These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2018, 01:54 PM   #41
Bluewater34
Is Old
 
Bluewater34's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 14,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by typsitch View Post
I see this as another example of Dave just telling a literal story over some music, don't really see a great "song" here.
So story songs arenít songs?
__________________
Hi.
Bluewater34 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 03:36 PM   #42
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things
 
Jayes's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 9,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by typsitch View Post
I see this as another example of Dave just telling a literal story over some music, don't really see a great "song" here.


Let’s see a list of 5 songs you DO like
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 04:09 PM   #43
Bigsho
 
Bigsho's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cuyahoga Falls, OH
Posts: 744
Dave recorded this song at Ante Up Audio in Cleveland back in 2007. They have the piano sheet music with lyrics and a record in a plaque on the wall. Wonder how it's sounds.
__________________
Blossom- '07, '08, '09, '10, '12, '13, '14,'15, '16
Columbus- '16
PNC Park- '10
Lakeside (all 3 nights) - '11
Deer Creek N2- '12
Burgettstown N2- '12
Bigsho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 10:34 PM   #44
typsitch
setlist communist by necessity
 
typsitch's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayes View Post
Letís see a list of 5 songs you DO like
Assuming you mean post-2004? Sure

Why I Am, Shotgun, Idea of You, Hands of God, Belly Belly Nice, Rooftop
typsitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 12:43 AM   #45
Caveat Emperor
The Flyin' Lions
 
Caveat Emperor's Avatar
 
Disc Golf Champion! Flash Poker Champion! Super Mario Flash HV Champion! Whammy Champion!
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Great Midwest
Posts: 6,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by typsitch View Post
Assuming you mean post-2004? Sure

Why I Am, Shotgun, Idea of You, Hands of God, Belly Belly Nice, Rooftop
This is surprising.
__________________
- Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
What's this about 'extended delay?' Hardened boarders know TDC was only down for two days: the day it went down, and the day it went back up.
Caveat Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 01:30 AM   #46
sean52692
You failed this band
 
sean52692's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 16,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
People fucking hated this song when it debuted on tour.

Energy killer.

Too soft.

Dave on Piano = Out of My Hands = TRIGGERED!
Totally right, people hated ADSR - and I think a lot of that was because it was an opener. I remember this being considered the "tip of the iceberg" of new tunes DMB had recently written along with #27 and Corn Bread. I always had a soft spot for it because it was dark and allowed some room for solos - Dave, Roi, & Tim in the '08 version.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by That's it, Sir. View Post
This is going to be anti-BTCS like a MS paint version of Starry Night.
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 07:53 AM   #47
Monk
Moore Soul
 
Monk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Boston
Posts: 7,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean52692 View Post
Totally right, people hated ADSR - and I think a lot of that was because it was an opener. I remember this being considered the "tip of the iceberg" of new tunes DMB had recently written along with #27 and Corn Bread. I always had a soft spot for it because it was dark and allowed some room for solos - Dave, Roi, & Tim in the '08 version.

Didn’t it open every night at the Gorge? Wouldn’t matter for most bands, but for a band with a very active online fan base, it doesn’t go over so well (here).
__________________
UN-BAN SMITTAY! VIVA LA REVOLUCION! #OccupyTDC #Smittay

http://dmbalmanac.com/Member.aspx?number=181

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftMacho View Post
i get the feeling about 3% of the people in this thread have ever been laid
Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 11:39 AM   #48
sean52692
You failed this band
 
sean52692's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 16,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
Didnít it open every night at the Gorge? Wouldnít matter for most bands, but for a band with a very active online fan base, it doesnít go over so well (here).
ADSR opened two nights but was played at all three shows.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by That's it, Sir. View Post
This is going to be anti-BTCS like a MS paint version of Starry Night.
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 05:14 PM   #49
Monk
Moore Soul
 
Monk's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Boston
Posts: 7,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean52692 View Post
ADSR opened two nights but was played at all three shows.

That’s right, thanks. Still, played N1 and then opening the next 2 nights at a 3 night Stand is bizarre.
__________________
UN-BAN SMITTAY! VIVA LA REVOLUCION! #OccupyTDC #Smittay

http://dmbalmanac.com/Member.aspx?number=181

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftMacho View Post
i get the feeling about 3% of the people in this thread have ever been laid
Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 05:28 PM   #50
greykitkat36
 
greykitkat36's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 9,200
ADSR is a terrible opener, as was Sweet when they were doing that. Dave had this obsession with "easing" into shows the past few years, where they start off super mellow while "people shuffle in, go to the bathroom and get drinks" and then hit them later. That's a bad mentality imo.

Come out swinging, or if you want to "warm up" do what they used to do with OSW intros or Heartbeat..a nice cool, jazzy improv thing. The acoustic/mellow opener is just awful. I'd take a hard hitting DDTW opener every night over crap like the above mentioned.
__________________
S'cuse me. (spits out Ricola) Its just so I know where it is, so I can get it after. Can't waste it, Ricola's delicious."-- DJM
greykitkat36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 06:12 PM   #51
Jack
Grand Army of Letters
 
Jack's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Stage Roi
Posts: 21,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
ADSR is a terrible opener, as was Sweet when they were doing that. Dave had this obsession with "easing" into shows the past few years, where they start off super mellow while "people shuffle in, go to the bathroom and get drinks" and then hit them later. That's a bad mentality imo.

Come out swinging, or if you want to "warm up" do what they used to do with OSW intros or Heartbeat..a nice cool, jazzy improv thing. The acoustic/mellow opener is just awful. I'd take a hard hitting DDTW opener every night over crap like the above mentioned.
A nice cool jazzy thing is exactly what ADSR is...

And he only started opening with Sweet to remind Stefan who was boss.
__________________
Aims To Try
jack@thesedayscontinue.org

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 06:50 PM   #52
gweeps
 
gweeps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Kingston ON, Canada
Posts: 23,447
Maybe with this Buddy Strong guy, we'll see A Dream So Real return?
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 06:52 PM   #53
bassplayer22
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 2,046
Typical Dave. Keeps forcing piano songs on the fans and one of the only ones people actually want to hear he completely drops.
bassplayer22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 07:57 PM   #54
jsandr
tryin' to date, havin' to cook
 
jsandr's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Berkeley, California
Posts: 2,719
Thats a cool version of ADSR. Missed that somehow... would be cool to hear jeff and tim trade off a few bars on the solo.
__________________
you don't impress me and I find you slightly terrifying.
-JON
jsandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:01 PM   #55
greykitkat36
 
greykitkat36's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 9,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
A nice cool jazzy thing is exactly what ADSR is...

And he only started opening with Sweet to remind Stefan who was boss.
Thatís not what I mean. I mean like heartbeat intro or OSW instrumental intro. Very different from ADSR which is an actual song. Has no business opening shows. Iím glad they tried it, but songs like that just arenít good live,
__________________
S'cuse me. (spits out Ricola) Its just so I know where it is, so I can get it after. Can't waste it, Ricola's delicious."-- DJM
greykitkat36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:40 PM   #56
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul
 
MaLaKaS's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lost Somewhere In Jersey
Posts: 18,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiebrod View Post
For some reason we can't have nice things.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 02:28 PM   #57
batleon
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: MA by way of RI
Posts: 14,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
People fucking hated this song when it debuted on tour.

Energy killer.

Too soft.

Dave on Piano = Out of My Hands = TRIGGERED!
Exactly, I always remember a lot of hate for this when it came out, but I've liked it from jump, feel lucky to have even caught it live at one point considering it left as quickly as it came...
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
LET THE ALMANAC PICK SONGS / LIVE TRAX.
batleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 02:39 PM   #58
celluloid hero
 
celluloid hero's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 9,425
I loved a Dream So Real as an opener. The audience was attentive because the band just came out, and it usually built anticipation into Two Step which made the crowd explode. Sort of like when I figured out edging. I don't see any difference opening with A Dream So Real > Two Step than with Seek Up or One Sweet World with the instrumental intro. calm, serene music for a few minutes that then crescendos to a point where it pays off for the audience.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 02:40 PM   #59
deedisdone81
Bite My Dick Motherfucker!
 
deedisdone81's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Saint Louis, MO
Posts: 17,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by soups View Post

What happened?
You think this is good music, I think it's meh. Neither of us are right or wrong, but I would have liked to see what they would have done to this in studio.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRECTOR DEAN KARR View Post
I've been known to pimp a few ho's
deedisdone81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 05:33 PM   #60
Christopher James
 
Christopher James's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 7,092
That SPAC show was nothing short of magical
__________________
Making up for lost time.
Christopher James is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:09 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2006 thesedayscontinue.org

Page generated in 0.08422 seconds with 16 queries