sean52692
Ten steps ahead of you

[Only registered users can see links.]

WTF Podcast with President Obama
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:29 AM   #22
Bluewater34
Is Old

Serial has returned! They're telling the Bowe Bergdahl story this season.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:00 PM   #23
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater34 View Post
Serial has returned! They're telling the Bowe Bergdahl story this season.

I'm listening to season 2 episode 1 right now. We'll see if this season is just as good as last year.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 08:51 AM   #24
somf4eva

Might pick this up depending on how you guys feel
somf4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 08:54 AM   #25
Bluewater34
Is Old

There's only been one episode and it was basically all set up, but the story they're trying to tell this season is very complex, controversial and complicated. If they do even half as good a job as they did last season, it'll be well worth hearing.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:09 AM   #26
Bluewater34
Is Old

So This American Life and Serial just released a new podcast called S-Town (short for Shit-Town). They set it up as trying to get the truth about a murder that had allegedly been covered up in a rural county in Alabama. Without going into too much detail, it doesn't stay there for long. They released all seven episodes at once on Tuesday and I'm already four deep and completely hooked. Think Serial Season 1, but if instead of following only the case, they had applied that level of digging to the entire community. I highly recommend it.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:38 PM   #27
Wildcats82
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

I've always enjoyed PRI's The World
Old 04-01-2017, 10:51 AM   #28
sean52692
Ten steps ahead of you

Quote:
So This American Life and Serial just released a new podcast called S-Town (short for Shit-Town). They set it up as trying to get the truth about a murder that had allegedly been covered up in a rural county in Alabama. Without going into too much detail, it doesn't stay there for long. They released all seven episodes at once on Tuesday and I'm already four deep and completely hooked. Think Serial Season 1, but if instead of following only the case, they had applied that level of digging to the entire community. I highly recommend it.
Thanks for the rec. I listened to the first episode this morning and I was absolutely entertained by the world of the Alabama fellow. Interested to see where it goes!
Old 04-01-2017, 12:03 PM   #29
Bluewater34
Is Old

The second episode totally pulls the rug out from under you. It didn't end up being anything like I thought it would, but I finished it just a few hours after I made that last post.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:33 AM   #30
sean52692
Ten steps ahead of you

S-Town was one of the best podcasts I've ever listened to. Thanks for the rec. It was brilliant.

I recently binged Up and Vanished. It's about an unsolved disappearance of a woman in small town Ocilla, GA. In a way, it reminded me of S-Town. Definitely listen to it if you've got time, some interesting twists happen. It's not nearly as well produced, directed, etc as S-Town, but still quite good.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:50 AM   #31
morgadt

I'm from Birmingham, but I never knew anything about Woodstock or Bibb County... But, yeah. It's the best crime-related podcast that I know. The section about horology and clock restoring was incredibly fascinating.
Old 06-06-2017, 12:40 AM   #32
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Joe Rogan
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:12 PM   #33
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambourine Man View Post
Joe Rogan
Hey we agree on this!

I do love his podcast. His standup does absolutely nothing for me. The MMA stuff does nothing for me. But he consistently has incredible guests and thought-provoking conversations.

The stuff with Jordan Peterson, Sam Harris, etc. is really compelling.

While the Joey Diaz/Redban/Duncan Trussell stuff is normally pretty funny.
roshea999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:00 AM   #34
Bluewater34
Is Old

Read this article about the use of music in podcasts that uses several of the podcasts we've talked about in this thread as examples. I enjoyed it a lot.

Also, there's a podcast that premiered last week that I want to recommend called Ear Hustle. It's produced, hosted and talks about the lives of inmates at San Quentin. The first episode is a relatively light hearted one about the importance of your cell-mate. I don't get the impression that they're all going to be that easy going. But it's a fascinating insight into that world. Highly recommended.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:50 PM   #35
Mitch

I've been listening to podcasts more than ever over the past couple months. Here's the ones I enjoy, and I'm curious for any recommendations anyone else has, be it music, politics, sports, self-help, whatever.

My favorites right now-
1. Bulletproof Radio- hosted by Dave Asprey, founder of Bulletpoof Diet and Bulletproof Coffee. He's big into "bio-hacking" and has a lot of interesting guests talking about ways to improve your health, brain, performance, etc. (as an aside, I've been following to some extent the bulletproof diet for the past few weeks and have been losing weight and feeling fantastic).
2. 10% Happier- hosted by Dan Harris, ABC News Anchor who infamously had a panic attack on live TV, which ultimately led him to discover meditation. He talks to people who meditate, about meditation and other related topics (guests range from the Dalai Lama himself to celebrities). Meditation has been an important part of my life for the last couple of years, so I love this one.
3. Pardon My Take- a lot lighter than the first 2, a Barstool Sports podcast that my 19 year old son turned me on to.
4. Starting 9- a new Barstool Sports one, focused on baseball. If you want to hear them talk baseball, and also things such as ass-eating with Christian Yelich, while Dallas Braden occasionally pauses to rip a bong hit, you may like this one.

Some others I occasionally check out-
Fantasy football pods- either the ESPN Matthew Berry one or Pro Footballl Focus Fantasy with Jeff Radcliffe.
Brokedown Podcast- a monthly Dead podcast I recently checked out.
Helping Friendly Podcast- Phish. Have checked out on occasion.

The main reason I wrote this was b/c I was thinking before there must be a good rock music podcast that had a Tom Petty episode this past week, but I'm not aware of any.

If you got any podcasts you love, let us know.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 02:16 PM   #36
morgadt

Steve Hyden's Celebration Rock Podcast did a pretty good tribute to Tom Petty. That podcast has more of a music critic perspective. The Great Albums reposted their episode of "Damn The Torpedos". Both are pretty good.
Old 10-10-2017, 02:37 PM   #37
Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgadt View Post
Steve Hyden's Celebration Rock Podcast did a pretty good tribute to Tom Petty. That podcast has more of a music critic perspective. The Great Albums reposted their episode of "Damn The Torpedos". Both are pretty good.
thanks, I'll check out
Old 10-10-2017, 03:42 PM   #38
Bluewater34
Is Old

I'm not crazy about Sound Opinions, mostly because I think Jim Derogatis is a shit critic, but their most recent episode was a Petty remembrance.

Old 10-10-2017, 05:44 PM   #39
Mitch

Quote:
I'm not crazy about Sound Opinions, mostly because I think Jim Derogatis is a shit critic, but their most recent episode was a Petty remembrance.

Funny you mention that, I ended up listening to that one randomly after my 1st post today, based on a quick google search. It was ok, had some excerpts from an interview with him in '03 which was cool, but pretty much all things I had heard already in the Running Down A Dream doc, etc.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:48 PM   #40
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
Derogatis is a douche
roshea999 is online now   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc