These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2012, 04:43 PM   #21
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Here's a great new song (Video) that they recorded this Summer. I could listen to her voice all night long.

[Only registered users can see links.]
ggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:50 AM   #22
ggies
Sugar Will '04

For anyone who cares, their second album came out today. It's not bad considering the circumstances. Devil's Backbone is my favorite song on this one.

Beginning of Devil's Backbone:

Old 08-06-2013, 10:55 AM   #23
BurnItDown

I've only listened through once, I really like it so far.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:58 AM   #24
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnItDown View Post
I've only listened through once, I really like it so far.
Nice.

I really like Dust to Dust's lyrics, but the music sounds like a pop song for them. Not thrilled. And some of the songs don't have enough John Paul. He's great on 'I Had Me a Girl' though.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:10 AM   #25
ggies
Sugar Will '04

I'm throwing up another video for those that are interested. It's about the new album:

Old 08-06-2013, 11:29 AM   #26
JustinC

So The Civil Wars figuratively had one? That's pretty funny.
JustinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:46 AM   #27
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinC View Post
So The Civil Wars figuratively had one? That's pretty funny.
Yep. Supposedly there are hints throughout the album as to why, but it's all very vague.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:51 AM   #28
DMBTex10101
doing the hippo thing

A big fan of the album overall though. My only real gripes are
1. (as someone mentioned earlier) Dust to Dust is too close to pop. I'd love to hear a stripped down acoustic version of it, I bet I'd like it much more.
2. I don't feel like Oh Henry translated too well in the studio. Just doesn't have that same punch as it did live.

I love the songs like Devil's Backbone & Oh Henry that kind of tell a story. The last track sounds very rough, almost unfinished. And the song in French caught me way off guard, but damn do I love her voice on it. Overall I really like the bitterness of the album, I think their style lends to it really well. Such a shame that this might be all we hear from them.

Cool to hear Jerry Douglas on this too. I always thought a dobro would be a great addition to their songs and . . . well, it really is.

Archives in Cowtown
DMBTex10101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:04 AM   #29
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBTex10101 View Post
1. (as someone mentioned earlier) Dust to Dust is too close to pop. I'd love to hear a stripped down acoustic version of it, I bet I'd like it much more.
2. I don't feel like Oh Henry translated too well in the studio. Just doesn't have that same punch as it did live.

I love the songs like Devil's Backbone & Oh Henry that kind of tell a story. The last track sounds very rough, almost unfinished. And the song in French caught me way off guard, but damn do I love her voice on it. Overall I really like the bitterness of the album, I think their style lends to it really well. Such a shame that this might be all we hear from them.

Cool to hear Jerry Douglas on this too. I always thought a dobro would be a great addition to their songs and . . . well, it really is.
Yeah, I didn't like how Oh Henry was done either and agree with you on it not having enough punch. I was surprised to not see Kingdom Come on the album either. That last track was actually the only recording of the song they did and it was done on her iPhone.

I actually woke up humming Devil's Backbone.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:17 AM   #30
illi3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBTex10101 View Post

i read somewhere that joy said the last song was only performed once and the recording is off her iPhone
illi3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:22 AM   #31
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by illi3 View Post
i read somewhere that joy said the last song was only performed once and the recording is off her iPhone
Could it have been my post above?
Old 08-07-2013, 08:43 AM   #32
BurnItDown

I like Oh Henry. Agree with everyone else that's said it just doesn't come across as well studio as it does live. Still giving this one a solid listen today.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:21 PM   #33
ggies
Sugar Will '04

You could almost put Devi's Backbone into modern day country music. It has that kinda story to do that. I don't like country music, but some modern stuff is ok.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc