These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2011, 09:33 PM   #121
FiddySpence
TDCya

my roi joke was just that, but really i think this is a much bigger deal. but that's not a debate i want to have at all and is tacky as hell.
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:33 PM   #122
FiddySpence
TDCya

bruce's statement:

Clarence lived a wonderful life. He carried within him a love of people that made them love him. He created a wondrous and extended family. He loved the saxophone, loved our fans and gave everything he had every night he stepped on stage. His loss is immeasurable and we are honored and thankful to have known him and had the oppurtunity to stand beside him for nearly forty years. He was my great friend, my partner and with Clarence at my side, my band and I were able to tell a story far deeper than those simply contained in our music. His life, his memory, and his love will live on in that story and in our band.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:41 PM   #123
SoftMacho
Moore Soul

shitty statement
SoftMacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:44 PM   #124
FiddySpence
TDCya

about what can be expected from anyone hours after it happened. i'm sure there will be something more from him
Old 06-18-2011, 09:46 PM   #125
SoftMacho
Moore Soul

obviously springsteen will tour forever solo/different bands/etc but i think tonight is the first night we can say it will never be the same again
Old 06-18-2011, 10:04 PM   #126
FiddySpence
TDCya

yeah. sure Danny died, but as far as the image and spirit of E-Street is concerned Big Man was the biggest part of that besides bruce himself. now if we lose little stevie then we're fucked.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:14 PM   #127
SoftMacho
Moore Soul

springsteen will tour with a new sax man, new drummer, little steven, roy, awful wife, etc. i'll probably go. i hope it doesn't suck
Old 06-18-2011, 10:18 PM   #128
FiddySpence
TDCya

big man's got a few dozen illegitimate children running around out there, i'm sure one can play sax and is large.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:46 PM   #129
FiddySpence
TDCya

Old 06-18-2011, 10:48 PM   #130
FiddySpence
TDCya

little steve is going to outlive us all. ugly motherfuck has looked 60 since 1975
Old 06-18-2011, 10:50 PM   #131
FiddySpence
TDCya

Old 06-18-2011, 11:16 PM   #132
FiddySpence
TDCya

big man's suit is amazing in this

Old 06-18-2011, 11:24 PM   #133
SoftMacho
Moore Soul

springsteen is a greedy bastard. he'd sell anyone's soul to make a buck. but if there's anyone who he's played with who he loves, it's the big man. i have to believe springsteen is conflicted tonight.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:28 PM   #134
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftMacho View Post
springsteen is a greedy bastard. he'd sell anyone's soul to make a buck. but if there's anyone who he's played with who he loves, it's the big man. i have to believe springsteen is conflicted tonight.
oh stop it.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:10 AM   #135
NiCK Crush

RIP CC

I'm gonna listen to Gaga's The Edge of Glory in your honor.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:17 AM   #136
FiddySpence
TDCya

you son of a bitch

GAGA KILLED BIG MAN
Old 06-19-2011, 01:43 AM   #137
FiddySpence
TDCya

incredible.

Last edited by FiddySpence; 06-19-2011 at 02:11 AM.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:30 PM   #138
FiddySpence
TDCya

nice little piece by The AV Club.

E Street Band saxophonist Clarence Clemons died Saturday from complications related to a stroke. He was 69. Clemons fell ill on June 12, and underwent two brain surgeries that reportedly had him in stable condition for a time. But Clemons never made it out of the hospital in Palm Beach, Fla., where he died not far from his home in Singer Island.

Along with Danny Federici, who died in 2008 of melanoma, Clemons is now the second member that the “classic” E Street line-up has lost. In a statement, Bruce Springsteen called the impact of Clemons’ death “immeasurable,” and it’s unclear whether this signals the end of perhaps the most iconic backing group in rock history.

It’s certainly the end of the E Street Band as fans have always known it, since Clemons was easily the most recognizable guy in the group not named Bruce Springsteen. More than a mere sideman, Clemons’ special place in the band is as plain as the playful camaraderie and genuine affection on display on the cover of1975’s Born To Run, where Springsteen leans on the ever-steady Clemons for support. The cover was indicative of the duo’s Batman and Robin dynamic—and Springsteen and Clemons often switched roles in that equation. Springsteen might’ve been the Boss, but Clemons was the Big Man, and the authority he carried on stage made him an ideal straight man for Springsteen to play off of. It was a symbiotic relationship, the stuff of great marriages, and both men clearly knew what they had. As Springsteen observed Saturday, Clemons “was my great friend, my partner and with Clarence at my side, my band and I were able to tell a story far deeper than those simply contained in our music.”

On “Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out” from Born To Run, Springsteen makes Clemons’ entry into the band the stuff of rock ‘n’ roll myth: “When the change was made uptown, and the big man joined the band/From the coastline to the city, all the little pretties raise their hands.” Along with Federici and bassist Gary Tallent, Clemons was a charter member of the E Street Band, playing on Springsteen’s 1972 debut Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J. and every E Street Band release afterward. Several years older than Springsteen, Clemons was born on Jan. 11, 1942 in Norfolk, Virginia, growing up in a southern Baptist household where gospel music was the norm. He took up the saxophone when he was 9, later joining the high school jazz band. He was also a gifted football player, and was granted scholarships for athletics and music at Maryland State College. But after a car accident ended his career as a college lineman, he became a counselor for troubled children in Newark, N.J., and played on the side in soul cover bands

But what Clemons really wanted was to play rock ‘n’ roll, and when he met Springsteen—in an oft-told, “you gotta be kidding me!” kind of story—he felt a sort of instant mystical connection. As Clemons later recalled, “I looked him, and he looked at me, and we fell in love.”

As Springsteen became the biggest American rock star of the ’80s, members of the E Street Band established their own solo careers, particularly Clemons, who scored a Top 20 hit in 1985 with “You’re A Friend Of Mine,” a duet with Jackson Browne. He also made prominent appearances on other people’s records, including Aretha Franklin’s “Freeway Of Love” and, just this year, two songs from Lady Gaga’s Born This Way.

If Clemons is remembered by a single musical moment, it will likely by his solo on Born To Run’s closing number, “Jungleland,” a masterstroke so epic, emotional, and lengthy that it has its own Facebook page. Painstakingly worked out and pieced together by Clemons and Springsteen, the solo is the purely musical expression of Springsteen’s lyrical themes on the album—the need to leave home, the struggle to break the bonds both real and imagined that keep you there, the sense that there’s something bigger and better on the horizon, and the fear that you’ll never get there. While Springsteen talks a lot about escaping his circumstances on Born To Run, he needed Clemons' soaring musicianship in order to finally break through into another plane.

Clemons said that fans often told him that this solo had saved their lives; as corny or flat-out crazy as that might sound, Clemons played that solo every night like it was true. And it will keep on being true even now that he’s gone, so long as people keep turning to “Jungleland” like it’s their only friend in the world.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:52 PM   #139
NiCK Crush

Roi and Clarence Heaven Jam *

* Angels on harps
Old 06-19-2011, 07:56 PM   #140
JustinC

Phish covering Thunder Road as I type this.
JustinC is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc