise you they've paid off every politician in DC Repub and Democrat. Follow the money bruh
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 08:18 AM   #84
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambourine Man View Post
Is that surprising to you? Oil company doesn't want to spend money on environmental protection. I promise you they've paid off every politician in DC Repub and Democrat. Follow the money bruh
nope, not one bit. I still give him a big FUCK YOU for not wanting to help though. His industry is over and if people aren't paying attention to how the energy industry is changing before their very eyes, his statements could be taken as facts.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:25 AM   #85
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggies View Post
nope, not one bit. I still give him a big FUCK YOU for not wanting to help though. His industry is over and if people aren't paying attention to how the energy industry is changing before their very eyes, his statements could be taken as facts.
I agree that the industry is changing and needs to adapt, but it is certainly not "over." And use of petroleum in other products (plastics, rubber) will likely continue indefinitely. Even when vehicles are alternatively powered, it's not like we'll just forget about oil and never use it in any capacity again.
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:07 AM   #86
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayes View Post
I agree that the industry is changing and needs to adapt, but it is certainly not "over." And use of petroleum in other products (plastics, rubber) will likely continue indefinitely. Even when vehicles are alternatively powered, it's not like we'll just forget about oil and never use it in any capacity again.
Yes, there might be one company selling oil to make certain products, but there won't be an industry for it anymore.

We won't need it for ground or air transportation and we won't need it for the grid or for keeping factories running to produce products. We will need very little of it which won't be a profitable business by then.

We have the technology now to do away with our old ways, it's how fast society wants it to happen.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:34 AM   #87
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Here is just one example (I could post a ton of articles, but won't) of how fast the energy sector is changing.

Quote:
Solar Power now has more employees than either the Oil & Gas or Coal Extraction industries in the United States. The solar industry employed approximately 208,000 individuals at the end of 2015 versus 185,000+ in oil and gas, or 190,000 in coal extraction. Solar power employment is expected to grow an additional 15% in 2016 to almost 240,000 individuals. Globally, solar power now directly employs 2.8 million people as the largest renewable energy employer.
Quote:
The amount of energy produced by solar power has increased by 175X since the year 2000 globally – and according to Kurzweil that energy amount will double six times more in the next 14 years.
Old 06-01-2016, 02:19 PM   #88
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Seems like the oil investment community is starting to get it....

Quote:
“Rather than investing in potentially stranded oil and gas projects, or gambling on new technologies that they do not fully understand, the oil companies would do better to continue returning money to shareholders through dividends and share buybacks,” the FT wrote on May 27. “Instead of railing against climate policies, or paying them lip-service while quietly defying them with investment decisions, the oil companies will serve their investors and society better if they accept the limits they face, and embrace a future of long-term decline.”
Old 06-01-2016, 03:45 PM   #89
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

I fully support this thread. ggies, thanks for providing all of these articles. This is really great information.

I'm really interested in the Tesla Model 3 and I'm even considering buying one.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 04:27 PM   #90
Jayes

Seconded.

I'm getting sick of the shale commercials on CNN. Actually, I cant believe I'm still using CNN. That organization has been shittier than usual this year.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:32 PM   #91
drummerkrf

Home Run Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

I see most of ggies' posts/articles on FB, and I do enjoy this thread.

I'd have more to offer in a thread devoted to shitting all over those fuckers at Monsanto and furthering sustainable agriculture.

But ggies knows this.

Different approaches that might work together in making the earth an appreciable entity instead of the direction it is heading now.
drummerkrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:29 PM   #92
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLaKaS View Post
I fully support this thread. ggies, thanks for providing all of these articles. This is really great information.

I'm really interested in the Tesla Model 3 and I'm even considering buying one.
Quote:
Seconded.

I'm getting sick of the shale commercials on CNN. Actually, I cant believe I'm still using CNN. That organization has been shittier than usual this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerkrf View Post
I see most of ggies' posts/articles on FB, and I do enjoy this thread.

I'd have more to offer in a thread devoted to shitting all over those fuckers at Monsanto and furthering sustainable agriculture.

But ggies knows this.

Different approaches that might work together in making the earth an appreciable entity instead of the direction it is heading now.
Awesome and glad to hear it. Wasn't sure who or how many people were reading the links, but wanted to post them anyway so they would be here for anyone at any time to come back to.

It really is a fascinating time in our history. We could have started this 100 years ago, but for many reasons it didn't happen, and now we have circled back to it.

For all the futuristic movie lovers out there, we are about to see our society go from the old dirty world, to living in a world powered by the sun. Solar, wind (which is indirect sun energy), battery storage, and EVs will grow so fast in the 2020's.

We will be the last generation to have driven an ICE. My daughter's first car will be an EV. Her friends won't even think it's cool to have a dirty, loud, non-digital car.

Anyway, I'm glad some of you are seeing the transition now, because one day it will just be so common place it won't be exciting anymore....which is a good thing!

Like I said, I won't bombard this thread with every article I read, but I do like to post the important ones.

And yes drummerkrf, the agriculture problem is the other side of the sustainability equation.

Cheers!

Last edited by ggies; 06-01-2016 at 08:52 PM.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:48 AM   #93
ggies
Sugar Will '04

One more thing for a few days I went on another Tesla test drive and got to check out the autopilot and it's freakin sweeeeeeeeeeet!!

Here is a great article talking about how Tesla tracks their data.

Quote:
While Tesla owners have driven around 100 million miles on Autopilot, Anderson reveals that the fleet Autopilot hardware-equipped cars has collectively driven 780 million miles.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:06 AM   #94
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Oh, and Part 2 of the Model 3 reveal will be at the end of this year. Hot damn!!
Old 06-03-2016, 07:39 PM   #95
ggies
Sugar Will '04

And here we go.....

Also, I didn't want to cross post in the Apple thread, but apple is spending billions in R&D and the consensus is that they are developing their own EV. So yes, it looks like the smartphone has reached its limit and it's time for a new product.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:03 PM   #96
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Oh, and Part 2 of the Model 3 reveal will be at the end of this year. Hot damn!!

Quote:
And here we go.....

Also, I didn't want to cross post in the Apple thread, but apple is spending billions in R&D and the consensus is that they are developing their own EV. So yes, it looks like the smartphone has reached its limit and it's time for a new product.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 02:57 PM   #97
ggies
Sugar Will '04

More solar positives: [Only registered users can see links.]

Great graph to visually see what is happening:

Old 06-13-2016, 07:46 AM   #98
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Not a surprise, but we have another one......[Only registered users can see links.]

Quote:
Peabody Energy, America’s biggest coalmining company, has funded at least two dozen groups that cast doubt on manmade climate change and oppose environment regulations, analysis by the Guardian reveals.
Quote:
The funding spanned trade associations, corporate lobby groups, and industry front groups as well as conservative thinktanks and was exposed in court filings last month.

The coal company also gave to political organisations, funding twice as many Republican groups as Democratic ones.
Old 06-13-2016, 01:16 PM   #99
Jayes

If only there were some common motivation aside from money. I have a feeling we'd be hundreds of years more evolved by now if it existed.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:30 PM   #100
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
If only there were some common motivation aside from money. I have a feeling we'd be hundreds of years more evolved by now if it existed.
I agree. I'm at home today on one of my days off and a thunderstorm just came through as a jumped back on this message board and read your post. So as I was thinking on this subject and mankind's fate on Earth if nothing is done about the rising temps, I suddenly got up, went outside, and let the rain come down on me....which is much colder than you think it's going to be in June. I embraced nature instead of doing that adult thing of trying not to get wet and it felt great. I am now soaking wet as I type, but that much more appreciative of this world.

We all need to stop and sit in nature's surrounding every now and then.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc