These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2014, 02:15 PM   #81
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageATL View Post
As far as first listens, I get that...some do some don't. I'm can usually tell from first listen what grabs me and what doesn't. Like I said elsewhere, I think Subterranean was the only one I'd actually skip.

I usually "understand and get an album" after like 3 listens.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 05:40 PM   #82
Bluewater34
Is Old

The "How Is There Not a Foo Fighters Thread Already?!" Thread

Dave Grohl is the guest DJ on this week's All Songs Considered podcast. I haven't listened to it yet, but it sounds like he's going to be playing music from the cities he recorded the album in and talking about how they influenced him.

Last edited by Bluewater34; 11-12-2014 at 09:15 PM.
Bluewater34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 03:09 AM   #83
RageATL
The Dude abides

The "How Is There Not a Foo Fighters Thread Already?!" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater34 View Post
Dave Grohl is the guest DJ on this week's All Songs Considered podcast. I haven't listened to it yet, but it sounds like he's going to be playing music from the cities he recorded the album in and talking about how they influenced him.

And how said influence never made it into the finished product on the album? Sorry, couldn't resist.

My DMB Almanac: http://dmbalmanac.com/Member.aspx?number=576

Last edited by RageATL; 11-13-2014 at 09:47 AM.
RageATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 04:55 AM   #84
RageATL
The Dude abides

North American tour dates will be announced Tuesday, 11/18.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:41 AM   #85
Bluewater34
Is Old

Quote:
And how said influence never made it into the finished product on the album? Sorry, couldn't resist. : p

Doesn't bother me. I haven't really liked a Foo Fighters album since Colour.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:39 AM   #86
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
And how said influence never made it into the finished product on the album? Sorry, couldn't resist. : p

I guess I'm missing the joke?
Old 11-13-2014, 09:48 AM   #87
RageATL
The Dude abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLaKaS View Post
I guess I'm missing the joke?
Aside from seeing the HBO Special for a given city, there's absolutely no way to tell which city a song was recorded in...none of that spirit crept into/influenced any of the songs.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:56 AM   #88
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Aside from seeing the HBO Special for a given city, there's absolutely no way to tell which city a song was recorded in...none of that spirit crept into/influenced any of the songs.

Oh, I gotcha now. Yea, I was trying to listen to the lyrics to see if I could guess which song belonged to which city, but it's not that easy.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:21 AM   #89
RageATL
The Dude abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLaKaS View Post
Oh, I gotcha now. Yea, I was trying to listen to the lyrics to see if I could guess which song belonged to which city, but it's not that easy.
Case in point from "Something From Nothing' - During the Chicago episode, Buddy Guy was talking about how, when he was planning on moving to Chicago, he was wondering if he was going to be able to make a living as a blues musician. He stated that "I was looking for a dime and found a quarter." BAM, Grohl straight up lifts this line from the interview and inserts it into the song with no context. As much as I love FF and Dave Grohl, I dunno about that...it seems kinda dicey and a bit lazy to me. Just read a few reviews on the album and you'll see what folks are complaining about:

[Only registered users can see links.]

Old 11-13-2014, 04:48 PM   #90
Bluewater34
Is Old

Regardless of what you think about that new Foos album, this NPR All Songs Considered thing with Dave Grohl is well worth hearing. I haven't even listened to the record, but I'm really enjoying this conversation about the music and how it relates to his life. I'd recommend it to anybody with even a passing appreciation for Nirvana or the Foo Fighters. He also confirms that the music was written before they even went to the cities they recorded in, which explains why the songs don't sound like their respective cities.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:59 AM   #91
RageATL
The Dude abides

Quote:
Regardless of what you think about that new Foos album, this NPR All Songs Considered thing with Dave Grohl is well worth hearing. I haven't even listened to the record, but I'm really enjoying this conversation about the music and how it relates to his life. I'd recommend it to anybody with even a passing appreciation for Nirvana or the Foo Fighters. He also confirms that the music was written before they even went to the cities they recorded in, which explains why the songs don't sound like their respective cities.
I'd like to hear that, will def look for it. Yeah, it is known that they had sketches/skeletons of the tunes before they arrived in the city but man, inject some of that local flavor in them espoecially if that's supposedly what the project is all about. Regardless, it's new Foo and that's all that matters to me.

Also, if you enjoy that NPR thing, be sure to watch "Back & Forth," their career-spanning documentary, it's amazing, warts and all.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:18 AM   #92
Bluewater34
Is Old

Quote:
I'd like to hear that, will def look for it.

It's here, or you can get it from iTunes.

Old 11-14-2014, 12:04 PM   #93
RageATL
The Dude abides

Quote:
It's here, or you can get it from iTunes.

Word, thanks bro!

Old 11-15-2014, 01:55 PM   #94
gweeps

Quote:
BOOM:

Love this song.

I wonder sometimes what Kurt would think of Foo Fighters. Chances are they'd be a very different band - if at all a band.
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 03:33 PM   #95
homermcclane

first and only foo album i've ever been disappointed in. the only tracks i really go back to are something from nothing, feast and the famine, what did i do (the first part), and in the clear. granted, that's half the album tracks, but that's still a low batting average.

each album since One by One has had some sort of conceit or hook to it - expanding musical horizons, recording methods, etc. usually it's worked in their favor, or at least hasn't come at the expense of the music. this time around though i'd say it's all less than the sum of its parts. the music is a letdown and the gimmick, as noted here several times, doesn't really payoff in any substantial way. i think the gimmick of the next album should be having no gimmick at all.
homermcclane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 03:38 PM   #96
Bluewater34
Is Old

So, a question for those of you who have an opinion on this one: If this album had come out just as it is with no changes at all, but hadn't been surrounded by this concept, the HBO show, etc., would this still be a big disappointment, or is the problem mostly that the execution doesn't live up to the narrative attached to it?
Old 11-16-2014, 08:31 AM   #97
RageATL
The Dude abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by homermcclane View Post
first and only foo album i've ever been disappointed in. the only tracks i really go back to are something from nothing, feast and the famine, what did i do (the first part), and in the clear. granted, that's half the album tracks, but that's still a low batting average.

each album since One by One has had some sort of conceit or hook to it - expanding musical horizons, recording methods, etc. usually it's worked in their favor, or at least hasn't come at the expense of the music. this time around though i'd say it's all less than the sum of its parts. the music is a letdown and the gimmick, as noted here several times, doesn't really payoff in any substantial way. i think the gimmick of the next album should be having no gimmick at all.
I dunno, but Wasting Light kicks all kinds of ass.

Quote:
So, a question for those of you who have an opinion on this one: If this album had come out just as it is with no changes at all, but hadn't been surrounded by this concept, the HBO show, etc., would this still be a big disappointment, or is the problem mostly that the execution doesn't live up to the narrative attached to it?
Fair question indeed. Had Dave kept his trap shut and just did this thing minus all the pomp and circumstance, then yes, I would say it'd be pretty dang good (which I think it still is). But like you said, he ran his mouth, did the show etc. and the finished product didn't remotely reflect what he set out to accomplish.

Old 11-16-2014, 10:53 PM   #98
Garntd

Hoping there's a secret show here in New Orleans next weekend (and that I can snag a ticket).
Garntd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 03:57 PM   #99
RageATL
The Dude abides

Allmusic.com chimes in on "Sonic Highways" with a 3.5 (out of 5) star review:

Nobody ever would've thought the Foo Fighters were gearing up for a hiatus following the vibrant 2011 LP Wasting Light, but the group announced just that in 2012. It was a short-lived break, but during that time-off, lead Foo Dave Grohl filmed an ode to the classic Los Angeles recording studio Sound City, which in turn inspired the group's 2014 album, Sonic Highways. Constructed as an aural travelog through the great rock & roll cities of America -- a journey that was documented on an accompanying HBO mini-series of the same name -- Sonic Highways picks up the thread left dangling from Sound City: Real to Reel; it celebrates not the coiled fury of underground rock exploding into the mainstream, the way the '90s-happy Wasting Light did, but rather the classic rock that unites the U.S. from coast to coast. No matter the cameo here -- and there are plenty of guests, all consciously different from the next, all bending to the needs of their hosts -- the common denominator is the pumping amps, sky-scraping riffs, and sugary melodies that so identify the sound of arena rock at its pre-MTV peak. There are a few unexpected wrinkles, as when Ben Gibbard comes aboard to give "Subterranean" a canned electronic pulse and Tony Visconti eases the closing "I Am a River" into a nearly eight-minute epic, but the brief eight-song album just winds up sounding like nothing else but the Foo Fighters at their biggest, burliest, and loudest. They've become the self-proclaimed torch barriers for real rock, championing the music's history but also blessedly connecting the '70s mainstream and '80s underground so it's all one big nation ruled by six-strings. That the mainstream inevitably edges out the underground on Sonic Highways is perhaps inevitable -- it is the common rock language, after all -- but even if there's a lingering predictability in the paths the Foo Fighters follow on Sonic Highways, they nevertheless know how to make this familiar journey pleasurable.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:45 AM   #100
RageATL
The Dude abides

North American tour dates are coming out today!

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc