Old 05-09-2018, 01:43 PM   #21
NiCK (Crush)

Holy shit Thrawn.
Old 05-09-2018, 02:43 PM   #22
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrawn View Post
Because there aren’t enough 94s to make their own so they have to go somewhere. Two of them in 93, the rest in 95.

I think you might have my mission statement with these wrong; I'm not doing exactly what was suggested in the thread title. My goal here was to find the best performance of each different style/arrangement of each tune, and then after I'd done that organize them into playlists that felt like concerts that might have been plausible. As we've gotten more and more songs released, it's been easier and easier to get them grouped accurately by year, but I'm not starting with "what best represents 1995". I'm starting with "what best represents (ie) Dancing Nancies", and once I make all those choices, making them into playlists from there.

For example, What Would You Say appears in 1992, early 1995 (new arrangement), 1998 (Maceo Parker), 2002 (Butch), 2004 (Gas Into Fire intro), late 2007 (Warren Haynes), 2011 (Jeff/Tim), and 2014 (acoustic set, flute solo). None of those repeat themselves, except maybe the 2002 one could be omitted since the 2004 one is largely the same arrangement, but I think that the two versions are mixed and performed differently enough to have different feels. But I started with listening to all the WWYS versions and picking the ones to represent each of those styles, and the same with each other song. After I did that, I made playlists out of what resulted.

Well...there are like what...7 or more 1994 releases? I just think this comes off slightly convoluted. So you're taking the best versions of released songs from specific eras that hold a unique stand-out arrangement, but then you're grouping them by year (but also mixing years together) and then arranging them like they were sorta realistic setlists? I get what you're trying to do, but by doing that, I think you missed your own "mission statement" by trying to put too many spins on everything and it just sorta loses the reason of why you're doing it. You've had some really great posts the last few weeks but now it just seems you're trying way too hard being detailed and complex and you're missing your own mark. I'm sure others will love it though and that's cool.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 02:49 PM   #23
Thrawn
You can't take the sky from me

I haven't listened to many DMBLive releases yet; I tend to be more of a fan of 1998 and beyond, so the only one that appears is the 1998 one, which is awesome.

Aside from that: I think maybe you're not the right person to judge how well I met my own goals for making something I would enjoy listening to on my own?

Last edited by Thrawn; 05-09-2018 at 03:07 PM.
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 02:52 PM   #24
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
Quote:
I haven't listened to many DMBLive releases yet; I tend to be more of a fan of 1998 and beyond, so the only one that appears is the 1998 one, which is awesome.

Aside from that: I think maybe you're not the right person to judge how well I met my own goals for making something I would enjoy listening to on my own?
You're 100% right that was poor choice of words and an arrogant remark. My bad.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 03:22 PM   #25
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man

Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

2000 is the year I go back to most often. Going to try this project tomorrow.
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 03:27 PM   #26
Thrawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX View Post
2000 is the year I go back to most often. Going to try this project tomorrow.
The representation we have of 2000 really bums me out. We should have several versions of Grey Street, Raven, etc at their peak. We have one perfect Trax, two badly mixed ones with occasional moments, and then a really bizarre selection of individual 2000 tracks from bonus discs. Almost none of them are standouts of anything. I CD-R traded, back in the day, for every show in 2000, and my imaginary version of a "best of 2000" collection blows what we actually have out of the water. At least there's Trax 3.
Old 05-09-2018, 03:33 PM   #27
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man

Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Quote:
The representation we have of 2000 really bums me out. We should have several versions of Grey Street, Raven, etc at their peak. We have one perfect Trax, two badly mixed ones with occasional moments, and then a really bizarre selection of individual 2000 tracks from bonus discs. Almost none of them are standouts of anything. I CD-R traded, back in the day, for every show in 2000, and my imaginary version of a "best of 2000" collection blows what we actually have out of the water. At least there's Trax 3.
One thing I noticed you missed from 2000 is Blue Water > JTR from 12/8/00
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 03:36 PM   #28
Thrawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX View Post
One thing I noticed you missed from 2000 is Blue Water > JTR from 12/8/00
That used to be my "encore closer" but I recently replaced it with the one from Live 25. Same arrangement - no Butch - and I thought the Live 25 one was a bit more .

(Often when a new version of something gets released that's basically equivalent to an old one, I'll replace it just for variety's sake. Next time I listen to that playlist, I'll get something a little different.)
Old 05-10-2018, 10:54 AM   #29
Huff
The Original Tracklist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancetheham View Post
I've had this idea for a while, and I've finally gotten around to starting to work on it. I've always thought it'd be nice to make my own "sampler" compilation for each year/tour using officially-released songs (the band has done this for 1998, 2001, 2007, 2008, and 2012, but those don't include anything from full show releases). I did 2004 tonight, and here's what I came up with. Anything you'd add/change?

1. The Best of What's Around (7.11.04 - Bristow, VA - Warehouse 8 Vol. 1)
2. Joyride (9.12.04 - San Francisco, CA - Live Trax Vol. 2)
3. #41 (8.7.04 - East Troy, WI - Live Trax Vol. 8)
4. The Stone (8.7.04 - East Troy, WI - Live Trax Vol. 8)
5. Hello Again (7.29.04 - Tampa, FL - Stand Up bonus disc)
6. Warehouse (9.12.04 - San Francisco, CA - Live Trax Vol. 2)
7. Everyday (7.27.04 - Atlanta, GA - Live Trax Vol. 43)
8. Help Myself (8.23.04 - Albuquerque, NM - Warehouse 8 Vol. 2)
9. Sugar Will (9.4.04 - George, WA - Stand Up bonus disc)
10. Rhyme & Reason (7.10.04 - Hershey, PA - Warehouse 8 Vol. 2)
11. Good Good Time (7.10.04 - Hershey, PA - Warehouse 10 Vol. 2)
12. Drive In, Drive Out (7.27.04 - Atlanta, GA - Live Trax Vol. 43)
13. Crazy Easy (7.16.04 - Hartford, CT - Warehouse 8 Vol. 8)
14. So Much to Say > Anyone Seen the Bridge (8.5.04 - Cincinnati, OH - Warehouse 8 Vol. 5)
15. Too Much (8.5.04 - Cincinnati, OH - Warehouse 8 Vol. 5)
TOTAL TIME: 2:00:01

My idea is to go for the best performances and most-representative songs, not necessarily the best songs (otherwise I'd end up with Seek Up, Typical, Dreaming Tree, Two Step, Graves, etc. on all of them). I'll probably include some Stand Up songs whenever I get around to 2005, covers for 2008, etc.

I plan to do the same for most other years that we have a significant amount of released material. I'll post what I come up with in here. Hope someone enjoys!
Great idea...a thought on this tracklist above and something to possibly consider. Wasn't I'll Back You Up from that Cincy show released as well? That was a nice surprise and one of only a couple times played that year, right?

Operation Halloween 2008 = SUCCESS
Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 11:23 AM   #30
Mitch

Good stuff, Thrawn! Thanks for sharing. I'm starting to feel a little momentum build towards listening to DMB. I'll recreate some of your playlists when I do.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc