These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2006, 03:21 PM   #21
Fan#41
 
Homers Beer Run Champion!
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somerville, MA
Posts: 30,690
I would LOVE to get that DVD Tex!
__________________
Variety of emotion is good...it just makes the music different colors. - LeRoi Moore
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 03:33 PM   #22
Fan#41
 
Homers Beer Run Champion!
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somerville, MA
Posts: 30,690
My favorite Flecktones album is still Three Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. I still think it was their biggest leap in maturity and exploration. Little Worlds is def an acheivement, but from 1993 - 1995, that growth spurt remains the biggest they've ever had. Of course they've grown and matured even greater over the years, but it's been subtle. When Cuckoo's Nest was released it was such a major shift and upgrade in the Flecktones sound that it got them so recognized within the music industry.
__________________
Variety of emotion is good...it just makes the music different colors. - LeRoi Moore
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 03:38 PM   #23
DMBTex10101
doing the hippo thing
 
DMBTex10101's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ft. Worth, TX
Posts: 4,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
My favorite Flecktones album is still Three Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. I still think it was their biggest leap in maturity and exploration. Little Worlds is def an acheivement, but from 1993 - 1995, that growth spurt remains the biggest they've ever had. Of course they've grown and matured even greater over the years, but it's been subtle. When Cuckoo's Nest was released it was such a major shift and upgrade in the Flecktones sound that it got them so recognized within the music industry that a little over 2 years later the Grammy's would acknowledge them for their live album "Live Art".
At Last We Meet Again may be one of the most beautiful songs ever recorded.

Definitely a great album and a major turning point for the band. Branford Marsalis is a great addition, he (and obviously Bruce as well) really fit in with the guys when he was around. I'd like to hear him try his hand on a few of the newer tunes, plus it would be interesting to see him and Jeff together on the same stage.
__________________
Tex

Archives in Cowtown
DMBTex10101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 03:42 PM   #24
Fan#41
 
Homers Beer Run Champion!
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somerville, MA
Posts: 30,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBTex10101 View Post
At Last We Meet Again may be one of the most beautiful songs ever recorded.

Definitely a great album and a major turning point for the band. Branford Marsalis is a great addition, he (and obviously Bruce as well) really fit in with the guys when he was around. I'd like to hear him try his hand on a few of the newer tunes, plus it would be interesting to see him and Jeff together on the same stage.
I agree. At Last is my fav Flecktones song. I also just adore the production of the album as well. It's smooth yet raw, without sounding sloppy, ya know? I love how seperated everyone is on the album. And yea, Bruce was such a great addition.

What's your fav album?
__________________
Variety of emotion is good...it just makes the music different colors. - LeRoi Moore
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 03:49 PM   #25
DMBTex10101
doing the hippo thing
 
DMBTex10101's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ft. Worth, TX
Posts: 4,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
I agree. At Last is my fav Flecktones song. I also just adore the production of the album as well. It's smooth yet raw, without sounding sloppy, ya know? I love how seperated everyone is on the album. And yea, Bruce was such a great addition.

What's your fav album?
Well, Live Art is by far my favorite. But as for Studio, I'm torn between Little Worlds & UFO Tofu.

UFO Tofu has always been a favorite of mine. It was the first of the albums with Howard that I was able to find and pick up, so that may be a reason. But the song selection is great, it has some of my favorite tunes, and they just sound so great in the studio.

As for production, I really can't say much, it seems like everything Bela gets his hands on turns out so well and always seems to have every instrument mixed in just right. I think Bela is an amazing producer, even when you get 10-12 instruments on the same track, everything still sounds so crisp and clean, and never crowded (see Sleeper). The rest of Little Worlds speaks for it's self.
__________________
Tex

Archives in Cowtown
DMBTex10101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 03:52 PM   #26
Fan#41
 
Homers Beer Run Champion!
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somerville, MA
Posts: 30,690
I agree with everything. True North on Ufo Tofu is one of my favorite songs. I love the Austin City Limits performance of the tune.
__________________
Variety of emotion is good...it just makes the music different colors. - LeRoi Moore
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 03:52 PM   #27
DMBTex10101
doing the hippo thing
 
DMBTex10101's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ft. Worth, TX
Posts: 4,104
By the way, for anyone who doesn't have them already, they are up on my site:

'06 Bonnaroo show:
[Only registered users can see links.]

11-17-03 Conan Performance:
[Only registered users can see links.]

If there are any other specific videos anyone wants, let me know. If I have them, I'll put them up as well.
__________________
Tex

Archives in Cowtown
DMBTex10101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 03:55 PM   #28
bbycrei
 
bbycrei's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 2,779
All this talk about best albums. I can't say for sure right now, but I'm hoping one of my christmas presents is the last 4 albums I need to finish my collection, UFO Tofu, Flight of the Cosmic Hippo, Three Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and Outbound.
__________________
-Eric
bbycrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 03:55 PM   #29
DMBTex10101
doing the hippo thing
 
DMBTex10101's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ft. Worth, TX
Posts: 4,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
I agree with everything. True North on Ufo Tofu is one of my favorite songs. I love the Austin City Limits performance of the tune.
Without a doubt.

I'm a huge fan of Bonnie & Slyde. It's one of my favorite songs, and it always seems to get over looked. He had just a couple tunes that he used the slide on, and they were really really good, I like the effect the slide gives the banjo. This one and Road House Blues are two of my favorites, just because of the slide.
__________________
Tex

Archives in Cowtown
DMBTex10101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 03:59 PM   #30
DMBTex10101
doing the hippo thing
 
DMBTex10101's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ft. Worth, TX
Posts: 4,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbycrei View Post
All this talk about best albums. I can't say for sure right now, but I'm hoping one of my christmas presents is the last 4 albums I need to finish my collection, UFO Tofu, Flight of the Cosmic Hippo, Three Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and Outbound.
Definitely work on finishing off the collection, you are missing a couple of the must haves from these guys.

On the other hand, I could never get into Flight of the Cosmic Hippo. Great songs and it's a well rounded album, I just never catch myself putting it on. And Outbound has it's moments, but I prefer live versions of almost every song on the album. Plus if I wanna hear Outbound tunes, I usually just watch Live at the Quick.

But yeah, definitely get the whole lot of 'em. I was lucky enough to find the Border's special edition Outbound with the bonus disk (with one track), so that's kind of cool, but I rarely listen to it . . .
__________________
Tex

Archives in Cowtown
DMBTex10101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 04:02 PM   #31
bbycrei
 
bbycrei's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 2,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBTex10101 View Post
Definitely work on finishing off the collection, you are missing a couple of the must haves from these guys.

On the other hand, I could never get into Flight of the Cosmic Hippo. Great songs and it's a well rounded album, I just never catch myself putting it on. And Outbound has it's moments, but I prefer live versions of almost every song on the album. Plus if I wanna hear Outbound tunes, I usually just watch Live at the Quick.

But yeah, definitely get the whole lot of 'em. I was lucky enough to find the Border's special edition Outbound with the bonus disk (with one track), so that's kind of cool, but I rarely listen to it . . .
Yah back when I first started I seemed to like Jeff better than Howard (I had some old soundboard back from 92 or 93 when they did that NYC tour). After I bought the self titled album I know there are some songs that Howard does much better than Jeff (Half Moon Bay for example).
__________________
-Eric
bbycrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 04:07 PM   #32
DMBTex10101
doing the hippo thing
 
DMBTex10101's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ft. Worth, TX
Posts: 4,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbycrei View Post
Yah back when I first started I seemed to like Jeff better than Howard (I had some old soundboard back from 92 or 93 when they did that NYC tour). After I bought the self titled album I know there are some songs that Howard does much better than Jeff (Half Moon Bay for example).
I agree on Half Moon Bay, and I like Howard on Sinister Minister, and a couple others.

On the other hand, I've absolutely loved Jeff's quirky-ness on Frontiers this year. Frontiers has always been a great tune, and he really gave it what it needed to be a major live song.

To take it a step further, his work on the soprano in general has been out of this world. It's so nice that he has a few more soprano songs to play with now. I remember back in '04 Bela was saying he randomly threw Stomping Grounds into the middle of the set because Jeff hadn't used his Soprano all night. Now it's kind of the other way around. Loving the soprano, keep it up Jeff.
__________________
Tex

Archives in Cowtown
DMBTex10101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 04:09 PM   #33
bbycrei
 
bbycrei's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 2,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBTex10101 View Post
I agree on Half Moon Bay, and I like Howard on Sinister Minister, and a couple others.

On the other hand, I've absolutely loved Jeff's quirky-ness on Frontiers this year. Frontiers has always been a great tune, and he really gave it what it needed to be a major live song.

To take it a step further, his work on the soprano in general has been out of this world. It's so nice that he has a few more soprano songs to play with now. I remember back in '04 Bela was saying he randomly threw Stomping Grounds into the middle of the set because Jeff hadn't used his Soprano all night. Now it's kind of the other way around. Loving the soprano, keep it up Jeff.
Jeff really was a great addition to the band and he really is my favorite member of the band. He just adds so much to anything he can get his hands on. His solo stuff is pretty good too, just need to get some more of his albums too.
__________________
-Eric
bbycrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 06:28 PM   #34
Fan#41
 
Homers Beer Run Champion!
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somerville, MA
Posts: 30,690
Just thought I'd throw this out there; Bela Fleck has won 8 grammy's, and has been nominated more than 20 times. Bela's been nominated in more different catagories than anyone in the history of the Grammy's.
__________________
Variety of emotion is good...it just makes the music different colors. - LeRoi Moore
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 12:17 AM   #35
Smokey the Bear
Whats wrong with being sexy?
 
Smokey the Bear's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wisconsin / Boston
Posts: 9,798
We need a Live Art 2
__________________
-Mike
Smokey the Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 07:22 AM   #36
DMBTex10101
doing the hippo thing
 
DMBTex10101's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ft. Worth, TX
Posts: 4,104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey the Bear View Post
We need a Live Art 2
Agreed. They have plenty of unreleased material to do another disk (or two) like this, I think it's just a matter of time.
__________________
Tex

Archives in Cowtown
DMBTex10101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 11:45 AM   #37
jaguaracer
The Cosmic Hippo
 
jaguaracer's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 511
Another TDCer with a hippo av finally jumping into this thread.
__________________
DC
jaguaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 11:48 AM   #38
jaguaracer
The Cosmic Hippo
 
jaguaracer's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 511
As for a contribution ... [Only registered users can see links.]
Take a listen to Jeff's jam on New South Africa.
__________________
DC
jaguaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 12:00 PM   #39
Fan#41
 
Homers Beer Run Champion!
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Somerville, MA
Posts: 30,690
Dan, do you happen to have any of the Flecktones appearances on Leno?
__________________
Variety of emotion is good...it just makes the music different colors. - LeRoi Moore
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 09:08 PM   #40
shnick
Bob Loblaw, Attorney at Law
 
shnick's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Vail, CO
Posts: 4,968
this was one of my favorite threads at ufck. glad to see the 'tones getting some love here

on a side note, i saw vic two weeks ago at berklee and it was mindblowing. if anyone is lucky enough to be near him when he rolls through, treat yourself to that show
__________________
-nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBI
my car insurance costs more than you get in welfare each month, stop laughing.
shnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:18 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2006 thesedayscontinue.org

Page generated in 0.09067 seconds with 17 queries