These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2012, 09:26 AM   #21
inmytree
Hey Gee.

Carter may be skirting a few fills here and there, but the issue with him vs. Boyd is not even close to being on the same level.
inmytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:33 AM   #22
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

I wish nothing bad on the guy, but I am kind of tired of defending him anymore. He was a big reason as to why I got into this band and let's face it, he was the man in the 90's. However, I feel like he has now given up. I bet he couldn't even sing "True Reflections" live if he tried.

Boyd, come on...prove us wrong!
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:34 AM   #23
ggies
Sugar Will '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambourine Man View Post
For those of you who say Boyd is inconsistent. You're wrong. He is consistently bad. Hes been unlistenable for 4 years now. He can't remember signature parts to Big Eyed Fish, the bridge on Too Much. Even after being reminded. He's nowhere to be found on the new material live even though Lillywhite forced him to play.

He's nowhere to be found on Big Whiskey live or in the studio. With some very small exceptions.

The audio crew has to put him on mute except for when they're obligated to let him play. Like on Nancies. Then he always ends up sounding terrible.

Anytime they have something new to play he's always plucking some bullshit.

He needs to call it a career and find something that stimulates him more. I think violin is such an integral piece to DMB's sound. Yes Boyd has a distinct sound and energy. More than Roi did. But they'd be better off with a good player. I'd love to hear a show where the violin is just as prominent as the horns. It's high time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by inmytree View Post
Carter may be skirting a few fills here and there, but the issue with him vs. Boyd is not even close to being on the same level.
See the bolded part? It's the same. He is not doing the fills that he is famous for in the older songs. It doesn't sound the same to me. You might not be able to tell, but when he doesn't do the fills he created for those songs, just like Boyd, it makes the song not the same.

Carter and Boyd are doing the same thing, the only difference is Carter still has some umph left.
ggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:35 AM   #24
Thrawn
You can't take the sky from me

It's so weird, too, because he had a couple of bad years in the early 00s but then seemed pretty much fine from like 04 to 07. Certainly on all of the releases we have from that period, there's the occasional mistake but nothing beyond the errors on Red Rocks and other early shows. Even 08 was pretty much fine, I thought.

I guess he never got over Roi's death, or something. But man is he an embarrassment now.
Thrawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:36 AM   #25
inmytree
Hey Gee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggies View Post
See the bolded part? It's the same. He is not doing the fills that he is famous for in the older songs. It doesn't sound the same to me. You might not be able to tell, but when he doesn't do the fills he created for those songs, just like Boyd, it makes the song not the same.
There's not much point if you honestly think Carter and Boyd are having the same issues in terms of playing.
inmytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:11 AM   #26
soups
bla bla bla sandwich

I think Carter, Dave and Boyd are all playing less these days. Boyd either doesn't remember his old fills, or just doesn't care, carter is not as busy or as flamboyant, and Dave has simplified his guitar parts (ie Raven). Dave and Carter's simplification of the songs can be chalked up to two reasons: 1) they're older and not as capable as they once were due to carpel tunnel or whatever, 2) there are more things going on in the songs (more people playing instruments) and are giving more space to not make the songs extremely busy. I guess what I'm saying is, all three have begun to do less than they used to. Boyd is the only one without an excuse
soups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:55 AM   #27
DMBCLSTJ

While his sound was much better in the early days, he still skreed like crazy then too. I think his sound now is a product of the following:

A) Laziness, not rehearsing old parts, or creating new parts
B) The terrible violin he is using, he NEEDS to be playing the acoustic. (no question in my mind that Zeta is making him play their product, which doesn't fit him in my opinion)
C) I really think Roi's death really screwed with his head, he stage presence is pretty aweful, barely smiling on stage like he use to, etc.
DMBCLSTJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:21 AM   #28
Caveat Emperor
The Flyin' Lions

Disc Golf Champion! Flash Poker Champion! Super Mario Flash HV Champion! Whammy Champion!
I think it's pretty obvious, at this point, that the rumors about Boyd wanting to pack it in, as a band, after Roi died are true. He's just collecting a game check and running out the string right now.

It sucks for me personally because Boyd's sound was what got me into DMB originally. I keep wanting that sound to come back, and it's been nowhere to be found since 2005/2006. When Lillywhite came back, I was hoping he'd inspire Boyd to be part of what's going on, but it sounds like that isn't the case.

They've turned him down in the live mix for 2+ years now. He provides demonstrable evidence on stage and in interviews that he really doesn't care about what's going on right now. The best thing for the band might be to drop some cash on him and tell him "we need to bring someone in who wants to be here."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
What's this about 'extended delay?' Hardened boarders know TDC was only down for two days: the day it went down, and the day it went back up.
Caveat Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:23 AM   #29
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

Pains me to say it, but yeah. I dont think we'll ever see boyd and dave facing off on a billies or liog jam ever again. Lets get a dude who will play the right parts and find new ones that are sick. Or one of those hot chicks from PP's performance
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:40 AM   #30
gweeps

Boyd wasn't what got me into DMB. Obviously, like everyone else it was the songs. As to the individual players though, aside from Dave, it was Roi. A band with horns is immediately more interesting than a band without, or an artist that at least doesn't use them sometime.
gweeps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:41 AM   #31
Jayes

I'll ask again, you just going avatar-less?
Old 05-20-2012, 11:55 AM   #32
dmbguy987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayes View Post
Pains me to say it, but yeah. I dont think we'll ever see boyd and dave facing off on a billies or liog jam ever again. Lets get a dude who will play the right parts and find new ones that are sick. Or one of those hot chicks from PP's performance
This was at Deer Creek in 2010, so I'm sure we will see it at some point

dmbguy987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:58 AM   #33
gweeps

Quote:
I'll ask again, you just going avatar-less?
Until I find something worth a damn, yeah.
gweeps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 11:59 AM   #34
bongodongo

Listening to the violin player on the phil phillips studio stone track made me realize how awesome violin could sound. The thing that pains me is that we used to be really good.

I would not be surprised if he didn't play a note between tours.

I would support a new violin player for the benefit of the music, but would be sad to see him go as a member of the band.
bongodongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:03 PM   #35
Jayes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbguy987 View Post

I was there and forgot about it. Thank you for this ray of sunshine
Old 05-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #36
Jayes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongodongo View Post
Listening to the violin player on the phil phillips studio stone track made me realize how awesome violin could sound. The thing that pains me is that we used to be really good.

I would not be surprised if he didn't play a note between tours.

I would support a new violin player for the benefit of the music, but would be sad to see him go as a member of the band.
Quote:
Lets get a dude who will play the right parts and find new ones that are sick. Or one of those hot chicks from PP's performance
Old 05-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #37
Welsh
Would you play by the rules?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbguy987 View Post

Great image. I'm still not sold. Boyd has lost it, and shows no desire to improve. Three perfect examples of what I mean by "lost it."

1. Big Eyed Fish. Besides the plucking. He used to bow that line later in the song. He made important contributions. He can't do it anymore.

2. The Stone. He used to single-handedly play the opening string part, and hit the important notes to make it build into Carter's entrance. He used to play the part under the chorus (horns handle it now), and he used to play his signature line in the end, where Dave wails now and Jeff shreds. But if you remember, there was a counterpoint to his descending line. The ascending line that ended with a high note he sometimes missed. Well, he dropped that altogether now.

3. Nancies. Yeah, he gets to solo. Great. It usually sounds shitty anyway. But what about those underlying riffs during the choruses? Gone for years. Doesn't even bother to pick up on them.

Boyd needs to hang it up. Step aside, let the band find a new guy/girl (sweet!) and live off the royalties and modeling career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbphan1
As long as they can suck the rust off a trailer hitch, its all good to me.
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:38 PM   #38
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggies View Post

Carter and Boyd are doing the same thing, the only difference is Carter still has some umph left.
no, it's not the same. carter is in his 50's and physically can't play exactly like he used to. but even so, he still sounds fucking awesome and only nitpickers like you are sitting at a show thinking "man carter is missing stuff". any knucklehead can tell boyd is a waste now. he contributes nothing of importance on stage anymore.

it's not the same. do not imply that it is.
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:41 PM   #39
Thrawn
You can't take the sky from me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welsh View Post
2. The Stone. He used to single-handedly play the opening string part, and hit the important notes to make it build into Carter's entrance. He used to play the part under the chorus (horns handle it now), and he used to play his signature line in the end, where Dave wails now and Jeff shreds. But if you remember, there was a counterpoint to his descending line. The ascending line that ended with a high note he sometimes missed. Well, he dropped that altogether now.

3. Nancies. Yeah, he gets to solo. Great. It usually sounds shitty anyway. But what about those underlying riffs during the choruses? Gone for years. Doesn't even bother to pick up on them.
I hadn't noticed either of these. The weird thing about #2 is that he still plays the high note, and still misses it, but just doesn't play the ascending line up to it.

In #3, I assume you mean the line behind "sing and dance I'll play for you tonight"? That's not the chorus as I see it (that would be "look up at the sky"), and he still plays his little rhythmic thing there, but yes the melody during "sing and dance" is definitely gone.

Weird.
Thrawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:43 PM   #40
Jayes

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddySpence View Post
no, it's not the same. carter is in his 50's and physically can't play exactly like he used to. but even so, he still sounds fucking awesome and only nitpickers like you are sitting at a show thinking "man carter is missing stuff". any knucklehead can tell boyd is a waste now. he contributes nothing of importance on stage anymore.

it's not the same. do not imply that it is.
You just get up, buddy?

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc