These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 03:33 PM   #161
mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huff View Post
I have never, until this post, heard this version. Everything, back to the beginning of the album with Lillywhite, was widely discussed as the band going in to record old songs that had been played live, but never put onto an album, and that it took a creative turn right at the outset when they met with Steve, opting instead to go with the new music that we ended up getting. I seriously never heard anything about Dave meeting with Steve and then adding the band in (except, that is, when it came to Everyday & Glen Ballard...that's almost dead-on the "known" story surrounding that album and how it all went down...right down to Carter saying "we got charts for this one" in a video, holding up sheet music)
My vague memory is the story was Lillywhite went to a D+T show in like November and met with Dave after and they planned to record a the live songs, Lillywhite got live recordings and did some prep work and then when they got to the studio Dave had a couple new ideas (which we now know had been kicking around in his head for years) and they ended up never recording the Live tunes at all.

Old 01-17-2018, 04:03 PM   #162
dancetheham

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBeam41 View Post
6/22
Ah, I overlooked that one. I think that or 7/6 seems most likely.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:24 PM   #163
JustinC

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
Went into the studio in late 2000 with a bunch of road tested songs, zero made the album
Went into the studio in late 2004 with a bunch of road tested songs, one made the album
Went into the studio in 2011/2012 with the idea of recording a bunch of songs that had been road-tested and decided not to do that, zero made the album

You have a lot of assumptions that might be true, but why would you think this would be one when every time we think we're getting road-tested songs, we don't.
Went into the studio early 2007 with a handful of road test songs from the '06 summer tour, sessions aborted and the album completely scrapped
Old 01-17-2018, 04:51 PM   #164
mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huff View Post
I have never, until this post, heard this version. Everything, back to the beginning of the album with Lillywhite, was widely discussed as the band going in to record old songs that had been played live, but never put onto an album, and that it took a creative turn right at the outset when they met with Steve, opting instead to go with the new music that we ended up getting. I seriously never heard anything about Dave meeting with Steve and then adding the band in (except, that is, when it came to Everyday & Glen Ballard...that's almost dead-on the "known" story surrounding that album and how it all went down...right down to Carter saying "we got charts for this one" in a video, holding up sheet music)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
My vague memory is the story was Lillywhite went to a D+T show in like November and met with Dave after and they planned to record a the live songs, Lillywhite got live recordings and did some prep work and then when they got to the studio Dave had a couple new ideas (which we now know had been kicking around in his head for years) and they ended up never recording the Live tunes at all.

Dave's words, which, grain of salt for sure:
"(at first) Steve had this desire to record songs we had (stockpiled) over the past 20 years that we never recorded," Matthews said. "There are, like, 50 of them. I don't know how many we've played live, maybe 15, but I was excited about working with Steve (again). Everyone was, but I didn't want to take a bunch of old songs with Steve; I wanted to make a new record.

"I think we thought it would be a very quick project with someone who does it lovingly. [...] Then I wrote a new record and the band helped me shade it and turn it into this album, and no small part of that was Steve.
[Only registered users can see links.]

Old 01-17-2018, 05:06 PM   #165
NiCK (Crush)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb1981 View Post
Seems like they've been putting the "finishing touches" on it for a couple years..
They've never once said "finishing touches" until now.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:33 PM   #166
Tomacco

Apparently Coran has been calling fans who have been complaining about Alpine and ticket prices to him. Says the new album has some songs we’ve heard before and some we haven’t.

[Only registered users can see links.]
Old 01-17-2018, 06:43 PM   #167
NiCK (Crush)

I guess that seems legit. Cool if true.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:21 PM   #168
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
Can anyone post the bullet points? Banned over there and can't see it as a guest.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:29 PM   #169
NiCK (Crush)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
Can anyone post the bullet points? Banned over there and can't see it as a guest.
*He 100% understands the fans passion for Alpine Valley and why it's been such a hot button topic. He's been at the shows there over the years and he gets it and he, and the band, share in our passion. He specifically referenced being there in '08 when the crowd refused to leave and wouldn't stop singing 'Thank You'. He talked about how he's been going to Alpine Valley to see shows since long before DMB even existed. He talked about seeing the Dead there in the 80's. He said "I've slept at Alpine Valley, and not in a hotel and not in a tour bus." We also talked briefly about Deer Creek, how he feels that is also a special spot for the band and how he remembers going to shows there 'Back when it was still called that and they had bungee jumping at the venue.'

*Alpine was absolutely discussed this year (as Chad mentioned from his call with Patrick.) He referenced that he thinks about how a lot of the fan base is getting older and might not be willing or able to travel as much as they used to, and he talked about 'convenience' quite a bit. He pointed out that while many fans love to travel, there's also a lot of fans in Chicago that don't, and it's been 4 years since they played in Chicago proper. When Summerfest came up, it presented the opportunity to do that again and they felt after the year off, this allowed them to try and make as many people happy as possible and play Chicago while still being able to play Milwaukee as well.

*He stressed that this in no way means the band will not go back to Alpine, and continually emphasized that this was just the way they decided to do things *this year.* He didn't obviously commit to anything specific as far as when, but did say "We will go back to Alpine."

*He was very passionate in wanting people to understand that it isn't simply all about money. He talked about all the benefits Dave does and referenced several recent examples. While obviously finances play a role, the decision to do Summerfest/Northerly x2 this year wasn't simply motivated by wanting to squeeze every last dollar, but also making going to see the band convenient (there's that word again...) for as many people as they could, and they felt it was the right thing to do this year after a year off and 4 years since their last show in Chicago. He seemed saddened (but also understanding) that people think it's about greed or about trying to put money above the experience of the band's fans.

*At several points he was very contrite and after getting all the strong feedback he said (paraphrasing here) "You know what? Maybe we made the wrong call. Maybe we should have done things differently. I can't do anything about it now, but we hear the feedback and we understand. We listen to it, we hear the fans and we will take all this to heart for next year."

*We also talked about the ticket price increase. He understands the initial reaction, but he feels the prices are fair based on the current market for concerts and the fact that the tickets include a copy of the new album. He pointed out that prices for lawn seats were kept basically flat despite the inclusion of the new CD, and those seats make up the largest chunk of tickets purchased. The decision to bump the price of the pit and lower reserved seats up by $20 was driven in part by the album being included, but also by the effects of the secondary market and the fact that those tickets are the most frequently re-sold for prices far beyond face value and the band doesn't see any of that money. He pointed out that even with the increase he feels the prices are still on the lower end for comparable acts - he referenced Justin Timberlake tickets being $105 for the cheapest seats, and Dead & Company tickets being $149 to start for the cheapest seats this year.

*He talked pretty emotionally about how he wants people to be positive. He wants people to be excited about the band coming back after a year off and with a new record that he thinks everyone will love. He hopes the band is energized after the year off and he hopes the fans are too. He doesn't want people to let the choice in venues sour their experience or ruin their excitement for a new album and tour. He said he was at the D&T shows in Mexico and it made him excited to get back out on the road this year.

* We touched briefly on the new record. He's excited about it and he said it was going to include "Some songs you may have heard already, and maybe some you haven't." He said they were putting together some great packages and mentioned a vinyl release.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:45 PM   #170
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
Well, it's interesting that he took the time to call this random dude and lay it out.

It made more sense from a $ standpoint to do Milwaukee + 2 Chicago, but it's a big time bummer.

Maybe we'll get a show in 19. For now, I'll do one or two in CO and that'll more than suffice.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:05 PM   #171
SeekUpAB

If I email him about Rashawn being a cancer, will he call me to discuss?
Old 01-17-2018, 08:39 PM   #172
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekUpAB View Post
I don’t care about ticket prices or Alpine, I wish they’d dump this asshole.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:43 PM   #173
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekUpAB View Post
Old 01-17-2018, 09:00 PM   #174
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Anybody have Coran’s email?
Old 01-17-2018, 09:26 PM   #175
willndmb

The ticket price is all bs no matter how you cut it imo.
"He" ( I say that because I'm not convinced the call is true) can reference JT and whatnot but why and how are Phish tickets so reasonable compared to DMB and others?
If the want cost down, it can be down.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:30 PM   #176
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambourine Man View Post
I don’t care about ticket prices or Alpine, I wish they’d dump this asshole.
. Can't stand the guy.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:27 PM   #177
mario

Lol at timberlake and dead and company being dmb comparables.

I'm looking at the summerr lineup for Camden, and the two closest comps for dmb are Foo fighters and zac brown.

Old 01-17-2018, 11:12 PM   #178
Tomacco

Pretty sure Foo Fighters are charging the same as DMB this year.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:31 PM   #179
greykitkat36

Can someone just find out the track listing for this already, I need to know if there’s any totally unheard songs on it or not.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:09 AM   #180
willndmb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
Pretty sure Foo Fighters are charging the same as DMB this year.
Imo you also have to look at tour stats
Dmb can't charge as much as many bands because they tour so often.
Bands that don't tour as often or as many dates in a tour can get away charging more because people say if I don't give now I might not get to go at all.
Anyone who knows anything about dmb knows that's not the case.
Hell within a four(ish) hr drive I have 9 shows. FF are doing 12 shows and 1 is within
Closed Thread

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc