These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2009, 08:46 PM   #181
ethaxton
 
ethaxton's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 8,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by always40 View Post
ph - creep
tb - fake plastic trees
okc - paranoid android (or karma police)
ka - how to disappear completely
a - i might be wrong (although live my vote goes to like spinning plates, and pyramid song is quite fantastic)
httt - there there
ir - weird fishes (or reckoner)

and while i think okc is their best album, the bends is my favorite, and in rainbows is in my top 3. nothing against kid a. it's fantastic, and amnesiac really is underrated. httt, however, just didn't cut it for me. never could get into pablo honey at all though.

not to go off topic, but it's similar to how uttad is my favorite dmb album, even though i think btcs is their best. i fell in love with dmb with uttad and i fell in love with radiohead with the bends.
Pretty much the way I feel
ethaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:35 PM   #182
FiddySpence
TDCya
 
FiddySpence's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 67,585
hiatus from traditional albums already over

[Only registered users can see links.]

There’s been a lot of speculation on Radiohead’s next album. Would it ever be recorded? Or would be just get digital tracks, EP’s or whatever made the press. Ed O’Brien confirmed that a new Radiohead album (yes, album) is in the making.

It was the interview in The Believer that kick-started a lot of rumours on Radiohead’s future. Thom Yorke told the magazine: “None of us want to go into that creative hoo-ha of a long-play record again.(…) But we’ve all said that we can’t possibly dive into that again. It’ll kill us.” The news hit the press worldwide.

Radiohead have spent this Summer in the studio, releasing tracks online like ‘Harry Patch (In Memory Of)’ and ‘These Are My Twisted Words’. This sort of seemed like they were serious about not releasing albums in the future. But guitarist Ed O’Brien has confirmed that the band is in fact interested in recording more albums and the follow-up to ‘In Rainbows’ is actually in the making.

Ed O’Brien told NME that with sessions planned this winter the band would “definitely” be releasing a full album physically next year.
“We were misquoted,” claimed O’Brien of Yorke’s comments, loudly adding, “WE WILL BE MAKING AN ALBUM!” Although he said the band hadn’t decided how it would be released, he said the album would come out on vinyl and CD whether it first arrived as a download or not.

“We love the artwork; that’s really important, the physicality,” he explanied. “And we all like vinyl. That’s not going to go away. I still like CDs as well. I got the Speech Debelle CD the other day – I nearly downloaded it from iTunes but I thought, ‘No. I want the physical thing.’”

O’Brien wouldn’t be drawn on specific tracks, but suggested that recent free download ‘There Are My Twisted Words’ was not a marker for the album.

On releasing ‘These Are My Twisted Words’ online he said: “It’s a kind of one-off. It could have been a darker side of ‘In Rainbows’ – it’s got that autumnal vibe, we’re leaving the summer and going into the darkness.”

He added that with Radiohead set to reconvene in their Oxfordshire studio this winter, the season might similarly affect the new songs. “Typical Radiohead,” he laughed. “We’re going into the studio in winter. It’s always miserable! Are we at the whim of the seasons? We are! When you’re in a studio in the countryside, the music you make is definitely affected by what season it is.”
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:36 PM   #183
NiCK Crush
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 46,376
that lasted long
__________________
NC
NiCK Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:44 PM   #184
sdaltons
 
sdaltons's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 11,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiCK Crush View Post
that lasted long
nevertheless, i'm pretty pleased with this development
__________________
-Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittay
but what if the DMB's GGT was a really GGT, then D&F's GGT wouldn't be such a GGT as DMB's GGT, WWYS?
sdaltons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 06:45 PM   #185
FiddySpence
TDCya
 
FiddySpence's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 67,585
the pretty much sums up Yorke and his mouth.
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:03 PM   #186
NiCK Crush
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 46,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdaltons View Post
nevertheless, i'm pretty pleased with this development
Don't get me wrong, I am too.
__________________
NC
NiCK Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:49 PM   #187
Tomacco
 
Tomacco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 20,447
Well, it's a relief, that's for sure. I'm certainly up for a new album.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:39 AM   #188
gweeps
 
gweeps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Kingston ON, Canada
Posts: 22,180
the raindrops...

I love Hail to the Thief. So diverse.

Oh yeah, and watch this: [Only registered users can see links.]
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:52 AM   #189
Tomacco
 
Tomacco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 20,447
People rip on HTTT for whatever reasons, but honestly, that was the album that turned me into a Radiohead fanatic, and it is indeed because the album is so diverse and really embodies every aspect of what the band is all about. You've got your weird experimental electronic stuff (Sit Down Stand Up, Backdrifts, The Gloaming), mellow piano songs (Sail to the Moon, We Suck Young Blood, Punchup), the rock and distorted guitar type songs (Go to Sleep, 2+2=5, Myxamatosis, Where I End and You Begin), and some stuff in between (I Will, A Wolf at the Door). All in all, that album will always hold a special place in my heart for getting me into Radiohead and encouraging me to broaden my musical horizons all in all back in 2003 and onward.

As for this Prague DVD, I need to free up some hard drive space to download it but I'm sure it's awesome. Can't wait for their next album. In Rainbows is one of my favorite albums of all time by any band and a true work of art, and I am thrilled the band is still doing new albums. "These Are My Twisted Words" was a good track ("Harry Patch" less so).
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:59 AM   #190
gweeps
 
gweeps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Kingston ON, Canada
Posts: 22,180
Harry Patch reminded me of this:

gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:12 AM   #191
FiddySpence
TDCya
 
FiddySpence's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 67,585
yeah i love that prague dvd. idioteque is almost just too much sometimes, a young stoned man's heart can't take that kind of intensity
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:19 PM   #192
dandtrock
 
dandtrock's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: saint paul, mn
Posts: 1,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
People rip on HTTT for whatever reasons, but honestly, that was the album that turned me into a Radiohead fanatic, and it is indeed because the album is so diverse and really embodies every aspect of what the band is all about. You've got your weird experimental electronic stuff (Sit Down Stand Up, Backdrifts, The Gloaming), mellow piano songs (Sail to the Moon, We Suck Young Blood, Punchup), the rock and distorted guitar type songs (Go to Sleep, 2+2=5, Myxamatosis, Where I End and You Begin), and some stuff in between (I Will, A Wolf at the Door). All in all, that album will always hold a special place in my heart for getting me into Radiohead and encouraging me to broaden my musical horizons all in all back in 2003 and onward.

As for this Prague DVD, I need to free up some hard drive space to download it but I'm sure it's awesome. Can't wait for their next album. In Rainbows is one of my favorite albums of all time by any band and a true work of art, and I am thrilled the band is still doing new albums. "These Are My Twisted Words" was a good track ("Harry Patch" less so).
i joined up after hearing OKC, but i totally agree about HTTT. to me it's like a walk through a diverse wilderness. come to think of it, i'm in a state enough to put that on right now.
dandtrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:22 AM   #193
Tomacco
 
Tomacco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 20,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandtrock View Post
i joined up after hearing OKC, but i totally agree about HTTT. to me it's like a walk through a diverse wilderness. come to think of it, i'm in a state enough to put that on right now.
Amen. Also, somehow I forgot all about There, There in going over the album there. Big mistaken omission on my part - that song is phenomenal.
Tomacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 07:25 AM   #194
gweeps
 
gweeps's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Kingston ON, Canada
Posts: 22,180
The first Radiohead song I heard was Creep way back in 1996. I liked it. Fact is I've never stopped liking Radiohead.
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:29 AM   #195
NiCK Crush
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 46,376
Creep is terrible.
__________________
NC
NiCK Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:53 AM   #196
TheSniper26
Registered User
 
TheSniper26's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomacco View Post
HTTT is so diverse and really embodies every aspect of what the band is all about.
I agree with your whole post but I'm just quoting this bit to save space. Though I don't think it's their best album or anything, I've always loved HTTT for the way it kind of covers all of the band's "phases". Some people saw it as a step back, but I saw it more as them finding balance and reining in a style that might have been starting to get a little tired(the experimental/ambient/electronic sound of Amnesiac and Kid A).

Last edited by TheSniper26; 09-01-2010 at 11:43 AM.
TheSniper26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:51 AM   #197
SonofSuns34
There are no strings on me...
 
SonofSuns34's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 3,376
^ I agree with you about HTTT being diverse and incorporating the different sounds and themes that Radiohead had explored in their previous albums, and bringing it back from getting too weird.

I thought this was interesting

[Only registered users can see links.]

I listened to the first 8 tracks of this playlist last night, it seemed to flow together nicely, the beats at the end of Airbag lead into the claps from 15 Step, Paranoid Android flowed into Nude almost perfectly. Now I am not sure if this sounds so nice because I am so familiar with each album, or like people are saying it was done intentionally. Apparently someone who is close to Thom said that he was frustrated that it is taking people this long to see it due to all the clues left for us... (in one of the puddlegum articles)
One thing I did notice was that the soundscape was similar from track to track, the instruments and layers were similar on both albums, it was easier to pick up on with good headphones on as opposed to listening through speakers...

Going to finish this up tonight if I can, just wanted to see if anyone else had tried this out and heard similar results, or am I just seeing connections because I have a predisposition to look for them. I picked up on the airbag beats and Paranoid Android into Nude on my own, then read those examples in one of the articles so take that for what it is worth.
SonofSuns34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:08 AM   #198
batleon
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: MA by way of RI
Posts: 14,677
Hmmmm this is very interesting... I am going to have to give this a try.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
LET THE ALMANAC PICK SONGS / LIVE TRAX.
batleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:15 AM   #199
sdaltons
 
sdaltons's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 11,906
i was hoping this was going to be new album news, but that's pretty cool
__________________
-Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittay
but what if the DMB's GGT was a really GGT, then D&F's GGT wouldn't be such a GGT as DMB's GGT, WWYS?
sdaltons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:41 AM   #200
raven
 
raven's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Newtown, CT
Posts: 9,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofSuns34 View Post
I listened to the first 8 tracks of this playlist last night, it seemed to flow together nicely, the beats at the end of Airbag lead into the claps from 15 Step, Paranoid Android flowed into Nude almost perfectly. Now I am not sure if this sounds so nice because I am so familiar with each album, or like people are saying it was done intentionally. Apparently someone who is close to Thom said that he was frustrated that it is taking people this long to see it due to all the clues left for us... (in one of the puddlegum articles)
One thing I did notice was that the soundscape was similar from track to track, the instruments and layers were similar on both albums, it was easier to pick up on with good headphones on as opposed to listening through speakers...
that's a really cool idea
raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:36 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2006 thesedayscontinue.org

Page generated in 0.08578 seconds with 17 queries