These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2014, 04:16 PM   #61
Mitch

Animals is my favorite Floyd album, but I didn't even come to it until later. I got into Floyd the way many did, when I started smoking weed as a teenager. Listening to DSOTM while getting high at a friends house at around 14 years old is such a distinct memory. And then I got into other albums, mostly what my older brother had, which was WYWH, The Wall, and Final Cut. Didn't even listen to Animals until my mid-20's, but it's my favorite at this point. I'm not familiar with their earlier stuff.
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:58 PM   #62
gweeps

Two of my favourite post-Waters songs are Sorrow, which has such a driving beat, and Lost for Words, which has some possibly unintentional humour in the last verse (So I open my door to my enemies and I ask could we wipe the slate clean? But they tell me to please go fuck myself. You know you just can't win).

I also love Learning to Fly, On the Turning Away, High Hopes and maybe a couple more. Those last two albums really missed Waters.
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:03 PM   #63
mjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Animals is my favorite Floyd album, but I didn't even come to it until later. I got into Floyd the way many did, when I started smoking weed as a teenager. Listening to DSOTM while getting high at a friends house at around 14 years old is such a distinct memory. And then I got into other albums, mostly what my older brother had, which was WYWH, The Wall, and Final Cut. Didn't even listen to Animals until my mid-20's, but it's my favorite at this point. I'm not familiar with their earlier stuff.
Sounds about right! Dark Side and Animals were my first favorites. It's just so damn hard to pick between DSOTM, Animals, and WYWH...

The early Syd Barret-led years I really don't care much for. Once Gilmour joined is the stuff I like. I highly recommend you check out Meddle, I think most fans agree that's the best (even if it's not their favorite) from that era. It has Echoes which I'm sure you've heard at some point or another. I'll PM more about it later (hint hint)
mjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 05:06 PM   #64
gweeps

You gotta love Bike though. It's such an oddball song.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:13 PM   #65
gweeps

Old 04-27-2014, 05:53 PM   #66
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

Whew! This place is fucking boring on the weekends
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 07:18 PM   #67
mjf

Can we switch to MLB chat now for Jayes?
Old 04-27-2014, 09:10 PM   #68
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

yew guuuuyth! Theriouthly!
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:15 AM   #69
abw123

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post

A Pillow of Winds has such an inviting calm to it.

For favourite album, I'd have to go with Wish You Were Here. You can become lost in the first few minutes of Shine On You Crazy Diamond. Chills, man. And who doesn't always feel bittersweet nostalgia when listening to the title song?

My favourite song might just be Dogs. What an epic.

You know, aside from a few songs, I'm really not much a fan of The Wall. It's much too bloated for my tastes. As a concept album, give me The Final Cut or (thematically) Dark Side.

A favourite b-side is Julia Dream.

I have a old friend who was at that Montreal concert where Waters spit on the fan. He would lend me his LPs and I would dub them. Great guy.

While never seeing them live, I remember being just as excited as everyone else when they did Live 8 back in 2005.
Dogs is my favorite song too. I can't get into the pre-Atom Heart stuff, I just don't like it. But everything after.....great. Including The Final Cut.
abw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 11:17 AM   #70
abw123

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageATL View Post
Kick ass album. At first it seems odd that this was the predecessor to DSOTM but when you listen to it, it kinda makes sense.

Huge fan of Fearleas as well. Look for the all acoustic version by Umphrey's from Toad's Place, simply sublime.
Black Crowes used to cover Fearless as well.....
Old 04-28-2014, 11:19 AM   #71
abw123

Quote:
Two of my favourite post-Waters songs are Sorrow, which has such a driving beat, and Lost for Words, which has some possibly unintentional humour in the last verse (So I open my door to my enemies and I ask could we wipe the slate clean? But they tell me to please go fuck myself. You know you just can't win).

I also love Learning to Fly, On the Turning Away, High Hopes and maybe a couple more. Those last two albums really missed Waters.
About half of those 2 albums are really good, the other half very mediocre. Some great Gilmour solos. I really dig Coming Back to Life.

Gilmour's first 2 solo albums have some decent stuff too.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:22 PM   #72
mjf

Quote:

They really did miss Waters. No doubt.

Here's what cracks me up about Gilmour Floyd and Roger's subsequent solo album (pros and cons of hitchhiking). They both went to great lengths to replace eachother, to prove to eachother that they didn't need the other one

Gilmour had people ghost writing both of the post-Waters Floyd albums. Like, heavily. IMO that was definitely to replace Roger. I really wish it didn't happen either, because On An Island was a really good album and showed he didn't need anyone to write for him. Gilmour wrote (or atleast a significant part of) Dogs, Comfortably Numb, Run Like Hell, Young Lust, a decent chunk of DSOTM (the last album they all wrote together), WYWH (the song), etc etc etc!

What does Roger Waters do for his first solo album? Get Eric Clapton as the lead guitar player

The two were made for eachother, pure and simple. It's not like Simon and Garfunkel where Paul was pretty much fine without Garfunkel. Roger could never be half the musician/singer as Dave was (just listen to the Roger demos for the Wall, it's disturbing). And Dave could never write lyrics like WYWH, Comfortably Numb, etc or piece together concepts that touch so many damn people like DSOTM, WYWH , and the Wall did. Together? Magic.

It sucks when that happens in music. Oh well. Word is Gilmour is gonna start work on another solo album, we have that to look forward to
Old 04-29-2014, 02:42 PM   #73
abw123

Come on, On an Island is terrible.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:40 PM   #74
mjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by abw123 View Post
Come on, On an Island is terrible.
Haha I liked it! I can understand people not liking it though. With that said, I don't understand how a Pink Floyd fan could not have liked the tour he did... and that's the main thing I'm excited about
Old 04-30-2014, 09:45 AM   #75
blumathu

Love Floyd, there is no song by them (any era) that I don't like. Was obsessed with them before DMB. Another vote for Shine On being the best song in existance. Really admire Gilmour's guitar work.

I have a mono copy of Piper on CD that I treasure, randomly found that and a "First 3 singles" CD in a record shop in the 90s. I wish they would have put Point Me At the Sky on that one, great tune.

Also, I do love On an Island, great music. The lyrics though... definely cheesy at times compared to Gilmour era Floyd material.
blumathu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:13 PM   #76
mjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumathu View Post
Love Floyd, there is no song by them (any era) that I don't like. Was obsessed with them before DMB. Another vote for Shine On being the best song in existance. Really admire Gilmour's guitar work.

I have a mono copy of Piper on CD that I treasure, randomly found that and a "First 3 singles" CD in a record shop in the 90s. I wish they would have put Point Me At the Sky on that one, great tune.

Also, I do love On an Island, great music. The lyrics though... definely cheesy at times compared to Gilmour era Floyd material.
couldn't agree more buddy, I gotta listen to the Syd stuff some more though. Definitely like all of it, it's just never my go to stuff. Gilmour will never touch Roger's lyrics for sure

He'll always be my favorite guitarist. Group of us did a cover of SOYCD. I've been playing Gilmour's parts on a Fender Strat for over 10 years now.... can't come close to giving that song justice. Doesn't matter if I hit every single note perfectly.. the man just has a touch and tone that can't be duplicated. Whenever we cover PF stuff now, I never play his stuff note for note anymore. It's pointless!

Tim though, IMO just perfectly nailed Money during the '08 tour. He really made it his own
Old 04-30-2014, 12:22 PM   #77
Mitch

I've always considered David Gilmour kinda underrated of how great a guitarist he is. But I guess he does get the proper recognition by those in the know.

Also, since the Floyd discussion is flowing well, I'm gonna edit the thread title again....
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 12:33 PM   #78
gweeps

Actor Bob Hoskins died yesterday. Among many other good films, he was also in The Wall.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:54 PM   #79
blumathu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf View Post
He'll always be my favorite guitarist. Group of us did a cover of SOYCD. I've been playing Gilmour's parts on a Fender Strat for over 10 years now.... can't come close to giving that song justice. Doesn't matter if I hit every single note perfectly.. the man just has a touch and tone that can't be duplicated. Whenever we cover PF stuff now, I never play his stuff note for note anymore. It's pointless!

Tim though, IMO just perfectly nailed Money during the '08 tour. He really made it his own
Same here, learned how to play lead by ripping off Gilmour's style. SOYCD is my favorite song to play. Lately I've been playing it in the manner he does it on that acoustic dvd he put out, since I rarely pull out the strat lately for some reason.
blumathu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:27 PM   #80
mjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
I've always considered David Gilmour kinda underrated of how great a guitarist he is. But I guess he does get the proper recognition by those in the know.

Also, since the Floyd discussion is flowing well, I'm gonna edit the thread title again....
I was shocked another one hadn't happened yet!! Right after I jokingly called you punk I was dreading what was gonna happen to my username

I couldn't agree more, he's definitely underrated. I think he has one of those styles that isn't "melt your face off" if you don't play guitar or appreciate good music like you do. Of his well known stuff, I think Money, Time, and Comfortably Numb get the credit they deserve atleast though.

Comfortably Numb is easily one of my favorites of all time. During the Wall concerts, they started off the second half of the show with the stage completely covered by the wall. You were only given glimpses of the band/animations/etc. For the comfortably numb solo, they actually had a platform raised to the top of the wall with gilmour, and shined a huge ass spotlight behind him so his shadow was the size of the venue. I can't possibly imagine what that woulda been like to see with your own eyes (and probably acid )

Quote:
Originally Posted by blumathu View Post
Same here, learned how to play lead by ripping off Gilmour's style. SOYCD is my favorite song to play. Lately I've been playing it in the manner he does it on that acoustic dvd he put out, since I rarely pull out the strat lately for some reason.
Ah man, what a great version. I almost never play electric either these days unless it's with other people which is seldom. About a year ago I tried to figure out why the hell I couldn't pull off SOYCD nearly as smooth as him. I ended up raising the height on my bridge and it actually made a world of difference. He does those pulls so damn smooth, you almost don't realize he's doing them!

Are you on yeeshkhul? One of my holy grail bootlegs finally leaked recently. True alternate recordings from both WYWH and Animals. It's nothing out of this world good, but I think it's essential for guitarists to grab because the solos/layering guitars are some of the key differences. If you don't have it lemme know and I'll gladly point ya in the right direction

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc