These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Can it get any better?
Yes 41 31.78%
No 88 68.22%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2009, 04:39 PM   #41
TheSniper26

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisek View Post
I disagree... good tunes are good tunes.
Sure. I'm not saying their early work wasn't genuinely great. I'm just saying that no matter what happens from here on out, it will never have that same impact and feeling it had when it was still something so new and fresh to us. It's no mystery that people who had Everyday as their first exposure to the band think it's a much better album than the people who liked the band starting in, say, '94. My overall point is that I think the band will never have an album that is viewed as being in the same league as BTCS, but that may be more to do with a skewed perception of the fan base and less to do with the quality of what they put out.
TheSniper26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:49 PM   #42
SweetDownAndUp

Possible: Yes
Probable: No. I am going to wait and see how BWGK is but it is going to take a few years of hard work, concentration, and leadership to reproduce the result of BTCS. I hope they are on the right path.
SweetDownAndUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:50 PM   #43
Klooner

With BTCS' 20-year anniversary on the horizon, let's revive this one.

At this time of this post's resuscitation the poll was at a 54/46 split based on voting back in May of 2009. That is shockingly optimistic, even for a time period as far back (or recently, depending on your view) as nine years ago.
Klooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 03:04 PM   #44
blumathu

Seems pretty obvious at this point that BTCS will forever be their masterpiece.
blumathu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 03:04 PM   #45
mja271

I think the vibe was significantly different in 2009 than now. For me, the '08 tour was magical. The band sounded like it had new life after the doldrums of 05-07. The loss of Roi obviously was devastating but they still managed to play great shows despite having to replace him on the fly and deal with the emotional toll it took. While if I had to answer the poll then I would've say no, that time and freshness of the lineup seemed like probably the last best shot of them producing something special (aside from the obvious blunder of losing the '04 songs for SU). Now the answer is obviously a resounding no. I'd be happy if they could produce something 20% as good as BTCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 03:23 PM   #46
Bluewater34
Is Old

Aw. Look at how hopeful people were about this band in 2009. That breaks my heart a little.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:35 PM   #47
greykitkat36

They havenít Done so in 20 years so Iíd say no. Could Dave make a solo record equally as good? Possibly. But this band as it is isnít capable of that level of creativity and vision right now.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:47 PM   #48
Bluewater34
Is Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
They havenít Done so in 20 years so Iíd say no. Could Dave make a solo record equally as good? Possibly. But this band as it is isnít capable of that level of creativity and vision right now.
I would say that even thinking he could do a solo album that comes close to Some Devil is way too optimistic. Seriously, since this poll, how many songs has Dave written that you would say are as good as most of Some Devil, much less BTCS?
Old 04-18-2018, 03:49 PM   #49
mja271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater34 View Post
I would say that even thinking he could do a solo album that comes close to Some Devil is way too optimistic. Seriously, since this poll, how many songs has Dave written that you would say are as good as most of Some Devil, much less BTCS?
I don't get it, I often see people seem to think Dave solo would be some massive leap up. He's the one writing all these terrible songs the last 12-13 years. I don't see how going solo is suddenly going to make him produce at a much higher quality.
Quote:
Old 04-18-2018, 08:05 PM   #50
DMBBoyd

Crash > BTCS
Old 04-18-2018, 08:56 PM   #51
CRUSHsoccer15

No, but I loved Spring of 2009. The most hopeful time in the recent-ish history of this band.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:53 PM   #52
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBBoyd View Post
Crash > BTCS
Gonna have to disagree with you there mr boyd. However, If that Bloomington is Indiana we may agree that mother Bears is the best pizza in town.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:53 PM   #53
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUSHsoccer15 View Post
No, but I loved Spring of 2009. The most hopeful time in the recent-ish history of this band.
Agreed. I went to Nashville and that was a great show and exciting time to see the band.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:20 AM   #54
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja271 View Post
I don't get it, I often see people seem to think Dave solo would be some massive leap up. He's the one writing all these terrible songs the last 12-13 years. I don't see how going solo is suddenly going to make him produce at a much higher quality.
Because I think environment as well as the musicians and producers you surround yourself with make a huge difference. Dave had a bunch of great songs in the vault that didn't work with DMB in the early 2000s and we never heard most of them until he went in to record Some Devil. The guys he put himself with (Trey, Tim, Brady Blade) inspired him and it turned out great. Some Devil to me is the 4th best Dave related album right behind the big 3. I sometimes enjoy it even more so than Busted Stuff because it sounds more cohesive. There could be some real gems he's written that for whatever reason over the last few years that just didn't work when the band tried them, I fully believe that.

I think if Dave rids himself from these guys and works with totally new people again (not a repeat of SD), he'd be capable of some really solid stuff. Clearly a huge stretch to say it would compare to Some Devil or even BTCS but I think there's a MUCH greater chance of that happening on his own at this point. I just think the creative juice and energy is gone from this band. They're at a point where they can churn out a couple of quality tunes every few years, but no longer at a point where they're going to make an entire 10-12 track album (of new songs) with all great material. And maybe Boyd saw the writing on the wall that this band is done and headed for nostalgia and he's getting out while he can.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:08 AM   #55
blumathu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBBoyd View Post
Crash > BTCS
I sort of agree with this. Crash is personally my favorite DMB album. But some of that is because it's the first DMB album that I was really looking forward to being released and the first I bought on release day. That kind of stuff. So it's nostalgic I suppose. However I still classify BTCS as their masterpiece. I know that probably makes zero sense.
blumathu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:41 AM   #56
mattinmass
heady

Releasing DDTW as the first single was such a ballsy move and I will never forget it
mattinmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:49 AM   #57
NiCK (Crush)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumathu View Post
I know that probably makes zero sense.
That makes perfect sense.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:00 AM   #58
mja271

Yep I'm basically in the same boat and totally get what you're saying. I always kind of look at Crash as "classic" DMB. Especially from a song selection standpoint. So many of the staples and signature tunes are on that record. It's my personal favorite. But as a full encompassing package, BTCS is their best album. While the songs are obviously great in and of themselves, it's the production, flow, performances and general feel of the record that puts it over the top. It is a complete piece of work that is just special.
Quote:
Old 04-19-2018, 11:08 AM   #59
NiCK (Crush)

1. Before These Crowded Streets
2. Crash
3. Under The Table A Dreaming
4. Busted Stuff
6. Big Whiskey & The Groogrux King
7. Away from the World
8. Everyday
9. Stand Up

If I'm allowed to put the Lillywhite Sessions in there it would probably be #3 and everything would move down one.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:11 AM   #60
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiCK Crush View Post
1. Before These Crowded Streets
2. Crash
3. Under The Table A Dreaming
4. Busted Stuff
6. Big Whiskey & The Groogrux King
7. Away from the World
8. Everyday
9. Stand Up

If I'm allowed to put the Lillywhite Sessions in there it would probably be #3 and everything would move down one.
BTCS
UTTAD
Crash
(Lillywhite, however if finished I think this had the chance to be #1)
Busted Stuff
(Some Devil)
AFTW
Big Whiskey
Everyday

Stand Up

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc