These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2018, 11:12 AM   #121
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by batleon View Post
I have to wonder what the sales are for your average LT release. I mean, how much of a sales difference is there between a fan favorite and a release like this? The situation with Fenway and 12/31/96 being released the same year sucks because you're comparing a show with a "big name" venue released in the wake of it being played with a fan favorite. It's a totally unfair comparison. Apples to Oranges. If Fenway were released now instead of then the numbers would probably suck.

Management needs to look at this thing again. Giving up on fan favorite shows because of what happened in 2006 is foolish.
I agree. And that's exactly what was told to management at the time. Their thinking was that there was a 3+ month gap between Fenway and 12/31/96, and they put a bit more effort into promoting 12/31/96 because it was a Holiday release.

I do somewhat agree with the idea that 12/31/96 could sell well because there was a solid three months between releases, but 12/31/96 is such a historic and legendary show for this fanbase that it almost shouldn't have mattered what else was released that year. Which is why I think it also has to do with the fanbase constantly changing and with those changes come different interests and tastes. 12/31/96 just didn't seem like an exciting official release vs Fenway which happened just 2 months before it's release. And I don't think you can say "well that's because it was so fresh on the minds of the fans" because GGP didn't sell as well as Fenway and that was released 3 months after it's performance.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:24 AM   #122
Bluewater34
Is Old

Wasn’t Fenway released to retail also? I mean, having a release that can just be discovered in a store as opposed to being deliberately sought out is going to boost its sales.

Unless I’m remembering that wrong, in which case ignore me.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:31 AM   #123
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
Starting in 2006 all the Live Trax releases were also store released along with online orders. That doesn't mean you could always find them easily, but 12/31/96 was sold here locally at Newbury Comics in early 2007.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:37 AM   #124
NiCK (Crush)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater34 View Post
Wasnít Fenway released to retail also? I mean, having a release that can just be discovered in a store as opposed to being deliberately sought out is going to boost its sales.

Unless Iím remembering that wrong, in which case ignore me.
Fenway was definitely sold in brick and mortar stores.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:15 PM   #125
blumathu

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiCK (Crush) View Post
Fenway was definitely sold in brick and mortar stores.
Yeah, I remember seeing it many times at Best Buy and such. I never saw 12.31.96 in a store.

I seem to recall seeing LT 13 in stores as well, but I could be wrong about that one.
blumathu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:26 PM   #126
NiCK (Crush)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumathu View Post
I seem to recall seeing LT 13 in stores as well, but I could be wrong about that one.
Busch Stadium? I believe so.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:09 PM   #127
greykitkat36

At this point though, all the major big time show choices have pretty much been released, that most fans and newer fans would care about. We want Giants Stadium Ď00, 12.3.98, 12.7.98. Some Ď97 shows and a bunch of Other ones that have been discussed, but aside from us on here, how many fans really would care any more about those shows than the ones being released? Iím not sure. I guess those Santana shows would get some buzz but other than that I donít see why management would see any show as a bad selection at this point.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:19 PM   #128
Thrawn
You can't take the sky from me

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean52692 View Post
Dave's lyrical messup in Drunken Soldier
This is really a classic

That last "shit" got me.
It's quite possible that if I catch you on a day you take a ghost shit where there's nothing to be wiped, the other 2 piles will smell much worse imo
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:34 PM   #129
batleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
At this point though, all the major big time show choices have pretty much been released, that most fans and newer fans would care about. We want Giants Stadium Ď00, 12.3.98, 12.7.98. Some Ď97 shows and a bunch of Other ones that have been discussed, but aside from us on here, how many fans really would care any more about those shows than the ones being released? Iím not sure. I guess those Santana shows would get some buzz but other than that I donít see why management would see any show as a bad selection at this point.
There are tons of good ideas in this thread:
[Only registered users can see links.]

I'd buy a lot of the shows suggested there.
batleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:38 PM   #130
Mersh

There are many "big time" shows yet to be released.
Mersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:24 PM   #131
dmb2much40

It’s too bad more recent shows are outselling some of the more classic shows. I’d be ok with them using dmb live for those, even though that series has been reserved for non-multi track shows. It seems they’ve forgotten about releasing shows through that series.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:29 PM   #132
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man

Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb2much40 View Post
Itís too bad more recent shows are outselling some of the more classic shows. Iíd be ok with them using dmb live for those, even though that series has been reserved for non-multi track shows. It seems theyíve forgotten about releasing shows through that series.
Are they, though? Do we know the numbers?
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:32 PM   #133
Thrawn

On the whole, looking back across all 45 of these, I'm really happy with the series. There are a few duds, but they're usually in the interest of representing a particular tour or moment (like DMB in Brazil, etc).

I'll admit that since I never listen to whole shows these days, I listen to my approximately year-by-year playlists of notable performances, that my perspective is a bit different - a Trax counts as a win for me if there are a few noteworthy performances that make one of my playlists distinctly better or more varied. But from that perspective, the only completely useless Trax releases for me are Trax 27 (10.14.10) and Trax 38 (6.8.96). I'll admit I also don't use much from Trax 4 (4.30.96), Trax 10 (5.25.07), Trax 42 (9.14.07) or Trax 43 (7.27.04) either.

This one, at least, has a bunch of weird shit on it. I'm using a bunch of songs off of this release for my 2013 list.
It's quite possible that if I catch you on a day you take a ghost shit where there's nothing to be wiped, the other 2 piles will smell much worse imo
Old 08-14-2018, 02:37 PM   #134
Thrawn

We definitely need another good 2000 show, though.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:40 PM   #135
Bluewater34
Is Old

38 really was a wasted release.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:43 PM   #136
Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrawn View Post
We definitely need another good 2000 show, though.
September needs a release

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater34 View Post
38 really was a wasted release.
Which was that? But yeah, many of them were a waste
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:46 PM   #137
Thrawn

The problem with 38 is really that 18 was so good. Every performance (which is most of them) that both of those releases share is clearly better on 18.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:53 PM   #138
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
September needs a release

Which was that? But yeah, many of them were a waste
Totally forgot about Sept Ď00 👍 And yeah there are still bunch of ďbig timeĒ releases left but I do think thereís a conscious effort to ďkeep them in the vaultĒ so they donít release all of them and have nothing truly great for us to look forward to.
Old 08-14-2018, 02:54 PM   #139
Mersh

You just got done saying it really doesn't matter what they release.
Mersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 02:54 PM   #140
greykitkat36

And donít forget we got 03.13.99 and 12.21.02 both back to back essentially and both are ďclassicĒ much sought after shows.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc