These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2018, 12:58 PM   #81
Thrawn
You can't take the sky from me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aparker507 View Post
Regarding the Carter talk, I somewhat completely agree.

I've been watching 2002-2003 videos a lot lately and really miss that drum setup and sound. Everything was more full sounding, open, the sound that got me to buy a recording custom drumset, and inspired me to build and keep up with the replica kit. All his tasty drumming with the splashes, the build up to the china's, the extra timbale hits thrown in, and just the old cymbal selection all together. I went so far a few weeks ago to set the old kit up with the old placement and cymbals. It was a breath of fresh air from the current rock kit and sound he has.

His kit sounds incredible now, but it's not the same kit that drew me in to his sound at all. His over use of the China cymbal has really made him lose 90% of his dynamics he used to have. He then asked Henry to add him more splashes for 2016. They took his smallest crash out and replaced it with another stack of Zildjians smallest splashes. What's crazy? He hardly EVER touches them and you can't hear them over Tim and the horns anyway if he does. I don't get that at all.

To be honest, it seems his older kit would almost fit better now than the current one with some of the cymbal choices. I've went back to the current kit myself and I still love it, but nothing will touch that old setup and sound.

I sent a picture of it to Henry the other day and he replied saying that it really took him back to the old days. Bring the China stack back!!

As for his playing, it's still crazy, but he's completely either not playing or skipping signature parts of songs. Small things that made some of the old songs so good drumming wise have been simplified to a basic beat. And his playing has gotten much quieter. His sticks used to fly over his head. Now they stay fairly low. I think his age is catching up to him to a degree. His kit is getting lower and lower, with stuff being put in easier reach. He's still my favorite drummer and always will be, but I'm truly a Henry fan lol. He's a genius behind that kit.
Because I'm fascinated by stuff like this, positive or negative - could you mention some specific signature parts / small details that he's been skipping lately? Not so I can complain, but so I can recognize more of what made his drumming special earlier on.
It's quite possible that if I catch you on a day you take a ghost shit where there's nothing to be wiped, the other 2 piles will smell much worse imo
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 01:29 PM   #82
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
There will be a 19 summer tour.

The years they haven't toured they gave everyone a heads up beforehand to help boost ticket sales.

Unless there's a major setback (illness or something), they'll hit the sheds in 19.
Yeah, these guys don't have years left to take off anymore. I'd expect them to go until somebody can't at this point.
dmb1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 01:41 PM   #83
Aparker507

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrawn View Post
Because I'm fascinated by stuff like this, positive or negative - could you mention some specific signature parts / small details that he's been skipping lately? Not so I can complain, but so I can recognize more of what made his drumming special earlier on.
Just off the top of my head:
Grey street at 4:47. Those 32nds between the snare and hi hats are insane. He used to always build up to that. Now it's just a simple accent and not the crazy speed he had.
[Only registered users can see links.]

Crash Into Me: He's only used the signature chimes after the verses in a few shows this summer. He's simply kept time on the ride. That's a major part of the song to me and without the chimes, it's not nearly as good.

Granny: Slamming the floor Tom as the accent. That was such a unique part of the song. Now it's been replaced with a snare hit and the crash/China.

Warehouse at 3:35. That little Tom fill has always been great. Now I think he'll do that once every now and then verses keeping a straight beat.

Ants no longer has the long Tom rolls in the outro.

I just think this has to be with his aging. But then he does stuff still that I'm like..... How?? So maybe he's just bored of these songs and like said above or somewhere, no longer has to prove how good of a drummer he is.

It's quite evident with how little he does any appearances at NAMM, PASIC, or anything with drums, how little he cares, or seems to. I think he's happy now with playing the show and hitting the bus. He is what, 60? 61 now? Can't blame him, but the absence when so many other high profile drummers are always at these instrument shows and interacting with fans is interesting.

I thought I heard one time he never wanted the fame and huge lifestyle. Dude may just like his privacy other than people he knows or has to say something to on the street. No use in worrying about it though, those days are behind me.

Like I said, Henry is just plain awesome for all he's done.
Aparker507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 02:33 PM   #84
dmb1981

Quote:
Grey street at 4:47. Those 32nds between the snare and hi hats are insane. He used to always build up to that. Now it's just a simple accent and not the crazy speed he had.

Crash Into Me: He's only used the signature chimes after the verses in a few shows this summer. He's simply kept time on the ride. That's a major part of the song to me and without the chimes, it's not nearly as good.

Granny: Slamming the floor Tom as the accent. That was such a unique part of the song. Now it's been replaced with a snare hit and the crash/China.

Warehouse at 3:35. That little Tom fill has always been great. Now I think he'll do that once every now and then verses keeping a straight beat.

I just think this has to be with his aging. But then he does stuff still that I'm like..... How?? So maybe he's just bored of these songs and like said above or somewhere, no longer has to prove how good of a drummer he is.

It's quite evident with how little he does any appearances at NAMM, PASIC, or anything with drums, how little he cares, or seems to. I think he's happy now with playing the show and hitting the bus. He is what, 60? 61 now? Can't blame him, but the absence when so many other high profile drummers are always at these instrument shows and interacting with fans is interesting.

I thought I heard one time he never wanted the fame and huge lifestyle. Dude may just like his privacy other than people he knows or has to say something to on the street. No use in worrying about it though, those days are behind me.

Your info is great and much appreciated. I'm a guitar guy and have no technical knowledge of the drums but know well enough that Carter has big time digressed over the last couple years. Your input is really interesting.
dmb1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 02:53 PM   #85
Josh.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacam07 View Post
I mean there is a Europe tour and i heard a million rumors. So yes there will be. I will be shocked if not.
Yeah I was just curious because they will have gone summer > Fall > Spring with tours and I could see them wanting to take a break, particularly without a new album out.
Just so you know, B.B.C. stands for Bitch Be Cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
You know what else it stands for though, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBeam41 View Post
I cant wait for him to google that
30 minutes later

Quote:
Originally Posted by K270 View Post
You guys are sick.
Josh.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 03:24 PM   #86
Feathered
oh shit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.0 View Post
Yeah I was just curious because they will have gone summer > Fall > Spring with tours and I could see them wanting to take a break, particularly without a new album out.
I'm still half expecting we are going to get a Busted Stuff style slam out of a new album next year. KTK being one of the most played winter tour songs shows that the Batson leak got some dmbpanicmode cap$haw wants money juices flowing.
Old 12-20-2018, 03:46 PM   #87
Thrawn

Quote:

Fascinating; thanks for sharing. I had definitely noticed a couple of these; I really don't like how he drums Granny these days, for instance. Grey Street is an interesting case, though - for a long time he was trying to do some kind of wild kick drum thing and would lose the downbeat right at the climax of the jam, and I much preferred the more restrained version on the most recent Live Trax from 2018 to anything he was trying there the last few years. I think I don't mind him aging into something a little cleaner and simpler; my problem is more the thrashing kick drumming where he lost the beat. I'm hoping he's starting to move in that direction. When he isn't just trying to be loud, he has an ear for syncopation that's still, to my mind, unmatched (like the examples of Bismarck and Crazy Easy I mentioned before.)
It's quite possible that if I catch you on a day you take a ghost shit where there's nothing to be wiped, the other 2 piles will smell much worse imo
Old 12-20-2018, 04:53 PM   #88
Aparker507

Another small thing I've noticed from Carter is he's ditched the quarter note on the ride from the snare rolls on songs like crash and bartender. That's one of his marching style drumming efforts with that single ride note thrown in I've always thought was incredible. Now it's gone.

Don't mean to come off as bashing the guy, but as a drummer who still is my drumming hero, it's not as fun watching things get dumbed down so much.
Old 12-20-2018, 04:56 PM   #89
Thrawn

You're not bashing. I'm a fan of Dave's guitar style, and him dumbing down the chords in Raven and not playing Busted Stuff at all (eg) disappoint me too. Still a fan, though, y'know?

I'm not sure what you mean in this post, though. What part of Bartender are you referring to? I'm listening to the verse and it sounds like just snare to me.
Old 12-20-2018, 05:01 PM   #90
Tomacco

Granny in 2014-2016 sounded aggressive but to my ears the MSG one felt like it was back to normal again
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 05:16 PM   #91
Aparker507

7:15 you can see the bartender snare/ride thing. Nothing hugely different but those were the small things that just wowed me back when I found out about dmb

Old 12-20-2018, 05:31 PM   #92
gweeps

I loved what they did with Typical. MVP of the year for me.

But that GiG from the Gorge with Hamilton de Holanda is the best single performance in 2018.
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 06:01 PM   #93
Thrawn

Quote:
7:15 you can see the bartender snare/ride thing. Nothing hugely different but those were the small things that just wowed me back when I found out about dmb

Got it. Yeah, that is cool.
Old 12-20-2018, 07:39 PM   #94
mikelhu

Quote:
Another small thing I've noticed from Carter is he's ditched the quarter note on the ride from the snare rolls on songs like crash and bartender. That's one of his marching style drumming efforts with that single ride note thrown in I've always thought was incredible. Now it's gone.

Don't mean to come off as bashing the guy, but as a drummer who still is my drumming hero, it's not as fun watching things get dumbed down so much.
I’ve been around Carter on two occasions... one where we were staying at the same hotel years ago in Saratoga. We were walking in after the show and he was going in. He stopped and greeted us and then a hoard of other fans that were waiting there ran over. He actually spent a few mins out there which shocked me.

Another time was when we were literally walking down the street and his van pulled up to the stop light. A friend of mine started yelling his drum teachers name to Carter who I believe worked with Carter years prior. His name evades me right now but Carter actually told the driver to pull over and then proceeded to call my friend over. And my friend only. There was 4 of us lol They ended up talking on the side of the road about this guy for a good 5 mins and drumming in general. I’ll have to ask him the guys name now that it’s on my mind.

Last edited by mikelhu; 12-20-2018 at 08:18 PM.
mikelhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 09:10 PM   #95
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

I probably hear 1% of what Aparker hears, but I can definitely hear the dumbing down. It doesnít really bother me given his age. Maybe they should consider bringing a second drummer in. Two drummers sounded great with TAB.

But the thing that really fucking bugs me is how he spends entire songs thrashing on the cymbals. Itís just awful. I know heís trying to bring the energy but itís just noise. That and heís awful on Donít Drink
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 11:21 PM   #96
Aparker507

Those early 02 arena shows, His playing on DDTW is just amazing. I dunno if it's the arena sound or not, but his drumming and the kit during those shows is just unmatched.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:52 AM   #97
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Quote:
Those early 02 arena shows, His playing on DDTW is just amazing. I dunno if it's the arena sound or not, but his drumming and the kit during those shows is just unmatched.
No doubt. Iím talking about present day Donít Drink. Itís awful imo
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 08:57 AM   #98
Aparker507

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambourine Man View Post
No doubt. Iím talking about present day Donít Drink. Itís awful imo
Totally agree. It's just a China bash
Old 12-21-2018, 10:18 AM   #99
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

Dave Matthews Band 4.0

Quote:

And arenas in 03. That kit just had a way of commanding the room. So so good. I miss it. And he reallllly needs to ditch his left-hand china.
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 02:13 PM   #100
Huff
The Original Tracklist

Quote:

Granny, as you noted above, is the one I ALWAYS notice. It stands out completely on more recent versions, and doesn't sound as good as older versions IMO.

Operation Halloween 2008 = SUCCESS
Huff is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc