These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2018, 09:30 AM   #1
greykitkat36

In-Depth Song Discussion #6—Help Myself

One of the most underrated songs in DMBs catalog. In my top 20 songs I think from them, just think it’s pretty great. Was lucky enough to see it at my first show (8/24/03) but haven’t been able to see it live since. Would love to get it this summer. Tim is a beast on this too.

Best versions? I love the one from LT37 (11.11.92)

Interesting how this song was recorded during BTCS. Lillywhite said in the recent interview that Halloween was the song they were going to use for Scream soundtrack, but they loved the version of Halloween so much they decided to keep it on the album and record Help Myself for the soundtrack instead (which was recorded and finished in one afternoon).

Love the “summers here...” section and the “cold grow the days section” the song goes from such anger and creepiness to so peaceful and blissful. Great. And Boyd is good on this song
Old 05-02-2018, 09:32 AM   #2
blumathu

Love this one. Heard this for the first time at a show in '97, didn't know the song before that. Started my journey of chasing tapes and what not.

This will be a great one for Thrawn, some weird stuff doing on with the guitar riff in this one.
blumathu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:33 AM   #3
CRUSHsoccer15

Gotta be one of the most forgettable songs in the catalog pre-2001.

I mean it's fine...but I'll never choose to listen to it and would never hope to hear it at a show.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:51 AM   #4
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
Always enjoyed it. I really love the early D&T performances 4/22/93, 2/21/94, 8/25/94. I remember being really psyched to get it at my first show (10/1/96). I haven't listened to it in a while, but I vaguely remember the 11/9/96 performance being really raw and awesome. 2/23/95 and 2/21/97 are two others I've always enjoyed.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 12:44 PM   #5
NiCK (Crush)

Lillywhite said in the Nolander interview that he hasn't listened to the studio cut since they recorded it. Curious what he thinks of it now.
Old 05-02-2018, 12:55 PM   #6
mja271

Weird song for me. Always enjoyed it whenever I heard it come on, but never really actively went back to it for some reason. The studio version was pretty sweet though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:32 PM   #7
DIDO36
mailing it in since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUSHsoccer15 View Post
Gotta be one of the most forgettable songs in the catalog pre-2001.

I mean it's fine...but I'll never choose to listen to it and would never hope to hear it at a show.
This song is probably better then 90% of songs since 2005. Even if it is one of the most forgettable 90s dmb songs. That's really sad.

In my opninion its fantastic. I would love to see it again this summer. I think it would be a really cool opener as well.
DIDO36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:33 PM   #8
bassplayer22

I like Help Myself and think the studio cut was a great version of the song.

I think it was the correct decision to leave it off of BTCS. The song is just lacking something special I cant pinpoint and dont think it wouldve fit in with the other tracks.
bassplayer22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 03:59 PM   #9
RageATL
The Dude abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayer22 View Post
I like Help Myself and think the studio cut was a great version of the song.

I think it was the correct decision to leave it off of BTCS. The song is just lacking something special I cant pinpoint and dont think it wouldve fit in with the other tracks.
After listening to Part 2 of the Lillywhite interview, I cranked it last night in my basement and while I totally agree that the perfromance is really good, the recording is very good and I definitely do like it, leaving it off BTCS was absolutely the correct decision. For me the timbre of it just wasn't right, it just seemed like it sounded like it was recorded during a different session and didn't sound as if it was cut from the same cloth so to speak.

My DMB Almanac: http://dmbalmanac.com/Member.aspx?number=576
RageATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 06:28 PM   #10
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageATL View Post
After listening to Part 2 of the Lillywhite interview, I cranked it last night in my basement and while I totally agree that the perfromance is really good, the recording is very good and I definitely do like it, leaving it off BTCS was absolutely the correct decision. For me the timbre of it just wasn't right, it just seemed like it sounded like it was recorded during a different session and didn't sound as if it was cut from the same cloth so to speak.
The way I understand it, it was never going to be included on BTCS and wasn’t ever considered. They only recorded it because they wanted Halloween on BTCS and didn’t want to give it to the Scream people. So Steve was like, “what else can we record to give them?”
Old 05-02-2018, 09:56 PM   #11
gweeps

It's a good non-album song. I rarely think of it when I'm wanting to hear some DMB. But when I do listen to it, I'm not upset that I did. It's what filler ought to be.
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:41 AM   #12
dmblaststop

I always thought it had a very live feel. Carter's drumming is especially tight. Now it makes sense if they completed it in an afternoon, as LW said.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:26 AM   #13
cgator41
Johnny Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmblaststop View Post
I always thought it had a very live feel. Carter's drumming is especially tight. Now it makes sense if they completed it in an afternoon, as LW said.
Yep. Complete with Boyd not sounding great.

Definitely not polished like most of Lillywhite's stuff.
cgator41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:36 PM   #14
Thrawn
You can't take the sky from me

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumathu View Post
Love this one. Heard this for the first time at a show in '97, didn't know the song before that. Started my journey of chasing tapes and what not.

This will be a great one for Thrawn, some weird stuff doing on with the guitar riff in this one.
I haven't ever taken the time to analyze this one, actually. I can play it on guitar but that's all I have so far. I've been meaning to sit down and figure out what chords Peter is playing on the 1992 version we have released, though - this seems like a good excuse to do that. This weekend, looks like I have some experimenting to do.
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 10:52 PM   #15
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

In-Depth Song Discussion #6—Help Myself

I’ve always liked this song. I got to hear it live 3 times (8.24.03, 9.24.03, 7.2.04) and it was always a treat. This song is very 90s DMB to me and always gives me that nostalgic feel. I would love to hear it live again one day.
MaLaKaS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:29 AM   #16
RageATL
The Dude abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
The way I understand it, it was never going to be included on BTCS and wasn’t ever considered. They only recorded it because they wanted Halloween on BTCS and didn’t want to give it to the Scream people. So Steve was like, “what else can we record to give them?”
Ahh gotcha, my bad.

My DMB Almanac: http://dmbalmanac.com/Member.aspx?number=576
RageATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:38 AM   #17
celluloid hero

This song doesn't do anything for me. I respect it as old-school DMB and it was the 90's equivalent of an uncommon, unreleased song like Granny. Sort of a nod to the hardcores for a bit and for that, I respect its place. But I don't know of any great versions, I was never at a show where when it was over I thought anything other than "ok, don't see that every day..."

Bottom tier of the '90s era for me.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:08 AM   #18
Bluewater34
Is Old

It’s a song that I don’t miss, but always really enjoy when I hear it. Got it at my first show, which was a nice surprise at the time. I just went to listen to it and discovered that I no longer have the studio version. Which is weird.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc