These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2014, 11:11 AM   #181
Bluewater34
Is Old

Had to put our family dog to sleep this morning. It's been a bad year.
Old 10-15-2014, 11:48 AM   #182
SonofSuns34
There are no strings on me...

That sucks... our 14 year old cat keeps pissing on the kids' bed... taking him to the vet tonight for probably the same result...
SonofSuns34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:25 PM   #183
ThememanXX
Ichiro is the New Giancarlo

Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

that's awful, sorry guys
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:39 PM   #184
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Yea, sorry to the both of you
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 08:30 PM   #185
SonofSuns34

So the cat has diabetes, and we cancelled his insurance last month to pay for our life insurance policy... two shots of insulin a day... looks like im gonna start being an Uber driver for some extra scratch to pay for cat insulin...
also I couldnt look at the Vet with a straight face cus all I kept saying in my head was "This Cat, is a diabetic!"

Old 10-16-2014, 07:50 AM   #186
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

My 19 year old cat died a month or two back. And my 16 year old dog 7 months before that

My parents had a cat that died when I was 15; she was 21.5 years old
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:50 PM   #187
drummerkrf

Home Run Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

Proud of my wide and I today. Last Sunday morning we took in two dogs roaming our cul-de-sec. They were well-fed and well-mannered, thought surely somebody would be looking for them.

Posted 'Found Dogs' signs, put their info all over the internet, etc etc.

Long story short, nobody came forward for them but we refused to surrender them because their is just no room in shelters here in Texas, didn't want these sweet dogs to meet their end because we couldn't handle caring for them for a few days.

After much effort, today we were able to find them both homes.

Call me a sap... But there's always a little more that can be done for the good ol puppy dog.
drummerkrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 09:03 PM   #188
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

I dont know what it is that makes me so sappy with animals, but the last five years have found me a goofy-ass animal lover
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:32 PM   #189
Bluewater34
Is Old

I don't know why either, but I'm a huge sucker for animals. To me, the way a person treats animals is the measure of their quality. You can treat other people like shit, but be mean to a dog and I'll hate you for the rest of your days.

You can't really treat people like shit and be OK with me, but I'll hate you a lot quicker if it's a dog.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:10 AM   #190
drummerkrf

Opinions and advice appreciated as big decision looms

Decided to post this here since I don't consider either 'work' scenarios sucking... plus this affects the future of my family more than anything, so here goes:

I've recently been presented with an opportunity that will, perhaps, have just as much long-term provenance as it does short-term... if not more. If you have the patience enough to read all of this, I'd greatly appreciate any feedback and advice.

Quick Backstory: Coming out of school in 2008, there wasn't much in terms of jobs to be had. Thankfully I had a family business to fall back on and spent 2-3 years working with my hands and doing relatively 'hard labor' for my grandfather's countertop business. After 3 years of installing granite countertops, I grew frustrated with the top-heavy company that he has run for over 50 years with his 3 sons alongside (my three uncles, brothers to my mother). Because of this, along with my grandfather's dragging his feet on making me a salesmen, I moved on to the current job I hold.

The Decision to be made:
Currently, I've held the title of Production Manager at a concrete foundation manufacturing company, a corporate company that boasts the largest post-tension cable production in its market. Along with this job came these (good/bad[?], you decide):
-Upward mobility
-Corporate benefits (insurance, etc)
-Corporate Credit Card (I.e. purchasing power)
-Company cell phone
-My own office
-Overtime hours under salary position (that is lower than the industry average)
-Monthly inventory requirements
-80% of the day behind a computer
-Multiple branch locations; more than likely opportunity to manage a branch in another city one day, perhaps even make corporate
-Dealing with Corporate on a daily basis

Recently, one of my uncles has announced that he is leaving the family business. The position that will be left open is one of the most important to the company, managing/running the granite shop. Naturally, as I've earned production management skills in recent years at my current job, I've also known the countertop business and therefore am the choice candidate to take over for my uncle. There are other things at play here. My grandfather is a micro-manager and still cuts wooden tops at the shop at the age of 77. He still runs things his way, that has brought him success for over 50 years. Every shop drawing is done on paper, drafted by hand. There is a need for the entire operation to become more automated and more efficient.

My grandfather has officially offered me the job, and I have all of 'The Hand' (in Seinfeld-speak) in the matter. He has admitted that he treated me wrong in the past, and knows that I am the only member of the 3rd generation that can bring good things to the company. I am also the only person that would have worked at the shop, left to acquire new knowledge from a major industry player, and then come back to the counter top business offering what I've learned... Here are the things that this position has to offer:

-401k/Insurance (mom-and-pop shop, so not nearly as good as a corporate gig)
-Company vehicle (gas, insurance, payments all made by the company)
-Flexible schedule (could be good with kids in our hopeful future)
-Company Credit Card
-Company cell phone
-More money initially but...
-Not as much upward mobility
-The ability to implement my own processes to help the company become more efficient, IF my grandfather is willing to let me have that kind of control (a big 'if')
-More of a hands-on role in fabrication (something I quite enjoy from my time installing)
-Job and location security
-here's the kicker... a cut of company ownership (given my mother's 15% of the company, and probably more throughout the years)

Basically... this job would give me the chance to re-vamp a company that desperately needs it, and put my own fingerprint on it to succeed moving forward. In due time... it might be considered 'MY company'.

So... what would you guys do?
Old 11-10-2014, 10:29 AM   #191
Bluewater34
Is Old

How open are your uncles to making changes within the company? I'm asking because at his age, your grandpa can't keep doing that work forever. I assume that after he steps aside (however that occurs) that control will pass to an uncle. If your uncles are open to updating along the lines that you've wanted, I think sticking it out through your grandfather's tenure could leave you in a position for a big future. It's a bigger risk than an established corporate job, but the pay-off could be huge for you. If you feel like you honestly have an opportunity to shape your family business and continue their success or raise their profile further, I'd have a hard time not taking that opportunity.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:37 AM   #192
drummerkrf

That's where I'm at right now with this.

At this point the uncles are what I need in my corner and fully on board with this. For the two that will remain there, the company's success is the only thing that determines their livelihood. Neither have worked anywhere else, neither would be able to easily make the jump to another position elsewhere.

They both know, and have tried to some degree, that change is inevitable if the company were to survive (not that its in danger of going under right now, but at some point it can't maintain the current business model and stay competitive). Now, whether that change starts now or in 5 years, or 10, whenever my granddad bites the dust (that's the only way he'd be 'out'), remains to be seen.

Either way, nobody up there knows a single thing about traceability, inventory management, safe work environments, vendor/customer relations, etc as much as I've learned in the last 3 years... and especially not when regarding a computer's involvement in the manner.

I'm not saying I have all the answers, but I might be the closest thing to getting us there.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:44 AM   #193
Bluewater34
Is Old

It's a huge life decision, so nobody call tell you what you should do, but given what you've told us, I think that personally, I'd do it.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:49 AM   #194
drummerkrf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater34 View Post
It's a huge life decision, so nobody call tell you what you should do, but given what you've told us, I think that personally, I'd do it.

Thanks for your input. Truly appreciate it. It certainly seems like I'm leaning that way.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:32 PM   #195
SonofSuns34

I bounced in and out of my family's HVAC business for a few years in high school and college, I tired to stay away from it as much as possible, but in 2005 the service manager was going out on surgery for 3 months and they needed help and I was Tired of substitute teaching for 50 bucks a day with no benefits... So I did Service management until the other manager came back with the intention of taking it over...

Now where I came to work here we were still using a DOS!!!!!!!!!! based computer system... So I changed the software around, make routing of technicians more viable and have seen my sales as a manager go from 600K to just over 1 Million this year.

Working for the family has its perks (the phone, the gas card, the health insurance, the time off when the kids are puking) that A corporate jobs couldn't match, and while there really isnt upward movement position wise, being a part of the revolutionizing of my family's business is awesome...
Old 11-10-2014, 12:40 PM   #196
Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerkrf View Post

So... what would you guys do?

Bluewater hit the nail on the head when asking about the uncles. That was my main concern when reading about what otherwise seems the better choice. With the uncles involved, and your grandfather's age, you certainly may want to get some things in writing in the form of an employment agreement and/or shareholder agreement (if/when you get ownership interest) to fully protect yourself.

My advice is to go back to work for the family business. I have a relevant perspective on this. I am in a family business that I joined almost 20 years ago (since August '95). You remind me of myself in the sense that you will bring some new insight and things to the table that I similarly did then. I helped the business grow a lot over the last 20 years, and we fortunately have been very successful.

You mentioned the flexible schedule that the new career would allow. I can't tell you how important and wonderful it is to be able have control over your schedule, especially when you have kids and will start wanting to leave early for games and practices, etc., and take certain days off for whatever reason, vacation when you want to, etc.

I worked harder initially than I do now, but I've gotten to the point where I'm doing very well financially and have the total freedom and control over my schedule, and it is great, and sounds like you're best route to getting there would be going back to Grandpa's business.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 01:55 PM   #197
ggies
Sugar Will '04

As long as your uncles are open to change once your grandfather is gone, I'd do it. You worked hard when you were there and you deserve to finally show what you can do with the company. You are a smart man and a great problem solver, which will lead to your success.
ggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 03:28 PM   #198
drummerkrf

Thanks for taking the time to weigh in fellas.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:15 PM   #199
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Yes, I agree with everyone else's opinion as well. If your uncles are wiling to work with you on your recommendations, then go back into the family business. Corporate America is just so negative right now.

I am also on a similar position at the moment. I worked for my grandfather and father in their restaurant and diner businesses for most of my life. I took a different route in 2010 and entered corporate america. I honestly can't stand it because of all the exploitation and backstabbing. I am intelligent and have the hunger/drive to start my own business. I would like to involve my father, since he is getting older now and can't work like a dog anymore, but more as a mentor to guide me initially.

I too need to make a decision soon, so I say, let's be risk takers and go for it
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 05:25 PM   #200
SonofSuns34

And if things don't work out at the family business, Corporate is always there waiting... I know this is an intangible, but to me there is something rewarding about keeping a family business alive and thriving. Whatever choice you make needs to make you happy, working miserable just plain sucks

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc