These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2012, 01:37 AM   #1
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Boyd's skreetirement from DMB

For those of you who say Boyd is inconsistent. You're wrong. He is consistently bad. Hes been unlistenable for 4 years now. He can't remember signature parts to Big Eyed Fish, the bridge on Too Much. Even after being reminded. He's nowhere to be found on the new material live even though Lillywhite forced him to play.

He's nowhere to be found on Big Whiskey live or in the studio. With some very small exceptions.

The audio crew has to put him on mute except for when they're obligated to let him play. Like on Nancies. Then he always ends up sounding terrible.

Anytime they have something new to play he's always plucking some bullshit.

He needs to call it a career and find something that stimulates him more. I think violin is such an integral piece to DMB's sound. Yes Boyd has a distinct sound and energy. More than Roi did. But they'd be better off with a good player. I'd love to hear a show where the violin is just as prominent as the horns. It's high time.
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:40 AM   #2
Tomacco

Not an unfair statement. The violin sound is definitely needed, but I'm also on the fence about whether Boyd's "shtick" is worth being MIA on so much of the new material. And the new material is really good, and he's just missing his opportunity to put his stamp on it too. Could be better off to have a good violinist playing good stuff across the board, even despite not dancing around all over the stage.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:41 AM   #3
sean52692
You failed this band

Lakeside N2 last year he was on fire, though skreed a couple times. It was really awesome, since they played a lot of his signature songs - LIOG, Billies, Crush, and almost remembered all of his parts in Too Much. He was really into it, though
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:43 AM   #4
Tomacco

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean52692 View Post
Lakeside N2 last year he was on fire, though skreed a couple times. It was really awesome, since they played a lot of his signature songs - LIOG, Billies, Crush, and almost remembered all of his parts in Too Much. He was really into it, though
Yeah. But in general I am definitely more concerned about his lack of inclusion in any new material in the past 3 years. He's noticed on Alligator Pie, LITHOG, FTWII, and Squirm. Everything else... no.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:45 AM   #5
sean52692
You failed this band

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
Yeah. But in general I am definitely more concerned about his lack of inclusion in any new material in the past 3 years. He's noticed on Alligator Pie, LITHOG, FTWII, and Squirm. Everything else... no.
He should have been a huge part of the A-Pie studio cut.

I remember one LITHOG from 09 where he played something interesting, think it was from Europe.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:47 AM   #6
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

His dancing and whatever is definitely a gimmick that I think draws people to concerts. But he's quite simply an embarrassment. He ruins their sound. They all work hard and he shows up 30 mins before the show with a beanie over his sunglasses. I really miss a lot of the old parts he used to play. But even if those parts never get played again, I miss the violin sound the most. Tim and Jeff are great, but they need a prominent violin sound mixed in with that. He does nothing for them now except take bad solos. They'd be better off getting another keyboard player and dumping Boyd. But ultimately just a professional violin player.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:47 AM   #7
gweeps

Seems many won't agree with your proposal.
[Only registered users can see links.]
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 01:50 AM   #8
Tomacco

Well, everyone wants Boyd to be contributing. But so far, two shows in, nobody is impressed.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:51 AM   #9
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean52692 View Post
I mean that's a pretty low benchmark. Almost remembering a signature part that he's probably played thousands of times. And the other songs you talk about are just solos. Tim and Jeff don't just play solos. They are always filling out stuff. So many opportunities for Boyd to do that and he just doesn't.

Listen to Grace is gone from last night. There's like 2 seconds of Boyd.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:53 AM   #10
sean52692
You failed this band

Tamby, I pretty much agree with everything you said
Old 05-20-2012, 01:58 AM   #11
krayz
Roc-ing it up

let's just start over with Dave front-manning the Flecktones so all you sick assholes get what you want

Last edited by krayz; 05-20-2012 at 01:58 AM. Reason: and Carter replacing Future Man
krayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:01 AM   #12
Tomacco

It's just kind of weird how the band member known as being the most energetic is now the least energized person on stage. Stefan seems more into it than Boyd now even. Ten years ago it would have been the total reverse.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:06 AM   #13
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Gweeps I read that thread. Seemed like more about personal attacks on you. He had some ok moments in '08 and '09. He was actually pretty decent in '07. So I think people just thought he was going through a slump. But he's been consistently bad since 2008. I can't point to one solo or performance of his that I've been impressed by. Also I think it's become clear to us recently that they have him on mute.

I mean some people say it's inconsequential because he's on mute so who cares Tim and Jeff can take over. The thing is that I want to hear the violin sound. They could get somebody of Jeff's calibre up there and they could sound so much better.

I'm not saying this because I hate DMB. I think they sound the best they ever have. I just want a violin to be part of that sound.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:08 AM   #14
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
Seems many won't agree with your proposal.
[Only registered users can see links.]
to be fair, basically all the "no" votes are the best posters here.
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:11 AM   #15
FiddySpence
TDCya

i'm indifferent. if he stays and keeps doing things the way he has been lately, whatever. they've compensated for it and the band really does sound great. if he leaves, whatever. no skin off my back and a replacement could improve the violin sound or they just drop that altogether.

the whole "boyd was what made DMB unique so he HAS to stay" argument is bullshit. the lack of a lead electric guitar was cited as unique to them just as much as boyd and most reasonable folks are more than happy with having tim around now. bands evolve and lineups change. it's just a fact of life.

but i really don't feel passionately about this one way or the other at this point. it is what it is.
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:19 AM   #16
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

They sound really great now but I think they'd sound a lot better if they got an A+ violin player up there to fill out their sound and counterbalance the electric.

I'm sure they've had these discussions. It doesn't go unnoticed when he's never there for soundcheck, rehearsal, etc. I'm sure hes probably done that his entire career but he sounds really bad now. Look at the video of Help Myself from Gorge '08. Dave turns his head abruptly to Boyd several times with a pissed off look because he pretty much ruined the song.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:27 AM   #17
drh424s

he hasn't been the same since roi passed on
drh424s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:33 AM   #18
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

No. Listen to some early '08 tapes. He sounded worse than he sounds now. He was awful 6-20-08. Subject yourself to nancies from that show.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:42 AM   #19
ggies
Sugar Will '04

I'm starting to come around to this idea, but if we're talking about not playing certain parts, holy shit it's Carter. I think it's probably his age, but man has he dumb down a lot of his stuff. He missed a lot of his fills on nancies last night. Just basic beats to get back to the chorus. Since I'm a drummer and pay attention to his playing, he was def. a more simple, so it's not just Boyd not playing his "correct parts".
ggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:48 AM   #20
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

I think Carter's still getting into the tour groove. did his kit shrink/change again?
Jayes is online now   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc