These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2018, 08:14 AM   #121
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
I haven't listened to these yet, but didn't Steve already mention Boyd before in previous interviews? I could have sworn he said how Boyd would play a part and Steve would then love it and get super excited and tell him to play it again and Boyd could never seem to replicate whatever he did and that was so odd and strange for Steve and it was difficult to add him within arrangements because of things like that.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:58 AM   #122
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
I haven't listened to these yet, but didn't Steve already mention Boyd before in previous interviews? I could have sworn he said how Boyd would play a part and Steve would then love it and get super excited and tell him to play it again and Boyd could never seem to replicate whatever he did and that was so odd and strange for Steve and it was difficult to add him within arrangements because of things like that.
You are correct. I guess he just likes to talk about it whenever he gets the chance....or it really was a big deal.....
ggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:07 AM   #123
dmblaststop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
Very true. He also said that many producers gravitate to the leader and play to the strengths of a band but he likes to find the one with insecurity and try to help them shine. Carter will do what he does, Dave will do what he does, but Boyd needed a lot of attention to shine because his approach to what he does is different than the rest of the band. It certainly worked on the albums he produced. I couldn't help but think of that solo in Drunken Soldier as well.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:50 PM   #124
Monk
Moore Soul

ThEse interviews couldn’t have come at a better time. Thinking about this and the new album, and IMHO poor choice of tracks. Lillywhite’s best gift to the band was that he was willing to tell them when something wasn’t good and make them do it over. Nobody else seems to have the sack to tell them or recognize that not everything DMB shits is gold. They’re a talented band, but they’re lazy and can be self absorbed. There needs to be a sieve. Lillywhite did that remarkably well.

http://dmbalmanac.com/Member.aspx?number=181

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftMacho View Post
i get the feeling about 3% of the people in this thread have ever been laid
Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 06:54 PM   #125
typsitch
setlist communist by necessity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
ThEse interviews couldn’t have come at a better time. Thinking about this and the new album, and IMHO poor choice of tracks. Lillywhite’s best gift to the band was that he was willing to tell them when something wasn’t good and make them do it over. Nobody else seems to have the sack to tell them or recognize that not everything DMB shits is gold. They’re a talented band, but they’re lazy and can be self absorbed. There needs to be a sieve. Lillywhite did that remarkably well.
He didn't have "the sack" to get Dave to write better lyrics on AFTW though.
typsitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 07:02 PM   #126
Monk
Moore Soul

Lillywhite interview about BTCS anniversary

That’s not quite fair (though I am referring to the work in the “big 3”). I think AFTW was a much more difficult record given their history and probably very different than the previous albums. They were originally going to work on old songs, but Dave had written a bunch of new songs he wanted to do instead. The sessions were much shorter than typical sessions for the band have lasted and I think there’s a reason for that. There was a lot of bitterness after the LWS. I think the reunion was probably a lot of trying to be civil and not step on toes. They didn’t ask Lillywhite back again or decide to bring him in for a few tracks on this album. There’s still something not clicking. Perhaps it would take several tries to get back to a better place with each other, perhaps they would never be able to again.

I don’t think they need Lillywhite to make a good record. I’m sure there is someone else out there that can do that for this band again. The real issue seems to be that they don’t want it. They’d rather have someone who tells them everything is great. Batson seems to be the worst at that and they eat it up.

http://dmbalmanac.com/Member.aspx?number=181

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftMacho View Post
i get the feeling about 3% of the people in this thread have ever been laid
Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:36 PM   #127
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Lillywhite interview about BTCS anniversary

Both parts of this BTCS podcast were amazing. It was such a joy to listen to Lillywhite’s insights and stories about this record. It was also very cool for him to open the door into the creative process of their greatest album. What an absolutely incredible 2+ hour listen that was!
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:45 PM   #128
cgator41
Johnny Mac

Quote:
I don’t think they need Lillywhite to make a good record. I’m sure there is someone else out there that can do that for this band again. The real issue seems to be that they don’t want it. They’d rather have someone who tells them everything is great. Batson seems to be the worst at that and they eat it up.
cgator41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:02 PM   #129
greykitkat36

Quote:
That’s not quite fair (though I am referring to the work in the “big 3”). I think AFTW was a much more difficult record given their history and probably very different than the previous albums. They were originally going to work on old songs, but Dave had written a bunch of new songs he wanted to do instead. The sessions were much shorter than typical sessions for the band have lasted and I think there’s a reason for that. There was a lot of bitterness after the LWS. I think the reunion was probably a lot of trying to be civil and not step on toes. They didn’t ask Lillywhite back again or decide to bring him in for a few tracks on this album. There’s still something not clicking. Perhaps it would take several tries to get back to a better place with each other, perhaps they would never be able to again.

Could be the case. I mean BTCS was 20 years ago. All of DMB are different people now. They’re all rich, comfortable, older with families and kids and there’s not a real “hunger” or motivation to make great music like there was back then. And to be fair, there are no artists I can name with a 20+ year career that ever put out consistently great music.

Bob Dylan is considered one of the best songwriters of all time, and he went basically 20 years putting out legitimate garbage from the late 70s to the 90s. This is the period of DMBs career we are in now. They all really need to take a long break—3-5 Years, do stuff on their own, make solo music and spend time with family and come back. A real hiatus—no one off shows, no Dave and Tim tour, etc. I honestly beleive that’s the only way they’ll be revitalized at this point. 1 year just isn’t enough to do that.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:32 AM   #130
JoeyB
this maze

Steve highlighted for me that to make a great DMB record it takes time and care. Seems to me that Steve’s ego, his abilty to push the band, and the band being in a place to listen and with a producer vs. work for one, is really why BTCS is a gem. Yea, the songs are incredible, however, if it were any ither producer, each of thr tunes would have stopped at the “idea” level and would have stayed there vs. maturing them to something great.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:47 AM   #131
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyB View Post
Steve highlighted for me that to make a great DMB record it takes time and care. Seems to me that Steve’s ego, his abilty to push the band, and the band being in a place to listen and with a producer vs. work for one, is really why BTCS is a gem. Yea, the songs are incredible, however, if it were any ither producer, each of thr tunes would have stopped at the “idea” level and would have stayed there vs. maturing them to something great.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:59 PM   #132
JimBeam41

Did Matt Norlander ever post on any of the boards? He really knew his stuff about the band, very impressive.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:23 PM   #133
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBeam41 View Post
Did Matt Norlander ever post on any of the boards? He really knew his stuff about the band, very impressive.
Yes. He still posts here occasionally.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 08:46 PM   #134
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Yes. He still posts here occasionally.

Really? What is his username?
Old 05-17-2018, 09:37 AM   #135
Josh.0

I really wish Steve would produce a Dave solo album.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:55 AM   #136
Josh.0

This is amazing, and I am MASSIVELY appreciative of it, but please bear with me with this one minor complaint and I hope Matt doesn’t take it personally:

Sometimes, during the interview, Matt comes across as a bit disinterested or “above” some of Steve’s stories. Particularly the one about worms, he comes across as almost disinterested to talk about it, but I thought it was hilarious and I think Steve was just trying to have a laugh with Matt about it.

But I guess that’s the difference between a professional interviewer and an amateur like me. I just would have enjoyed if the conversation flowed a little more organically as opposed to ticking off specific questions from a list.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:46 AM   #137
zaphod!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post
This is amazing, and I am MASSIVELY appreciative of it, but please bear with me with this one minor complaint and I hope Matt doesn’t take it personally:

Sometimes, during the interview, Matt comes across as a bit disinterested or “above” some of Steve’s stories. Particularly the one about worms, he comes across as almost disinterested to talk about it, but I thought it was hilarious and I think Steve was just trying to have a laugh with Matt about it.

But I guess that’s the difference between a professional interviewer and an amateur like me. I just would have enjoyed if the conversation flowed a little more organically as opposed to ticking off specific questions from a list.
for all we know, any rofl'ing about the worms could have been edited out. personally, i feel like enough time was spent talking about it, and i'm glad they didn't dwell on it.
zaphod! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:09 AM   #138
sean52692
You failed this band

I don't really want to know more about Steve's worms, he's talked about them before (plus it's repulsive) but I really want to hear that Rapunzel tape with Dave singing about them.

I thought Matt did a great job asking about Steve's sobriety and how that affected the album.
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 11:21 AM   #139
NiCK (Crush)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post

So you wanted more in depth discussion about Steve's shit worms?

He was conducting an interview. The questions and Steve's answers are what is important.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:34 AM   #140
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man

Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

I kind of agree, Matt moved on from some topics while Steve still seemed interested in discussing them. Nothing major, though.
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc