These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2018, 11:28 AM   #401
Huff
The Original Tracklist

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrock25 View Post
Seems like there's simply some discussion over the leak over there, same as here.
I think the bigger issue is the push notification to all of those with their app, and a front page story walking people through where to find the download conveniently right when it went up, drawing traffic to their site which generates ad revenue....ie, they indirectly profited off of the leak by driving traffic to their site with ads. That's, economically, how the band COULD see it, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batleon View Post
While I'm really enjoying this listen so far it does suck that we have a 12 year old demo leak - while Roi was still alive - and he is barely on it
The lack of Roi is definitely a downer to having so much material from that time, but then I also think back to Batson's posts when Come Tomorrow was being put together where he talked about coming in with tracks where Roi was playing and how heavy, yet awesome it was. Pair that with his statement after this leak about wishing we had heard the more finished versions, it makes me think we're seeing almost steps 2 and 3 (as the images of disc 3 make it look the oldest of the three) of a process that may have had 2 or even 3 more steps to it beyond what we have as "disc 2" in the mix. Meaning, added horns (not just Roi, but Rashawn as well), more polished production, etc. in those later demos.

Operation Halloween 2008 = SUCCESS
Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 11:31 AM   #402
batleon

So crazy to hear Gas Into Fire come back this way...
batleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 11:57 AM   #403
justink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
What are the odds of your buddies putting up the flacs for the two discs that have leaked already? I feel like there isn't much reason not to at this point.
I don’t know what buddies you’re referring to but I wouldn’t, and none of my friends would spend good money on a shady deal for some “Batson” stuff. Especially completely in the blind.

justink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 11:57 AM   #404
mattinmass
heady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huff View Post
I think the bigger issue is the push notification to all of those with their app, and a front page story walking people through where to find the download conveniently right when it went up, drawing traffic to their site which generates ad revenue....ie, they indirectly profited off of the leak by driving traffic to their site with ads. That's, economically, how the band COULD see it, anyway.

The lack of Roi is definitely a downer to having so much material from that time, but then I also think back to Batson's posts when Come Tomorrow was being put together where he talked about coming in with tracks where Roi was playing and how heavy, yet awesome it was. Pair that with his statement after this leak about wishing we had heard the more finished versions, it makes me think we're seeing almost steps 2 and 3 (as the images of disc 3 make it look the oldest of the three) of a process that may have had 2 or even 3 more steps to it beyond what we have as "disc 2" in the mix. Meaning, added horns (not just Roi, but Rashawn as well), more polished production, etc. in those later demos.
I think you are overestimating Batson's credibility as a primary source on this stuff...
mattinmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 12:00 PM   #405
Huff
The Original Tracklist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattinmass View Post
I think you are overestimating Batson's credibility as a primary source on this stuff...
I'm just referencing it in regard to the amount of Roi. His recent statements would seem to point to the notion that there are later versions with a decent amount of Roi involvement. That wouldn't surprise me at all.

Operation Halloween 2008 = SUCCESS
Huff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 12:17 PM   #406
Caveat Emperor
The Flyin' Lions

Disc Golf Champion! Flash Poker Champion! Super Mario Flash HV Champion! Whammy Champion!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huff View Post
I'm just referencing it in regard to the amount of Roi. His recent statements would seem to point to the notion that there are later versions with a decent amount of Roi involvement. That wouldn't surprise me at all.
My "Behind the Scenes History of DMB" knowledge has never been great, but isn't it commonly thought that these sessions are the ones that went so poorly that the band nearly broke up -- where Roi had to basically step to Dave and tell him to lead his fucking band?

Quote:
What's this about 'extended delay?' Hardened boarders know TDC was only down for two days: the day it went down, and the day it went back up.
Caveat Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 12:23 PM   #407
justink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
My "Behind the Scenes History of DMB" knowledge has never been great, but isn't it commonly thought that these sessions are the ones that went so poorly that the band nearly broke up -- where Roi had to basically step to Dave and tell him to lead his fucking band?
Don’t quote me but I think so. Roi basically almost quit, right? Could be a reason he’s not on these.
justink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 12:52 PM   #408
Mersh

I am a little surprised at how well received much of this stuff is here.
Mersh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 12:56 PM   #409
batleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
In relation to their best stuff? Yeah, of course not.

In relation to what they've done in the 12 years since these sessions? This is decent.

Overall: this is pretty good music on it's own IMO but definitely very different from their past prime so I can see where your mileage may vary.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:57 PM   #410
Caveat Emperor
The Flyin' Lions

Disc Golf Champion! Flash Poker Champion! Super Mario Flash HV Champion! Whammy Champion!
Quote:
I said it on the other thread, but it's refreshing to hear material that isn't about Dave's fucking kids.

Quote:
What's this about 'extended delay?' Hardened boarders know TDC was only down for two days: the day it went down, and the day it went back up.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:02 PM   #411
DMBCLSTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
I said it on the other thread, but it's refreshing to hear material that isn't about Dave's fucking kids.
Yeah, I'd rather hear him talking about murdering his wife's cheater.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:03 PM   #412
DMBCLSTJ

Quote:
There are about 5 strong/good ideas or songs out of the stuff we haven't heard but nothing groundbreaking.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:06 PM   #413
Caveat Emperor
The Flyin' Lions

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBCLSTJ View Post
There are about 5 strong/good ideas or songs out of the stuff we haven't heard but nothing groundbreaking.
Sure.

But you combine that with some combination of Break Free, #27, Can't Stop, Shotgun, Idea of You and Come On and you're now 90% of the way to a decent album.

That's the mind blowing fact here, given the state of the band in '05-'06.

Quote:
Old 10-15-2018, 01:08 PM   #414
NiCK (Crush)

It's clear to me that they were making an effort to get away from the Stand Up sound that was so polarizing.

There are definitely flashes of it (that first attempt at IOY is fucking awful) but aside from that I feel like they could have released a followup that was received about as well as Come Tomorrow just was.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:10 PM   #415
batleon

I don't even think that was an "attempt" at IoY, it was probably "just lay something down to start" and we are hearing something that was never meant for consumption. I'm sure the raw, original format of many of our favorites didn't sound great either.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:11 PM   #416
NiCK (Crush)

That's probably fair.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:12 PM   #417
NiCK (Crush)

I find myself going back to Blackjack quite a bit. I can't believe I'm saying this, but there could be something there.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:12 PM   #418
NiCK (Crush)

Also, the outro on the disc 2 Come On Come On is great.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:15 PM   #419
Caveat Emperor
The Flyin' Lions

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiCK (Crush) View Post
I find myself going back to Blackjack quite a bit. I can't believe I'm saying this, but there could be something there.
If there is a "there" on this song, Dave apparently never found it -- given that it debuted live in pretty much the exact same condition as it was left on these recordings.

It and Red Glare are the two most obvious "he has a great idea, but no idea what the fuck to do with it..." tracks on this leak.

Quote:
Old 10-15-2018, 01:25 PM   #420
Mitch

I need to give this a listen. Pleasantly surprised by how positive the responses are.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc