Gotta love a Harry Potter prequel:

Newest Suicide Squad trailer:

My DMB Almanac: http://dmbalmanac.com/Member.aspx?number=576
RageATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:27 AM   #24062
Bluewater34
Is Old

So, this is what they're calling the new Spider-Man movie:

I'll reserve judgment until I see what they do with the character in CA:CW, but I'm still not sure that they've let that character rest long enough to try to reboot the franchise again.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:48 PM   #24063
homermcclane

I finally saw BvsS today. The whole time I was thinking, "This isn't nearly as bad as everyone says." I was even ready to give Snyder some credit. Then Doomsday showed up and the last 30 minutes happened and it was just flying video game shit, and then I got it.
homermcclane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 02:53 PM   #24064
RageATL
The Dude abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater34 View Post
So, this is what they're calling the new Spider-Man movie:

I'll reserve judgment until I see what they do with the character in CA:CW, but I'm still not sure that they've let that character rest long enough to try to reboot the franchise again.
Wha??? Wow, that's dicey.

I agree with your stance completely...we've had a LOT of Spidey movies jammed up our asses for a while now. I definitely dig what the Russos did with his costume design but I wanna see it for myself before I come to any conclusions.

Old 04-13-2016, 04:18 PM   #24065
Define Dancing

The Dark Tower officially began shooting yesterday
Old 04-13-2016, 06:58 PM   #24066
homermcclane

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageATL View Post
Wha??? Wow, that's dicey.

I agree with your stance completely...we've had a LOT of Spidey movies jammed up our asses for a while now. I definitely dig what the Russos did with his costume design but I wanna see it for myself before I come to any conclusions.
All the previous Spidey movies were a Columbia/Sony affair, not Marvel Studios. Take from that what you will.
Old 04-14-2016, 04:24 AM   #24067
gweeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater34 View Post
Reminds me of Kraft Dinner.
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:30 AM   #24068
RageATL
The Dude abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by homermcclane View Post
All the previous Spidey movies were a Columbia/Sony affair, not Marvel Studios. Take from that what you will.
Yeah true, good call.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:42 AM   #24069
Bluewater34
Is Old

I'm not doubting the quality of it. Iron Man 3 aside, Marvel's track record is pretty hard to argue with. I'm just wondering if starting a third series of Spider Man films in about 15 years is a smart play, and I'd hate to see a character that I like a lot end up getting connected with a failure because of Spidey fatigue.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:11 AM   #24070
JustinC

I think the fatigue talk is silly.. People will go see a movie if it's good and now that it's a Marvel ran Spider-Man it should be good.

It's also pretty clear given that he is in Civil War that we won't be going through another origin movie. That's pretty significant and will have more people interested because it won't be "oh another Spider-Man reboot origin movie, meh"
JustinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:13 AM   #24071
JustinC

Also i'm sure some have seen it but i'll just post it here

JustinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:27 AM   #24072
somf4eva

Missed this. Thanks
somf4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:37 PM   #24073
K270
Kan Pai

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinC View Post
Also i'm sure some have seen it but i'll just post it here

Knew this was out just never watched it until now. Looks kind of trippy!
Old 04-20-2016, 03:26 PM   #24074
Define Dancing

Midnight Special was excellent. Acting was great all the way around, and I loved the pacing and slow build up of the film. There was something quite magical about the movie. It's too bad the film won't be seen by most people because of the complete lack of marketing and fucked up release strategy. If this is playing near you, please go see it while you can.

Jeff Nichols is quite a director, can't wait for his second film of the year, "Loving", which comes out in October.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:32 PM   #24075
RageATL
The Dude abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Define Dancing View Post
Midnight Special was excellent. Acting was great all the way around, and I loved the pacing and slow build up of the film. There was something quite magical about the movie. It's too bad the film won't be seen by most people because of the complete lack of marketing and fucked up release strategy. If this is playing near you, please go see it while you can.

Jeff Nichols is quite a director, can't wait for his second film of the year, "Loving", which comes out in October.
I've read good things about it, thanks for the recommendation.

Old 04-20-2016, 03:37 PM   #24076
Define Dancing

Also just re-watched The Matrix for the first time in over a decade. It holds up surprisingly well, VFX still look pretty good after all these years. And I still find the basic concept of the film to be quite intriguing.

Couldn't help thinking about Columbine while watching the lobby shoot out scene though. I'm not saying the two are causally linked in reality, but portrayal in the media at the time will always impact the perception of the film, for better or worse.
Old 04-20-2016, 04:08 PM   #24077
RageATL
The Dude abides

Quote:
Also just re-watched The Matrix for the first time in over a decade. It holds up surprisingly well, VFX still look pretty good after all these years. And I still find the basic concept of the film to be quite intriguing.

Couldn't help thinking about Columbine while watching the lobby shoot out scene though. I'm not saying the two are causally linked in reality, but portrayal in the media at the time will always impact the perception of the film, for better or worse.
That was such a demo-worthy scene back in the early days of DVD and home theater.

Old 04-20-2016, 08:05 PM   #24078
homermcclane

Quote:

I found it pretty dull. The acting was great, but it just plodded along and then there was nothing all that special about the resolution. I realize I'm in the minority here, but I wasn't wowed by it. I felt the same way about Mud, although I loved Take Shelter.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:28 PM   #24079
Define Dancing

Quote:
Originally Posted by homermcclane View Post
I found it pretty dull. The acting was great, but it just plodded along and then there was nothing all that special about the resolution. I realize I'm in the minority here, but I wasn't wowed by it. I felt the same way about Mud, although I loved Take Shelter.
I can definitely see where you're coming from. One review I read touched on your sentiments and said Nichols "wrote checks he couldn't quite cash" and I agree to a certain extent, but it all depends on your expectations. I wouldn't say I was wowed by the film, but I enjoyed the cinematic experience, mainly because it had a nostalgic feel to it (reminded me of Close Encounters), and I liked the tone of the movie.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:05 PM   #24080
gweeps

Mud also hearkened back to the great coming-of-age movies of the 1980s.

Take Shelter was simply fantastic. Had a gritty apocalyptic feel. I love Jessica Chastain, too.

Michael Shannon is a great actor. I just heard a funny interview with him on Opie & Anthony. From years ago, of course. But it's great. Guy is witty.

Shannon was also good in Premium Rush. Saw that recently.

His bit part on Before the Devil Knows You're Dead is unnerving. He plays unsettled people so well.

Looking forward to Midnight Special. Nicols is on a roll as far as I'm concerned.

And if you haven't watched his first film, Shotgun Stories, also starring Michael Shannon, it's worthwhile.
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc