These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Can it get any better?
Yes 41 31.78%
No 88 68.22%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-03-2009, 01:27 AM   #21
dandtrock

they could do better, but will not - mostly because music creation is a function of time, place, and chemistry. big whiskey probably will not match it, but is probably going to be at least somewhat impressive and the best you could hope for at this point.
dandtrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:30 AM   #22
ethaxton

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandtrock View Post
they could do better, but will not - mostly because music creation is a function of time, place, and chemistry. big whiskey probably will not match it, but is probably going to be at least somewhat impressive and the best you could hope for at this point.
Yeah, the fans need a good album. Stand Up and Everyday were such duds overall. Arguments can be made for a song here and there from the albums, but that's aside from the point.
ethaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:58 AM   #23
Fiorentino
Viva Las Vegas

No. I don't mean that in a bad way either.. nor do I think they are incapable of another masterpiece. I've read alot of opinions over the years that stated the Lillywhite Sessions would have topped BTCS. While I disagree, I do think that it was(seems) the closest they've come.

Another question that I think is valid, is will any future DMB albums top Big Whiskey? I wonder this simply because of the unique circumstances that arose from LeRoi's death that motivated the album hopefully won't happen again. I wonder if the next album will be as motivated. (Maybe I should hear Big Whiskey first though )
Old 05-03-2009, 01:59 AM   #24
morgadt

I don't know...for some reason, I think they can. Just think of the possibilities. I'm sick of BTCS being the be all end all of albums. It was 11 years ago. I'm ready to hear something fresh and great.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:03 AM   #25
mrchattr
My office...

Yes they can. You never know what can inspire great music. With that said, I doubt they will.
mrchattr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 02:22 AM   #26
dmbowns

They absolutely cannot. I don't know how this poll is close. I still think they can make a good album, but that was their peak.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cufield
that leather wearing homo introduced his brother to this place at the tender age of 15? that's child abuse.
dmbowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 02:23 AM   #27
Parker
yeah

I think the Lillywhites could have surpassed BTCS if they had finished them. If the lillywhites had the guests BTCS had it would have been even more amazing.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 02:36 AM   #28
morgadt

I think, it's going to be pretty subjective. It won't necessarily blow it out of the water. It'll be like a Beatles fan who thinks that Let It Be is better than Sgt Peppers.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:49 AM   #29
always40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
I think the Lillywhites could have surpassed BTCS if they had finished them. If the lillywhites had the guests BTCS had it would have been even more amazing.
the momentum they had and the trajectory they were on at that time...so sad to look back and see it all take such a bad turn. they haven't gotten back on track since, and now with roi gone, it just can never be the same, but man i'd love for them to put their best foot forward and make some great new, albeit different, music
always40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:22 AM   #30
TheSniper26

I don't see it happening. I mean realistically, how many bands have put out their "best work" nearly 20 years into their careers? The past is always glorified. At one time the music this band made was really new and fresh and different than anything else. It isn't anymore. Not necessarily because of any wrong doing by the band, but just because they've been around a while. It's "old hat". So the material of the past, regardless of quality, is sometimes viewed as being superior simply because at the time it came off as being a little fresher and interesting. So much of the fans perspective of things has to do with the timeline of the band itself. It's entirely possible that this next album, had it been made much earlier in the band's timeline, might be viewed as a classic. Instead, it will have little to no chance of being thought of that way no matter how it sounds. The people listening to it will be much harder to impress now. Everybody involved in the process, listeners and artists, are at different places in their lives than they were years ago. It will never be viewed as "the same", producing the same stirring feelings towards the music, and in turn it will be thought to be of lesser quality.
TheSniper26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:30 AM   #31
drh424s

Will dmb do another album that's better?

Not a chance
drh424s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:33 AM   #32
1t. Dan

no. its too perfect.
1t. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:16 AM   #33
inmytree
Hey Gee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethaxton View Post
because they aren't the same band
What does that have to do with what I said? We don't know. The only way we would know for sure that they'll never make another album as good as BTCS in the eyes of their fanbase is if the majority of their fanbase don't believe that doing so is possible.
inmytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:24 AM   #34
Pilgrim
a cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coster View Post
Yes. It's called Under the Table and Dreaming

as a collection of songs i think UTTAD is quite a bit better than BTCS. it's just that BTCS flows so well as a whole.

but i do agree with you.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:46 AM   #35
NiCK (Crush)

Can it... yes.

Will it... doubtful.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:58 AM   #36
orbs35
that's not sexy, bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coster View Post
Yes. It's called Under the Table and Dreaming

exactly what i came in here to post
orbs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:59 AM   #37
Caveat Emperor
The Flyin' Lions

Disc Golf Champion! Flash Poker Champion! Super Mario Flash HV Champion! Whammy Champion!
Can they make a better album than BTCS? Sure.

Will the fans ever acknowledge it as such? Unlikely. Far too many fans (probably myself included) default to BTCS when they think about what DMB is supposed to sound like. Any deviation from that is automatically deemed to be not as good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
What's this about 'extended delay?' Hardened boarders know TDC was only down for two days: the day it went down, and the day it went back up.
Caveat Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 12:02 PM   #38
JWood

yeah, obviously. BTCS sucked.

in all seriousness, no. and it's not because they're not capable of it, they are. but we have a different band from here on out, and not only that, but BTCS was 11 years ago. the fact that they haven't put out anything close to BTCS since then makes BTCS seem more mythical than it really is. every time they crash and burn BTCS rises onto a higher pedestal.
JWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:03 PM   #39
JamSession v2.0
A magician named...

I believe it is possible they can.
JamSession v2.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:09 PM   #40
kaisek
You f@#kin suck at this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSniper26 View Post
I don't see it happening. I mean realistically, how many bands have put out their "best work" nearly 20 years into their careers? The past is always glorified. At one time the music this band made was really new and fresh and different than anything else. It isn't anymore. Not necessarily because of any wrong doing by the band, but just because they've been around a while. It's "old hat". So the material of the past, regardless of quality, is sometimes viewed as being superior simply because at the time it came off as being a little fresher and interesting. So much of the fans perspective of things has to do with the timeline of the band itself. It's entirely possible that this next album, had it been made much earlier in the band's timeline, might be viewed as a classic. Instead, it will have little to no chance of being thought of that way no matter how it sounds. The people listening to it will be much harder to impress now. Everybody involved in the process, listeners and artists, are at different places in their lives than they were years ago. It will never be viewed as "the same", producing the same stirring feelings towards the music, and in turn it will be thought to be of lesser quality.

I disagree... good tunes are good tunes.
well it technically doesn't matter, since these clips are pretty clearly dmb.. but if they somehow turn out not to be, it'll be a three-course meal (hat, father, cock), followed by glue fisting for dessert.
kaisek is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc