These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 09:39 AM   #141
Jonas
BLUFF

Everyone here burn a bag of money and watch the world turn to shit!!! MUHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
06.06.01, 07.08.02, 03.28.03 (I'm the reason Dave sang the Watermelon song), 03.29.03, 09.19.03, 09.20.03, 07.27.04, 08.15.06, 09.08.07 (Piedmont), 07.07.08, 08.01.08, 04.25.09, 04.29.09, 07.27.10, 05.22.12
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:54 AM   #142
Mersh

Go back to pre-1913, protect yourself against government tyranny (ar-15 v. modern US military), get rid of food stamps (one of the most stimulative programs), only use specie as currency, China doesn't need us, etc...where to start?
Mersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:58 AM   #143
Mersh

When people start from the Ron Paul end times shit as a baseline argument, I don't know how anyone can take that seriously. There are arguments to be made and discussion to be had, but for Christ's sake...
Old 12-31-2012, 11:17 AM   #144
mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddySpence View Post
yes, there is always one example of anything. that doesn't mean the rich will en masse leave the country. there are plenty of rich liberals who don't mind their tax rate going up.
I'm not in this argument, but I'll try to keep it fair from time to time.

A ton of musicians in the 60s or 70s left Brittain due to the high taxes. Keith Richards talks about it extensively in his biography.

mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:43 PM   #145
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
Go back to pre-1913, protect yourself against government tyranny (ar-15 v. modern US military), get rid of food stamps (one of the most stimulative programs), only use specie as currency, China doesn't need us, etc...where to start?
Are you serious about food stamps being stimulative? I see people buying junk food with them at my grocery store. I guess it's stimulating some rich grocery store owners. That's the thing about welfare, it usually helps the rich more than it helps the poor.
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:48 PM   #146
Mersh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambourine Man View Post
Are you serious about food stamps being stimulative? I see people buying junk food with them at my grocery store. I guess it's stimulating some rich grocery store owners. That's the thing about welfare, it usually helps the rich more than it helps the poor.
they actually are

[Only registered users can see links.]

hardly the larger point though
Old 12-31-2012, 01:52 PM   #147
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

It's stimulating to the economy in the same way that buying a house was stimulating before 2008. Prosperity does not come from taxing people/ printing money and giving it to people to buy food they don't need at the grocery store.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:03 PM   #148
Mersh

Quote:
It's stimulating to the economy in the same way that buying a house was stimulating before 2008. Prosperity does not come from taxing people/ printing money and giving it to people to buy food they don't need at the grocery store.
Food they don't need?

I wasn't claiming it is a road to prosperity. It was a small part of a larger argument that was being made which is basically, "the 1800s were great!" I think that is ridiculous, but as with most libertarians or whatever people of the Ron Paul ilk are calling themselves these days, there isn't ever much reasonable discussion. The government is always out to get you, taxes are theft at gun point and do nothing of use, freedom, liberty, rinse, repeat.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:04 PM   #149
Mersh

But yeah, I really knew better than to get involved in this here and I did anyway. It is really my fault.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:44 PM   #150
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Quote:
Food they don't need?

I wasn't claiming it is a road to prosperity. It was a small part of a larger argument that was being made which is basically, "the 1800s were great!" I think that is ridiculous, but as with most libertarians or whatever people of the Ron Paul ilk are calling themselves these days, there isn't ever much reasonable discussion. The government is always out to get you, taxes are theft at gun point and do nothing of use, freedom, liberty, rinse, repeat.
Why is it ridiculous that we identify with the economic policy of a certain time as being a model that we should follow?

To me it's ridiculous for people like you to think stimulating the economy comes from money printing, which is the main way everything is funded. Look how that has worked for other countries who have destroyed their currencies. What makes you think this time will be any different?
Old 12-31-2012, 02:46 PM   #151
inmytree
Hey Gee.

Because there seems to be no willingness on your part to recognize that what worked in the 1800's may not work now.
inmytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:47 PM   #152
FiddySpence
TDCya

a killer drinking game could be made out of the amount of times tamby references printing money
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:18 PM   #153
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmytree View Post
Because there seems to be no willingness on your part to recognize that what worked in the 1800's may not work now.
People here want to go back to the way things were 2000 years ago. The Roman Empire diluted the metals and thought that prosperity could come from fooling the people about the value of money. Doesn't work.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:43 PM   #154
Mersh

Quote:
Why is it ridiculous that we identify with the economic policy of a certain time as being a model that we should follow?

To me it's ridiculous for people like you to think stimulating the economy comes from money printing, which is the main way everything is funded. Look how that has worked for other countries who have destroyed their currencies. What makes you think this time will be any different?
I'm not advocating we print ourselves into oblivion, but I guess that is just anyone who disagrees with you.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:44 PM   #155
Mersh

Just for the sake of curiousity, what are your top 5 books? I mean non-fiction history, poly sci, economics, etc. books.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:47 PM   #156
Mersh

Also, the multiple Panics and economic depressions of the 1800s were great.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:54 PM   #157
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Quote:
Just for the sake of curiousity, what are your top 5 books? I mean non-fiction history, poly sci, economics, etc. books.
End The Fed - Ron Paul

The Real Crash: America's Coming Bankruptcy - Peter Schiff

America's Great Depression - Murray Rothbard

The Road To Serfdom - FA Hayek
Old 12-31-2012, 03:56 PM   #158
inmytree
Hey Gee.

Quote:
People here want to go back to the way things were 2000 years ago. The Roman Empire diluted the metals and thought that prosperity could come from fooling the people about the value of money. Doesn't work.
You're the only person in here I recall suggesting that we base economic policy on a particular period in history. But good attempt at completely avoiding what I said.

Look, if you want to go down the strict libertarian view, all the power to you, but I don't think you should be upset if people don't see your views as grounded in reality. You're advocating a utopia instead of a game plan.
inmytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 03:57 PM   #159
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Quote:
Also, the multiple Panics and economic depressions of the 1800s were great.
That stuff happens, but in a free market system the market cleanses itself and the problem goes away quickly. When the government gets involved, you delay the agony. The Great Depression was caused by government intervention, which is why it lasted do long. Same with the crisis we're in now. If we would have let the banks fail and lowered taxes, this all would be over.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:59 PM   #160
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmytree View Post
You're the only person in here I recall suggesting that we base economic policy on a particular period in history. But good attempt at completely avoiding what I said.

Look, if you want to go down the strict libertarian view, all the power to you, but I don't think you should be upset if people don't see your views as grounded in reality. You're advocating a utopia instead of a game plan.
Libertarians have practical solutions to every problem we face. It's not idealistic or a utopia, it could happen if the people wanted it. People are getting too much free stuff from the government to understand/care about what's going on.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc