These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 12:36 AM   #101
brian3641

I got news for you guys: Spending will increase every year and a dollar won't buy you what it used to indefinitely.
At the Riverbend gathering Boyd said "Anyone got some fucking cookies?" A minute later someone hands him a box of Oreos. He proceeds to sign it and hands it back. Guy says, "I thought you wanted some cookies?" Boyd says, "Shit man! Cookies are fucking awesome!"
brian3641 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:39 AM   #102
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Check out Eduard Saverin, a Facebook founder. He left for Singapore because of tax reasons, but the government won't you renounce your citizenship if you say it's for taxes...so he gave another reason
Tambourine Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:40 AM   #103
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambourine Man View Post
Check out Eduard Saverin, a Facebook founder. He left for Singapore because of tax reasons, but the government won't you renounce your citizenship if you say it's for taxes...so he gave another reason
yes, there is always one example of anything. that doesn't mean the rich will en masse leave the country. there are plenty of rich liberals who don't mind their tax rate going up.
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:41 AM   #104
TheSniper26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
The logic behind raising taxes on the rich is uncomfortable for me. When your justification for doing something is merely "because they can afford it," that sets a dangerous precedent.

Technically I can "afford" to pay more taxes too.
See, I'm actually in a bracket that is taxed fairly high and I have no problem with the "they can afford it" justification. My job pays extremely well but is certainly no more important and not nearly as demanding as, say, working for the fire department. But that's the balancing of the scales. My job allows me the flexibility to give a little more back without it hurting me. I'm fine with that.

Or I might renounce my citizenship and leave in a huff while firing my gold-plated automatic rifles in the air. We'll see how it plays out.
TheSniper26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:42 AM   #105
SoftMacho
Moore Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian3641 View Post
Spending is a major problem, but what should you cut? Medicare or defense spending? I know PBS is sucking us dry.
Ok, I'm going to make one last comment for your simple brain to try to soak up. Entitlement spending eats up a huge percentage of our budget and trends indicate it's only going to increase as we have a larger percentage of the public reach retirement age. Raising taxes alone ain't gonna do it. Numerous studies have indicated that taxing "the rich" at 100% of their income wouldn't touch the financial disaster we face. You have to find a way to reform these programs or else the 16+T debt we have at this point will explode beyond comprehension.
SoftMacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:43 AM   #106
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Quote:
I got news for you guys: Spending will increase every year and a dollar won't buy you what it used to indefinitely.
What's sad is that people accept this as a natural thing. It's not normal for the purchasing power of your money to go down over time.

Technology should bring down the cost of food and energy and a dollar could buy more not less every year.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:43 AM   #107
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSniper26 View Post
See, I'm actually in a bracket that is taxed fairly high and I have no problem with the "they can afford it" justification. My job pays extremely well but is certainly no more important and not nearly as demanding as, say, working for the fire department. But that's the balancing of the scales. My job allows me the flexibility to give a little more back without it hurting me. I'm fine with that.

Or I might renounce my citizenship and leave in a huff while firing my gold-plated automatic rifles in the air. We'll see how it plays out
that way certainly sounds more fun and will attract the frisky dames.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:44 AM   #108
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
What's sad is that people accept this as a natural thing. It's not normal for the purchasing power of your money to go down over time.

Technology should bring down the cost of food and energy and a dollar could buy more not less every year.
where are these paradises that have cracked that code?
Old 12-31-2012, 12:44 AM   #109
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

We have to cut both military and entitlement spending. Cutting one is not enough. And dramatic cuts too
Old 12-31-2012, 12:46 AM   #110
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddySpence View Post
where are these paradises that have cracked that code?
The United States during the 1800s when we were on the gold standard. All the advances in technology drive the prices of everything down, while the money maintained its value because it was backed by gold
Old 12-31-2012, 12:47 AM   #111
brian3641

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftMacho View Post
Ok, I'm going to make one last comment for your simple brain to try to soak up. Entitlement spending eats up a huge percentage of our budget and trends indicate it's only going to increase as we have a larger percentage of the public reach retirement age. Raising taxes alone ain't gonna do it. Numerous studies have indicated that taxing "the rich" at 100% of their income wouldn't touch the financial disaster we face. You have to find a way to reform these programs or else the 16+T debt we have at this point will explode beyond comprehension.
Guy, why is it all about entitlement spending? Yes, that's part of it. But, how about we stop giving tax breaks to companies that outsource our jobs or maybe we can stop our overly bloated defense spending? You're just coming across as very "Damn the 47%!"
At the Riverbend gathering Boyd said "Anyone got some fucking cookies?" A minute later someone hands him a box of Oreos. He proceeds to sign it and hands it back. Guy says, "I thought you wanted some cookies?" Boyd says, "Shit man! Cookies are fucking awesome!"
Old 12-31-2012, 12:49 AM   #112
brian3641

Quote:
The United States during the 1800s when we were on the gold standard. All the advances in technology drive the prices of everything down, while the money maintained its value because it was backed by gold
Quit referring to what happened 200 years ago. The world is a different place now.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:49 AM   #113
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoftMacho View Post
The liberals will have us print money to pay for it. One morning we'll a wake up and the dollar will have lost 10% over night. Confidence goes fast after that...our money won't be worth jack shit. Then even the rich won't have money for food
Old 12-31-2012, 12:49 AM   #114
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
no no, where are these countries that have maintained that type of success that you claim is possible to this very day? i mean, there should be countries out there where after a few hundred years of their dollar increasing that they should be able to buy a car for 3 bucks right?

you say this "Technology should bring down the cost of food and energy and a dollar could buy more not less every year"

but i'm not sure i know of any country that has really effectively done that.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:50 AM   #115
brian3641

I'm just glad all my money is in Yen.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:51 AM   #116
brian3641

In the 1800's everyone had gold and the country was a Utopia!
Old 12-31-2012, 12:51 AM   #117
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
The liberals will have us print money to pay for it. One morning we'll a wake up and the dollar will have lost 10% over night. Confidence goes fast after that...our money won't be worth jack shit. Then even the rich won't have money for food
Old 12-31-2012, 12:52 AM   #118
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Quote:
Guy, why is it all about entitlement spending? Yes, that's part of it. But, how about we stop giving tax breaks to companies that outsource our jobs or maybe we can stop our overly bloated defense spending? You're just coming across as very "Damn the 47%!"
The people who pay corporate tax are the consumers who buy their products. When you raise corporate taxes, they pass that along to the consumer. So that increases the prices for you when you go to the store
Old 12-31-2012, 12:52 AM   #119
brian3641

Don't worry Spence. It's not a tumor, it's just Tamby giving you a headache.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:53 AM   #120
Tambourine Man
now in Capshaw Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiddySpence View Post
no no, where are these countries that have maintained that type of success that you claim is possible to this very day? i mean, there should be countries out there where after a few hundred years of their dollar increasing that they should be able to buy a car for 3 bucks right?

you say this "Technology should bring down the cost of food and energy and a dollar could buy more not less every year"

but i'm not sure i know of any country that has really effectively done that.
All countries money is based on the dollar...that's what holds this all together

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc