These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2019, 01:20 AM   #1
greykitkat36

DMB better in Arenas or Amps?

Was really refreshing to see the band in an arena again. They hadn’t done a tour like this since 2012 and I personally missed that fall tour, so for me it’s been a really long time and I really missed DMB in this environment. The energy, the intimacy of it, and the fact that it’s winter/fall. Before MSG this year, my last indoor show was CVille 25th and even that show didn’t have the same feel as a Winter/Fall indoor tour.

Yes they are a great summer shed band and that vibe has always been great, but I think some of their best shows ever were played in arenas—in terms of Setlist and energy. When we talk top shows of all time Winter ‘98 is thrown out a lot..prob the most shows in one tour that can be argued on that list. Winter ‘02 was really great. Overall, I don’t think there’s even been a DMB indoor US tour that we don’t find shows to really love. I personally like the fall indoor more and kind of want them to do more of them, even if that means cutting down some of the summer ones.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:46 AM   #2
Tomacco

I think one of the reasons we love winter arena tours so much is that the tours are always short. It’s easier to focus on and appreciate individual shows when you’re only getting 12 of them. Also, summer tours are a given, and winter ones are far rarer making them feel special.

That being said, I do enjoy the intimate feel of them.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:49 AM   #3
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man

Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

To me, it depends on the venue. I can’t say that one is better than the other with a broad brush.
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:53 AM   #4
greykitkat36

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
I think one of the reasons we love winter arena tours so much is that the tours are always short. It’s easier to focus on and appreciate individual shows when you’re only getting 12 of them. Also, summer tours are a given, and winter ones are far rarer making them feel special.

That being said, I do enjoy the intimate feel of them.
That’s a great point, they don’t happen that often so that rarity makes Us like them a lot for sure. This is why though I’ve been pushing for them to shorten their tours for years..just makes everything more special and the shows are better and more diverse and everyone is pleased
Old 01-14-2019, 09:27 AM   #5
FERRALL
I'm just trying to party.

I love both for different reasons. I really wouldn't want to give either up.
FERRALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 11:17 AM   #6
Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERRALL View Post
I love both for different reasons. I really wouldn't want to give either up.
Yeah, I can't choose- DMB at MSG and DMB outdoors on a summer night are both great for their own reasons. Can't pick one over the other.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:50 PM   #7
Mike VDH
Can we check the tweets Craig?

DMB in an arena in New Hampshire sucks compared to any DMB outdoor show I've attended. But I agree, I love seeing the band indoors, just need a better crowd to enjoy it more.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:05 PM   #8
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man

Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike VDH View Post
DMB in an arena in New Hampshire sucks compared to any DMB outdoor show I've attended. But I agree, I love seeing the band indoors, just need a better crowd to enjoy it more.
Yeah I'd imagine a show at MSG or JPJ brings a bit more heat than a show in Manchester or South Charleston.
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 02:06 PM   #9
NiCK (Crush)

Crowds are almost always better indoors in my experience for sure.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:21 PM   #10
mja271

I prefer outdoor. That's just how I fell in love with the band back in the day, seeing them outside on a nice summer evening hits the spot for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 02:25 PM   #11
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
Was really refreshing to see the band in an arena again. They hadn’t done a tour like this since 2012 and I personally missed that fall tour, so for me it’s been a really long time and I really missed DMB in this environment. The energy, the intimacy of it, and the fact that it’s winter/fall. Before MSG this year, my last indoor show was CVille 25th and even that show didn’t have the same feel as a Winter/Fall indoor tour.

Yes they are a great summer shed band and that vibe has always been great, but I think some of their best shows ever were played in arenas—in terms of Setlist and energy. When we talk top shows of all time Winter ‘98 is thrown out a lot..prob the most shows in one tour that can be argued on that list. Winter ‘02 was really great. Overall, I don’t think there’s even been a DMB indoor US tour that we don’t find shows to really love. I personally like the fall indoor more and kind of want them to do more of them, even if that means cutting down some of the summer ones.
Depends on the venue but SPAC will never be topped in my opinion. MSG back in the day was incredible but amphitheaters will always be tops in my mind. That goes for most bands in general I find these days. Back in 2000, I probably would have preferred a DMB arena show. There's really nothing like a summer night at an amphitheater. Especially when it's DMB.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:10 PM   #12
Feathered
oh shit!

Depends on the venue, though I generally enjoy amp/outdoor shows more than arenas. Back in 2002 on the spring tour they played MSG at the end of May (rescheduled to end of tour from mid April but still...) and it was kinda weird since it was butting into the summer season.

That being said I was super happy to have a winter run and getting the new MSG lighting experience was pretty sweet.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:05 PM   #13
willndmb

The one thing I can say was cool about arena shows was seeing people dancing being the band when they sold the entire place.
Watching carter go wild with fans cheering crazy behind him makes you smile as you can see the joy the band brings without taking your eyes off the stage
willndmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 11:20 PM   #14
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

I guess I prefer outdoor shows, but that lack of a lawn for indoor shows really weeds out a lot of douchebags
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 12:37 AM   #15
Mike VDH
Can we check the tweets Craig?

Quote:
Originally Posted by willndmb View Post
The one thing I can say was cool about arena shows was seeing people dancing being the band when they sold the entire place.
Watching carter go wild with fans cheering crazy behind him makes you smile as you can see the joy the band brings without taking your eyes off the stage
This. Love Listener Supported for many reasons, but this is definitely one. Loved being behind the stage for my D&F show as well.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:49 PM   #16
dmb1981

Nothing like the crowd going nuts behind Carter with the lights up during Boyd's Graves solos in '98.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:50 PM   #17
TDunk

amps
TDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:44 PM   #18
Feathered
oh shit!

Its weird that my first show of the "summer" tour is going to be in an arena.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc