Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 09:04 AM   #141
blumathu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggies View Post
Two things:

1) With how the physical format has slowly disappeared over the years, they could easily have a longer album

2) Which could make sense if Dave still holds the idea from awhile ago that "albums" are done and then they could just have one release with new and older songs on it if digitally spread....
I doubt they'll abandon the physical media format just yet, but I wouldn't mind a double album. Give me a disc of old tunes and a disc of new tunes.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:31 AM   #142
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumathu View Post
I doubt they'll abandon the physical media format just yet, but I wouldn't mind a double album. Give me a disc of old tunes and a disc of new tunes.
Yeah, obviously they aren't yet, so they could keep 12 songs or whatever on that, but have more on the digital one. People need to let go of the terms "double album", "side 1/side 2", "disc 1/disc 2" in the digital age. Now, I'm not saying add 30 songs, but everyone could be happy if they just put together a bunch of old and new.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:40 AM   #143
greppson
Hmm...

Release the "new album" free with ticket sales.
Then, release the deluxe edition which includes outtakes of older songs (like the 04 and 06 songs, etc.).

We will all end up buying this twice in the end I bet--once through ticket sales and once standalone.

Old 01-17-2018, 10:49 AM   #144
mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEyedIdiot View Post
ants. I had the same screen name there and had been on their site for 15 years.
This is not helping your credibility...

Old 01-17-2018, 11:08 AM   #145
Thor2531
I Fucked NAKEDdmbLauren

Great to have someone with inside info considering Derek33 went MIA.
Old 01-17-2018, 12:00 PM   #146
celluloid hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by priceofacoke910 View Post
I was beginning to think I was the only person to like AFTW. Definitely more cohesive. Why he fuck does it matter if it has a formulated # of upbeat songs vs mellow. The songwriting (especially lyrics) on most of it is top notch and is really well produced. Whoever said "Lillywhite couldn't even polish that turd" really boggles my mind. That album from start to finish is a complete album consisting of a wide range of songs. Belly Full is one of my favorites.....but I love the mellowness of the album in general. Really reminds me of the mood for Busted Stuff.
I love Away From the World still. I listen to it probably monthly. It is definitely cohesive and I like almost all the songs individually and collectively. I'm not a big of Big Whiskey. It has some highlights, but the rest of it isn't great and once I get past Alligator Pie & Spaceman (which I love studio and don't care much for live), the rest of it is not much better than any run on Everyday and Stand Up.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:00 PM   #147
BrokenThings
FestivalFootprints.com

Away From The World was a bit weak...
Old 01-17-2018, 01:12 PM   #148
dancetheham

Guesses for release date?

Dates that seem possible are 5/18, 7/6, 9/7, and 9/14. I assume 5/18 is too quick, but the July date is right after a short break in the tour that would allow them to do a TV show or two in New York, and the September dates put them near LA for shows out there. It could also be during the month break in the tour, but that doesn't seem as likely to me.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:15 PM   #149
NiCK (Crush)

I think earlier rather than later.

"Finishing touches" sounds like they are close. Unless I have a poor understanding of what "putting the finishing touches" on something means.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:26 PM   #150
Steveo Style

I expect it out before the tour starts
Old 01-17-2018, 01:41 PM   #151
Bluewater34
Is Old

I can’t think of any reason they wouldn’t put it out the first day of the tour. I’d say the fact that they’re ending the ticket tie-in the day before points in that direction.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:54 PM   #152
Klooner

So:

It's unclear if this LP had a true, veteran producer behind the board -- even if for some of the process.

The band may well have tried to produce this themselves with the help of some engineers.

The album quite possibly has been built piecemeal over the course of four or five sessions spread out from 2015-17.

It seems 75 percent of the record, at least, will be filled with hit-or-miss songs that have already been played live in the past 2-4 years.

No title.

No tracklist.

No release date.

The teasing art is a black rhino.

Expectations on this thing are at ankle-level. I'm fascinated to hear what this will sound like if Cavallo was not running knobs on this. I've been under the impression he was the one who got the call for it.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:57 PM   #153
celluloid hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klooner View Post
So:

It seems 75 percent of the record, at least, will be filled with hit-or-miss songs that have already been played live in the past 2-4 years.
Went into the studio in late 2000 with a bunch of road tested songs, zero made the album
Went into the studio in late 2004 with a bunch of road tested songs, one made the album
Went into the studio in 2011/2012 with the idea of recording a bunch of songs that had been road-tested and decided not to do that, zero made the album

You have a lot of assumptions that might be true, but why would you think this would be one when every time we think we're getting road-tested songs, we don't.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:04 PM   #154
JimBeam41

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancetheham View Post
Guesses for release date?
6/22
Old 01-17-2018, 02:04 PM   #155
Klooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
Went into the studio in late 2000 with a bunch of road tested songs, zero made the album
Went into the studio in late 2004 with a bunch of road tested songs, one made the album
Went into the studio in 2011/2012 with the idea of recording a bunch of songs that had been road-tested and decided not to do that, zero made the album

You have a lot of assumptions that might be true, but why would you think this would be one when every time we think we're getting road-tested songs, we don't.
I was going off this new guy posting in the thread in here. Very much grain-of-salt, to be clear. Reckless speculation just to pass the time.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:36 PM   #156
Huff
The Original Tracklist

Quote:
Originally Posted by priceofacoke910 View Post
I was beginning to think I was the only person to like AFTW. Definitely more cohesive. Why he fuck does it matter if it has a formulated # of upbeat songs vs mellow. The songwriting (especially lyrics) on most of it is top notch and is really well produced. Whoever said "Lillywhite couldn't even polish that turd" really boggles my mind. That album from start to finish is a complete album consisting of a wide range of songs. Belly Full is one of my favorites.....but I love the mellowness of the album in general. Really reminds me of the mood for Busted Stuff.
Not at all. I love the album and it gets a pretty regular play (ie, start to finish play) from me. Only R2T, UTTAD, Crash & BTCS get that from me as far as DMB goes. The other albums only get highlight reel plays, when songs I don't like only get the pleasure of being played when I hit "shuffle all" on DMB on my phone and just don't skip a song I don't care for if it happens to pop up because I hadn't heard in awhile or whatever.

Big Whiskey is one of such highlight reel albums. It's odd. There are even SOME songs on there that I enjoy live, but don't care for the studio cut (looking at you Why I Am) because the studio cut feels off for some reason or another (WIA feels hollow on the studio cut, then more fleshed out live)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greppson View Post
Release the "new album" free with ticket sales.
Then, release the deluxe edition which includes outtakes of older songs (like the 04 and 06 songs, etc.).

We will all end up buying this twice in the end I bet--once through ticket sales and once standalone.
I absolutely see this happening. Then if you pre-order that other copy, an even MORE deluxe, deluxe version.

Operation Halloween 2008 = SUCCESS
Old 01-17-2018, 03:00 PM   #157
mario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater34 View Post
I can’t think of any reason they wouldn’t put it out the first day of the tour. I’d say the fact that they’re ending the ticket tie-in the day before points in that direction.
They would not put it out first day of tour if Beyonce or Arianna Grande or Nicki Minaj or Migos or Celine Dion announce a new album is coming out that day.

(All names taken from this billboard article of expected 2018 releases: [Only registered users can see links.] )

Old 01-17-2018, 03:12 PM   #158
gweeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
They would not put it out first day of tour if Beyonce or Arianna Grande or Nicki Minaj or Migos or Celine Dion announce a new album is coming out that day.

(All names taken from this billboard article of expected 2018 releases: [Only registered users can see links.] )
Man, I'm so out of the loop of popular music these days. Some new Vampire Weekend would be good though.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:15 PM   #159
dmb1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiCK Crush View Post
I think earlier rather than later.

"Finishing touches" sounds like they are close. Unless I have a poor understanding of what "putting the finishing touches" on something means.
Seems like they've been putting the "finishing touches" on it for a couple years..
Old 01-17-2018, 03:23 PM   #160
Huff
The Original Tracklist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEyedIdiot View Post
I'm not disagreeing with you. But from what I am told, that is the batch that you can expect to hear from. Dave apparently falls out with songs very quickly. For instance, Shotgun. I love that song. They tried to make it work back in 07 with Batson. He said it was one of the most dynamic pieces he laid down with DMB. By 2012 it was done, because Steve told me that he never got to record Shotgun. And in addition to that, he said that going into AFTW, the plan was to record songs that the band that been doing live but had not yet recorded. This flew in the face the story that is circulated, which was that Dave basically showed up with some songs and had Steve just add the band in. The initial idea was to record all these old pieces, and Dave opted not to and went for new tracks.
I have never, until this post, heard this version. Everything, back to the beginning of the album with Lillywhite, was widely discussed as the band going in to record old songs that had been played live, but never put onto an album, and that it took a creative turn right at the outset when they met with Steve, opting instead to go with the new music that we ended up getting. I seriously never heard anything about Dave meeting with Steve and then adding the band in (except, that is, when it came to Everyday & Glen Ballard...that's almost dead-on the "known" story surrounding that album and how it all went down...right down to Carter saying "we got charts for this one" in a video, holding up sheet music)

Operation Halloween 2008 = SUCCESS
Closed Thread

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc