These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2018, 10:04 PM   #121
jahlive

Haven’t posted anything in a really long time. This is an unfortunate development and certainly in my mind marks an end to DMB. Was nice to see the guys pull together after they lost Leroi .... this is too much. Yes his playing suffered in recent years but Boyd and Roi were The DMB’s sound. Those of you so quick to start naming replacements I don’t think grasp how significant this is. Additionally-I am disappointed in Dave, Stefan, and Carter - for years they watched this guy struggle - they should have given him an ultimatum long ago before it ever came to this. I guess the DMB machine was more important. This summer tour will be a dud or won’t even happen. I’m not sure I even believe there is an album. Dave lost his direction awhile back and has been going through the motions for a long time. When a lot of people depend on you for a livelihood it probably is tough to stay focused. Sad thing - they were a great band. Roi must be bummed watching from afar.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:05 PM   #122
dmb2much40

If the accusations are true, well then these are the consequences. But it's still incredibly sad that this band has now lost its violin and sax players, both a big part of their unique sound. If they weren't already, they are a shell of their former selves now.

Jeff was different because he had guested so many times in the past. There's no history of a violin guest. This is terrible timing with an album and a tour coming.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:05 PM   #123
CRUSHsoccer15

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
He just played with bob weir last week.
Jumping a bit to conclusions, but this (paired with playing a bunch of shows last year), steers me towards this being a #MeToo thing.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:06 PM   #124
bsan83
4, 3, 2, 1....

Not sure if I’d rather see them switch things up arrangement wise and go sans-violin or bring in a replacement. The former might be more interesting, potentially.
bsan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:08 PM   #125
CRUSHsoccer15

Man, it'll never happen, but we're one step closer to a Dave/Tim/Carter/Stefan/Jeff line up.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:09 PM   #126
timh.
tasty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb1981 View Post
Would really love to know... I think it's more possible that one might think. This very well could be a last minute thing
i dont think they knew either...

i think the recording of an album is finished and that everyone assumed it would be a standard promotion tour and that something transpired after the marketing wheels began turning on the promotion of the tour
i timh.
and you can sig me on that.
timh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:09 PM   #127
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsan83 View Post
Not sure if Iíd rather see them switch things up arrangement wise and go sans-violin or bring in a replacement. The former might be more interesting, potentially.
Bringing is a replacement is definitely more interesting. It's also incredibly sad. If the band hadn't been named Dave Matthews Band, I'd call for a name change.
dmb1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:10 PM   #128
mario

So there's only two possibilities here right? Either

1) Boyd just decided this on his own in the last couple days, or

2) Coran kept it under wraps until after today's ticket sales to bait and switch the fans.

Equally plausible in my opinion.

mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:10 PM   #129
Tomacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahlive View Post
Havenít posted anything in a really long time. This is an unfortunate development and certainly in my mind marks an end to DMB. Was nice to see the guys pull together after they lost Leroi .... this is too much. Yes his playing suffered in recent years but Boyd and Roi were The DMBís sound. Those of you so quick to start naming replacements I donít think grasp how significant this is. Additionally-I am disappointed in Dave, Stefan, and Carter - for years they watched this guy struggle - they should have given him an ultimatum long ago before it ever came to this. I guess the DMB machine was more important. This summer tour will be a dud or wonít even happen. Iím not sure I even believe there is an album. Dave lost his direction awhile back and has been going through the motions for a long time. When a lot of people depend on you for a livelihood it probably is tough to stay focused. Sad thing - they were a great band. Roi must be bummed watching from afar.
I agree with your sentiments in a sense. If losing Roi wasn't the end of DMB as we know it, then this certainly is. The violin aspect is integral to their unique sound, completely.
That being said, I don't agree with the second half of your statement, regarding being disappointed in the rest of the band. There are numerous factors here that I place squarely in Boyd's hands. Since 2012 there have been a lot of signs that Boyd is emotionally/mentally having issues. Since 2014, there have been serious signs of his physicality deteriorating - dropping bows, losing muscle mass, etc. And last fall, there were even sexual accusations. It all adds up. And has nothing to do with Dave, Carter and Stefan. There's only so much they can help him with. And if all of that isn't even a factor, and it is his genuine decision, as his tweet suggests, then that's his own choice, so why blame the others? That's life. All good things come to an end sometime.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:10 PM   #130
Monk
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater34 View Post
There’s no DMB song that absolutely needs a violin anymore. He’s basically been absent/useless for years. The band could easily fill his parts by splitting them between Tim, Jeff and, unfortunately, Rashawn. It’ll be different, sometimes very different, but not off the charts. If they do bring in a new musician, that’s great, almost definitely an improvement (keys would be a great way to fill that space IMO), but they have enough musicians up there already to make it work.

QFT

http://dmbalmanac.com/Member.aspx?number=181

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftMacho View Post
i get the feeling about 3% of the people in this thread have ever been laid
Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:11 PM   #131
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man

Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

I’m interested/terrified to see the #DMBFAMILY takes on this.
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:11 PM   #132
CRUSHsoccer15

Boyd being there or not being there isn't affecting ticket sales.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:13 PM   #133
mikelhu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post

2) Coran kept it under wraps until after today's ticket sales to bait and switch the fans.

It's not #1.

And No idea if it had anything to do w tickets.
mikelhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:13 PM   #134
timh.
tasty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
I agree with your sentiments in a sense. If losing Roi wasn't the end of DMB as we know it, then this certainly is. The violin aspect is integral to their unique sound, completely.
That being said, I don't agree with the second half of your statement, regarding being disappointed in the rest of the band. There are numerous factors here that I place squarely in Boyd's hands. Since 2012 there have been a lot of signs that Boyd is emotionally/mentally having issues. Since 2014, there have been serious signs of his physicality deteriorating - dropping bows, losing muscle mass, etc. And last fall, there were even sexual accusations. It all adds up. And has nothing to do with Dave, Carter and Stefan. There's only so much they can help him with. And if all of that isn't even a factor, and it is his genuine decision, as his tweet suggests, then that's his own choice, so why blame the others? That's life. All good things come to an end sometime.
i'll say, intro on warehouse (comes immediately to mind) will sound noticeably different without that sawing on the violin... not that it has been particularly GOOD lately... but... thats one that pops in my mind that the first time we hear it without a violin we'll kind of think "huh... that's different"
i timh.
and you can sig me on that.
timh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:13 PM   #135
Bluewater34
Is Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsan83 View Post
Not sure if Iíd rather see them switch things up arrangement wise and go sans-violin or bring in a replacement. The former might be more interesting, potentially.
Honestly, either way this year is going to be different, and that alone is a good thing. Maybe itíll work, maybe it wonít, but itíll force them to at least think about their music again, and thatís exciting to me.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:14 PM   #136
Tomacco

Personally, the best way to counterbalance this loss would be to bring in another fringe member of the DMB family. Either Bela or Butch. I would excitedly go to a show sans Boyd if either of them were filling in.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:14 PM   #137
Wildcats82
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

well I got to see a show with no Sax, maybe I'll get to see a show with no violin.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:16 PM   #138
Minarets
so damn interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post

I don’t look at losing Boyd as bait and switch. Dave or Carter gets pulled, yes, but not Boyd. It’s sentimental of course, but I’m sure most people at the concerts are like the “aww the violin dude isn’t playing tonight”
Old 02-02-2018, 10:17 PM   #139
mario

What on earth makes you think Bela wants to join this debacle?

Besides it would sound terrible... Acoustic guitar, electric guitar, and banjo?

mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:17 PM   #140
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man

Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelhu View Post
It's not #1.

And No idea if it had anything to do w tickets.

Exactly how much of this story do you know?
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc