These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2006, 10:06 PM   #81
bbycrei

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchattr View Post
Two shows ago (the Bucknell show from the last tour), he seemed to spend more time on the kit than on the synth-axe, and it was awesome. He's a really, really talented drummer, and knowing that actually has made the synth-axe a little worse for me. I've never been a huge fan of it, but after hearing what they sound like with drums, I was just stoked.
If I remember, he just got bored of playing the drums and wanted to do his own thing. It's a cool little tool, but there has to be some time when he is behind a full kit with no synth ax. Now that would be sick. At the Princeton show, Jeff told me that he's just amazing behind the drums, now when will that happen, who knows?
Old 12-19-2006, 11:31 PM   #82
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
Actually there was a Wooten Family show back in...I wanna say '93? Futureman played on a standard kit. I think Bela sat in as well. I think this was the last time Futureman played a standard kit.
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 03:19 AM   #83
mrchattr
My office...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbycrei View Post
If I remember, he just got bored of playing the drums and wanted to do his own thing. It's a cool little tool, but there has to be some time when he is behind a full kit with no synth ax. Now that would be sick. At the Princeton show, Jeff told me that he's just amazing behind the drums, now when will that happen, who knows?
Honestly, a lot of the time he played with one hand on the drums and one hand on the synth-axe, but it was easy to tell what sounds were coming from which...and with one hand, he played better than most drummers I've seen do with two hands.
mrchattr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 06:28 AM   #84
DMBTex10101
doing the hippo thing

Quote:
Two shows ago (the Bucknell show from the last tour), he seemed to spend more time on the kit than on the synth-axe, and it was awesome. He's a really, really talented drummer, and knowing that actually has made the synth-axe a little worse for me. I've never been a huge fan of it, but after hearing what they sound like with drums, I was just stoked.
Yes, he played the kit a lot more this year, well what little bit of a kit he brings with the Flecktones. Most of the songs from the new album required it. Which is a good thing. I never was a fan of the Drumitar either. Perhaps if I actually saw him play a real kit, it would be a good thing, and I might enjoy him a little more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
Actually there was a Wooten Family show back in...I wanna say '93? Futureman played on a standard kit. I think Bela sat in as well. I think this was the last time Futureman played a standard kit.
Actually, he's played the kit on many occasions within the past few years, but none with the Flecktones (unfortunately). He toured with Isaah Williams in early '04, and played the kit. And he did a show with YMSB last year in which he played the kit. Plus, he's doing another YMSB show on New Year's Eve, in which I'm sure he'll do it again. Plus whenever he tours with Jeff Coffin's Mu'tet, he plays the kit.

I know he does it very rarely, I just hope to catch one of these rare times. You can only hear "he's an amazing drummer" so many times without seeing it before you start to wonder.

Archives in Cowtown
DMBTex10101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 07:01 AM   #85
Fan#41

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBTex10101 View Post
Actually, he's played the kit on many occasions within the past few years, but none with the Flecktones (unfortunately).
That's what I meant, since Bela sat in and it was with Victor, that it was technically with the 'Tones.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:54 AM   #86
bbycrei

Quote:
Plus whenever he tours with Jeff Coffin's Mu'tet, he plays the kit.
Now all Jeff needs to do is come up to the north east. I saw him in Annapolis last year and that was about as far north as he came up. I'd love to catch him in NYC, Philly or NJ.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:18 AM   #87
mrchattr
My office...

Quote:
Now all Jeff needs to do is come up to the north east. I saw him in Annapolis last year and that was about as far north as he came up. I'd love to catch him in NYC, Philly or NJ.
What kind of stuff does Coffin play? Is it more traditional jazz than the 'Tones? Or more like a Mike Stern/Flecktones mash up type thing? I'm very curious, because I love his sax playing. And his water bottle playing.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:02 PM   #88
bbycrei

Quote:
What kind of stuff does Coffin play? Is it more traditional jazz than the 'Tones? Or more like a Mike Stern/Flecktones mash up type thing? I'm very curious, because I love his sax playing. And his water bottle playing.
Traditional jazz and w/ lots of different time signatures. He extends things out so much and people take thier time w/ solos, a 4 minute song could go at least 15 minutes because everyone takes a solo and goes to town. There are a few of his shows up on Archive.org to check out. I was at the the one in Rams Head in Annapolis. He changes group members all the time so each show is very unique but I really enjoy Jeff's stuff. Mad Hatter is one of my favorite songs from his new album Bloom (I think the time sig for that was like 17/4 or something like that).
Old 12-20-2006, 03:37 PM   #89
DMBTex10101
doing the hippo thing

Quote:
That's what I meant, since Bela sat in and it was with Victor, that it was technically with the 'Tones.
Yeah, I wasn't sure if that was what you meant.

Archives in Cowtown
Old 12-20-2006, 07:09 PM   #90
mrchattr
My office...

Quote:
Traditional jazz and w/ lots of different time signatures. He extends things out so much and people take thier time w/ solos, a 4 minute song could go at least 15 minutes because everyone takes a solo and goes to town. There are a few of his shows up on Archive.org to check out. I was at the the one in Rams Head in Annapolis. He changes group members all the time so each show is very unique but I really enjoy Jeff's stuff. Mad Hatter is one of my favorite songs from his new album Bloom (I think the time sig for that was like 17/4 or something like that).
Does anyone have a show they'd be willing to YSI or something? I have issues with my computer right now...MP3s would be fine (unless you think it'd offend the taper, I'm just going to convert myself though to listen).
Old 12-20-2006, 07:37 PM   #91
DMBTex10101
doing the hippo thing

Quote:
Does anyone have a show they'd be willing to YSI or something? I have issues with my computer right now...MP3s would be fine (unless you think it'd offend the taper, I'm just going to convert myself though to listen).
There are several shows available for download on archive.org. That would be the easiest way.

This is one of my favorites:
[Only registered users can see links.]

If you can't get it that way, let me know I'll find a way to up it.

Also, the Chris Thile stuff is well on it's way, I had some stuff at work to take care of, but I'll have it up soon.

Archives in Cowtown
Old 12-21-2006, 12:30 AM   #92
mrchattr
My office...

Quote:
There are several shows available for download on archive.org. That would be the easiest way.

This is one of my favorites:

If you can't get it that way, let me know I'll find a way to up it.

Also, the Chris Thile stuff is well on it's way, I had some stuff at work to take care of, but I'll have it up soon.
Work stuff? Man, I thought you were a real fan. I guess I know the truth now. Forget it!

Seriously, though, thanks man! I'm stoked!
Old 12-21-2006, 01:01 AM   #93
groove merchant
"MACLAREN"

i havnt read this whole thread...but...check the sig. great show from 91. one of my favs.

groove merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 04:55 PM   #94
DMBTex10101
doing the hippo thing

Quote:
Work stuff? Man, I thought you were a real fan. I guess I know the truth now. Forget it!

Seriously, though, thanks man! I'm stoked!
Finished, hope you enjoy. I've been meaning to do this for a while, but never got around to it.

Hope lossless files are alright, I didn't wanna convert them all, it's a couple different sources too. But here it is, a large zip file.

Flecktones & Chris Thile Compilation

I know I enjoyed it when I listened to it straight through.
Attached Files
File Type: txt bfft+ct_comp.txt (2.4 KB, 14 views)

Archives in Cowtown
Old 12-21-2006, 07:15 PM   #95
Fan#41

I still have a bunch of analogs that I've never found digital copies of. A few from '98. 3/17/98 is a really fun show, with a loud crowd, and one of the finest performances of Trane To Canamara.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:17 PM   #96
bbycrei

Quote:
I still have a bunch of analogs that I've never found digital copies of. A few from '98. 3/17/98 is a really fun show, with a loud crowd, and one of the finest performances of Trane To Canamara.
If you can transfer them please do, the more shows the better
Old 12-21-2006, 11:33 PM   #97
mrchattr
My office...

Quote:
Finished, hope you enjoy. I've been meaning to do this for a while, but never got around to it.

Hope lossless files are alright, I didn't wanna convert them all, it's a couple different sources too. But here it is, a large zip file.

Flecktones & Chris Thile Compilation

I know I enjoyed it when I listened to it straight through.
Wooooooooooo! My hero! Thank you.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:19 AM   #98
DMBTex10101
doing the hippo thing

Quote:
If you can transfer them please do, the more shows the better
I agree.

Archives in Cowtown
Old 01-06-2007, 06:32 PM   #99
DMBTex10101
doing the hippo thing

Hey guys, I just put a more rare show up on bt.etree.org. It hasn't circulated much at all, so I figured this would be the best way to do it.

Got it from a friend of the taper just a bit ago. Hope you guys enjoy!

Archives in Cowtown
Old 01-06-2007, 07:51 PM   #100
bbycrei

I think at some point we might want to try to get every show we have and get it up on the archive. would be a great thing to get them all up there.

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc