These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2008, 08:07 PM   #21
ssdmbfan
LeRoi...gone far too soon. :(

Yeah, Hello Again on SU just sucks. I remembered being excited when the full version leaked, only to find out it still sucked, but it was just longer (I guess I expected a completely different version for some reason).

8.1.04 owns all! I love this song and wish it would come back, but it definitely should've been left off of SU.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:27 PM   #22
cgator41
Johnny Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisek View Post
This kinda made me think though. What if DDTW wasn't on an album and it went from the current or peak live version to what it is on BTCS.

I think it would get a similar reaction.
I like the BTCS version of DDTW better than almost any live version--especially the current way they are playing it. Dave wailing the melody because he can't sing the falsetto part anymore ruins the song for me now.
cgator41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 09:47 PM   #23
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monk View Post
It was like they were on speed during the Red Rocks '05 version. I've seen a lot of people put it down, but I really enjoy it (except for the editing blunder "got a little feeling from ya'll").
I agree, I love it at that pace (and at slower speeds too), but I can understand the criticism too. I think Red Rocks is a really tight version...
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 10:22 PM   #24
WalterKronkite
Bob Loblaw

i agree as well but at least i have a soundboard of my favorite version, 8-7-04.
i did it twice in a row once, but only to prove to myself that i could. every other time i get all hyped up like "oh my god this chick is so hot i could crank them out for a week" but then i'm ready for a nap before the tissue hits the trash
Quote:
Originally Posted by egon spengler
also i love to slurp up cock
WalterKronkite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 11:49 PM   #25
TDunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandamit View Post
jus trrble
issa trrble trrble thing
TDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 11:52 PM   #26
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
Dave also said in a 2005 interview how Stand Up was "shallow" and how he was sad some songs were left off. Maybe if they had made it, HA would have been left for another album or as a live feature?
I'm sure he had some control over what songs made it onto the album. It's not like they record these songs and then it's up in the air whether or not they make it on the cd.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 12:57 AM   #27
gweeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLaKaS View Post
It's not like they record these songs and then it's up in the air whether or not they make it on the cd.
Actually, this is how it has been for years now.
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 01:53 AM   #28
MaLaKaS
Moore Soul

Quote:
Actually, this is how it has been for years now.
I know DMB had complete creative control for BTCS in regards to what songs made it onto the album and I also realize that they lost a lot of their creative control after the LWS debacle, but I guess I didn't realize that it was that bad still. I thought he at least has some degree of control over song selection.
MaLaKaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:10 AM   #29
mrchattr
My office...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLaKaS View Post
I know DMB had complete creative control for BTCS in regards to what songs made it onto the album and I also realize that they lost a lot of their creative control after the LWS debacle, but I guess I didn't realize that it was that bad still. I thought he at least has some degree of control over song selection.
According to interviews from the time the album was released, the band and Batson had control, but they all voted. Some of Dave's favorite songs were left off the album.

I actually think that HA fits SU pretty well, song-wise...the production is what killed that album. But if you think of the normal, live versions of the songs, HA fits very well with AB, LB, SU, and even Hunger. I even like the idea of doing a segue between HA and LB, just like Batson did...only I would have done it MUCH later in the song, not cut out the whole jam (and thus making me DL the MP3 three different times, from different sources, convinced that there was a mistake). I also think it would have fit well with some of the other songs that were recorded (Joyride, Sugar Will), which Dave might have thought would be on the album when he said HA would fit.
mrchattr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:58 AM   #30
last72stop
maybe we should go dancing

you know when someone has trouble getting over something when they are still complaining about it 3 years later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by typsitch
I do wonder though sometimes why you're on this message board or even a fan of the band. From what it sounds like, you don't really connect on any real/deep/emotional level to any of their songs
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
I used to have half a dozen friends
last72stop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 02:14 PM   #31
gweeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by last72stop View Post
You got it.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:19 PM   #32
JWood

I kinda wish it had been left off too, IF Crazy Easy, Hello Again, Joyride, and Sugar Will made the "next album" (maybe not all of them, but more than one). Kinda like what happened with the LWS and how none of those tracks showed up on Everyday, but they kept a majority for Busted Stuff.
JWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 06:01 PM   #33
seekup19
DMBML Crack Monkey

Quote:
Dave also said in a 2005 interview how Stand Up was "shallow" and how he was sad some songs were left off. Maybe if they had made it, HA would have been left for another album or as a live feature?
i've never heard this before. what interview?
seekup19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 06:37 PM   #34
celluloid hero

I got the feeling from the Stand Up album premiere that he was sad songs didn't make it but it was his choice.
celluloid hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:24 PM   #35
seekup19
DMBML Crack Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
I got the feeling from the Stand Up album premiere that he was sad songs didn't make it but it was his choice.
yeah that's what i got too. that he liked songs they left off but that it was the right decision.

is there another interview saying otherwise?
seekup19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:56 PM   #36
paratroopin

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekup19 View Post
i've never heard this before. what interview?
[Only registered users can see links.]

"We’ve only done one record with him obviously, but he’s a musician and so I think he has an ability to change, I think the fact that he’s a musician and the fact that at the end of the last record we were still all getting along pretty well, I think has a lot to do with it. I think also we didn’t tap very deeply, even though we were all very happy with how Stand Up came out, it was sort of like we were in the shallow end and so there’s so much more."

"Some of my favourite music was left off the record, it didn’t quite fit, maybe had a more electronic vibe to it, a little more demented, a little more drugged soaked, maybe not everybody in the band was in the same headspace. You sort of find stuff that fits for everybody, I certainly think there’s a wealth of stuff to work with beyond that."
Old 01-30-2018, 11:26 PM   #37
gweeps

Topped so NiCK Crush can chime in.

I'd forgotten that Dave was unhappy some of the "best stuff" was left off Stand Up. However, given the abysmal production value of the album, it's probably for the best.

Most disappointingly produced studio album by a major band I've heard.

And, Béla still hasn't guested on Hello Again...
Old 01-30-2018, 11:32 PM   #38
NiCK (Crush)

One of the greatest tragedies in DMB history is that Mark Batson not only got his hands on Hello Again, but they actually decided to release it.

Talk about tainting a really great fucking Dave Matthews Band song.

I was so excited in 2004. Easily my favorite "new batch" of songs to debut from this band. And the only one we got was a version of Hello Again with it's nuts completely chopped off.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:33 PM   #39
NiCK (Crush)

Not to mention the song just doesnt fit with the other songs on that album AT ALL.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:14 AM   #40
DIDO36

Hello Again has been absent for way too long. Six DMB tours without a single play. Damn.
DIDO36 is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc