These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: On a scale of 1-10, how excited are you for the new album?
1 5 5.32%
2 2 2.13%
3 5 5.32%
4 6 6.38%
5 12 12.77%
6 23 24.47%
7 16 17.02%
8 11 11.70%
9 9 9.57%
10 5 5.32%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 09:30 AM   #81
3beamsoflight6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBTex10101 View Post
That's a fair response...I guess. I'm not saying we should all be overly enthusiastic about everything they do, but if you can't muster up any excitement for some new music we literally know nothing about, it might be time to move on.
. Better than I said it.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:33 AM   #82
3beamsoflight6

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedisdone81 View Post
I'm at a 5. Batson's involvement has dropped it a lot for me.
For me, dropped expectations? Sure. Excitement? Gimme this shit as soon as possible. I can’t fucking wait.

I think there is a clear line between these two thoughts.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:45 AM   #83
mario

Quote:
That's a fair response...I guess. I'm not saying we should all be overly enthusiastic about everything they do, but if you can't muster up any excitement for some new music we literally know nothing about, it might be time to move on.
I think it's generally known I'm from Philadelphia. I like baseball. The Phillies have been terrible for the last three years. I'm still a Phillies fan and still followed them and turned the game on even when they were like 47-83 in August.

I am a DMB fan. There was a time they were a great band. Now they are pretty terrible and I wish they could fire a GM and turn things around. But I still follow the Band even though I currently think they are pretty terrible.

Old 04-26-2018, 09:45 AM   #84
sean52692
You failed this band

I think it's fair to be all across the 1-10 spectrum when it comes to evaluating excitement for the new record.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:48 AM   #85
mja271

I think there are a lot of fans who loved the band and don't have that same passion for them anymore but still will follow them and keep in the loop without really being as invested in their new output. That's kind of where I am. I haven't been an avid DMB listener in 4-5 years but I like the people here and have been posting for a long time so I hang around by habit.

I'm certainly interested to see what the album holds but not really that excited about it. For me personally, expectations do play into the excitement. They haven't put out an album I've loved in 20 years. I find it hard to get too excited. But I don't begrudge anybody who is pumped about it at all. I think both viewpoints make sense
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:50 AM   #86
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man

Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

If I get three songs out of (maybe) 11 that I enjoy, I’ll be pleased.
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
Old 04-26-2018, 09:53 AM   #87
sean52692
You failed this band

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX View Post
If I get three songs out of (maybe) 11 that I enjoy, I’ll be pleased.
So you'd be a 2.7.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:03 AM   #88
Thor2531
I Fucked NAKEDdmbLauren

I get a text from my brother yesterday with the artwork and he asking how "excited" I am for the new album. He was pumped for me. I just responded with a "we'll see".

Like most of you I have concerns based on the material we've heard, the suspect cohesiveness and questionable choice in production. Now we hear whispers of them scaling back on the amount of material and it just really dampers any excitement I may have. This band has fooled me too many times before.

Maybe I'm just allowing so-called "insiders" to sway my opinion, but the lack of information out of band/management is pretty bad. I give my excitement a 3 out of 10. I'm here on a message board posting so obviously I care. There is one thing other than this album that is "12 years in the making" and that's DMB's ability to underwhelm when it matters most.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:05 AM   #89
mjf
bkdkdkddbkdkdkddbkdkdkdd

Quote:
Pretty sure if you voted less than a 4 you wouldn't (or shouldn't) even be here.
Eh, I disagree. The amount of pure shit they’ve put out since everyday doesn’t change how much I enjoy the old material.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:40 PM   #90
DMBTex10101
doing the hippo thing

It's a matter of perspective. For instance...

To me a rating of 1 or 2 would mean that you are completely indifferent to the album and probably won't even bother listening to it. These are the people that see or hear an ad for the new album or read the album release news and likely forget about it minutes afterwards. Hence my comment about these people likely not being here.

A 4 or 5 would be a casual fan that will likely remember the album is coming out and will get around to purchasing and/or listening to it eventually.

I highly suspect most people here that claim they are not excited for the album will still purchase or download a copy and listen to it immediately as soon as it becomes available. To be that in tune with the situation shows some form of excitement. Maybe it's just excitement to prove how right you are about it sucking but it's still something.

Now if someone really doesn't plan to jump on it as soon as it becomes available, I'll believe you are seriously not excited at all. But again, I don't think anyone here falls in that boat.

That's the problem with these 1-10 scales though, everyone interprets them differently. I think some feel their "excitement" is less because they have low expectations. But at the end of the day, when it becomes available, most everyone here will be blasting it in their earholes as soon as possible, for better or for worse.

We could argue all day, but this is how I view it.

Archives in Cowtown
Old 04-26-2018, 11:41 PM   #91
Bluewater34
Is Old

Well, ok. I guess if the measure is whether we’re going to listen to it, then I’m a 10.

But seriously, it’s definitely a sliding scale, but yeah, one of my favorite bands puts out an album I’m going to listen to it, even if everything I know about it going in is not exciting to me. But there’s a difference between curiosity and excitement.

But yeah, I think our disagreement is basically down to perspective.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:39 AM   #92
DMBTex10101
doing the hippo thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater34 View Post
Well, ok. I guess if the measure is whether we’re going to listen to it, then I’m a 10.

But seriously, it’s definitely a sliding scale, but yeah, one of my favorite bands puts out an album I’m going to listen to it, even if everything I know about it going in is not exciting to me. But there’s a difference between curiosity and excitement.

But yeah, I think our disagreement is basically down to perspective.

That all being said, I have similar feelings as others that this could be the last studio effort we get. So I personally plan to enjoy it to the fullest. Hopefully Baston’s involvement doesn’t make that too difficult.

Archives in Cowtown
Old 04-27-2018, 10:00 AM   #93
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man

Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

I’m going to listen, of course, but my “2” is because I think it’s going to be bad.
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
Old 04-27-2018, 10:50 AM   #94
mario

Quote:
It's a matter of perspective. For instance...

To me a rating of 1 or 2 would mean that you are completely indifferent to the album and probably won't even bother listening to it. These are the people that see or hear an ad for the new album or read the album release news and likely forget about it minutes afterwards. Hence my comment about these people likely not being here.

A 4 or 5 would be a casual fan that will likely remember the album is coming out and will get around to purchasing and/or listening to it eventually.

I highly suspect most people here that claim they are not excited for the album will still purchase or download a copy and listen to it immediately as soon as it becomes available. To be that in tune with the situation shows some form of excitement. Maybe it's just excitement to prove how right you are about it sucking but it's still something.

Now if someone really doesn't plan to jump on it as soon as it becomes available, I'll believe you are seriously not excited at all. But again, I don't think anyone here falls in that boat.

That's the problem with these 1-10 scales though, everyone interprets them differently. I think some feel their "excitement" is less because they have low expectations. But at the end of the day, when it becomes available, most everyone here will be blasting it in their earholes as soon as possible, for better or for worse.

We could argue all day, but this is how I view it.
I'm going to go back to my previous analogy:

To me, excitement is watching a terrible team and rooting for them to win the game.

I would watch a Phillies game to see how individual players are developing, or just because I like baseball (like watching a game with teams you don't root for).

I'll listen to the album because I follow DMB. I'll listen to the album because I like music. I listen to lots of albums that I don't like and am not sure I'll like, because that's how you discover new music.

But I'll probably put it on in the background while I'm working or cooking dinner or something. I won't be sitting down and studying it (especially with Batson producing, it won't be worth studying the intricacies of the music). That's how I measure excitement.

Old 04-27-2018, 11:14 AM   #95
greykitkat36

We’re all dying to listen to it, that’s a given. We wouldn’t be here otherwise. And it’s their first release in 6 years, so of course we are excited to hear some new studio stuff. That doesn’t mean we aren’t cautious or aware of past experience. So yeah I can’t wait to hear it, but That doesn’t mean I’m not skeptical
Old 04-27-2018, 11:18 AM   #96
mjf
bkdkdkddbkdkdkddbkdkdkdd

This is the first DMB album I can't think of anything to be excited about for. I was excited for SU after the amazing 2004 tour. I was excited for BW because of the return of Tim. And AFTW for Lillywhite.

Baston/Cavallo haven't done anything in the studio with the band I revisit. I definitely will listen to it though. I have not heard most of the new songs, except for Be Yourself and black and bluebird.... that helps actually knowing most of this will be fresh to me.
Old 04-27-2018, 01:00 PM   #97
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf View Post
This is the first DMB album I can't think of anything to be excited about for. I was excited for SU after the amazing 2004 tour. I was excited for BW because of the return of Tim. And AFTW for Lillywhite.

Baston/Cavallo haven't done anything in the studio with the band I revisit. I definitely will listen to it though. I have not heard most of the new songs, except for Be Yourself and black and bluebird.... that helps actually knowing most of this will be fresh to me.
How’d you avoid Samurai Cop? Already been driven into the ground. Surprised. But you hit it 100%. I feel exactly the same way. Batson and Cavallo track record with DMB is average to below average at best. Maybe Alagia and Evans smacked some sense into them about certain things. I do like that Alagia was involved, If anyone knows how to mix this band and make them sound like DMB it’d be him.
Old 04-27-2018, 01:07 PM   #98
mjf
bkdkdkddbkdkdkddbkdkdkdd

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
How’d you avoid Samurai Cop? Already been driven into the ground. Surprised. But you hit it 100%. I feel exactly the same way. Batson and Cavallo track record with DMB is average to below average at best. Maybe Alagia and Evans smacked some sense into them about certain things. I do like that Alagia was involved, If anyone knows how to mix this band and make them sound like DMB it’d be him.
I took about a year off from the forum, and haven't been listening to any recent shows. I forgot to mention though, I did hear Do You Remember and that one I really liked

I don't know what extent Alagia was involved in the other albums for it to get me excited. I guess we shall see. The rumor of the lunch ladies being on this thing just makes me even less excited, despite their appearance on BTCS being positive
Old 04-27-2018, 01:17 PM   #99
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf View Post
I took about a year off from the forum, and haven't been listening to any recent shows. I forgot to mention though, I did hear Do You Remember and that one I really liked

I don't know what extent Alagia was involved in the other albums for it to get me excited. I guess we shall see. The rumor of the lunch ladies being on this thing just makes me even less excited, despite their appearance on BTCS being positive
Alagia was involved in putting together R2T and he’s also mixed a huge amount of DMBs live releases over the years including RR 95 (which is still regarded as one of the best mixed live shows they have), and many others. He knows what the band sounds like. So Im actually not worried about the album “sounding” good, I think it will. I’m more worried about the songs they choose to put on there. The writing is very suspect on many of the tunes that could make it.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:21 PM   #100
Monk
Moore Soul

I don’t know why some people around here can’t wrap their head around why other people aren’t all that excited about this release. Maybe if I were still in college, chasing songs, and following the band around the country, I would be, but DMB just isn’t the priority in my life that it once was. Their decline in quality writing and live aspects are definitely part of that. Batson doesn’t excite me. The new batch of songs doesn’t excite me. Samurai Cop is probably the only tune I really enjoy and am excited about because dad rock.

My son is growing up into an amazing human being and most of my energy outside of work is on him. I’m excited to see him grow up. We’re moving into a new house in a few months. I’m excited about that. I have a few close buddies that are getting married in the near future. I’m excited for their weddings. I’m going to SPAC this year. I’m excited to see good friends at what has become a tradition for us. Forgive me if new DMB albums don’t excite me.

I honesty don’t spend a lot of time on the boards much anymore (I don’t have time and there aren’t many new topics to discuss that interest me). There’s not a lot of info coming from the DMB camp and I’m at least interested (different than excitement) where the band goes without Boyd, so I’m willing to pop on every now and then if I have a quiet moment to read.

I was excited for whatever the Lillywhite Sessions would have been. I was disappointed in Everyday. I was excited when DMB returned to those songs and released Busted Stuff, but was disappointed in comparison to the unfinished, but superior Lillywhite Sessions (BS is different in hindsight, given that so much crap has been released since). I was excited for Stand Up, only to be sorely disappointed in more scrapped material for more crap. I was excited for Big Whiskey, which was a step in the right direction. I was excited about AFTW and the return to Lillywhite. The last two albums, regardless of opinion on individual songs, the band put the effort in. I appreciate that, but they’re just a different band than they used to be. I’m different, too and so is my relationship with my favorite band. I’m not the optimistic DMB fan I once was. I’ll be the first to admit that, but having little excitement for this next album is completely reasonable and it doesn’t have to take away from anyone that is excited about it. It’s just one person’s perspective.

http://dmbalmanac.com/Member.aspx?number=181

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftMacho View Post
i get the feeling about 3% of the people in this thread have ever been laid
Closed Thread

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc