Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2014, 02:29 PM   #41
mjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by batleon View Post
Seems a bit long...

What did I tell you about the Pink Floyd-jacking of every thread
man I'm getting bad, I started replying to the Led Zeppelin thread today until I realized my whole post was about PF reissues and had nothing to do with Led Zep except for the first sentence

I gotta look for another Floyd board or something to get it outta my system
mjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 03:39 PM   #42
gweeps

Isn't San Tropez a perfect song?

It has a little jammy section for the outro, Summery appeal, a jaunty lyric, sprinkled bluesiness throughout, slide guitar, is peppered with great piano, and fits all this feelgoodness together in under 4 minutes.
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:24 PM   #43
abw123

I can talk Floyd all day. Keep thread jacking!

Anyone like Obscured by Clouds? Such an underrated album.
abw123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:24 PM   #44
usfice6
Shut up Sven!

This thread got my ass in gear about finally checking out and subscribing to an online backup solution. I have over 2 TB's of live shows and while I'm extremely diligent about my backup, I have a 4TB RAID configured NAS and an offline 2TB External HDD right now, I've been meaning to go that extra step and get everything backed up online.

I ended up going with Backblaze, they have excellent reviews, the pricing was right, and they look to have a very innovative approach to online data storage.

They only shitty part is that they do not offer a seeding program which means I have to do everything via upload. Even with my 50/25 connection it's going to take a couple months to backup everything. Guess it's a small inconvenience for knowing that everything is safe and sound.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:27 PM   #45
mjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeps View Post

It has a little jammy section for the outro, Summery appeal, a jaunty lyric, sprinkled bluesiness throughout, slide guitar, is peppered with great piano, and fits all this feelgoodness together in under 4 minutes.

Gweeps your the man. This is officially a PF thread now

Most fans say Meddle is an extremely underrated album, which is true. But the most accurate statement IMO is that it's the first 5 songs (besides Echoes) that are what's criminally underrated. I love the piano in San Tropez, and that little guitar solo to close it off is just perfect.

I think Fearless is one of the most beautiful songs they've ever written.

Atom Heart Mother, Meddle, and Obscured By Clouds truly laid the groundwork for what was to come from there on. Stuff like San Tropez and Fearless definitely were forgotten/grown out of though by the band... which was a shame.

What's your favorite album by them?
Old 04-25-2014, 04:28 PM   #46
mjf

Mods I promise to keep PF in this thread from here on out
Old 04-25-2014, 04:45 PM   #47
gweeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf View Post
Most fans say Meddle is an extremely underrated album

A Pillow of Winds has such an inviting calm to it.

For favourite album, I'd have to go with Wish You Were Here. You can become lost in the first few minutes of Shine On You Crazy Diamond. Chills, man. And who doesn't always feel bittersweet nostalgia when listening to the title song?

My favourite song might just be Dogs. What an epic.

You know, aside from a few songs, I'm really not much a fan of The Wall. It's much too bloated for my tastes. As a concept album, give me The Final Cut or (thematically) Dark Side.

A favourite b-side is Julia Dream.

I have a old friend who was at that Montreal concert where Waters spit on the fan. He would lend me his LPs and I would dub them. Great guy.

While never seeing them live, I remember being just as excited as everyone else when they did Live 8 back in 2005.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:42 PM   #48
Mitch

Quote:
Mods I promise to keep PF in this thread from here on out
Ok, have at it
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 06:55 PM   #49
mjf

Quote:

A Pillow of Winds has such an inviting calm to it.

For favourite album, I'd have to go with Wish You Were Here. You can become lost in the first few minutes of Shine On You Crazy Diamond. Chills, man. And who doesn't always feel bittersweet nostalgia when listening to the title song?

My favourite song might just be Dogs. What an epic.

You know, aside from a few songs, I'm really not much a fan of The Wall. It's much too bloated for my tastes. As a concept album, give me The Final Cut or (thematically) Dark Side.

A favourite b-side is Julia Dream.

I have a old friend who was at that Montreal concert where Waters spit on the fan. He would lend me his LPs and I would dub them. Great guy.

While never seeing them live, I remember being just as excited as everyone else when they did Live 8 back in 2005.
WYWH is my favorite album of all time, bar none. The first few minutes of SOYCD, and the very last part (part IX) that closes out the whole album is hands down my favorite piece of music ever created. That intro was mostly made with real wine glasses/water trick, and they actually released the original unaltered track back in 2011. If you haven't heard it, I'll gladly upload it for you when my HD is all settled some time tonight.

Dogs is one my absolute favorites as well. I listened to DSOTM for the very first time at a friends house, and that night she gave me her father's vinyl copy of Animals. When I went home, I threw it on and Dogs just blew me away. Gilmour just blows me away on that whole track.

I'm quite the sucker for the Wall to be honest! I really related to it when I was a kid (kinda sad ) and it always remained a very powerful album for me. I like the Final Cut as well, but it's so blatantly Roger Waters feat. Pink Floyd that I never fell in love with it. I love the song writing, but I can almost feel that the band showed up to the studio, laid down there stuff, and left. Very little life from the band. What Roger is doing is powerful though.

That's incredible your friend was at that show! He has a copy of the show right? It's pretty well circulated due to the historical significance but I figure I oughta ask just in case

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Ok, have at it
Hahaha is that the best you got, punk?

well played
Old 04-25-2014, 10:08 PM   #50
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

So, we had to ruin this thread too?

Another child that's grown old
Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 12:51 AM   #51
mjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
So, we had to ruin this thread too?
62 Reasons to Hate the Grateful Dead

1) At their Colma store, Sprint PCS has programmed some of their sample phones to not only play a Grateful Dead song, but also to flash iconic "Dead" images -- the hippie skeleton, a crown of roses, etc.

2) Jerry Garcia once said that he "produced art like some people sweat." Besides being a pretentious thing to say, no fat, hairy guy should ever draw the conversation towards sweat.

3) Bob Weir has performed in little shorts and a polo shirt since the early 1980s.

4) Bands with two drummers suck.

5) Entire generations of children have been forced to believe that this medium-tempo, country-blues music was somehow better than anything produced since.

6) In the words of Diane Arn, "I don't get what this (pointing to stage) has to do with this (pointing to audience hippie doing falling-down-the-stairs dance)

7) Unlike punks, Deadheads don't fight back. If you slam into them, they give you a hurt look and continue grooving.

8) Body odor. Plain and simple.

9)White guys with smug, self-satisfied expressions doing endless arhythmic undulations and making darn sure that you know what a great time they're having.

10) Slow, old vehicles lacking catalytic converters actually pollute more than efficient, modern ones.

11) Dogs wearing bandanas and oversized sunglasses are not funny (see previous entry).

12) Pop songs are not meant to be 25 minutes long.

13) They hijacked a set from John Fogarty during the 1992 Bill Graham Tribute concert at Golden Gate park, proving that the Grateful Dead can make any song sound identical to the one they just played.

14) You could go to a Grateful Dead show and set up a razors and deodorant concession. You'd go broke.

15) Phish.

16) The adjective "noodling," as it applies to guitar solos.

17) The band has a 100% death rate for keyboardists. And keyboardists aren't even cool.

18) During the 80s, did you ever peek into a friend's cassette collection and find 150 homemade tapes with dates and places written on them? "1/15/77, Red Rocks."

19) They hijacked many punks (including my once fierce little sister), making them into what they once hated, hippies.

20) "Hey, dude, I've got no beef with you! Mellow out!"

21) Tie-dye should, by all rights, have never lasted as a (bad) fashion choice beyond 1971.

22) They were the highest-grossing touring act in the world for the last 5 years of their career, and yet continued to promote themselves as part of a roving community of like-minded peers.

23) My little sister's friends humiliated my dad by telling him he "looked like Jerry Garcia!" while undoubtedly wearing beatific, vacuous smiles.

24) Body odor. Oh, wait, I already said that. But have you ever been to a Dead show? It's strong enough to merit two mentions.

25) Mardi Gras shows included gigantic heads being paraded around by guys wearing stilts. I ask you, where are the mimes?

26) Jerry Garcia died, and yet the band continues to re-form and play under various names.

27) Now that they're old (the ones who aren't dead), the surviving members of the Grateful Dead intend to carry on their public personas as rockers and members of the cultural elite. Witness Mickey Hart's books about drumming.

28) Mickey Hart's books on drumming and percussion have opened the eyes of legions of Babyboomers to drumming from around the world, thus setting up very uncomfortable situations for teenage boys who enter their date's home, only to be assaulted by faux-hip parents grooving to indecipherable drumming.

29) Drum circles.

30) Crop circles. Okay, that's taking it too far.

31) The verb "grooving."

32) The fact that the only good brew pub in the Haight is called "Magnolia," after the Grateful Dead song, "Sugar Magnolia." You can have the psychedelics, but please leave us the beer.

33) 22-year-olds shouldn't listen to 40-year-old rock and roll. It's just wrong.

34) Vegans who smoke cigarettes.

35) When we lived in Seattle, the Grateful Dead would play shows at Memorial Stadium. Two things would happen: 1) The entire of lower Queen Anne would be overrun with hippies. 2) We could hear the freaking Grateful Dead from our place on Capitol Hill. There was no escape.

36) Panhandling kids from upper-middle class homes.

37) My neighbor has a gigantic Grateful Dead tattoo.

38) Twenty-minute drum solos that include bongos, timpanis and weird, gong-like things.

39) Sometimes a Deadhead will talk for more than an hour about the intricate musical changes that took place after Pigpen died.

40) Deadheads somehow equate following a band around with being an artist. Sorry, making friendship bracelets doesn't count.

41) My brother-in-law the Rocket Scientist professes to like the Grateful Dead. It seems unlikely, because he's as straight as they come, and he has a very dry sense of humor, so I'm not sure if he was telling me the truth, but frankly, he kind of intimidates me so I was afraid to ask.

42) Dreadlocks on white guys.

43) Massive groups of people laughing uproariously at stuff that's not at all funny.

44) Dirty, naked kids running around because "they're free."

45) Each member of the Grateful Dead lives in a gigantic house. I live in a small, 2-bedroom place. I'll bet your house is closer in size to mine than theirs.

46) There is in-fighting among the surviving members of the group and mismanagement of the group's business. Dude, mellow out.

47) The word "mellow."

48) The fact that any group with a strong, grassroots following and a good live stadium show is automatically compared to the Grateful Dead.

49) Too many band members. Again, two drummers? Two guitarists AND a keyboard player? Do the guys on stilts wearing the oversized heads get the same percentage of the cut as the guy who hits the timpani?

50) Dirty hippies saying "trips" and "bud" as you walk through the parking lot.

51) Hacky-sack is not a sport, though it is kind of fun to walk up to a bunch of hippies kicking that thing around and say, "I've got winners, okay?"

52) Some of Jerry Garcia's country-tinged side projects were pretty good. As a result, however, Deadheads now claim country and bluegrass as their own, and nothing can destroy a good country or bluegrass show as quickly as a couple of hippies doing the falling-down-the-stairs dance alone in front of the band while everyone else is just watching.

53) Deadhead dads still think that putting their kid in a tie-dyed t-shirt is a totemic expression meaning "I'm not uncool like those other, old dads." Even worse, tie-dyed t-shirts that say "Grateful Dad."

54) Suede boots with soft soles. Totally impractical

55) Tevas with white socks. Tevas with skirts. Tevas with camping shorts. Tevas.

56) Jerry Garcia OD'ing on cocaine in the front seat of his Jaguar.

57) They ruined Ken Kesey. Okay, maybe it was the other way around?

58) Creepy skull.

59) Deadheads seem to lack any critical skills. Or perhaps it's more of a willful jettison of them. Either way, it's hard to debate someone who's bobbing their head and humming.

60) Everything is most decidedly NOT cool and mellow, and sometimes there ARE worries.

61) Even now, some ten years after Jerry Garcia's death, this band who recorded their first single in 1964 still dominates Bay Area culture enough to annoy me.

62) Their fans, like Jack, don't have shit for taste when it comes to music. Pink Floyd is the greatest band of all time
Old 04-26-2014, 07:50 AM   #52
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Pink Floyd greatest band of all time

And I don't even dislike pink floyd. I've seen them live. I've seem the wall live. If you're in high school & on drugs, or middl aged & on drugs they're pretty good. I certainly didn't read that list, but after the first few... from what I remember of the Foxboro show the crowd might as well been the clone of a dead show. Just more meat heads.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:17 AM   #53
Mitch

mjf, you bastard. we give you a thread all to your own, and you use it as a platform to knock the Dead!

And those "reasons" are all really stupid (although I will agree that the Dead was better off when Kreutzmann was the lone drummer)
Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:20 AM   #54
mjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Pink Floyd greatest band of all time

And I don't even dislike pink floyd. I've seen them live. I've seem the wall live. If you're in high school & on drugs, or middl aged & on drugs they're pretty good. I certainly didn't read that list, but after the first few... from what I remember of the Foxboro show the crowd might as well been the clone of a dead show. Just more meat heads.
I'll be the first to admit, if it wasn't for high school/drugs I probably wouldn't have found em. Mitch gave me a nice mixtape of the Dead I'm going to get to one of these days soon. Phish is the other one I need to give another shot, I really like em but just never became a big fan. Saw em in '04 and had a blast. I do listen to the performance they did of Exile On Main Street a lot though, one of my top 3 albums and they actually did it good justice
Old 04-27-2014, 04:43 AM   #55
eatdrink&P

Quote:
62 Reasons to Hate the Grateful Dead

1) At their Colma store, Sprint PCS has programmed some of their sample phones to not only play a Grateful Dead song, but also to flash iconic "Dead" images -- the hippie skeleton, a crown of roses, etc.

2) Jerry Garcia once said that he "produced art like some people sweat." Besides being a pretentious thing to say, no fat, hairy guy should ever draw the conversation towards sweat.

3) Bob Weir has performed in little shorts and a polo shirt since the early 1980s.

4) Bands with two drummers suck.

5) Entire generations of children have been forced to believe that this medium-tempo, country-blues music was somehow better than anything produced since.

6) In the words of Diane Arn, "I don't get what this (pointing to stage) has to do with this (pointing to audience hippie doing falling-down-the-stairs dance)

7) Unlike punks, Deadheads don't fight back. If you slam into them, they give you a hurt look and continue grooving.

8) Body odor. Plain and simple.

9)White guys with smug, self-satisfied expressions doing endless arhythmic undulations and making darn sure that you know what a great time they're having.

10) Slow, old vehicles lacking catalytic converters actually pollute more than efficient, modern ones.

11) Dogs wearing bandanas and oversized sunglasses are not funny (see previous entry).

12) Pop songs are not meant to be 25 minutes long.

13) They hijacked a set from John Fogarty during the 1992 Bill Graham Tribute concert at Golden Gate park, proving that the Grateful Dead can make any song sound identical to the one they just played.

14) You could go to a Grateful Dead show and set up a razors and deodorant concession. You'd go broke.

15) Phish.

16) The adjective "noodling," as it applies to guitar solos.

17) The band has a 100% death rate for keyboardists. And keyboardists aren't even cool.

18) During the 80s, did you ever peek into a friend's cassette collection and find 150 homemade tapes with dates and places written on them? "1/15/77, Red Rocks."

19) They hijacked many punks (including my once fierce little sister), making them into what they once hated, hippies.

20) "Hey, dude, I've got no beef with you! Mellow out!"

21) Tie-dye should, by all rights, have never lasted as a (bad) fashion choice beyond 1971.

22) They were the highest-grossing touring act in the world for the last 5 years of their career, and yet continued to promote themselves as part of a roving community of like-minded peers.

23) My little sister's friends humiliated my dad by telling him he "looked like Jerry Garcia!" while undoubtedly wearing beatific, vacuous smiles.

24) Body odor. Oh, wait, I already said that. But have you ever been to a Dead show? It's strong enough to merit two mentions.

25) Mardi Gras shows included gigantic heads being paraded around by guys wearing stilts. I ask you, where are the mimes?

26) Jerry Garcia died, and yet the band continues to re-form and play under various names.

27) Now that they're old (the ones who aren't dead), the surviving members of the Grateful Dead intend to carry on their public personas as rockers and members of the cultural elite. Witness Mickey Hart's books about drumming.

28) Mickey Hart's books on drumming and percussion have opened the eyes of legions of Babyboomers to drumming from around the world, thus setting up very uncomfortable situations for teenage boys who enter their date's home, only to be assaulted by faux-hip parents grooving to indecipherable drumming.

29) Drum circles.

30) Crop circles. Okay, that's taking it too far.

31) The verb "grooving."

32) The fact that the only good brew pub in the Haight is called "Magnolia," after the Grateful Dead song, "Sugar Magnolia." You can have the psychedelics, but please leave us the beer.

33) 22-year-olds shouldn't listen to 40-year-old rock and roll. It's just wrong.

34) Vegans who smoke cigarettes.

35) When we lived in Seattle, the Grateful Dead would play shows at Memorial Stadium. Two things would happen: 1) The entire of lower Queen Anne would be overrun with hippies. 2) We could hear the freaking Grateful Dead from our place on Capitol Hill. There was no escape.

36) Panhandling kids from upper-middle class homes.

37) My neighbor has a gigantic Grateful Dead tattoo.

38) Twenty-minute drum solos that include bongos, timpanis and weird, gong-like things.

39) Sometimes a Deadhead will talk for more than an hour about the intricate musical changes that took place after Pigpen died.

40) Deadheads somehow equate following a band around with being an artist. Sorry, making friendship bracelets doesn't count.

41) My brother-in-law the Rocket Scientist professes to like the Grateful Dead. It seems unlikely, because he's as straight as they come, and he has a very dry sense of humor, so I'm not sure if he was telling me the truth, but frankly, he kind of intimidates me so I was afraid to ask.

42) Dreadlocks on white guys.

43) Massive groups of people laughing uproariously at stuff that's not at all funny.

44) Dirty, naked kids running around because "they're free."

45) Each member of the Grateful Dead lives in a gigantic house. I live in a small, 2-bedroom place. I'll bet your house is closer in size to mine than theirs.

46) There is in-fighting among the surviving members of the group and mismanagement of the group's business. Dude, mellow out.

47) The word "mellow."

48) The fact that any group with a strong, grassroots following and a good live stadium show is automatically compared to the Grateful Dead.

49) Too many band members. Again, two drummers? Two guitarists AND a keyboard player? Do the guys on stilts wearing the oversized heads get the same percentage of the cut as the guy who hits the timpani?

50) Dirty hippies saying "trips" and "bud" as you walk through the parking lot.

51) Hacky-sack is not a sport, though it is kind of fun to walk up to a bunch of hippies kicking that thing around and say, "I've got winners, okay?"

52) Some of Jerry Garcia's country-tinged side projects were pretty good. As a result, however, Deadheads now claim country and bluegrass as their own, and nothing can destroy a good country or bluegrass show as quickly as a couple of hippies doing the falling-down-the-stairs dance alone in front of the band while everyone else is just watching.

53) Deadhead dads still think that putting their kid in a tie-dyed t-shirt is a totemic expression meaning "I'm not uncool like those other, old dads." Even worse, tie-dyed t-shirts that say "Grateful Dad."

54) Suede boots with soft soles. Totally impractical

55) Tevas with white socks. Tevas with skirts. Tevas with camping shorts. Tevas.

56) Jerry Garcia OD'ing on cocaine in the front seat of his Jaguar.

57) They ruined Ken Kesey. Okay, maybe it was the other way around?

58) Creepy skull.

59) Deadheads seem to lack any critical skills. Or perhaps it's more of a willful jettison of them. Either way, it's hard to debate someone who's bobbing their head and humming.

60) Everything is most decidedly NOT cool and mellow, and sometimes there ARE worries.

61) Even now, some ten years after Jerry Garcia's death, this band who recorded their first single in 1964 still dominates Bay Area culture enough to annoy me.

62) Their fans, like Jack, don't have shit for taste when it comes to music. Pink Floyd is the greatest band of all time
63) Ann Coulter is a Deadhead
eatdrink&P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:39 AM   #56
mjf

nice! I respect the hell out of the dead, just enjoy trolling my deadhead friends
Old 04-27-2014, 01:40 PM   #57
RageATL
The Dude abides

Quote:

Great, underrated tune.

My DMB Almanac: http://dmbalmanac.com/Member.aspx?number=576
RageATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 01:42 PM   #58
RageATL
The Dude abides

Harddrive crashed / mjf's masturbatory Pink Floyd thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by abw123 View Post
I can talk Floyd all day. Keep thread jacking!

Anyone like Obscured by Clouds? Such an underrated album.
Kick ass album. At first it seems odd that this was the predecessor to DSOTM but when you listen to it, it kinda makes sense.

Quote:

Gweeps your the man. This is officially a PF thread now

Most fans say Meddle is an extremely underrated album, which is true. But the most accurate statement IMO is that it's the first 5 songs (besides Echoes) that are what's criminally underrated. I love the piano in San Tropez, and that little guitar solo to close it off is just perfect.

I think Fearless is one of the most beautiful songs they've ever written.

Atom Heart Mother, Meddle, and Obscured By Clouds truly laid the groundwork for what was to come from there on. Stuff like San Tropez and Fearless definitely were forgotten/grown out of though by the band... which was a shame.

Huge fan of Fearleas as well. Look for the all acoustic version by Umphrey's from Toad's Place, simply sublime.

My DMB Almanac: http://dmbalmanac.com/Member.aspx?number=576
RageATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 03:04 PM   #59
gweeps

Howard Stern did some great interviews with Roger. I found them on Youtube. Waters never took any of Stern's shit.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:48 PM   #60
mjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageATL View Post
Kick ass album. At first it seems odd that this was the predecessor to DSOTM but when you listen to it, it kinda makes sense.

Huge fan of Fearleas as well. Look for the all acoustic version by Umphrey's from Toad's Place, simply sublime.
dude, awesome I don't think Floyd ever played it so I'm gonna check that out.

You know what another song like these is? Summer '68 off of Atom Heart Mother. Holy shit that ending jam is insane. Sucks they never performed that one live damn't

For any Obscured By Clodus fans, check this out -

[Only registered users can see links.]

They opened some early '73 shows with Obscured By Clouds/When You're in. That 8mm footage was discovered not too long ago, one hell of a find because any video from back then is rarer then hens teeth mostly

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc