These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2019, 11:26 AM   #1381
typsitch
setlist communist by necessity

They won't play the unheard gems off these sessions until they can capitalize on it with another hackjob album. At best, maybe one will pop out randomly live, probably due to Fonz begging. Which is a shame because there's a handful of tracks on these sessions that are more interesting than most of their albums after LWS/BS.
typsitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 12:44 PM   #1382
SeekUpAB

If Dave ever decides to listen to Stefan please let it be for something better than anything from these sessions.
SeekUpAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 03:51 PM   #1383
typsitch
setlist communist by necessity

If that means Monkey Man, sure. But don't sleep on these tracks. These sessions are from when Dave still had the naivety to be dark and creepy (IOY era) into the microphone, you know, before that meant "go down on you" 48 times. It's pre Dad Rock. It's great.
typsitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 08:20 PM   #1384
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man

Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by typsitch View Post
If that means Monkey Man, sure. But don't sleep on these tracks. These sessions are from when Dave still had the naivety to be dark and creepy (IOY era) into the microphone, you know, before that meant "go down on you" 48 times. It's pre Dad Rock. It's great.

That’s a good point.
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 08:42 PM   #1385
JamSession v2.0
dance dance revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by typsitch View Post

I like the dark themes he explored here. I wish they went somewhere. Fuckin' better than Hunger/SAWG/SU/Smooth Rider. Hands down.

And these tracks are so much more than "there's a riff, that's a song!" that was apparently going on just the previous year.
Old 03-09-2019, 11:50 PM   #1386
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Jimi Thing irritates me more than most of the Stand Up songs at this point
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:09 AM   #1387
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekUpAB View Post
If Dave ever decides to listen to Stefan please let it be for something better than anything from these sessions.

This
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:27 AM   #1388
pepelapag
You're Fuckin' Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayes View Post
Nor is the quality of material near as good #CaptainObvious
Yeah but what is? If they had actually finished LWS it might have been their best album yet, maybe even better than BTCS.

But there is a lot of material on The Batson Sessions that sounds like it has a ton of potential, and is easily a lot more interesting (in its infancy) than a majority of what has been released since Busted Stuff.

But ever since I read that vulture interview with Dave, it seems to me like he has this warped idea that DMB fans want the Everyday version of the band instead of the BTCS version of the band, and I disagree.

I’m curious to hear what the music for Halo of Stars sounds like, as he spoke of it as if it’s the kind of music he wants to be playing now.

Last edited by pepelapag; 03-10-2019 at 03:12 PM.
pepelapag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 11:50 AM   #1389
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

The Batson Sessions

You really think Batson would’ve pushed them to make that material as great as we are imagining it would’ve/might’ve been? that is some serious dreaming. It is likely he would’ve produced a more boring result than we got.
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 09:55 AM   #1390
MidwestDrummer
Next caller!

I like the way Dave's guitar sounds on Come On Come On on disc 2 a lot more than the way it sounds on CT. On the studio version it almost sounds like the guitar is layered with a violin.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:37 AM   #1391
DMBCLSTJ

I finally came around on Celebrate, damn thats a dark tune
Old 03-12-2019, 01:56 PM   #1392
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepelapag View Post
But ever since I read that vulture interview with Dave, it seems to me like he has this warped idea that DMB fans want the Everyday version of the band instead of the BTCS version of the band, and I disagree.
Can you please elaborate on this thought? How did the Vulture interview give you this impression? Thanks.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 05:35 PM   #1393
pepelapag
You're Fuckin' Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLaKaS View Post
Can you please elaborate on this thought? How did the Vulture interview give you this impression? Thanks.
Here are a couple quotes that caught my eye.

“And that kind of audience attention is very, very flattering because you know they’re not there for a party, which I happen to think Dave Matthews Band fans are — that’s what butters my bread. And that’s great, by the way. I’m glad to be able to give people a party.”

“That’s always the tension. Maybe you want to be a painter but to make money you do commercial art. Maybe you want to be a landscape photographer but for a career you take wedding photos. I’ll write a funky song about lust and sex and it makes you want to dance. I feel like that’s okay.”

On Halo of Stars music:

“I wasn’t answering to anything other than the act of making new music, and that music was made with pure intention.”

He then goes on to complain about AFTW being done, but then he was told to keep working on it.

So again, I might be misinterpreting him, but I get this sense that either Dave, the band, record label or management has an idea of the type of music the audience wants but it’s inaccurate. Since ED came out, the band has skewed more towards that type of record producing and songwriting, yet the band was at its most popular before ED was released.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:01 PM   #1394
bsan83
4, 3, 2, 1....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX View Post
Come On Come On was from these sessions.
If they revisited and finished Come On Come On, and returned Can't Stop to its form from that session, I think it's safe to assume that they at least looked at some others from that session as well.
bsan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:21 PM   #1395
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepelapag View Post
Here are a couple quotes that caught my eye.

ďAnd that kind of audience attention is very, very flattering because you know theyíre not there for a party, which I happen to think Dave Matthews Band fans are ó thatís what butters my bread. And thatís great, by the way. Iím glad to be able to give people a party.Ē

ďThatís always the tension. Maybe you want to be a painter but to make money you do commercial art. Maybe you want to be a landscape photographer but for a career you take wedding photos. Iíll write a funky song about lust and sex and it makes you want to dance. I feel like thatís okay.Ē

On Halo of Stars music:

ďI wasnít answering to anything other than the act of making new music, and that music was made with pure intention.Ē

He then goes on to complain about AFTW being done, but then he was told to keep working on it.

So again, I might be misinterpreting him, but I get this sense that either Dave, the band, record label or management has an idea of the type of music the audience wants but itís inaccurate. Since ED came out, the band has skewed more towards that type of record producing and songwriting, yet the band was at its most popular before ED was released.
holy shit, he truly is the middle aged rocker who doesn't give a shit. He's made up his mind that the band is his meal ticket until he retires instead of working for it anymore. Glad I'm only going to one show and wont after this.
ggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 07:27 PM   #1396
bsan83
4, 3, 2, 1....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggies View Post
holy shit, he truly is the middle aged rocker who doesn't give a shit. He's made up his mind that the band is his meal ticket until he retires instead of working for it anymore. Glad I'm only going to one show and wont after this.
I feel like you've been posting this exact post for the last decade or so.
bsan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:51 AM   #1397
sean52692
You failed this band

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsan83 View Post
I feel like you've been posting this exact post for the last decade or so.
It is beyond insufferable. Adds nothing to the conversation and beyond hashed out and old.
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:32 AM   #1398
batleon

Eh, ggies is that token guy. I'm OK with him posting that every so often because it makes me realize how ridiculous I sound when I think something similar

Also the "ggies has posted this exact same thing before" joke never gets old for me
batleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:56 AM   #1399
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by batleon View Post
Eh, ggies is that token guy. I'm OK with him posting that every so often because it makes me realize how ridiculous I sound when I think something similar

Also the "ggies has posted this exact same thing before" joke never gets old for me
cool cool. yeah, I shouldn't come over here and don't as often as I used to.....just get pulled back in when new things pop up.
ggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:20 AM   #1400
Mersh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean52692 View Post
It is beyond insufferable. Adds nothing to the conversation and beyond hashed out and old.
In all fairness, this is a DMB messageboard.
Mersh is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc