Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2017, 10:21 AM   #761
RageATL
The Dude abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshea999 View Post
Great performance last night

Recorded this at the last minute, but have yet to check it out...psyched he chose that tune, it's fantastic.

My DMB Almanac: http://dmbalmanac.com/Member.aspx?number=576
RageATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 12:21 AM   #762
mario

I went to the show tonight.

But I first listened to the b-sides today and liked it a lot more than the album. But the b-sides really reminded me of mid 90s rock, blind melon, gin blossoms, etc.

That may have influenced what I heard at the show...

First off, I liked this show better than the two shining shows. But that's very personal opinion. If you like mid 90s rock, you may like this. Things are still played fast. The band isn't very good, or at least didn't show it. I thought the three new guys were not that talented and they certainly never showcased the drummer or guitarist.

There were a few really cool things, though. They re arranged Fix It, its great. It sounded like Fleetwood Mac covering Ryan Adams.

Let It Ride had an amazing fucking jam. At least three minutes, unfuckingbelievable. It started out hugely dead-ish, like I thought it might be working to an interpolation of something. Then he went bad ass heavy metal staccato power chords. In combination it was very phish-like.

There was a rocking jam in magnolia Mountain, too. A lot of prog rock in there.

NY, NY was not good. Ryan started singing it faster than the band, the guitarist sped up to him, he slowed down closer to the drummer, which left the first verse or two with three different tempos being played.

They ended with shakedown on 9th, and it was fucking epic. They absolutely destroyed it. It was great.

Jack and anyone going don't read this because it's about the stage show and don't be spoiled:

Spoiler:
they have smoke machines on stage and Ryan spoke earlier in the night the key player has set himself up a pedal for the smoke. This might not make sense, but when they started shakedown, he pounded the smoke pedal. The band is blasting through shakedown and more and more smoke is pumping out until literally the entire stage is nothing but smoke from floor to 30foot ceiling. It was awesome.

Also the video games are gone from stage and now he has these old tube TV, about 30 in all in various stacks and they're synced up to show identical images which they did during some songs, and other times static.

Overall, I liked this show better than the shining. I definitely prefer the direction Ryan is going here. I hope the band either comes together or he gets some better folks.

mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 09:39 AM   #763
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario View Post
I went to the show tonight.

But I first listened to the b-sides today and liked it a lot more than the album. But the b-sides really reminded me of mid 90s rock, blind melon, gin blossoms, etc.

First off, I liked this show better than the two shining shows. But that's very personal opinion. If you like mid 90s rock, you may like this. Things are still played fast. The band isn't very good, or at least didn't show it. I thought the three new guys were not that talented and they certainly never showcased the drummer or guitarist.

I hope the band either comes together or he gets some better folks.
Hmm, well this. This I do not like.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 11:17 AM   #764
mario

It's subtle, mostly just in the guitar effects.

Its better than when everything sounded like hair metal or whatever the shining were doing.

Ryan talked about prisoner (the album) being influenced by 90s music, I know he mentioned Bruce Hornsby.

They played one tune, I think it's either new album or b sides, and I didn't recognize, that I asked my buddy, "if I played this for you and asked if it's Ryan Adams or The Replacements, what would you guess?"

It's weird, but still a good show, just kind of Ryan with a backing band.

Old 05-07-2017, 08:40 PM   #765
mario

Shakedown, don't watch if you have tickets.

Old 05-07-2017, 09:09 PM   #766
mario

Here's the fix it I was talking about.

Old 05-07-2017, 10:03 PM   #767
mario

Here's the crunchy type II jammed magnolia Mountain. It's awesome.

Old 05-09-2017, 12:49 PM   #768
mario

Listening to the B-Sides again today, I am really digging them.

And I realized it was Juli that on Saturday night I thought could be a Replacements song.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:21 AM   #769
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

I really, really enjoyed the show on Sunday. So much better than the shining. I get what Mario is saying about them maybe not being the best instrumentalists in the world, but I am not technically knowledgable enough where that makes a difference. Some of the jams were HOT. Great setlist. Ryan was in a GREAT mood. It's not the cardinals, but sign me up for more of this.

Also, I never would have noticed it if you didn't say it, but I got some 80's Hornsby vibe at times.

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 04:38 PM   #770
madcaphijinks

just got my prisoner box set its pretty awesome
madcaphijinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:53 AM   #771
roshea999
Now that's Oldstyle

Battleship Champion! Beer Dude 2 Champion! Space Invaders Champion!
That Magnolia Mountain sounds great

Really liking what I've seen from the tour.

Been wearing out the b-sides.
roshea999 is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > nDMBc