These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2017, 03:22 PM   #81
mjf

I've been trying to gather my thoughts on all this before I posted. It's strange, I never considered myself the biggest Petty fan yet alot of my best memories are tied to him.

When I was 15 yrs old/freshman in high school, about 10 of my friends and I saw Petty at Camden. It was the first time any of us went to a show without parents, and also our first tailgate. Needless to say we got fuckin hammered and had the time of our lives I had been going to see shows with my parents up until that point, but from then on that group of friends and I tried to see shows as often as we could. Ended up seeing Petty, DMB, Eric Clapton, Neil Young, Simon & Garfunkel, Waters, Allman Brothers, the Stones, etc before I had even graduated high school....

I never really thought about it until my buddy called me when Petty died. It really all started with that first Tom Petty show at Camden for us. I saw Petty about 4-5 times I think, and while I can't say I ever made it past a casual fan, again I feel like I owe a lot to the man and I always had a blast at his shows.

RIP
mjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 04:04 PM   #82
gweeps

Petty's final interview: [Only registered users can see links.]
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 04:29 PM   #83
Bluewater34
Is Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf View Post
I've been trying to gather my thoughts on all this before I posted. It's strange, I never considered myself the biggest Petty fan yet alot of my best memories are tied to him.

When I was 15 yrs old/freshman in high school, about 10 of my friends and I saw Petty at Camden. It was the first time any of us went to a show without parents, and also our first tailgate. Needless to say we got fuckin hammered and had the time of our lives I had been going to see shows with my parents up until that point, but from then on that group of friends and I tried to see shows as often as we could. Ended up seeing Petty, DMB, Eric Clapton, Neil Young, Simon & Garfunkel, Waters, Allman Brothers, the Stones, etc before I had even graduated high school....

I never really thought about it until my buddy called me when Petty died. It really all started with that first Tom Petty show at Camden for us. I saw Petty about 4-5 times I think, and while I can't say I ever made it past a casual fan, again I feel like I owe a lot to the man and I always had a blast at his shows.

RIP
I posted something similar in another thread. I know exactly what you mean: I wouldn't have ever mentioned Tom Petty as one of my favorite artists, but when I think back over my life, songs of his that I've always loved and continue to love are a part of a lot of memories. Without a doubt more than many of the artists that I do call favorites. His music was so consistent, so unassuming and so unpretentious that it became increasingly easy to take him for granted. With him suddenly dying so unexpectedly, it really throws that into sharp relief.
Old 10-08-2017, 08:41 AM   #84
Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater34 View Post
I posted something similar in another thread. I know exactly what you mean: I wouldn't have ever mentioned Tom Petty as one of my favorite artists, but when I think back over my life, songs of his that I've always loved and continue to love are a part of a lot of memories. Without a doubt more than many of the artists that I do call favorites. His music was so consistent, so unassuming and so unpretentious that it became increasingly easy to take him for granted. With him suddenly dying so unexpectedly, it really throws that into sharp relief.
well said. I said it recently in one of these threads, but as a teen of the 80's, Petty has been a big part of my life's soundtrack. It's so true what you say of taking it for granted. I often think that or say that to my wife of a lot the songs/artists you hear on "classic rock" radio. I heard them all so much that I take them for granted, but sometimes when I hear them I'm like "fuck, this really is an amazing song."
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 01:46 PM   #85
gweeps

Goddamn, just discovered this song. Petty mentioned it in his final interview.

Old 10-08-2017, 01:57 PM   #86
bassplayer22

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
Goddamn, just discovered this song. Petty mentioned it in his final interview.

My favorite track off Hypnotic Eye
bassplayer22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 05:16 PM   #87
Bluewater34
Is Old

To honor Tom Petty, tomorrow Pitchfork is going to dedicate all their daily reviews to his albums. They're going to do the debut, Damn the Torpedoes, Full Moon Fever and Wildflowers.
Old 10-09-2017, 06:05 PM   #88
mjf

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
well said. I said it recently in one of these threads, but as a teen of the 80's, Petty has been a big part of my life's soundtrack. It's so true what you say of taking it for granted. I often think that or say that to my wife of a lot the songs/artists you hear on "classic rock" radio. I heard them all so much that I take them for granted, but sometimes when I hear them I'm like "fuck, this really is an amazing song."
completely agree

Quote:
To honor Tom Petty, tomorrow Pitchfork is going to dedicate all their daily reviews to his albums. They're going to do the debut, Damn the Torpedoes, Full Moon Fever and Wildflowers.
Nice. My friends were all obsessed with Wildflowers but I'm with Mitch, always thought Damn the Torpedoes was his best. Into the Great Wide Open was great too, that was actually the first Petty album I heard.
mjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:38 PM   #89
priceofacoke910
The Curmudgeon

Damn the Torpedoes is damn fine album!
priceofacoke910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 01:31 PM   #90
Mitch

There's of course been a ton of Petty covers this past week, but this I think is my favorite. Petty's best song tore up by one of the best living artists now.

this is also good, but mostly because of how friggin' hot his wife is.

Old 10-10-2017, 02:49 PM   #91
Bluewater34
Is Old

Badass.
Old 10-10-2017, 03:21 PM   #92
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
Quote:

roshea999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:03 PM   #93
drummerkrf

Home Run Champion!Tournaments Won: 1

Quote:
Did I miss something else real good?

Mojo.
for the Pigpen side of your musical taste...

I got a new work vehicle and it came with the 1-year of free XM radio, the dial hasn't changed from Ch. 31 since news of his passing. Pretty emotional tributes there...
drummerkrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:10 PM   #94
Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerkrf View Post
Mojo.
for the Pigpen side of your musical taste...
Yeah, Mojo is pretty good. “I Should Have Known It” is probably my favorite post-Wildflowers Petty tune.
Old 10-11-2017, 05:36 PM   #95
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
There's of course been a ton of Petty covers this past week, but this I think is my favorite. Petty's best song tore up by one of the best living artists now.

Wow these are both awesome covers! Thanks for sharing.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:28 AM   #96
Josh.0

Man, I've had Crawling Back To You on repeat for pretty much two weeks now. Can't get that song out of my head for some reason.

Still feeling the sting from all of this.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:39 AM   #97
Mitch

Yeah man. We've lost a lot of musicians over the last couple of years, but this is the only one that has really affected me.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:13 PM   #98
gweeps

I first heard Wake Up Time a couple days ago. Hit me like a ton of bricks.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:54 PM   #99
Josh.0

Quote:
Yeah man. We've lost a lot of musicians over the last couple of years, but this is the only one that has really affected me.
Agreed. Bowie hurt quite a bit, too. Prince a little, but I hurt more for his fans.

But this one is in another stratosphere. I saw the lead singer of the Killers describe it as being “stabbed in the heart,” and I think that’s about right.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:02 PM   #100
morgadt

Multiple albums sound like a rough draft to their greatest hits album. Amazing.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc