Tim stay & Butch come back? 37 34.91%
Tim stay & Butch stay gone? 59 55.66%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-29-2010, 09:26 PM   #61
Billy'sTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkoch View Post
fixed
lol I woulda fixed it w/ an & but I'll give ya that. Honestly I don't like any DMB piano songs aside People, People and that ain't coming back....
Billy'sTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:30 PM   #62
harmonikfuzion

i just think that given the size of the DMB catalog its unreasonable to blame Tim for the handfull of songs that dave doesn't play guitar all the way through on.
harmonikfuzion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:35 PM   #63
Billy'sTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonikfuzion View Post
i just think that given the size of the DMB catalog its unreasonable to blame Tim for the handfull of songs that dave doesn't play guitar all the way through on.
It's just annoying.

For example do you think prior to WPB people here would have been happy with Tim playing Last Stop and Dave just singing? I wouldn't have....I would have felt cheated - it'd be kinda like Good Good Time w/o the capo.....

So it's just frustrating to have Tim as a way out....so say they do bring back something like Crazy Easy (or even more obscure like Get In Line) but Tim plays the whole damn thing like Busted Stuff. To me that just kinda ruins it. And once Tim takes it you know it's not going back to Dave.....
Old 09-29-2010, 09:43 PM   #64
FiddySpence
TDCya

well again, busted stuff sounds better with tim doing it. and dave plays on last stop just like he always has so i don't understand what you're trying to say with that.
FiddySpence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:44 PM   #65
Hounds101

Personally my interest in the band started to wane after Butch left. Could be coincidence, but I'm a sucker for keys and subtle fills on a song which Butch brought in spades. He was one of those guys who would be doing stuff that I wouldn't realize until my third listen of the song.

In addition, I loved his solos in the longer songs, I didn't feel that they were boring at all, they had some great musicality to them. Of course I never went to DMB shows to just have things be rocking the whole time, I'm a fan because they have great musicality to go along with their song-writing. I also feel the band started to jam songs a bit less once butch left. Not that they don't jam, but things now feel a bit more scripted than when Butch was here.

Of course all of this is just my opinion, but my favorite shows/songs to listen to happened in the Butch Era... and of course the early era when they were still a young band and experimenting with stuff. I like spontaneity and subtlety in my music, and I feel that some of that left when Butch left the band.
Hounds101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:45 PM   #66
FiddySpence
TDCya

things are FAR less scripted with tim than with butch. that is an objective fact.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:45 PM   #67
Billy'sTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissident View Post
well again, busted stuff sounds better with tim doing it. and dave plays on last stop just like he always has so i don't understand what you're trying to say with that.
It was a song that was brought back just like Busted Stuff. Prior to them actually playing it Tim playing the entire thing was a possibility. Who would have thought Tim would be playing Busted Stuff at Hartford?

As for how Busted Stuff sounds to each their own. Part of the reason I love the '00 and '04 songs were that Dave wrote them in standard on an acoustic. That was big draw for me from day 1 - I just like the acoustic 6-string sound and what he can pull off in standard....
Old 09-29-2010, 09:49 PM   #68
FiddySpence
TDCya

so do you dislike the LWS busted stuff because it essentially sounds like it has an electric lead?
Old 09-29-2010, 09:50 PM   #69
Billy'sTV

Quote:
so do you dislike the LWS busted stuff because it essentially sounds like it has an electric lead?
Where did we all hear Busted Stuff first? Studio?
Old 09-29-2010, 09:50 PM   #70
FiddySpence
TDCya

what i'm trying to get at is i feel like people are bitching about dave not playing more out of principle than it actually sounding inferior to an older version. and that just seems stupid to me, i don't care if dave wrote it originally on an acoustic. if it sounds better with tim playing it on the electric then so be it.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:51 PM   #71
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy'sTV View Post
Where did we all hear Busted Stuff first? Studio?
touche
Old 09-29-2010, 10:00 PM   #72
AndyB
Fred sounds kind of effeminate

Quote:
what i'm trying to get at is i feel like people are bitching about dave not playing more out of principle than it actually sounding inferior to an older version. and that just seems stupid to me, i don't care if dave wrote it originally on an acoustic. if it sounds better with tim playing it on the electric then so be it.
Look at a song like Fool to Think. Lost a lot of balls when Dave switched to acoustic, and got some of them back this year with Tim helping out.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:12 PM   #73
jonkoch

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyB View Post
Look at a song like Fool to Think. Lost a lot of balls when Dave switched to acoustic, and got some of them back this year with Tim helping out.
Little do you know you probably just started a debate over how Tim somehow made Dave rethink his guitar choices for the worse lol
jonkoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:16 PM   #74
DMBTex10101
doing the hippo thing

Damn I voted wrong. DMB w/ Butch >>>>>> DMB w/Tim (in my opinion).

Archives in Cowtown
DMBTex10101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:17 PM   #75
T3RiseInArnoldsPants
urinal cake-walk

What should have happened was:

1) after Roi died, rebranded as Dave Matthews and Friends since the core group that came to be known as DMB was never going to be together again

2) basically had a rotating lineup, where Dave would remain the only constant member and the other core members/Tim/others could opt in or out for tours and thus change things up
T3RiseInArnoldsPants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:41 PM   #76
batleon

Who added the poll?
batleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:44 PM   #77
CRUSHsoccer15

I love Tim and I'd never want him to leave after the last few years (especially 2008).

I would however like them to re-visit some of their jazzier days and slow down some of (if not all of) the catalog. I'm finding 2000 shows really refreshing to listen to. I've grown tired of Tim / Jeff + Carter solos becoming a race to see who can play the fastest and loudest.

If adding Butch back in (with Tim) would help this happen, I'd be up for it. I'm guessing it's never gonna happen though.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:22 PM   #78
AndyB
Fred sounds kind of effeminate

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3RiseInArnoldsPants View Post

1) after Roi died, rebranded as Dave Matthews and Friends since the core group that came to be known as DMB was never going to be together again
Worst idea.

Quote:
2) basically had a rotating lineup, where Dave would remain the only constant member and the other core members/Tim/others could opt in or out for tours and thus change things up
Nope, I was wrong.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:33 PM   #79
jonkoch

Quote:

well that's a fucking retarded idea
jonkoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:40 PM   #80
FiddySpence
TDCya

Quote:

what the fuck

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc