These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 01:16 AM   #121
greykitkat36

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEyedIdiot View Post
All I know is that someone with knowledge of the process told me a while back Cavallo had been gone and it had pretty much been DMB piecing the thing together and trying to self produce with some engineers. As far as the track list, some of the new batch had been laid down years back. The only one that I was told had a shot from the older pieces were Sugar Will. Not even Shotgun. Mark Batson told me he produced a Shotgun track, so they were trying a decade ago to get that one right.
Very interesting, thanks for sharing, yeah shotgun was definitely recorded at one point back win Batson. The fact they are self producing and putting it together suddenly makes me a hell of a lot more interested than I was thatís for sure. That could also explain why itís taken them so long because theyíve never done that before. However. That could mean it may be even worse than the worst of us anticipate
Old 01-17-2018, 01:17 AM   #122
BigEyedRumblings

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
Do You Remember
Be Yourself
Bob Law
Bismarck
Samurai Cop
Virginia In The Rain
Death On The High Seas
Here On Out
Plastic Girl
Black And Bluebird

Those are all the ďnewĒ songs weíve heard or been aware about and thatís already 10 songs. We could be looking at that plus only likev1-2 other ones weíve never heard. And thatís brutal because itís anti-climactic. Some of those have been around for almost 3 years now and we know not only what they sound like but also what they will become loveónot very much.
I'm not disagreeing with you. But from what I am told, that is the batch that you can expect to hear from. Dave apparently falls out with songs very quickly. For instance, Shotgun. I love that song. They tried to make it work back in 07 with Batson. He said it was one of the most dynamic pieces he laid down with DMB. By 2012 it was done, because Steve told me that he never got to record Shotgun. And in addition to that, he said that going into AFTW, the plan was to record songs that the band that been doing live but had not yet recorded. This flew in the face the story that is circulated, which was that Dave basically showed up with some songs and had Steve just add the band in. The initial idea was to record all these old pieces, and Dave opted not to and went for new tracks.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:23 AM   #123
greykitkat36

Quote:
I'm not disagreeing with you. But from what I am told, that is the batch that you can expect to hear from. Dave apparently falls out with songs very quickly. For instance, Shotgun. I love that song. They tried to make it work back in 07 with Batson. He said it was one of the most dynamic pieces he laid down with DMB. By 2012 it was done, because Steve told me that he never got to record Shotgun. And in addition to that, he said that going into AFTW, the plan was to record songs that the band that been doing live but had not yet recorded. This flew in the face the story that is circulated, which was that Dave basically showed up with some songs and had Steve just add the band in. The initial idea was to record all these old pieces, and Dave opted not to and went for new tracks.
Yeah that bit about AFTW was confirmed in an interview Dave did back last year in some magazine. Thatís why most of us had been thinking that maybe even this recent new batch was scratched. But it appears thatís not the case.

ďat Batson saying ď Shotgin is one of the most dynamic pieces I ever recorded with DMBĒ ówell thatís not saying too much now is it?
Old 01-17-2018, 01:27 AM   #124
mja271

Just give me all new songs. If it's Bob Law, Bismarck, Samurai Cop, Virginia, etc my interest is severely diminished. We already know all those songs and it dulls the excitement of hearing new studio material for the first time in 6 years. Especially since personally I don't care for most of those songs at all. It'd just be funny to me that this batch would be the one to get recorded and released after like 15 years of ignoring road tested material on albums.
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:27 AM   #125
Tomacco

A new album with only a couple unheard songs sounds pretty unexciting. The last two albums were entirely fresh. Also, the most recent batch of songs is in need of a couple more lively fun songs. Bismarck and Bob Law are the closest. The rest are pretty quiet and earnest.
That being said, I feel like studio versions of B&BB, Virginia, and DOTHS would help them.
Old 01-17-2018, 01:30 AM   #126
BigEyedRumblings

Quote:
Originally Posted by greykitkat36 View Post
Yeah that bit about AFTW was confirmed in an interview Dave did back last year in some magazine. Thatís why most of us had been thinking that maybe even this recent new batch was scratched. But it appears thatís not the case.

ďat Batson saying ď Shotgin is one of the most dynamic pieces I ever recorded with DMBĒ ówell thatís not saying too much now is it?
Mark is a really good guy, but he just wasn't a good fit with the band's sound, even though a few members of the band would probably prefer to have him produce again. I'm personally hoping that they did find a producer and didn't self produce this thing. The vibe that I have gotten is that is thing has been a work in progress that has been pieced together and tracked together over three years. If that is the case, I don't hold out a lot of hope for it being great. I personally enjoyed Cavallo on Big Whiskey. Steve will always be the best producer for the band imo, but AFTW showed that not even Steve can polish a turd, the song writing was that bad. Cavallo's album has a much higher replay ability.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:09 AM   #127
greykitkat36

Quote:
Mark is a really good guy, but he just wasn't a good fit with the band's sound, even though a few members of the band would probably prefer to have him produce again. I'm personally hoping that they did find a producer and didn't self produce this thing. The vibe that I have gotten is that is thing has been a work in progress that has been pieced together and tracked together over three years. If that is the case, I don't hold out a lot of hope for it being great. I personally enjoyed Cavallo on Big Whiskey. Steve will always be the best producer for the band imo, but AFTW showed that not even Steve can polish a turd, the song writing was that bad. Cavallo's album has a much higher replay ability.
You hit everything spot on. Couldn’t have said it better. 100% agree. Can’t believe certain members would want Batson back after the backlash of Stand Up that happened. Also, no idea why they even thought a hip/hop producer would work for their sound at all. Just a bad move from the start imo. Batson produced a Grace Potter album too, which I also think is horrible and one her worst. He’s just not a great rock producer, not from what I’ve heard at least.

And totally agree that songwriting is the main culprit. Big Whiskey is such a much more exciting and dynamic, entertaining and energetic album to listen to start to finish but more so because the songs were better and more balanced. AFTW has way too many slow and mellow songs on it for sure. Broken Things, BBN and Rooftop are pretty much the only upbeat ones on the entire thing. The Producer is mainly there to enhance and you can only enhance so much. I mean the whole middle chunk of the album is basically just Dave playing solo for Christ sakes.

I thought Steve Harris was the best producer for this band and Dave. Busted Stuff and Some Devil are in my top albums from this band and right behind the big 3. The writing was better, but he did a great job bringing those out. If LWS never leaked, people would like BS much more than they do because it wouldn’t be compared.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:44 AM   #128
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Quote:
All I know is that someone with knowledge of the process told me a while back Cavallo had been gone and it had pretty much been DMB piecing the thing together and trying to self produce with some engineers. As far as the track list, some of the new batch had been laid down years back. The only one that I was told had a shot from the older pieces were Sugar Will. Not even Shotgun. Mark Batson told me he produced a Shotgun track, so they were trying a decade ago to get that one right.
I recruited this person from Ants after a Jake meltdown and believe this info to be legit
Old 01-17-2018, 06:47 AM   #129
kramer73
Reynolds-style

I didn't see it posted (though I may have missed it), but London Bridge Studios posted on facebook that a portion of the album was recorded there.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:50 AM   #130
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

The missing piece is likely lyrics, it always works out that way. Also Cavallo was awful at working with Boyd/Roi/Jeff and I expect this one to be no different. Dave, Tim, Carter and canned horns
Old 01-17-2018, 07:24 AM   #131
priceofacoke910
The Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayer22 View Post
Big Whiskey was a more ambitious attempt interrupted by Rois death but I much prefer AFTW. Much better album and more cohesive all the way through.
I was beginning to think I was the only person to like AFTW. Definitely more cohesive. Why he fuck does it matter if it has a formulated # of upbeat songs vs mellow. The songwriting (especially lyrics) on most of it is top notch and is really well produced. Whoever said "Lillywhite couldn't even polish that turd" really boggles my mind. That album from start to finish is a complete album consisting of a wide range of songs. Belly Full is one of my favorites.....but I love the mellowness of the album in general. Really reminds me of the mood for Busted Stuff.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:46 AM   #132
gweeps

Some of the production value of Big Whiskey still irks me.

-Why I Am should sound buoyant, instead it's flat.

-Baby Blue should have stayed solo a la the unmastered version. Roi told Dave to be careful not to add to much to the song. I think even the strings are more than what was needed.

-I don't like the editing of the outro to Lying in the Hands of God. I love the jammy feeling to it in the unmastered version. Plus, I don't feel the organ part is needed.

There are a couple other minor quibbles. But I don't dislike the album. I see as the best result of a tumultuous time in their history.

Too bad some of the Little Red Bird e.p. couldn't have fit, at least Write a Song because that has Roi playing on it. You can see him working out his part for it in one of the promo clips.

Last edited by gweeps; 01-17-2018 at 08:19 AM.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:04 AM   #133
Tomacco

If this album was pieces together from old stuff, do we discount what Dave said in late summer about how him and Carter had been working on a bunch of new songs and they had been really productive together?
Old 01-17-2018, 08:09 AM   #134
gweeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
If this album was pieces together from old stuff, do we discount what Dave said in late summer about how him and Carter had been working on a bunch of new songs and they had been really productive together?
Probably not. Let's not forget that Dave has said they've always had live only songs.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:14 AM   #135
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by priceofacoke910 View Post
I was beginning to think I was the only person to like AFTW. Definitely more cohesive. Why he fuck does it matter if it has a formulated # of upbeat songs vs mellow. The songwriting (especially lyrics) on most of it is top notch and is really well produced. Whoever said "Lillywhite couldn't even polish that turd" really boggles my mind. That album from start to finish is a complete album consisting of a wide range of songs. Belly Full is one of my favorites.....but I love the mellowness of the album in general. Really reminds me of the mood for Busted Stuff.
Big Whiskey is garbage. I’d put Snow Outside and Broken Things up against Busted Stuff. They could hold their own, nothing on Big Whiskey could. Rooftop is also extremely underrated. It’s awful copy/paste songwriting with beyond cheesy lyrics
Old 01-17-2018, 08:22 AM   #136
bassplayer22

Quote:
Originally Posted by priceofacoke910 View Post
Yeah same here. I think itís s very solid album and I think the songs overall save for maybe 1 or 2 are leagues better than BW. Boyd has slot of nice moments as well whereas on BW he is completely absent.

Steve Harris did great work on SD. Would like to see him get a shot again sometime.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:25 AM   #137
gweeps

Drunken Soldier
Old 01-17-2018, 08:42 AM   #138
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Two things:

1) With how the physical format has slowly disappeared over the years, they could easily have a longer album

2) Which could make sense if Dave still holds the idea from awhile ago that "albums" are done and then they could just have one release with new and older songs on it if digitally spread....
Old 01-17-2018, 08:54 AM   #139
priceofacoke910
The Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassplayer22 View Post
Yeah same here. I think itís s very solid album and I think the songs overall save for maybe 1 or 2 are leagues better than BW. Boyd has slot of nice moments as well whereas on BW he is completely absent.

Steve Harris did great work on SD. Would like to see him get a shot again sometime.
I love the chances he did with stuff. Even Stay or Leave turned out good! I love the sound on Grey Blue Eyes. Reminds me a little of the recording of Long, Long, Long on The White Album.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:03 AM   #140
d.m.bfan222
Nothing beats BTCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by typsitch View Post
Sugar will is an empty husk of its former self, don't even want it on the album. Crazy easy seemed pretty finalized a few years ago - that could be a pleasant surprise.
Yeah, Crazy Easy and Good Good Time. Idea of You, Shotgun, and Break for It from a couple of years later as well. Hoping they use at least a couple of these. IOY probably has the best chance.
Closed Thread

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc