These Days Continue  
Go Back   These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc
Register Donate FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2018, 04:56 AM   #181
Jayes
ISO Hello Again&Broken Things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered View Post
One song encore and it being Stay is awful.

C’mon, that could very easily have been a one-song encore of Bayou or Stand Up. Count your blessings.
Jayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 05:59 AM   #182
SeekUpAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVodka View Post
Wow, what a comically bad encore. I thought for sure rapunzel to follow. Very average set. I managed to have a great time. 3 y.o. daughter napped late and took in the whole show. Only shit spot was a dumb fucking brazilian next to me who showed up late and i had a misunderstanding with. Bought one ticket in section 1 and got the wife and kiddo down.

Ants, typical, SDL and Virginia were highlights
So I'm sure it was their fault.

This set actually doesn't look too bad as a whole, just not very exciting.
SeekUpAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 06:01 AM   #183
ThememanXX
The Real Marlins Man

Banker Brokers Champion! Suduko Champion!
Tournaments Won: 2

That set is really solid, for what it is.
handjob on the lawn during the encore saved it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
Who'd you jerk off?
ThememanXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:03 AM   #184
bsan83
4, 3, 2, 1....

6-22-18 Set Picks/Discussion (Xfinity Center | Mansfield, MA)

Great show last night. Band was fired up and the crowd was fantastic and everyone just fed off that energy. Band acknowledged the crowd multiple times, and acknowledged each other as having nailed songs throughout the night. Super long show that blew well past the curfew. Completely different vibe from the band than in ‘16; they seem like they’re in a great place right now.

1. Dave’s voice sounded great all night. He actually sang the falsetto in Ants (at least the first chorus)! He was super animated and talkative throughout the night.

2. Early set LIOG was such a nice treat. Absolutely gorgeous Tim solo that had me wishing he’d been the one taking that solo for years now. Probably my favorite solo song for him at the moment.

3. I hope Do You Remember is a part of sets for however long they keep going. That song is so uniquely Dave, and fit in perfectly at a point in the set surrounded by older stuff. Talked a bit leading into it about the situation at the border before dedicating it to his son.

4. So Damn Lucky was a cool, random bust out, but the Thank You thing goes for too long. Carter led the crowd singing Thank You after the song. Different jam leading into it, not as totally focused on that same Tim riff and none of the Dave screaming.

5. Loved the Virginia in the Rain break out. Stefan owned that song and he was fired up at the end of it. Wasn’t as much of a set killer as previously.

6. Set could have gone south midset after DDTW, Grey Street, and You and Me all popped up. I really don’t need to see any of those again. But we managed to avoid what I thought was coming up next: Bayou, Stand Up, Steady, Sister, Jimi, and Smooth Rider.

7. I can’t make up my mind on Come On Come On. The Cupid’s arrow line does nothing for me, but there’s something about Dave’s vocal melody that I get into. Glad to have at least caught it once.

8. Typical is the song that got me hooked on this band. First caught it at 7.11.00 and remember just being floored by the 7/8 jam having never heard it before. I go into every show hoping for it, and have missed it every year since 06. I figured by the time we got to Come On Come On that it was far too close to the curfew this time, and fully geeked out when it started up next. Crowd sings along loudly to pretty much all of it. Super long 7/8 jam, and then a super long outro with Buddy developing a cool solo there. Figured this was the set closer given the time.

9. Why I Am has to be the set closer, right? They always get off by curfew here. Nope, here’s Ants. I love the jam they’re doing to it. Dave was super animated acting as conductor of everyone during it.

10. I was feeling Stay for some reason during the encore break, and just seemed to fit well ending the show around 11:15.

11. On the whole, the Come Tomorrow stuff was well placed in the set and it felt like a great amount of it. Glad they’re not just playing 10 Come Tomorrow songs a night and the favorites and calling it a tour.

12. Hadn’t mentioned him yet, but I was really glad that Jeff had some space to show off a bit throughout the set: early on with So Right, midset with Die Trying, and especially late with Typical. This was sorely missing last time.

13. Oh yeah, I love that they brought back Sojourn as part of #41 this year! Rashawn harmonizing with Jeff on it might be one of the best licks he does.

Overall, this was the best Mansfield show in a while. Definitely better than at least 13 N2 and all of 14-16. Looking forward hopefully to some couch touring tonight.
bsan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:25 AM   #185
Cicero

Only the E1 song was cut, Sister. Trying to post a pic of it, but it won't let me attach it.

Last edited by Cicero; 06-23-2018 at 08:26 AM. Reason: upload fail
Cicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 08:50 AM   #186
Jack
Grand Army of Letters

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsan83 View Post
Great show last night. Band was fired up and the crowd was fantastic and everyone just fed off that energy. Band acknowledged the crowd multiple times, and acknowledged each other as having nailed songs throughout the night. Super long show that blew well past the curfew. Completely different vibe from the band than in ‘16; they seem like they’re in a great place right now.

6. Set could have gone south midset after DDTW, Grey Street, and You and Me all popped up. I really don’t need to see any of those again. But we managed to avoid what I thought was coming up next: Bayou, Stand Up, Steady, Sister, Jimi, and Smooth Rider.

11. On the whole, the Come Tomorrow stuff was well placed in the set and it felt like a great amount of it. Glad they’re not just playing 10 Come Tomorrow songs a night and the favorites and calling it a tour.

12. Hadn’t mentioned him yet, but I was really glad that Jeff had some space to show off a bit throughout the set: early on with So Right, midset with Die Trying, and especially late with Typical. This was sorely missing last time..

Overall, this was the best Mansfield show in a while. Definitely better than at least 13 N2 and all of 14-16. Looking forward hopefully to some couch touring tonight.
Great review Bill

The vibe was really different and Dave was super into it from the jump. Definitely not the case in ‘16. And his voice was fantastic.

I got lucky on the bathroom beer/break with grey st and you & me, so no complaints from me on those. But kept expexting Bayou and Stand Up to pop up and made the set very interested as song by song they never did.

If you had asked me to pick the 3 CT songs I most wanted to hear it would have been VITR, Do You Remember and Again and Again. So I was pleased to get those along with She, Come On Come On and (the given) Samurai.

Very good point on Jeff. He was highlighted much more than Ross tonight and Dave was having some fun with him.

Also, in recent years I’ve been gone before the band is done, but we stayed tonight and I was reminded how quickly they get out of there post show. As in years past they all went zooming by us with Carter, Fonz, Jeff/Ross honking and yelling, but for the first time I can remember Dave was out with his son which I thought was really cool. Also funny was that behind these 5 multi million dollar, pimped out buses was like a 1983 Winnebago. Just the visual was humorous but imagining that was buddy and tim’s ride was killing me.

Great night. Long live matthews band!

Another child that's grown old
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:34 AM   #187
mattinmass
heady

That Winnebago was Boyd’s rental for the summer
mattinmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:59 AM   #188
sean52692
You failed this band

Great reviews, glad you all had a great time.

This is the type of set that normally would get killed on here if it was played in MS or Arkansas
Old 06-23-2018, 10:08 AM   #189
BigVodka

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekUpAB View Post
So I'm sure it was their fault.
Um, fuck off?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
As in years past they all went zooming by us with Carter, Fonz, Jeff/Ross honking and yelling, but for the first time I can remember Dave was out with his son which I thought was really cool.
So Dave and his son were at the front of the tour bus as they left? That is very cool.

Yeah the jump was great as was Dave waving his hands around to rev up the Ants jam.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:48 AM   #190
TDunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVodka View Post
Um, fuck off?

So Dave and his son were at the front of the tour bus as they left? That is very cool.

Yeah the jump was great as was Dave waving his hands around to rev up the Ants jam.
You stubbed 3 into 1 seat?
TDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:09 AM   #191
pepelapag
You're Fuckin' Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsan83 View Post

7. I can’t make up my mind on Come On Come On. The Cupid’s arrow line does nothing for me, but there’s something about Dave’s vocal melody that I get into. Glad to have at least caught it once.
This is right where I’m at with this song. The music is so classic DMB sounding to me and the studio version is just amazing. But lyrically the song doesn’t do much for me. The chorus is beautiful and well-delivered, but the Cupid stuff and the bridge just sound like placeholder lyrics.

I think this song fell victim to Dave’s laziness during the Stand Up sessions, and I wonder what it would have been lyrically if he had written it more recently.

A song like steady as we go is garbage musically and lyrically, so it’s easy to dismiss, but COCO is really fantastic musically and to me, has a classic DMB sound. I also wonder given it was a 2006 song how present Boyd might have been on it originally. Despite his near total absence on Stand Up, COCO seems like a song tailor made for him.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:24 AM   #192
patsfan39

I really enjoyed the show last night. Loved the way the show started definitely unique and that’s all I can ask for after having seen them so many times.

I wanted again and again to open, and dave nailed it which was awesome. When I saw the bari I thought it would be so right. I also loved liog in the 3 spot. When he dedicated a song to his son I had a feeling it would be do you remember. Satellite is having a resurgence for me after listening to those Nantucket shows. I think the thank you are fine during SDL but that’s because I’m over that song in general. Show lost some steam after grey street but I thought ended strong. I think he should have swapped don’t drink and Virginia. 41 through the end was great for me and typical brought the house down.

I don’t blame them for playing stay in the encore they played until 11:15. It’s a strict curfew so i was happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mersh View Post
bkdkbbkkddd

the letters he draws with his tongue.
patsfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:27 AM   #193
BigVodka

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDunk View Post
You stubbed 3 into 1 seat?
Yeah. We held the kiddo. I asked the couple on left if they were ok with it before i did it. Seat to the right was empty. For about 3 songs mid set it was crowded then others in the row left and it was fine. Everyone around was cool with it. We had fun. As I tried to ask the dude to my right if he was enjoying the music he started gettiní at me throwing Spanish insults. I donít know what the issue was, some pathetic machismo attitude. Iím happy it didnít keep going, but I did say my peace upon leaving, though he was not receptive to my message.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:59 AM   #194
Lou
Philly Special

I wonder if pig will show up this tour without Boyd. Also where is two step
Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 12:02 PM   #195
sean52692
You failed this band

Seeing some video and pics from the pit - and wow - this stage is low. It looks like the stage is chest level. That's pretty damn cool.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:51 PM   #196
gweeps

Looking forward to hearing this Virginia... have always loved the song.
gweeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 03:29 PM   #197
SuffolkDMB54

First and only show of the tour for me. I had a blast! Went with a couple of friends at the last minute and grabbed lawn tickets. We actually had a perfect view with great sound and no a-holes around us.

I honestly went into the show with low expectations. I've finally reached the point where I've stopped song chasing and setlist complaining. I just decided to simply enjoy a rock concert on a Friday night. Mission accomplished!

I was quite impressed with how well the band sounded. Dave's voice, in my opinion, was great all night. Jeff shined throughout, and Tim was more subtle than I remember from previous shows I've seen. I was also surprised, happily so, to see how quickly Buddy seems to have fit in with the band. You would never know it was only his 15th time sharing the stage with them.

Highlights:

* Loved all the CT material played last night - especially Virginia in the Rain.

*Thought Bayou was coming so I unabashedly jumped for joy upon hearing the opening So Right riff.

*I could hear Typical Situation at every show and I'd never complain.

*So Damn Lucky was nice to hear but, as others have said, the Thank You outro went on a bit too long.

*Speaking of too long...the intro to DDTW. Just get on with it.

*LIOG and Ants were the two songs I thought I'd dislike without the violin. I thought they were both well done!

Overall, I'm happy with my one show of the year. Excited to see where the band goes from here. I'd love to see them keep Buddy and find a replacement on violin.
Old 06-23-2018, 05:34 PM   #198
mja271

Wish I could give an honest review of the show but me and my friends probably spent about 60-70% of it in the VIP lounge . Start was awesome and the band sounded strong on the songs I watched. Good crowd with a good vibe in the venue too, it definitely was trending older than what I was used to when I use to see them more regularly.

Personally this show showed me that I'm just not really into the band anymore because aside from a not super exciting set there was nothing wrong with the show and I just didn't really care. Had a blast but didn't feel compelled to watch attentively and hang on what song was coming next ever. But that's just a me moving on thing that I've known for a bit. Glad to hear everybody else seemed to really enjoy the show.
Quote:
Originally Posted by celluloid hero View Post
This is the most absurd post I've ever made on a message board.
mja271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 06:46 PM   #199
NiCK (Crush)

At least you had a blast.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:50 PM   #200
deedisdone81
Bite My Dick Motherfucker!

Sorry if this has been asked, but were there tapers at this show?
deedisdone81 is offline   Reply With Quote

These Days Continue > The Continuation > DMBc