Old 12-09-2006, 03:21 PM   #21
Fan#41

Homers Beer Run Champion!
I would LOVE to get that DVD Tex!
Fan#41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 03:33 PM   #22
Fan#41

My favorite Flecktones album is still Three Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. I still think it was their biggest leap in maturity and exploration. Little Worlds is def an acheivement, but from 1993 - 1995, that growth spurt remains the biggest they've ever had. Of course they've grown and matured even greater over the years, but it's been subtle. When Cuckoo's Nest was released it was such a major shift and upgrade in the Flecktones sound that it got them so recognized within the music industry.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:38 PM   #23
DMBTex10101
doing the hippo thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan#41 View Post
My favorite Flecktones album is still Three Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest. I still think it was their biggest leap in maturity and exploration. Little Worlds is def an acheivement, but from 1993 - 1995, that growth spurt remains the biggest they've ever had. Of course they've grown and matured even greater over the years, but it's been subtle. When Cuckoo's Nest was released it was such a major shift and upgrade in the Flecktones sound that it got them so recognized within the music industry that a little over 2 years later the Grammy's would acknowledge them for their live album "Live Art".
At Last We Meet Again may be one of the most beautiful songs ever recorded.

Definitely a great album and a major turning point for the band. Branford Marsalis is a great addition, he (and obviously Bruce as well) really fit in with the guys when he was around. I'd like to hear him try his hand on a few of the newer tunes, plus it would be interesting to see him and Jeff together on the same stage.

Archives in Cowtown
DMBTex10101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 03:42 PM   #24
Fan#41

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMBTex10101 View Post
At Last We Meet Again may be one of the most beautiful songs ever recorded.

Definitely a great album and a major turning point for the band. Branford Marsalis is a great addition, he (and obviously Bruce as well) really fit in with the guys when he was around. I'd like to hear him try his hand on a few of the newer tunes, plus it would be interesting to see him and Jeff together on the same stage.
I agree. At Last is my fav Flecktones song. I also just adore the production of the album as well. It's smooth yet raw, without sounding sloppy, ya know? I love how seperated everyone is on the album. And yea, Bruce was such a great addition.

What's your fav album?
Old 12-09-2006, 03:49 PM   #25
DMBTex10101
doing the hippo thing

Quote:
I agree. At Last is my fav Flecktones song. I also just adore the production of the album as well. It's smooth yet raw, without sounding sloppy, ya know? I love how seperated everyone is on the album. And yea, Bruce was such a great addition.

What's your fav album?
Well, Live Art is by far my favorite. But as for Studio, I'm torn between Little Worlds & UFO Tofu.

UFO Tofu has always been a favorite of mine. It was the first of the albums with Howard that I was able to find and pick up, so that may be a reason. But the song selection is great, it has some of my favorite tunes, and they just sound so great in the studio.

As for production, I really can't say much, it seems like everything Bela gets his hands on turns out so well and always seems to have every instrument mixed in just right. I think Bela is an amazing producer, even when you get 10-12 instruments on the same track, everything still sounds so crisp and clean, and never crowded (see Sleeper). The rest of Little Worlds speaks for it's self.

Archives in Cowtown
Old 12-09-2006, 03:52 PM   #26
Fan#41

I agree with everything. True North on Ufo Tofu is one of my favorite songs. I love the Austin City Limits performance of the tune.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:52 PM   #27
DMBTex10101
doing the hippo thing

By the way, for anyone who doesn't have them already, they are up on my site:

'06 Bonnaroo show:
[Only registered users can see links.]

11-17-03 Conan Performance:
[Only registered users can see links.]

If there are any other specific videos anyone wants, let me know. If I have them, I'll put them up as well.

Archives in Cowtown
Old 12-09-2006, 03:55 PM   #28
bbycrei

All this talk about best albums. I can't say for sure right now, but I'm hoping one of my christmas presents is the last 4 albums I need to finish my collection, UFO Tofu, Flight of the Cosmic Hippo, Three Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and Outbound.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:55 PM   #29
DMBTex10101
doing the hippo thing

Quote:
I agree with everything. True North on Ufo Tofu is one of my favorite songs. I love the Austin City Limits performance of the tune.
Without a doubt.

I'm a huge fan of Bonnie & Slyde. It's one of my favorite songs, and it always seems to get over looked. He had just a couple tunes that he used the slide on, and they were really really good, I like the effect the slide gives the banjo. This one and Road House Blues are two of my favorites, just because of the slide.

Archives in Cowtown
Old 12-09-2006, 03:59 PM   #30
DMBTex10101
doing the hippo thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbycrei View Post
All this talk about best albums. I can't say for sure right now, but I'm hoping one of my christmas presents is the last 4 albums I need to finish my collection, UFO Tofu, Flight of the Cosmic Hippo, Three Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and Outbound.
Definitely work on finishing off the collection, you are missing a couple of the must haves from these guys.

On the other hand, I could never get into Flight of the Cosmic Hippo. Great songs and it's a well rounded album, I just never catch myself putting it on. And Outbound has it's moments, but I prefer live versions of almost every song on the album. Plus if I wanna hear Outbound tunes, I usually just watch Live at the Quick.

But yeah, definitely get the whole lot of 'em. I was lucky enough to find the Border's special edition Outbound with the bonus disk (with one track), so that's kind of cool, but I rarely listen to it . . .

Archives in Cowtown
Old 12-09-2006, 04:02 PM   #31
bbycrei

Quote:
Definitely work on finishing off the collection, you are missing a couple of the must haves from these guys.

On the other hand, I could never get into Flight of the Cosmic Hippo. Great songs and it's a well rounded album, I just never catch myself putting it on. And Outbound has it's moments, but I prefer live versions of almost every song on the album. Plus if I wanna hear Outbound tunes, I usually just watch Live at the Quick.

But yeah, definitely get the whole lot of 'em. I was lucky enough to find the Border's special edition Outbound with the bonus disk (with one track), so that's kind of cool, but I rarely listen to it . . .
Yah back when I first started I seemed to like Jeff better than Howard (I had some old soundboard back from 92 or 93 when they did that NYC tour). After I bought the self titled album I know there are some songs that Howard does much better than Jeff (Half Moon Bay for example).
Old 12-09-2006, 04:07 PM   #32
DMBTex10101
doing the hippo thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbycrei View Post
Yah back when I first started I seemed to like Jeff better than Howard (I had some old soundboard back from 92 or 93 when they did that NYC tour). After I bought the self titled album I know there are some songs that Howard does much better than Jeff (Half Moon Bay for example).
I agree on Half Moon Bay, and I like Howard on Sinister Minister, and a couple others.

On the other hand, I've absolutely loved Jeff's quirky-ness on Frontiers this year. Frontiers has always been a great tune, and he really gave it what it needed to be a major live song.

To take it a step further, his work on the soprano in general has been out of this world. It's so nice that he has a few more soprano songs to play with now. I remember back in '04 Bela was saying he randomly threw Stomping Grounds into the middle of the set because Jeff hadn't used his Soprano all night. Now it's kind of the other way around. Loving the soprano, keep it up Jeff.

Archives in Cowtown
Old 12-09-2006, 04:09 PM   #33
bbycrei

Quote:
I agree on Half Moon Bay, and I like Howard on Sinister Minister, and a couple others.

On the other hand, I've absolutely loved Jeff's quirky-ness on Frontiers this year. Frontiers has always been a great tune, and he really gave it what it needed to be a major live song.

To take it a step further, his work on the soprano in general has been out of this world. It's so nice that he has a few more soprano songs to play with now. I remember back in '04 Bela was saying he randomly threw Stomping Grounds into the middle of the set because Jeff hadn't used his Soprano all night. Now it's kind of the other way around. Loving the soprano, keep it up Jeff.
Jeff really was a great addition to the band and he really is my favorite member of the band. He just adds so much to anything he can get his hands on. His solo stuff is pretty good too, just need to get some more of his albums too.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:28 PM   #34
Fan#41

Just thought I'd throw this out there; Bela Fleck has won 8 grammy's, and has been nominated more than 20 times. Bela's been nominated in more different catagories than anyone in the history of the Grammy's.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:17 AM   #35
Smokey the Bear
Whats wrong with being sexy?

We need a Live Art 2
Old 12-10-2006, 07:22 AM   #36
DMBTex10101
doing the hippo thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey the Bear View Post
We need a Live Art 2
Agreed. They have plenty of unreleased material to do another disk (or two) like this, I think it's just a matter of time.

Archives in Cowtown
Old 12-10-2006, 11:45 AM   #37
jaguaracer
The Cosmic Hippo

Another TDCer with a hippo av finally jumping into this thread.
Old 12-10-2006, 11:48 AM   #38
jaguaracer
The Cosmic Hippo

As for a contribution ... [Only registered users can see links.]
Take a listen to Jeff's jam on New South Africa.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:00 PM   #39
Fan#41

Dan, do you happen to have any of the Flecktones appearances on Leno?
Old 12-10-2006, 09:08 PM   #40
shnick
Bob Loblaw, Attorney at Law

this was one of my favorite threads at ufck. glad to see the 'tones getting some love here

on a side note, i saw vic two weeks ago at berklee and it was mindblowing. if anyone is lucky enough to be near him when he rolls through, treat yourself to that show

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBI
my car insurance costs more than you get in welfare each month, stop laughing.
shnick is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc