These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2014, 09:13 AM   #141
RageATL
The Dude abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post
The problem I have with the post-Waters Floyd is simply a lack of emotion in the music. There is a certain sterility to most of it. Maybe it's the genre they aimed for, so unlike the prog-rock they did in the 70s, even aping it at times. Still, there are a few good songs on each album. Bottom-of-the-barrel Floyd though.
My feelings exactly, very well said.

My DMB Almanac: http://dmbalmanac.com/Member.aspx?number=576
RageATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:53 AM   #142
abw123

Quote:
People have slagged off The Final Cut, but it's a nearly perfect distillation of a life slowing imploding. Don't we all feel fear swallowing us whole once in a while? Don't our memories and feelings of nostalgia and grief threaten to bury us alive sometimes?

I think the album is Waters' lyrical magnum opus of existentialism.
The Final Cut is fucking great.
abw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 01:23 PM   #143
blumathu

Am I the only one super excited for this new album? I've never been that into Final Cut, maybe I should go back and listen again.
blumathu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 03:33 PM   #144
abw123

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumathu View Post
Am I the only one super excited for this new album? I've never been that into Final Cut, maybe I should go back and listen again.
Waters at his best (or close to it).
Old 07-07-2014, 03:50 PM   #145
blumathu

Quote:
Originally Posted by abw123 View Post
Waters at his best (or close to it).
Ok, you convinced me, I'll listen to it again tomorrow. I did really like pros and cons.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:03 PM   #146
abw123

Quote:
Ok, you convinced me, I'll listen to it again tomorrow. I did really like pros and cons.
Final Cut is closer to The Wall (quality wise) than Pros and Cons to me.

Just my opinion though.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:49 PM   #147
RageATL
The Dude abides

Pink Floyd (opening act: mjf's hard drive crashes)

I would much rather listen to TFC than The Wall, far less depressing/far more rockin' to me. "Not Now John" could quite possibly be my favorite PF song...kicks so much ass!

Never listened to "Pros and Cons...," but really dig "Amused To Death," especially "The Bravery of Being Out of Range." Great song title (especially in these internet times) and great tune to boot.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:43 AM   #148
abw123

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageATL View Post
I would much rather listen to TFC than The Wall, far less depressing/far more rockin' to me. "Not Now John" could quite possibly be my favorite PF song...kicks so much ass!

Never listened to "Pros and Cons...," but really dig "Amused To Death," especially "The Bravery of Being Out of Range." Great song title (especially in these internet times) and great tune to boot.
Waters solo stuff is hit or miss for me, but totally agreed that "Bravery" is one of his top tunes.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:58 PM   #149
mjf

I'm beyond excited for this the more I think about it. DG has made it so friggin clear in his words and actions that he doesn't give 2 shits about making more money, so I definitely think it is fair to rule out this being a money grab. He either wanted to release this because he felt the quality was great enough to, or he wanted to make one last statement on behalf of Rick. Hopefully both. Either way, I'm pumped.

Even if it completely sucks balls, it's going to be a hell of a lot of fun getting together with all my buddies I grew up listening to Floyd with to listen to a new PF album. Can't wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageATL View Post

Man, I'm a melancholy bastard... I love the Wall. The album version of The Wall sounds like a Jimmy Buffet record though compared to Roger's original demo/the early demos that were on the Immersion I love them, but holy hell... they should have come with a couple Zoloft's or something
mjf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:44 AM   #150
gweeps

I've always thought this Radiohead song reminded me of Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun.

And did you know The Smashing Pumpkins covered StCfotHotS?

gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:16 AM   #151
mjf

I only started getting obsessed with Radiohead over the past year, I never heard that song before. I completely agree gweeps it definitely does. That's a great song too. I wish DMB would just through random studio songs on the internet...

Exit Music reminds me an awful lot of Atom Heart Mother (the song) at about the 1:20 mark due to the background singers -

Old 07-09-2014, 12:46 PM   #152
blumathu

I listened to Final Cut again yesterday, still not feeling it. Not Now John is a decent tune, but not the quality of 70s Floyd. Next I'll try Amused to Death, believe it or not I've never listened to it.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:59 PM   #153
mjf

Quote:
I listened to Final Cut again yesterday, still not feeling it. Not Now John is a decent tune, but not the quality of 70s Floyd. Next I'll try Amused to Death, believe it or not I've never listened to it.
I think AtD is a good album but nothing out of this world. I think Roger started to overdue his schtick at that point with the radio/TV stuff, having Part I/II/III of songs, etc. That stuff made the Wall really special to me but started to get old by that album IMO. Looking forward to hearing what you think of it
Old 07-13-2014, 11:40 AM   #154
mjf

This won't seem too earth shattering unless you are a diehard (and thanks to us being so spoiled by Jay), but some really nice 8mm footage from a '72 DSOTM show surfaced recently -

Along with the claims from the band that not a single multitrack recording of the '77 Tour was ever created, the lack of any decent film of this era is a true travesty from the perspective of a PF fan/music fan in general. As far as we can tell the band never got the bright idea to throw a camera up one night and get some film

The PF community's Jay is talking with the guy about doing a high quality transfer soon luckily
Old 07-13-2014, 11:47 AM   #155
mjf

Pretty fuckin hard to imagine witnessing PF in their prime performing DSOTM in such a tiny little venue
Old 07-14-2014, 04:49 PM   #156
gweeps

Listening to DMB's debut version of Money again. This is still fantastic! Dave can actually sing the song. And Roi is going bananas.

So, less Zep more Floyd!

I can hear a:

Drunken Soldier
Breathe
Time
Breathe Reprise
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:29 PM   #157
RageATL
The Dude abides

Quote:
Listening to DMB's debut version of Money again. This is still fantastic! Dave can actually sing the song. And Roi is going bananas.

So, less Zep more Floyd!

I can hear a:

Drunken Soldier
Breathe
Time
Breathe Reprise
Makes too much sense not to eventually happen, but knowing DMB, we'll get a cover of some crappy other song instead.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:03 PM   #158
TheLastStop
It all comes down to nothing

Quote:

So, less Zep more Floyd!

I can hear a:

Drunken Soldier
Breathe
Time
Breathe Reprise
I'd wet my pants
TheLastStop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:57 AM   #159
blumathu

Quote:

So, less Zep more Floyd!

I can hear a:

Drunken Soldier
Breathe
Time
Breathe Reprise
Be kind of weird with the key shift
Old 07-16-2014, 12:12 PM   #160
mjf

Quote:
Be kind of weird with the key shift
Tim does these absolutely incredible famous song medleys at a lot of his solo shows and always finds such a perfect way to transition the keys almost seamlessly. Much better than Butch did in Fall '98 from Linus & Lucy --> Heartbeat. I'm sure they could come up with something to make it work

I just don't think Dave could pull off Time vocally is all. But I gotta admit, I said the same exact thing when I saw they debuted Money... and boy was I wrong

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc