These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2016, 09:21 AM   #121
JustinC
 
JustinC's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
but with one or two rarities (Typical/Minarets/Recently)
Based on the last 2 years those being played wouldn't be considered rarities
JustinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:07 AM   #122
JustinC
 
JustinC's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,138
If you go into this expecting that the band practiced for 4-5 days before the show while coming up with the setlist during the rehearsals because this is their 25th anniv. show, you're going to be disappointed.

What actually is gonna be the case is the band will get together probably Thursday and Dave will say "Hey I was thinking we should bring back [insert song]". They'll then go over that song a little bit, call it a day/night. On Friday they'll do their usual tech rehearsal. Saturday they'll go over the song again and then maybe a couple of other songs.. Dave will then go write the setlist which will be probably an ok set but nothing resembling what a 25th anniv show should look like.

Why? Because at no point when the band is practicing will Dave be thinking "25th anniv show". They only time it will be on his mind is when one of the crew mentions it to him on Saturday after he has written the setlist.
JustinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:14 AM   #123
Tomacco
 
Tomacco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 21,840
I can imagine him also writing a career-spanning setlist that covers all 25 years. But that would basically just be a typical greatest hit set, so nothing unusual. They should just play UTTAD top to bottom. The only song off it that hasn't been played in recent years is #34, so it's not like it would tale much practice.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:23 AM   #124
Josh.0
 
Josh.0's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 10,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Yeah, Josh doesn't understand parenting.
That's really all that needs to be said. And more than likely it'll always be true.
__________________
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by K270 View Post
Just so you know, B.B.C. stands for Bitch Be Cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
You know what else it stands for though, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBeam41 View Post
I cant wait for him to google that
30 minutes later

Quote:
Originally Posted by K270 View Post
You guys are sick.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:26 AM   #125
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man
 
ThememanXX's Avatar
 
Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Mountain Top, PA
Posts: 28,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinC View Post
"Hey I was thinking we should bring back [insert backup singers]."
fixed
__________________
-Jason
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddySpence View Post
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:30 AM   #126
SomeDevil17
 
SomeDevil17's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinC View Post
If you go into this expecting that the band practiced for 4-5 days before the show while coming up with the setlist during the rehearsals because this is their 25th anniv. show, you're going to be disappointed.

What actually is gonna be the case is the band will get together probably Thursday and Dave will say "Hey I was thinking we should bring back [insert song]". They'll then go over that song a little bit, call it a day/night. On Friday they'll do their usual tech rehearsal. Saturday they'll go over the song again and then maybe a couple of other songs.. Dave will then go write the setlist which will be probably an ok set but nothing resembling what a 25th anniv show should look like.

Why? Because at no point when the band is practicing will Dave be thinking "25th anniv show". They only time it will be on his mind is when one of the crew mentions it to him on Saturday after he has written the setlist.
Yep this exactly. Really what I am expecting for this whole tour.
SomeDevil17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:37 AM   #127
Fan#41
 
Homers Beer Run Champion!
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somerville, MA
Posts: 31,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinC View Post
If you go into this expecting that the band practiced for 4-5 days before the show while coming up with the setlist during the rehearsals because this is their 25th anniv. show, you're going to be disappointed.

What actually is gonna be the case is the band will get together probably Thursday and Dave will say "Hey I was thinking we should bring back [insert song]". They'll then go over that song a little bit, call it a day/night. On Friday they'll do their usual tech rehearsal. Saturday they'll go over the song again and then maybe a couple of other songs.. Dave will then go write the setlist which will be probably an ok set but nothing resembling what a 25th anniv show should look like.

Why? Because at no point when the band is practicing will Dave be thinking "25th anniv show". They only time it will be on his mind is when one of the crew mentions it to him on Saturday after he has written the setlist.

I do agree with most of this, but Dave is most certainly aware. Just because setlist creation and other things seem casual doesn't mean he's so distant from the whole process that he has no clue where they are.
__________________
Variety of emotion is good...it just makes the music different colors. - LeRoi Moore
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:41 AM   #128
greykitkat36
 
greykitkat36's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 9,546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
I do agree with most of this, but Dave is most certainly aware. Just because setlist creation and other things seem casual doesn't mean he's so distant from the whole process that he has no clue where they are.
Yup. This show was added after the fact, too. His vocal coach tweeted out about liberation songs, etc. I wouldn't be super negative about what the set will look like. We know the days are gone of truly amazing sets because Dave will not write a set that doesn't include songs from the last 5-6 years. That being said, there's no reason why it can't be a nicely balanced set spanning the years of their career, with hopefully a bust out or two, but I won't even expect that.
__________________
S'cuse me. (spits out Ricola) Its just so I know where it is, so I can get it after. Can't waste it, Ricola's delicious."-- DJM
greykitkat36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:48 AM   #129
greykitkat36
 
greykitkat36's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 9,546
And while writing a mock set is overdone, I tried to make one up keeping the idea of "spanning the career" in mind, in a realistic fashion, and would this really be that bad?

Don't Drink The Water
Recently
Seek Up
Rooftop
The Stone
The Song That Jane Likes
What Would You Say
Why I Am
Write A Song
If Only
Dancing Nancies >
Warehouse
Everyday
Two Step
So Right
Grey Street
You Might Die Trying
Granny
Ants Marching
__________________
The Space Between
Tripping Billies >
Halloween
___________________
The Last Stop
__________________
S'cuse me. (spits out Ricola) Its just so I know where it is, so I can get it after. Can't waste it, Ricola's delicious."-- DJM
greykitkat36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:59 AM   #130
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man
 
ThememanXX's Avatar
 
Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Mountain Top, PA
Posts: 28,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
would this really be that bad?
Not in the least bit.
__________________
-Jason
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddySpence View Post
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:22 AM   #131
sean52692
You failed this band
 
sean52692's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 17,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by tearsitch View Post
Anyone going to that retrospective photo gallery? I figure I'll check it out before 4pm Sat.
I definitely want to stop by and check that out. I assume it'll be pretty crowded but it could be worth a look.

Can't wait to roll into C'Ville next saturday. Definitely will walk by Miller's, check out the pink warehouse, see the old location of Trax, Jefferson Theater, etc. Already wishing I could spend more time there.
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 11:44 AM   #132
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man
 
ThememanXX's Avatar
 
Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Mountain Top, PA
Posts: 28,743
Oh absolutely wish I had more time, but I'll be making the 5 hour drive on Saturday morning and heading home Sunday morning. I may have to plan a trip to do the Downtown Commons, wineries, all the DMB sights and Monticello sometime in the fall, though.
__________________
-Jason
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddySpence View Post
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 01:38 PM   #133
Tomacco
 
Tomacco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 21,840
Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
And while writing a mock set is overdone, I tried to make one up keeping the idea of "spanning the career" in mind, in a realistic fashion, and would this really be that bad?

Don't Drink The Water
Recently
Seek Up
Rooftop
The Stone
The Song That Jane Likes
What Would You Say
Why I Am
Write A Song
If Only
Dancing Nancies >
Warehouse
Everyday
Two Step
So Right
Grey Street
You Might Die Trying
Granny
Ants Marching
__________________
The Space Between
Tripping Billies >
Halloween
___________________
The Last Stop
Bad? That would be amazing.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 02:45 PM   #134
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man
 
ThememanXX's Avatar
 
Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Mountain Top, PA
Posts: 28,743
Really wish Boyd could still play his part on Help Myself.
__________________
-Jason
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddySpence View Post
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 05:32 PM   #135
JustinC
 
JustinC's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,138
For Boyd's standards nowadays I thought he sounded alright on it in 2013.
JustinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 06:08 PM   #136
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man
 
ThememanXX's Avatar
 
Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Mountain Top, PA
Posts: 28,743
Tim/horns covered it in Scranton
__________________
-Jason
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddySpence View Post
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:16 PM   #137
JustinC
 
JustinC's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 14,138
Ya I was there but that was '12. The two in '13 he sounded alright.
JustinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:20 PM   #138
SomeDevil17
 
SomeDevil17's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,306
I think a lot of daves set writing abilities are based on how Boyd is sounding.
SomeDevil17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:47 AM   #139
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul
 
MaLaKaS's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lost Somewhere In Jersey
Posts: 18,674
So this will be my first Cville trip. Can't wait to get down there and see all of the DMB landmarks. I'm more excited about that stuff than the actual show
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambourine Man View Post
let the children write the sets
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:19 AM   #140
mikelhu
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 514
Someone on Ants claims to have run into Carter in Cville recently. Carter supposedly said the whole band would be in town Tuesday to start rehearsing.
If true that would be a little better than their recent show up the day before the tour starts and rehearse routine I suppose lol
mikelhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:03 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2006 thesedayscontinue.org

Page generated in 0.11806 seconds with 26 queries