These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2017, 05:13 PM   #21481
NiCK Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
When you want something changed you, you know, usually need to have some ideas. Attitudes like, “I have no idea what to do, we just have to do something!” are exactly why nothing will ever change and gun people laugh at the left on this issue. People are reflexive but apparently don’t care enough to actually look into the matter.
I'm a dude on a DMB message board. Even if I had the answers I wouldn't be in position to put them in place.

I want extensive, EXTENSIVE background checks. I want it to be an absolute pain in the fucking ass to buy a gun. If these idiots want them so badly they should at least be more difficult to buy than fucking Sudafed. Waiting lists, stacks of paperwork, everything. And certainly limit how many you can own. I mean Christ that seems so obvious.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:15 PM   #21482
NiCK Crush

Also, stricter gun control is an idea. It's not very specific, but I think people understand what that means more or less, no?
Old 10-10-2017, 05:17 PM   #21483
NiCK Crush

PROTECT THE 2ND AMENDMENT
Old 10-10-2017, 05:59 PM   #21484
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiCK Crush View Post
I want extensive, EXTENSIVE background checks. I want it to be an absolute pain in the fucking ass to buy a gun. If these idiots want them so badly they should at least be more difficult to buy than fucking Sudafed. Waiting lists, stacks of paperwork, everything. And certainly limit how many you can own. I mean Christ that seems so obvious.

Second amendment can be interpreted to say every citizen has the right to bare arms, it doesn’t say it has to be easy to do so.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:44 PM   #21485
dmb2much40

Seems like Japan has a good system:
[Only registered users can see links.]
Old 10-11-2017, 06:52 PM   #21486
sean52692
Ten steps ahead of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiCK Crush View Post
The self preservation thing just doesn't really fly for me.

Dig up some stats on lives saved because a good civilian had a gun.

I don't doubt that someone has fended off a home intruder with a gun of their own before. But instead of spending money on a gun, training and a conceal carry license you could always get a legitimate security system in your home.

It's sad that in hindsight the only way those people in Vegas could have "self preserved" was to not attend a concert they probably all were looking forward to for months.
Hundreds of millions people have been killed by government regimes in the past 100 years. I bet they wish they had a 2nd Amendment

It's hard to get totally accurate numbers for that because of the inherent issues with the NCVS. According to a 2013 report by the DOJ, from 2007-2011: 235,700 people used a firearm to threaten or attack an offender and 103,000 used a firearm to combat property crimes

yes, it is sad. Evil people are horrible.
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:06 PM   #21487
sean52692
Ten steps ahead of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb2much40 View Post
Seems like Japan has a good system:
Fluff piece. There are so few guns in Japan both legally and illegally so it's hard to use their model as an example. They have a completely different culture and history compared to the United States and they historically have never been a gun heavy country.

Also, don't you see how easy the government could manipulate that process?

And the 2nd Amendment kind of does say that the government shouldn't make it very difficult to buy a gun depending on your interpretation:
Quote:
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:56 PM   #21488
Bluewater34
Is Old

If you take the 2nd from its literal wording, it applies only in the presence of a government-regulated militia. Of course, that definitely doesn't apply anymore, and I'm not saying that that means that the 2nd no longer applies, but it's always seemed to me that if the arms in question aren't for the use of the state militia that that regulation should then fall to the citizens that get the benefit of the Amendment. But that's definitely not how the courts have interpreted that.

Am I the only one who finds the idea that owning a gun, or a thousand guns, is going to stop the government from killing you if that's what they really want to do laughable?
Old 10-12-2017, 05:51 AM   #21489
dmb2much40

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean52692 View Post
Fluff piece. There are so few guns in Japan both legally and illegally so it's hard to use their model as an example. They have a completely different culture and history compared to the United States and they historically have never been a gun heavy country.

Also, don't you see how easy the government could manipulate that process?

And the 2nd Amendment kind of does say that the government shouldn't make it very difficult to buy a gun depending on your interpretation:
it should be harder to get a gun than a drivers license. I know there's always going to be illegal guns. I know if someone is crazy enough they will go to great lengths to do what they're going to do. But it still shouldn't be easy. a single person buying 30+ guns in a year should be setting off alarms somewhere.

I saw stats that said only 22% of the population owns a gun and 3% of the population owns 50% of the guns. So it seems to me like the NRA crowd is well-funded, overly vocal and a bit manipulative themselves.

I support gun rights, but within reason and with more regulation than we have today.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:14 PM   #21490
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
I own a firearm, have my LTC, took multiple classes, and I enjoy going to the range. I have friends who are of similar mind, and a few friends even have 3 or 4 different makes and models of firearms because they like the unique style of firing from each weapon at the range. Some just like to shoot at the range, some do have one or two in a safe at their house because they feel it gives them an added sense of security along with the typical security system installed in their home.

I know from experience that in MA it's quite difficult to get an LTC. Not only do you need to pass the extensive background check which takes a few weeks to complete, but you also have to write a letter of intent to your local police department and then if you've made it that far with no red flags, you have to be interviewed by a Captain of your local police dept, where he makes the final decision on whether or not you're approved.

So when I hear people say it should be more difficult, it's not that cut and dry because some states make it quite difficult, like mine for example.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 02:02 PM   #21491
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

So this is happening:

MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:04 PM   #21492
gweeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
I own a firearm, have my LTC, took multiple classes, and I enjoy going to the range. I have friends who are of similar mind, and a few friends even have 3 or 4 different makes and models of firearms because they like the unique style of firing from each weapon at the range. Some just like to shoot at the range, some do have one or two in a safe at their house because they feel it gives them an added sense of security along with the typical security system installed in their home.

I know from experience that in MA it's quite difficult to get an LTC. Not only do you need to pass the extensive background check which takes a few weeks to complete, but you also have to write a letter of intent to your local police department and then if you've made it that far with no red flags, you have to be interviewed by a Captain of your local police dept, where he makes the final decision on whether or not you're approved.

So when I hear people say it should be more difficult, it's not that cut and dry because some states make it quite difficult, like mine for example.
Thanks for the information. It's good to know.

I wonder if one of the reasons the States has so much gun violence compared to many other countries is the amount of people? I mean, a lot of Canada is uninhabitable, same with Australia and Russia. What about the U.S.? Are you 300+ million taking up almost every inch of your land?
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 03:18 PM   #21493
Fan#41

A lawsuit was bound to happen at some point.

I've been reading of a lot of people ranting and raving about Mandalay Bay not being alarmed by the cases Paddock was bringing up to his room. Vegas hotels host conventions year-round. My company takes part of some of those conventions and reps from companies all over the country and world carry up large cases to their rooms, many of which contain demos of their product that they're displaying, testing, etc... So when people were freaking out about the Hotel not being suspicious, it just meant that those people don't understand that all of those hotels go through that on a daily basis.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:18 PM   #21494
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
We have a ton of land here - much of it is in places people don't want to live, though.
roshea999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:27 PM   #21495
Wildcats82
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

Quote:

I've been reading of a lot of people ranting and raving about Mandalay Bay not being alarmed by the cases Paddock was bringing up to his room. Vegas hotels host conventions year-round. My company takes part of some of those conventions and reps from companies all over the country and world carry up large cases to their rooms, many of which contain demos of their product that they're displaying, testing, etc... So when people were freaking out about the Hotel not being suspicious, it just meant that those people don't understand that all of those hotels go through that on a daily basis.

I’ve worked at hotels for the last 6 years, currently at a major convention hotel. Unless this guy just stacked his guns on a luggage rack out in the open nobody would notice or care. We constantly get people that are staying for one night that have 2 racks worth of stuff. Just travelers.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:25 PM   #21496
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Quote:

Wow.
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:26 PM   #21497
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Quote:

I believe Russia and China have smuggled nukes into the US and they’re just chilling in an apartment somewhere
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:31 AM   #21498
Fan#41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcats82 View Post
I’ve worked at hotels for the last 6 years, currently at a major convention hotel. Unless this guy just stacked his guns on a luggage rack out in the open nobody would notice or care. We constantly get people that are staying for one night that have 2 racks worth of stuff. Just travelers.
Exactly.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:36 AM   #21499
sean52692
Ten steps ahead of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater34 View Post
Am I the only one who finds the idea that owning a gun, or a thousand guns, is going to stop the government from killing you if that's what they really want to do laughable?
Look at the middle east for example. See how governmental regimes fighting against local insurgents can be extremely complicated? We didn't do so well in Iraq. So it really depends on specific circumstances, in some cases it might be laughable, in other cases maybe not.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:01 AM   #21500
gweeps

So I rejoined Facebook after over 5 years. I had deleted my original account.

I don't much care for the layout. But I'll stick with it, probably just use it sparingly. I like Twitter's layout much better. It's simpler.

But I will always love message boards the most. Something about them is close-knit even when there's hundreds or thousands of members.
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc