These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Can it get any better?
Yes 41 31.78%
No 88 68.22%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2009, 01:27 AM   #21
dandtrock
 
dandtrock's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: saint paul, mn
Posts: 1,449
they could do better, but will not - mostly because music creation is a function of time, place, and chemistry. big whiskey probably will not match it, but is probably going to be at least somewhat impressive and the best you could hope for at this point.
dandtrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:30 AM   #22
ethaxton
 
ethaxton's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 8,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandtrock View Post
they could do better, but will not - mostly because music creation is a function of time, place, and chemistry. big whiskey probably will not match it, but is probably going to be at least somewhat impressive and the best you could hope for at this point.
Yeah, the fans need a good album. Stand Up and Everyday were such duds overall. Arguments can be made for a song here and there from the albums, but that's aside from the point.
ethaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:58 AM   #23
Fiorentino
Viva Las Vegas
 
Fiorentino's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 794
No. I don't mean that in a bad way either.. nor do I think they are incapable of another masterpiece. I've read alot of opinions over the years that stated the Lillywhite Sessions would have topped BTCS. While I disagree, I do think that it was(seems) the closest they've come.

Another question that I think is valid, is will any future DMB albums top Big Whiskey? I wonder this simply because of the unique circumstances that arose from LeRoi's death that motivated the album hopefully won't happen again. I wonder if the next album will be as motivated. (Maybe I should hear Big Whiskey first though )
__________________
MJF
Fiorentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:59 AM   #24
morgadt
 
morgadt's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 5,869
I don't know...for some reason, I think they can. Just think of the possibilities. I'm sick of BTCS being the be all end all of albums. It was 11 years ago. I'm ready to hear something fresh and great.
__________________
-Dan
morgadt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 02:03 AM   #25
mrchattr
My office...
 
mrchattr's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Mechanicsburg, PA
Posts: 5,247
Yes they can. You never know what can inspire great music. With that said, I doubt they will.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trpn2dmb
hey, lets put aside our differences and just enjoy girls peeing, okay?
mrchattr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 02:22 AM   #26
dmbowns
 
dmbowns's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,476
They absolutely cannot. I don't know how this poll is close. I still think they can make a good album, but that was their peak.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by rents
my parents money is my money ... get over it
Quote:
Originally Posted by cufield
that leather wearing homo introduced his brother to this place at the tender age of 15? that's child abuse.
dmbowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 02:23 AM   #27
Parker
yeah
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 674
I think the Lillywhites could have surpassed BTCS if they had finished them. If the lillywhites had the guests BTCS had it would have been even more amazing.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 02:36 AM   #28
morgadt
 
morgadt's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Huntsville, AL
Posts: 5,869
I think, it's going to be pretty subjective. It won't necessarily blow it out of the water. It'll be like a Beatles fan who thinks that Let It Be is better than Sgt Peppers.
__________________
-Dan
morgadt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 02:49 AM   #29
always40
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
I think the Lillywhites could have surpassed BTCS if they had finished them. If the lillywhites had the guests BTCS had it would have been even more amazing.
the momentum they had and the trajectory they were on at that time...so sad to look back and see it all take such a bad turn. they haven't gotten back on track since, and now with roi gone, it just can never be the same, but man i'd love for them to put their best foot forward and make some great new, albeit different, music
always40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:22 AM   #30
TheSniper26
Registered User
 
TheSniper26's Avatar
I don't see it happening. I mean realistically, how many bands have put out their "best work" nearly 20 years into their careers? The past is always glorified. At one time the music this band made was really new and fresh and different than anything else. It isn't anymore. Not necessarily because of any wrong doing by the band, but just because they've been around a while. It's "old hat". So the material of the past, regardless of quality, is sometimes viewed as being superior simply because at the time it came off as being a little fresher and interesting. So much of the fans perspective of things has to do with the timeline of the band itself. It's entirely possible that this next album, had it been made much earlier in the band's timeline, might be viewed as a classic. Instead, it will have little to no chance of being thought of that way no matter how it sounds. The people listening to it will be much harder to impress now. Everybody involved in the process, listeners and artists, are at different places in their lives than they were years ago. It will never be viewed as "the same", producing the same stirring feelings towards the music, and in turn it will be thought to be of lesser quality.
TheSniper26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:30 AM   #31
drh424s
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,603
Will dmb do another album that's better?

Not a chance
drh424s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:33 AM   #32
1t. Dan
 
1t. Dan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 4,632
no. its too perfect.
1t. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:16 AM   #33
inmytree
Hey Gee.
 
inmytree's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethaxton View Post
because they aren't the same band
What does that have to do with what I said? We don't know. The only way we would know for sure that they'll never make another album as good as BTCS in the eyes of their fanbase is if the majority of their fanbase don't believe that doing so is possible.
inmytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:24 AM   #34
Pilgrim
a cherry ghost
 
Pilgrim's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coster View Post
Yes. It's called Under the Table and Dreaming

as a collection of songs i think UTTAD is quite a bit better than BTCS. it's just that BTCS flows so well as a whole.

but i do agree with you.
__________________
Music only knows what the people feel
Pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:46 AM   #35
NiCK (Crush)
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 48,758
Can it... yes.

Will it... doubtful.
__________________
NC
NiCK (Crush) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 10:58 AM   #36
orbs35
that's not sexy, bill
 
orbs35's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: uconn
Posts: 1,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coster View Post
Yes. It's called Under the Table and Dreaming


exactly what i came in here to post
orbs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:59 AM   #37
Caveat Emperor
The Flyin' Lions
 
Caveat Emperor's Avatar
 
Disc Golf Champion! Flash Poker Champion! Super Mario Flash HV Champion! Whammy Champion!
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Great Midwest
Posts: 6,792
Can they make a better album than BTCS? Sure.

Will the fans ever acknowledge it as such? Unlikely. Far too many fans (probably myself included) default to BTCS when they think about what DMB is supposed to sound like. Any deviation from that is automatically deemed to be not as good.
__________________
- Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
What's this about 'extended delay?' Hardened boarders know TDC was only down for two days: the day it went down, and the day it went back up.
Caveat Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 12:02 PM   #38
JWood
 
JWood's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 23,294
yeah, obviously. BTCS sucked.



















in all seriousness, no. and it's not because they're not capable of it, they are. but we have a different band from here on out, and not only that, but BTCS was 11 years ago. the fact that they haven't put out anything close to BTCS since then makes BTCS seem more mythical than it really is. every time they crash and burn BTCS rises onto a higher pedestal.
JWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:03 PM   #39
JamSession v2.0
A magician named...
 
JamSession v2.0's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Roanoke, VA
Posts: 15,308
I believe it is possible they can.
JamSession v2.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 03:09 PM   #40
kaisek
You f@#kin suck at this.
 
kaisek's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 2,714
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSniper26 View Post
I don't see it happening. I mean realistically, how many bands have put out their "best work" nearly 20 years into their careers? The past is always glorified. At one time the music this band made was really new and fresh and different than anything else. It isn't anymore. Not necessarily because of any wrong doing by the band, but just because they've been around a while. It's "old hat". So the material of the past, regardless of quality, is sometimes viewed as being superior simply because at the time it came off as being a little fresher and interesting. So much of the fans perspective of things has to do with the timeline of the band itself. It's entirely possible that this next album, had it been made much earlier in the band's timeline, might be viewed as a classic. Instead, it will have little to no chance of being thought of that way no matter how it sounds. The people listening to it will be much harder to impress now. Everybody involved in the process, listeners and artists, are at different places in their lives than they were years ago. It will never be viewed as "the same", producing the same stirring feelings towards the music, and in turn it will be thought to be of lesser quality.

I disagree... good tunes are good tunes.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by egon spengler View Post
well it technically doesn't matter, since these clips are pretty clearly dmb.. but if they somehow turn out not to be, it'll be a three-course meal (hat, father, cock), followed by glue fisting for dessert.
kaisek is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:35 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2006 thesedayscontinue.org

Page generated in 0.08896 seconds with 17 queries