These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2017, 03:40 PM   #24601
Bluewater34
Is Old

Fuck. I'm too damn old. I should rewatch that and see if it's been completely ruined by every person on earth saying "Yeah baby" for 20 years.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:52 PM   #24602
Wildcats82
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

Dr. Evil was better
Old 05-14-2017, 01:41 AM   #24603
morgadt

Tom Arnold...
Old 05-14-2017, 01:50 PM   #24604
homermcclane

Guardians 2 was great. Everyone I saw it with thought it was just as good, if not better, than the original. I'm in the just as good camp. Oddly it felt like everything the first got right this one got wrong, and vice versa.
homermcclane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 01:59 PM   #24605
NiCK Crush

I liked it more than the first. It's more fun, the villain is 10000X better and the story was just more compelling for me.

Can't wait for Vol. 3.
Old 05-14-2017, 02:11 PM   #24606
homermcclane

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiCK Crush View Post
I liked it more than the first. It's more fun, the villain is 10000X better and the story was just more compelling for me.

Can't wait for Vol. 3.
I thought it was, for lack of a better word, the deepest Marvel movie yet - it picked a clear theme and stuck with it with not just one but several characters. Overall, the story was better. However, I felt like it went too broad with the comedy at times and too over the top with spectacle. There were giant crashes and such where there didn't need to be (there was some part where Nebula and Gamora were falling from a great height, and I can't remember why), and they shoehorned in some jokes that didn't land and would've been better left alone. That said, it was funnier and the action was better than the first. Russell's character didn't do much for me; he could've used more personality.
Old 05-14-2017, 11:41 PM   #24607
gweeps

Powers Boothe has passed away at the age of 68. Natural causes, in his sleep.

[Only registered users can see links.]

I was just reminded that Boothe appeared in Bill Paxton's film Frailty.

He was great everywhere I saw him.
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 03:40 PM   #24608
morgadt

Vol. 2 was just as good as the original. I think it's one of the best follow ups to an original in the MCU.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:48 AM   #24609
RageATL
The Dude abides

Watched "Split" last night. Thought it was awful.

My DMB Almanac: http://dmbalmanac.com/Member.aspx?number=576
RageATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:07 AM   #24610
sean52692
You have failed this band

Quote:
Originally Posted by RageATL View Post
Watched "Split" last night. Thought it was awful.
Saw that one a couple nights ago. Meh. James McAvoy must have had so fun much filming, he was great and it was gripping when he was on screen. They could have had some chilling sessions with the therapist, instead they kind of pattered around.

**1/2 for me
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:10 AM   #24611
RageATL
The Dude abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean52692 View Post
Saw that one a couple nights ago. Meh. James McAvoy must have had so fun much filming, he was great and it was gripping when he was on screen. They could have had some chilling sessions with the therapist, instead they kind of pattered around.

**1/2 for me
Yep, about the same for me. McAvoy's acting was quite good, the rest of it was garbage. In addition, that
Spoiler:
tacked on bullshit at the end of the film tying it into the "Unbreakable" universe was so ridiculous.

Old 05-17-2017, 10:37 AM   #24612
mja271

Yea I wasn't a fan of Split either. Expected better based on all the positive things I heard. Thought it was solid for about 3/4 of the movie and then totally lost me and the scene you referenced in the spoiler had zero impact on me personally, thought that was pretty lame.
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:38 AM   #24613
sean52692
You have failed this band

agreed, the spoiler did nothing for me as well
sean52692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:52 AM   #24614
RageATL
The Dude abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja271 View Post
Yea I wasn't a fan of Split either. Expected better based on all the positive things I heard. Thought it was solid for about 3/4 of the movie and then totally lost me and the scene you referenced in the spoiler had zero impact on me personally, thought that was pretty lame.

Old 05-17-2017, 12:12 PM   #24615
Bluewater34
Is Old

I feel like I'm the only person who saw it that didn't like Unbreakable. In fact, I haven't really liked anything M. Night has done. The twist in The Sixth Sense got spoiled for me, so I never bothered seeing it, but I saw everything else he did previous to The Last Airbender, and was bored and frustrated by all of it.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:09 PM   #24616
RageATL
The Dude abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewater34 View Post
I feel like I'm the only person who saw it that didn't like Unbreakable. In fact, I haven't really liked anything M. Night has done. The twist in The Sixth Sense got spoiled for me, so I never bothered seeing it, but I saw everything else he did previous to The Last Airbender, and was bored and frustrated by all of it.
I didn't like Unbreakable when I first saw it either. It was tedious and boring to me. Upon my second viewing however (many years later), I thoroughly enjoyed it. The Sixth Sense I remember from when I first saw it and thought it was OK, but have not revisited it again since. I REALLY liked The Village for some reason and have watched it several times over the years. That's about it, I haven't watched any of his other films.

Old 05-20-2017, 06:16 AM   #24617
homermcclane

The twist isn't that ridiculous.

Spoiler:
The Horde was in the original Unbreakable script and was cut for time. The faceless villain who keeps the girls in the house was supposed to be Kevin and was intended to have a larger part. M. Night has talked about doing an Unbreakable trilogy since the first came out. A few years back, trying to dig out of his career hole, he said he basically cannibalized his intended Unbreakable 2 villain for a new horror movie he was writing.

Also the movies match thematically. One is about a guy struggling with becoming a superhero, and one is about a guy[s+lady] struggling with becoming a supervillain. And now he's closing out the trilogy in 2019 in a movie called Glass that's going to bring back Willis, Jackson, and McAvoy.

Of course none of this matters if you didn't like Unbreakable. It was a bold move to make a sneaky sequel to a movie a lot of people didn't care about or downright didn't like (most people in the theater seemed confused by what that scene was all about). But Unbreakable is still pretty popular with certain segments (read: nerds). While the twist was definitely a surprise, it's also not like it was just some tacked on afterthought.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:54 AM   #24618
Wildcats82
Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

Roger Ebert on "The Village" (Man I miss him)

Eventually the secret of Those, etc., is revealed. To call it an anticlimax would be an insult not only to climaxes but to prefixes. It's a crummy secret, about one step up the ladder of narrative originality from It Was All a Dream. It's so witless, in fact, that when we do discover the secret, we want to rewind the film so we don't know the secret anymore.

And then keep on rewinding, and rewinding, until we're back at the beginning, and can get up from our seats and walk backward out of the theater and go down the up escalator and watch the money spring from the cash register into our pockets.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:24 AM   #24619
gweeps

Is there a modern filmmaker with more of a drop-off in quality than Shyamalan?
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:07 AM   #24620
Bluewater34
Is Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcats82 View Post
Roger Ebert on "The Village" (Man I miss him)

when we do discover the secret, we want to rewind the film so we don't know the secret anymore.
That is 100% how I felt when I saw that movie. He was not only the best critic in the history of the profession, but seriously one of the best American writers of the modern era.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc