In the garden of a thousand sigh's.
There's holy pictures of our children
Dancing in a sky filled with light
May I feel your arms around me
May I feel your blood mix with mine

A dream of life comes to me
Like a catfish dancing on the end of my line

just awesome

I don't know why, but that particular lyrics slays me every time I hear it.
inmytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:19 PM   #62
FiddySpence
TDCya

inmytree, i trust you're very familiar with Vedder's version of My City Of Ruins? maybe better than bruce's.
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:24 PM   #63
inmytree
Hey Gee.

I liked it, but not that much. The gold standard for me is still the 9-11 telethon version.

It was really bizarre being in New York City after that telethon, in addition to all the other craziness; all that corny talk about a song capturing a moment for an entire group of people, that actually happened. The song was everywhere in the month afterwards. I saw people in record stories breaking down and crying when the owners played that song (which, for some reason, they did over and over).

I can never separate that song for that very specific moment in time, despite the fact that I know he didn't write it for that event. It's just forever tied to that time for me, which is probably why that version does something for me that no other seems to do.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:25 PM   #64
inmytree
Hey Gee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident View Post
it's a little too long, with just the right amount of forgettable tracks that he easily could have trimmed it down to 12 songs and it would been up there with his glory days material.

but agreed about the chorus, they don't sound cheesy but he still manages to make them sound fucking huge and arena ready right from the record.

No argument here; The Rising definitely could have lost 3-4 tracks. I still think it's my favorite album he's released since Born In The U.S.A., barring Seeger Sessions.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:29 PM   #65
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
Originally Posted by inmytree View Post
I liked it, but not that much. The gold standard for me is still the 9-11 telethon version.

It was really bizarre being in New York City after that telethon, in addition to all the other craziness; all that corny talk about a song capturing a moment for an entire group of people, that actually happened. The song was everywhere in the month afterwards. I saw people in record stories breaking down and crying when the owners played that song (which, for some reason, they did over and over).

I can never separate that song for that very specific moment in time, despite the fact that I know he didn't write it for that event. It's just forever tied to that time for me, which is probably why that version does something for me that no other seems to do.
i was still pretty young (14) when that happened, and don't remember that version well since i wasn't a big fan at the time. unfortunately, what i remember most from that thing is Johnny Reznik and Fred Durst doing a song together which even then i found fucking ridiculous.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:31 PM   #66
FiddySpence
TDCya

but something about Vedder's voice, the acoustic, and the choir really does it for me. plus, seeing bruce watching throughout is pretty cool.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:32 PM   #67
FiddySpence
TDCya

i like and respect the Seeger Sessions, but man i just never want to listen to it. i dig some of the Sessions Band versions of the old songs that are on the Live In Dublin release though.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:34 PM   #68
inmytree
Hey Gee.

Quote:
i was still pretty young (14) when that happened, and don't remember that version well since i wasn't a big fan at the time. unfortunately, what i remember most from that thing is Johnny Reznik and Fred Durst doing a song together which even then i found fucking ridiculous.
Oh fuck, I forgot about that. Terrible, and I don't even like Pink Floyd.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:35 PM   #69
FiddySpence
TDCya

i really need an official version of Vedder doing Atlantic City
Old 04-29-2011, 10:36 PM   #70
inmytree
Hey Gee.

I go back and forth on Ben Harper, but his version of "My Father's House" was my favorite thing from that show. Might overtake Bruce's version.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:38 PM   #71
inmytree
Hey Gee.

Other than My City Of Ruins, I've never liked any of his Bruce solo covers. They're not bad or anything, they just don't take me.

I liked hearing him do Promised Land with Sleater-Kinney, though, harmonica solo and all.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:39 PM   #72
FiddySpence
TDCya

not very familiar with him, but i know he loves Jack Johnson and that's never a good thing.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:40 PM   #73
inmytree
Hey Gee.

Quote:
i like and respect the Seeger Sessions, but man i just never want to listen to it. i dig some of the Sessions Band versions of the old songs that are on the Live In Dublin release though.
Man, I LOVE the Seeger Sessions. Atlantic City, Jacob's Ladder, John Henry, Poor Man, all that stuff. I just love that he went in the opposite direction from a usual side project. I remember when the news came out that he was doing a Pete Seeger tribute album, everyone expected Tom Joad X10. How wrong we were about that.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:42 PM   #74
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
Other than My City Of Ruins, I've never liked any of his Bruce solo covers. They're not bad or anything, they just don't take me.

I liked hearing him do Promised Land with Sleater-Kinney, though, harmonica solo and all.
all the covers i've heard from him have been really shitty AUD recordings, especially the Atlantic City. really, i just love Atlantic City and it's an acoustic song at heart anyway so i'd love to hear clean sounding version of it.

and is there a SBD out there of that Promised Land? i'd kill to hear that, though i still hold a grudge against sleater-kinney for basically pulling a Lovely Ladies on their 2003 tour.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:42 PM   #75
FiddySpence
TDCya

man, how much does Tom Joad fucking suck
Old 04-29-2011, 10:42 PM   #76
inmytree
Hey Gee.

Quote:
not very familiar with him, but i know he loves Jack Johnson and that's never a good thing.

I agree, but it is what it is.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:43 PM   #77
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:

I agree, but it is what it is.

dude lives in hawaii and surfs all day, he could sing teen pop and Vedder would still hang out with him.

plus he loves Kings Of Leon and Dave thinks O.A.R. is real groovy. i guess not everyone is perfect.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:44 PM   #78
inmytree
Hey Gee.

Thanks for capturing my red-x fuckup.

But yeah, no love for Jack Johnson here.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:45 PM   #79
inmytree
Hey Gee.

Quote:
all the covers i've heard from him have been really shitty AUD recordings, especially the Atlantic City. really, i just love Atlantic City and it's an acoustic song at heart anyway so i'd love to hear clean sounding version of it.

and is there a SBD out there of that Promised Land? i'd kill to hear that, though i still hold a grudge against sleater-kinney for basically pulling a Lovely Ladies on their 2003 tour.
I don't know if there's an SBD on that Promised Land; I just listen to the youtube video. I'd agree about the SK = Lovely Ladies, except the Ladies are worthless and SK fucking rocks.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:45 PM   #80
FiddySpence
TDCya

i had to edit my own post because it was shitty without the picture, you're fucking it up for all of us now.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc